St. Louis (Mehlville), MO
3 / 370ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

So so

2-4    7/23/2014   8/19/2014
Review By: MonkeyShine
Pros: Multiple pins, if you're into that kinda thing. I say this as a "pro" because it means potentially you'll find some par-4s.

Nice tree coverage, St. Louis gets pretty hot in the summer, and often muggy, and you'll find a lot of shady spots here, even on most of the "open" fairways. I only recall one section of the course, maybe three or four holes, that involved a great deal of walking with no shade.

There were some memorable holes, a few with distinct "personality". Several play over a dip with underbrush as a hazard. Many challenging tee shots.

The underbrush itself seemed well maintained. I threw a few into some thick spots, and imagined I'd be wasting good time trying to get my disc back, but once I was in it, I had very little trouble navigating, and the ground itself was bare dirt, so there was no grass or weeds concealing my disc. So kudos on that, hazards you want to avoid, but you're not going to tax your stamina in a 30 minute search for a poor shot.
Cons: This course could use some re-design. If I recall, this course was advertised as being designed by one of the best, but I find that hard to believe. Many tee shots pass too close to other tees or other fairways. One fairway requires you to throw hyzer around the next tee pad if there are people waiting to tee off. My sister and I waited for an oncoming group in the fairway next to us, and noticed while we were waiting for them to be out of the way, that the basket they were throwing to was right next to our fairway lie. They even have a sign up on one tee pad, warning to look out for players, as you have to make a blind hyzer shot that puts another fairway in the danger zone.

Multiple pins are a "plus" if you like seeing the occasional par-4, but this course has as many as 6 pins, making it a chore to find where you're throwing to if you're new to the course. If you played this course thrice a week for 6 months, you might just start to get familiar with it.
Other Thoughts: I'd play here again, but next time I'm in St. Louis I will "shop around" for a better course before I come back.

Fun Park Course

1    11/24/2012   11/24/2012
Review By: JHern
Pros: The park and the course are well-kept. Lots of large mature trees to define fairways, and small-scale topography to add a little uphill and downhill to the mix. Good variety of shots, and fun variety of potential routes to choose from on each hole. Some pin positions are set up on stumps and such, making for fun greens. I liked seeing the map of the course layout in advance, we never got lost. The bulletin board was even stocked with score cards.
Cons: The course is on the short side, there was only one long-ish hole that I couldn't reach from the tee. A few holes have only a very small window to aim for off the tee, or the pin is back in the bushes, such that a bit of luck comes into play. I didn't find the course to be very challenging, and I imagine that local pros probably shoot ridiculously low scores, and that scoring separation is lower than usual (confirmed by looking at the dubs scores posted on the bulletin board). The course flow was strange in a couple places, with 2 consecutive tees next to one another at one point. I think the holes are a bit crowded at 1,9,10,18, the designers were trying too hard to play back to the parking lot twice, while there isn't a lot of space to work with in that part of the course.
Other Thoughts: With an average DGCR rating over 4/5, I was expecting a great deal more. This is a fun little 18 holer, but it is not a 4. I've rarely seen a worse case of grade inflation for a course in all my experience using DGCR as a disc golf travel guide.

The Enigma

5+    5/18/2011   5/21/2011
Review By: stubborn puppet
This review was updated on 7/28/2011
Pros: I love the terrain variety and the general layout of most of the course. The long concrete tees are a plus and there are benches at every one. Short walking distances from basket to the next tee. There are many opportunities to use a good variety of discs and styles to get the right approach and there are so many shots that tease you to take a gamble when you know you ought to play it safe.
It's nice that there is a decent restroom between 5 and 6. Good place to meet lots of other DG players.
Brand new (well refurbished to new condition) baskets with great, custom number plates.
Cons: This course is almost always way too crowded. I have frequently had to wait for more than 10 minutes to throw at each tee because of the crowds. This will often lead to other players trying to get you to 'group-up' with them which usually ends up making your game take even longer. Much of the time, the people inviting turn out to be drunk or subject you to unwelcome/inappropriate jokes and comments. Another "con" to this course is the very thick, overgrown vines that are almost completely choking out all the smaller trees and bushes around the course and make it near impossible to find a disc that goes even a few feet off the fairway on any of the holes. It's evident that people lose a whole lot of discs here because I keep finding other peoples MIA discs while looking for mine (which I almost never find). Another con is the bog that has formed in the valley in the middle of holes 9 and 10, but the folks from the local club have built two very nice little bridges across most of it (thanks).
Other Thoughts: There IS a lot to love about this course, but you ought to go at odd times when everybody else is either at work or still in bed - the course is much more fun then. I'd probably avoid this course during the late spring, summer and early fall unless you are cool with losing discs or are good enough to always throw exactly where you want and as far as you want. Wait until all the foliage has fallen off and/or go in the early spring before it all grows back to have a much less stressful game. Seriously, the parks dept. here needs to get the vines and underbrush cleaned up before it gets any worse and goes beyond the point of recovery.

update

5+    7/2/2010   7/5/2010
Review By: SIQWON-STL
This review was updated on 7/6/2010
Pros: not a very easy course for beginners. lots of elevation changes some holes rely on accuracy rather than distance.
Cons: the course doesn't flow very well from hole to hole. if you are playing this course for the first time you will spend alot of time looking for the tees. it's a good idea to go with someone who knows the place well. the kids from the apartments on the back 9 will pick up your discs and run off with them.
Other Thoughts: as of right now they have most of the baskets in a crazy "d" position which makes them very hard to find.

1    6/27/2009   8/4/2009
Review By: championlog22
Pros: Very big course. Nice paved road. Lots of very open holes and a few narrow ones. Bathroom and water fountain and benches. Multiple pins. Good concrete tee boxes.
Cons: I can't remember which hole (3 or 4) that has a huge clump of trees and underbrush that if you throw into, it will suck trying to find your disc. Over half of the holes are out of sight from the teebox. Since the place is so big, you have to walk 600 feet to find the hole, walk 600 feet back to the tee, then walk the 600 again after you throw. One hole's placement is completely unreasonable. The map shows hole in one pin placement which was the wrong one at the time I played. I had to ask a local where the hole was and still couldn't find it until I explored a little. Must be a massive disc eater course because when I played there, I found 4 discs.
Other Thoughts: Have someone with you who has played before and you will get done an hour sooner.