St. Louis (Mehlville), MO
Jefferson Barracks Share
Uploaded By: fairweather_fan Hole #18 (Taken 4/2009)
3 / 275ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #18 Basket ('B' Placement)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
So so

2-4    7/23/2014   8/19/2014
Review By: MonkeyShine
Pros: Multiple pins, if you're into that kinda thing. I say this as a "pro" because it means potentially you'll find some par-4s.

Nice tree coverage, St. Louis gets pretty hot in the summer, and often muggy, and you'll find a lot of shady spots here, even on most of the "open" fairways. I only recall one section of the course, maybe three or four holes, that involved a great deal of walking with no shade.

There were some memorable holes, a few with distinct "personality". Several play over a dip with underbrush as a hazard. Many challenging tee shots.

The underbrush itself seemed well maintained. I threw a few into some thick spots, and imagined I'd be wasting good time trying to get my disc back, but once I was in it, I had very little trouble navigating, and the ground itself was bare dirt, so there was no grass or weeds concealing my disc. So kudos on that, hazards you want to avoid, but you're not going to tax your stamina in a 30 minute search for a poor shot.
Cons: This course could use some re-design. If I recall, this course was advertised as being designed by one of the best, but I find that hard to believe. Many tee shots pass too close to other tees or other fairways. One fairway requires you to throw hyzer around the next tee pad if there are people waiting to tee off. My sister and I waited for an oncoming group in the fairway next to us, and noticed while we were waiting for them to be out of the way, that the basket they were throwing to was right next to our fairway lie. They even have a sign up on one tee pad, warning to look out for players, as you have to make a blind hyzer shot that puts another fairway in the danger zone.

Multiple pins are a "plus" if you like seeing the occasional par-4, but this course has as many as 6 pins, making it a chore to find where you're throwing to if you're new to the course. If you played this course thrice a week for 6 months, you might just start to get familiar with it.
Other Thoughts: I'd play here again, but next time I'm in St. Louis I will "shop around" for a better course before I come back.

Beautiful Course in a Historic Park

1    5/13/2014   5/19/2014
Review By: Wise Fool
Pros: -Nice concrete tee-pads
-Tee-signs are awesome and a good lay-out each hole, show all of the pin positions, length to each pin positions and have a screw to mark which pin position the basket is currently in, which makes navigation easier.
-Multiple pin-positions on each hole. Most holes seemed to have 4 or more different pin-positions, which would be nice for those who play the course a lot.
-Lots of hole variety on this course. There are open holes, some tightly wooded fairway holes. There are pin positions that are more in the open and then some more tightly wooded pin-positions.
-The course has decent amount of elevation change. Quite a few of the holes incorporate either uphill or downhill into their design.
-I never felt like this course felt repetitive and I always looked forward to stepping up to the next tee-pad to see what was in store for me next.
-Good variety of distances on this course. Depending on the pin position the hole was in, the distance ranged from the lower 200 feet range all the way to 600 feet and over.
-Good use of trees and underbrush to provide the opportunity throw a variety of shots.
-There were a lot of fun memorable holes on this course. Hole 3 was at first a open shot that then made you throw over a big thing of underbrush to a guarded pin position. Hole 15 was a laser straight shot down a tight foliage lined corridor. Hole 16 and 17 were both elevation valley shots over valleys with some underbrush to a more clear area.
-Baskets are in good shape and catch well
Cons: -Erosion is getting really bad on this course. Based on the erosion, I could tell that this course gets a lot traffic. I played this course after a rainstorm and parts of the course were really muddy due to the erosion.
-Several holes play too close to sidewalks or parking lots for comfort. On hole 8 I think it was, I almost nailed a car because the parking lot was very close to the fairway of the hole.
-While there are a lot of fun memorable holes on this course, none of them are overly challenging.
-Parts of the underbrush are a little thick and you could easily lose a disc in it.
-Some navigation issues. There are lots of tee-pads and baskets in the same area, so it is sometimes hard to know which tee-pad is next and which basket is next.
-Baskets can blend in with the foliage and they can be hard to see from the tee-pad at times.
Other Thoughts: While not the most challenging course, this course was a blast to play, with a lot of fun and memorable holes. If you are in the St. Louis area make sure you make it out to this course. This was my favorite course I played on my trip to St. Louis.

Middle of the Road

1    4/25/2014   4/28/2014
Review By: brekko
Pros: Multiple pin positions for every hole, centrally located in StL, closer than some of the other quality courses to downtown.

Starts and finishes in the same spot so you don't have to walk a mile when you finish the course.
Cons: Lack of variety/originality with hole design, it's a decently large scrap of land and there were only 2-3 holes I enjoyed playing or were pleasantly designed (3, 6, and 12) however some of this could be due to the current pin positions, one hole, 14 I believe, is planted directly inside of a stand of bushes, it was like a sick joke by whomever picked that spot.

Poorly connected on many of the holes from one pin to the next pad caused us to spend time asking people where the next hole was (even with the printed map I had) and since they mix and match pin positions on around half the holes I was running up to see where the basket was.
Other Thoughts: I liked the course overall, but of the 5 courses I played in the St Louis metro area, this was easily the least enjoyable, granted I only picked already high rated ones here on DGCR, but it still didn't earn close to a 4 star rating in my book.

Meet me in St Louis

1    4/18/2014   4/21/2014
Review By: BogeyNoMore
Pros: Plays through a popular, well-maintained, city park city.
Disc Play: Wonderfully hilly terrain featuring nice elevation changes and some interesting pin placements. Most fairways have enough trees to obscure some routes, but not so many that there's only one or two. Several ways to play these holes, but all require reasonable shot shaping and control. Several holes are fairly open off the tee, playing to well-guarded baskets (depending on the current placement). #15 is a tight tunnel shot, and there are at least a couple of other tight fairways to challenge your precision. Not quite as long as some other courses in the area, there's still a nice mix of distances to encourage using everything from putters to distance drivers from the tee. Current pin configuration has a major impact on hole shapes, as well as overall distance, with some placements being significantly longer/shorter, guarded/accessible, left/right/straight ahead, behind/around obstacles, on or near slopes/flat ground, but it seems they rotate them to provide a decent balance overall.
Equipment: Single concrete tees are in good shape, so are the baskets. Quality tee signs were free of graffiti and show all possible pin locations and distances. Scorecard w/map at kiosk.
Routing/Nav: Front 9 is a bit broken up, crosses the park road and walk trails a few times, not optimal, but not the worst I've seen. Loops back to parking after #9. Back nine flows out from parking, then back in an uninterrupted and fairly intuitive layout. Tee markers and concrete tees make it easier to get around, as does the map on the scorecard.
Aesthetics: The combo of park style setting and substantial elevation changes makes for a pleasant, visually appealing course.
Fun factor: Routed to provide several downhill tee shots. Many holes open just enough to allow for par saving recoveries if a tree takes you offline. Although the back is a bit brushier than the front, it's not thick brush lining the entire fairway - doesn't seem like there's a particularly high risk of disc loss.
Rotating pins is a nice plus, but only for locals - that said, I wish my local courses did it!
Rest rooms near parking, and between #5 & #6.
Cons: Pretty solid course overall - take these with a grain of salt. Some are more informational than ratings oriented.
Not disc golf dedicated land and several holes play close to the road and walkways. Far from the worst I've ever seen, but I can see some potential for disc vs. non-player interaction.
A few of the "guarded" placements seemed ridiculously so - such that they force a layup to set up a good look at the pin, thus nullifying good drives, resulting in less score separation.
Course is still in decent shape and seems to have aged pretty well to this point, but erosion is taking its toll and is evident in many spots. Some tees could be surrounded with landscaping timbers or stones set flush to the ground to help prevent washing away the remaining soil.
Some fairways are close together (9 and 10 for example), leading to possible interference - be aware of what's going on around you.
Visitors may want to avoid this course after a good soaking. Some slopes will be slippery and low lying areas will be soupy.
Other Thoughts: Not overly challenging, JB is well suited to beginners and intermediate players. It's also one of those courses that would be fun to play repeatedly, and even though they might tear it up, I can see advanced players having a blast here.

Although it wasn't busy when I played, given that it's one of the few 18 holers in the immediate area, and the fun to play setting, I can see this course attracting crowds. Although it could be played fairly quickly, you might want to arrive early if you plan to do so.

Only 12 miles from downtown, the Gateway Arch and Busch Stadium

JB

5+    10/19/2013   11/21/2013
Review By: discdanny
Pros: JB is one of the most diverse courses in the STL area.. with up to 4 pin locations available. It is set in a historical park with civil war era trees that line the fairways and gentle rolling hills. This park is by far one of the most popular courses in the STL region and for very good reason. This course in very challenging yet it can be shot on.

Added Pros Include-
-Concrete tee pads
-Restrooms
-trash cans
-Pavilions
-Sams Liquor

Still one of my favorites

5+    8/4/2013   8/7/2013
Review By: Golden Tuna
This review was updated on 8/28/2013
Pros: Good layout - Front and back both loop back to the parking lot - Tons of pin placements - Concrete tee pads - Easy to navigate - Restrooms throughout the course - Convenient store right off 10's tee pad for water, snacks - they even sell discs - Good variety of shots, Always someone there for a round

JB is a great course that offers a good challenge and always looks different when I'm there. Each holes has at least 3 different pin placements and the baskets are moved all the time. During the winter, the course is usually short, around 5,000 ft. But, during the summer it can stretch out to nearly 8,500 ft. You'll also use just about every disc in your bag as there is rarely duplicated shots. Lots of foliage for good shade, but not too hard to locate errant throws.
Cons: Since this course is so popular it is usually crowded, especially on the weekends. But, as long as you don't mind playing through, or letting other do the same, its not bad.
Other Thoughts: JB has always been one of my favorite courses. It offers a little bit of everything and, if you don't know your way, there is always someone there to show you around. Nice people, great course!

Very Popular

2-4    6/7/2013   6/26/2013
Review By: jjacobs445
Pros: - great layout with good use of terrain
- front 9 and back 9 both loop if short on time
- good use of woods and open shots
- tee signage has very clear information
- multiple pin locations
- concrete pads
- beautiful park
Cons: - very busy course with other players
Other Thoughts: hole #3 is a lot of fun, and so many people have cleared out the brush that finding your disc isn't hard. holes #5 and #9 are nice downhill bombs. holes #4, #6, #7, #13 are good birdie opportunities. tricky shots through the woods make #15, #16, and #17 challenging and fun as well.

i really enjoy this course, and it's obviously popular for a reason. it was always been fairly crowded when i've played, but the players have always been respectful.

JB

5+    6/16/2013   6/19/2013
Review By: bschuff
Pros: Great overall course.
Tons of pin locations.
Beautiful well maintained park.
Soft chains.
200 year old huge trees up and down the course.
Extremely friendly park patrons.
Safe and secure park.
Very nice tee off pads.
Cons: It floods when it rains.
Some trees are a little over grown and could use a good trimming.
Confusing to navigate for first time users of course.
Lots of vegetation make it easy to lose a disc.
Roads are very close to a few holes, make it slightly dangerous at times.
Some holes have a lot of trash around them.
The course can get quite crowded at times since it is such a nice course.
Other Thoughts: Get out there early and beat the crowds. One of my favorite courses in the metro east. Be ready to find a few peoples discs while playing and don't forget to call them if their names are on them. Highly recommended.

JB is Sweet!

2-4    7/23/2011   12/26/2012
Review By: smokey102977
Pros: JB is a great park course. Multiple pins, a great mix of tight and open fairways, a mix of open and tight greens, some slight elevation change occurs throughout the course, and some complex distances meandering through a maze of mature trees makes this course a must play for those who look for a challenge. and still prefer that park setting.
Cons: Do not play after a rain! The course has very poor drainage and water backs up into the course regularly.
Other Thoughts: Play this course before they pull it!

To Quote Thomas Jefferson Im a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.

1    11/24/2012   12/12/2012
Pros: 1) Incredible stand of mature Oak trees and other hardwoods. These trees help make this course so great. You can throw around or under the sprawling branches of these mature trees.
2) Excellent elevation change on this course. There are rolling hills but also a handful of fairly dramatic drops or rises in elevation. This feature coupled with the sprawling trees really helps to make this course so much fun.
3) You will need to have all of your shots available, but you have choices on many of the holes for which shot you want to throw. Rarely are you mandated into a specific shot.
4) Nice signs with all information, Hole #, Par, Distance, and alternate baskets visible.
5) There are plenty of benches all over this course for you to sit down if you get tired or behind a slow group.
6) The tees are very long concrete . . . they seem smooth but I didn't ever notice slippage. I always appreciate larger than smaller.
7) This course felt a little bit like an IL favorite Anna Page. There are pockets of shrubs and brush all over that you throw around or sometimes even into. There are a couple holes where you actually want to end up in the middle of one of these pockets.
8) There is a very unique shot on Hole #3 where you throw straight out but the ground drop off into a hollow area which is filled with a really punishing sprawling shrub. Ideally you will clear about 75-100' of these shrubs and land in the opening around the basket. I have never really had to throw over shrubs between the tee and the basket like this. My description does not do this hole justice, but it is one of the more unique holes I have seen in my 450 courses played.
9) There was a hole (#13) where a tree (3' diameter) had fallen leaving only the stump to the right of the basket but the trunk of the tree protects virtually the entire basket. I had a putt at the basket and I tried to skip the putt off the top of the fallen tree and into the basket. It was also a very unique hole, while some may have cleaned up the fallen tree, they left this tree as it was as a new obstacle.
10) Multiple pins available on many if not all of the holes. I love when courses can be altered, both from a maintenance standpoint (to avoid compaction and erosion) but also from a players perspective. I get bored when I play the same course over and over and just altering the layout a few times a year is enough to change my desire to play the same course.
11) Pin location markers on the tee signs.
12) Next tee arrows are located on small concrete pieces near the baskets.
Cons: 1) There are a lot of leaves left in the middle of the park. I would think a beautiful park like this would get rid of as many leaves as possible. It was the end of November when I played so the park was likely in the condition it would be in all winter. The leaves can eat up some discs for sure.
2) The remodeling that is happening on 14, 15, 16 area has made some slightly awkward holes. I am not sure if things will be remaining where they are or not, but these holes just felt weird.
3) Lots of compaction and erosion happening around tees and some baskets. This is the worst thing about disc golf courses and we need to come up with some options or alternative to avoid this type of issue. Eventually there will be courses that close because of the compaction and erosion.
4) #10 throws right along and potentially over #9 which is always a nightmare.
Other Thoughts: There just are not many cons with this course. The course is awesome and it has a bit of everything and presents a whole lot of variety and challenge. This course feels so much like Anna Page in NC Illinois but with additional challenge and additional elevation. AP is one of my favorites and gets a high rating so this one will get an ever higher rating.
I am so happy I decided to drive to St. Louis at 9PM and was playing this course by 9:30AM. It was a 6 hour drive and I got about 5 hours of sleep before the drive. We came for the Crystal City Cave courses but found a whole lot of great disc golf too. I also played Endicott and both of the courses at Foundation Park along with both of the cave courses. This is one of my favorites from the trip across the board and certainly ends up in my top 75 or so courses played. It is getting harder and harder to compare the best of the best. I might only be able to rank courses above 4.5 discs instead of 4.0. If Martin Dewgarita can handle a top 100 list, I think I better try to do the same.

To Quote Thomas Jefferson "I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it."

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5