St. Louis (Mehlville), MO
3 / 325ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5

5+    10/19/2013   11/21/2013
Review By: discdanny
Pros: JB is one of the most diverse courses in the STL area.. with up to 4 pin locations available. It is set in a historical park with civil war era trees that line the fairways and gentle rolling hills. This park is by far one of the most popular courses in the STL region and for very good reason. This course in very challenging yet it can be shot on.

Added Pros Include-
-Concrete tee pads
-Restrooms
-trash cans
-Pavilions
-Sams Liquor

Still one of my favorites

5+    8/4/2013   8/7/2013
Review By: Golden Tuna
This review was updated on 8/28/2013
Pros: Good layout - Front and back both loop back to the parking lot - Tons of pin placements - Concrete tee pads - Easy to navigate - Restrooms throughout the course - Convenient store right off 10's tee pad for water, snacks - they even sell discs - Good variety of shots, Always someone there for a round

JB is a great course that offers a good challenge and always looks different when I'm there. Each holes has at least 3 different pin placements and the baskets are moved all the time. During the winter, the course is usually short, around 5,000 ft. But, during the summer it can stretch out to nearly 8,500 ft. You'll also use just about every disc in your bag as there is rarely duplicated shots. Lots of foliage for good shade, but not too hard to locate errant throws.
Cons: Since this course is so popular it is usually crowded, especially on the weekends. But, as long as you don't mind playing through, or letting other do the same, its not bad.
Other Thoughts: JB has always been one of my favorite courses. It offers a little bit of everything and, if you don't know your way, there is always someone there to show you around. Nice people, great course!

Very Popular

2-4    6/7/2013   6/26/2013
Review By: jjacobs445
Pros: - great layout with good use of terrain
- front 9 and back 9 both loop if short on time
- good use of woods and open shots
- tee signage has very clear information
- multiple pin locations
- concrete pads
- beautiful park
Cons: - very busy course with other players
Other Thoughts: hole #3 is a lot of fun, and so many people have cleared out the brush that finding your disc isn't hard. holes #5 and #9 are nice downhill bombs. holes #4, #6, #7, #13 are good birdie opportunities. tricky shots through the woods make #15, #16, and #17 challenging and fun as well.

i really enjoy this course, and it's obviously popular for a reason. it was always been fairly crowded when i've played, but the players have always been respectful.

5+    6/16/2013   6/19/2013
Review By: bschuff
Pros: Great overall course.
Tons of pin locations.
Beautiful well maintained park.
Soft chains.
200 year old huge trees up and down the course.
Extremely friendly park patrons.
Safe and secure park.
Very nice tee off pads.
Cons: It floods when it rains.
Some trees are a little over grown and could use a good trimming.
Confusing to navigate for first time users of course.
Lots of vegetation make it easy to lose a disc.
Roads are very close to a few holes, make it slightly dangerous at times.
Some holes have a lot of trash around them.
The course can get quite crowded at times since it is such a nice course.
Other Thoughts: Get out there early and beat the crowds. One of my favorite courses in the metro east. Be ready to find a few peoples discs while playing and don't forget to call them if their names are on them. Highly recommended.

JB is Sweet!

2-4    7/23/2011   12/26/2012
Review By: smokey102977
Pros: JB is a great park course. Multiple pins, a great mix of tight and open fairways, a mix of open and tight greens, some slight elevation change occurs throughout the course, and some complex distances meandering through a maze of mature trees makes this course a must play for those who look for a challenge. and still prefer that park setting.
Cons: Do not play after a rain! The course has very poor drainage and water backs up into the course regularly.
Other Thoughts: Play this course before they pull it!

To Quote Thomas Jefferson Im a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.

1    11/24/2012   12/12/2012
Pros: 1) Incredible stand of mature Oak trees and other hardwoods. These trees help make this course so great. You can throw around or under the sprawling branches of these mature trees.
2) Excellent elevation change on this course. There are rolling hills but also a handful of fairly dramatic drops or rises in elevation. This feature coupled with the sprawling trees really helps to make this course so much fun.
3) You will need to have all of your shots available, but you have choices on many of the holes for which shot you want to throw. Rarely are you mandated into a specific shot.
4) Nice signs with all information, Hole #, Par, Distance, and alternate baskets visible.
5) There are plenty of benches all over this course for you to sit down if you get tired or behind a slow group.
6) The tees are very long concrete . . . they seem smooth but I didn't ever notice slippage. I always appreciate larger than smaller.
7) This course felt a little bit like an IL favorite Anna Page. There are pockets of shrubs and brush all over that you throw around or sometimes even into. There are a couple holes where you actually want to end up in the middle of one of these pockets.
8) There is a very unique shot on Hole #3 where you throw straight out but the ground drop off into a hollow area which is filled with a really punishing sprawling shrub. Ideally you will clear about 75-100' of these shrubs and land in the opening around the basket. I have never really had to throw over shrubs between the tee and the basket like this. My description does not do this hole justice, but it is one of the more unique holes I have seen in my 450 courses played.
9) There was a hole (#13) where a tree (3' diameter) had fallen leaving only the stump to the right of the basket but the trunk of the tree protects virtually the entire basket. I had a putt at the basket and I tried to skip the putt off the top of the fallen tree and into the basket. It was also a very unique hole, while some may have cleaned up the fallen tree, they left this tree as it was as a new obstacle.
10) Multiple pins available on many if not all of the holes. I love when courses can be altered, both from a maintenance standpoint (to avoid compaction and erosion) but also from a players perspective. I get bored when I play the same course over and over and just altering the layout a few times a year is enough to change my desire to play the same course.
11) Pin location markers on the tee signs.
12) Next tee arrows are located on small concrete pieces near the baskets.
Cons: 1) There are a lot of leaves left in the middle of the park. I would think a beautiful park like this would get rid of as many leaves as possible. It was the end of November when I played so the park was likely in the condition it would be in all winter. The leaves can eat up some discs for sure.
2) The remodeling that is happening on 14, 15, 16 area has made some slightly awkward holes. I am not sure if things will be remaining where they are or not, but these holes just felt weird.
3) Lots of compaction and erosion happening around tees and some baskets. This is the worst thing about disc golf courses and we need to come up with some options or alternative to avoid this type of issue. Eventually there will be courses that close because of the compaction and erosion.
4) #10 throws right along and potentially over #9 which is always a nightmare.
Other Thoughts: There just are not many cons with this course. The course is awesome and it has a bit of everything and presents a whole lot of variety and challenge. This course feels so much like Anna Page in NC Illinois but with additional challenge and additional elevation. AP is one of my favorites and gets a high rating so this one will get an ever higher rating.
I am so happy I decided to drive to St. Louis at 9PM and was playing this course by 9:30AM. It was a 6 hour drive and I got about 5 hours of sleep before the drive. We came for the Crystal City Cave courses but found a whole lot of great disc golf too. I also played Endicott and both of the courses at Foundation Park along with both of the cave courses. This is one of my favorites from the trip across the board and certainly ends up in my top 75 or so courses played. It is getting harder and harder to compare the best of the best. I might only be able to rank courses above 4.5 discs instead of 4.0. If Martin Dewgarita can handle a top 100 list, I think I better try to do the same.

To Quote Thomas Jefferson "I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it."

Good, but not a great course

2-4    11/25/2012   11/28/2012
Review By: ervin
This review was updated on 3/14/2013
Pros: It's a fun course overall. Many of the holes have demanding placements of your drives. You can't just grip'n'rip and expect to score really well here. The chains are ultra-soft. Almost like Ozzie Smith's glove back in the 80's, and the course has a variety of hyzer and anhyzer shots. Overall it's a really fun afternoon of disc.
Cons: Some of the fairways are really tight, and you're often throwing over or into another holes fairway. The course is often really crowded, but this serves to have a couple of people to play with at all times.
Other Thoughts: I was really expecting something phenomenal when I saw a 4/5 on dgcoursereview. I liked the course, but no more than I enjoyed playing Endicott and certainly no more than the Centralia course about an hour east of JB. It's not that the course isn't great fun, but it's not in the top 15% of courses I've played. The fairways are ultra-tight and there are more than 4 holes where you're waiting for another hole to drive before you can. It's a solid 18 which is worth the 2 hours to play--just be aware that during Sunday's the course is packed with people and is really untenable in terms of a speedy efficient round.

Fun Park Course

1    11/24/2012   11/24/2012
Review By: JHern
Pros: The park and the course are well-kept. Lots of large mature trees to define fairways, and small-scale topography to add a little uphill and downhill to the mix. Good variety of shots, and fun variety of potential routes to choose from on each hole. Some pin positions are set up on stumps and such, making for fun greens. I liked seeing the map of the course layout in advance, we never got lost. The bulletin board was even stocked with score cards.
Cons: The course is on the short side, there was only one long-ish hole that I couldn't reach from the tee. A few holes have only a very small window to aim for off the tee, or the pin is back in the bushes, such that a bit of luck comes into play. I didn't find the course to be very challenging, and I imagine that local pros probably shoot ridiculously low scores, and that scoring separation is lower than usual (confirmed by looking at the dubs scores posted on the bulletin board). The course flow was strange in a couple places, with 2 consecutive tees next to one another at one point. I think the holes are a bit crowded at 1,9,10,18, the designers were trying too hard to play back to the parking lot twice, while there isn't a lot of space to work with in that part of the course.
Other Thoughts: With an average DGCR rating over 4/5, I was expecting a great deal more. This is a fun little 18 holer, but it is not a 4. I've rarely seen a worse case of grade inflation for a course in all my experience using DGCR as a disc golf travel guide.

2-4    7/21/2012   7/21/2012
Review By: birdman101
This review was updated on 1/10/2013
Pros: This course is in a large county park, that has biking and walking trails and some other park type features, but for the most part the disc golf course is the only thing in the area, so the walkers, joggers, etc aren't ever really in the way.

Nice large concrete tees, with benches and trashcans at each. Most also have a small brush or broom on the tee sign post, or under one of the benches for cleaning them off. The new tee signs are 10000 times better than the old ones. They show the 4 or 5 different positions on each hole, and have distances, and have a screw next to the distance of the current position.

This course requires a variety of shots, and depending on the pin position each individual hole could require something completely different.

Several holes (3,4,5,10,16, and 17) require you to throw over or around some pretty nasty woody brush, which comes into play on most holes. The other holes play up and down the rolling hills, and under/ through large oak trees.

holes 1 and 10 start right by the parking lot, where there is a shelter, restroom, and drinking fountains. holes 9 and 18 baskets are right by the same parking lot.
There is a small concrete pad next to each pin position with an arrow pointing to the next tee, but some of them need to be repainted.

Cons: Not many to speak of, but.....

The path from 4's tee to the pins is really rough, you can walk around instead of through the woods, but that takes time and part of the time you will be down in that mess.

Trash can be an issue on the last 4 or 5 holes due to the apartments that run along there. They are a little sketchy but I have never had a problem.

Hole 5's tee can get some shots from 4's tee at it, there is a net in place that should help, but you never know
Other Thoughts: Several blind shots, so if its your first time you may need to walk some fairways to be sure of where the basket is.

along with that make sure its clear before you throw.

This course can be busy. Seems to be one of the more popular courses in the area. Most of the guys seem to be nice and know what they are doing and talking about.

THERE IS APPARENTLY A WATER PARK GOING IN BACK BY HOLE 15, SO THERE IS MOST LIKELY A REDESIGN HAPPENING.

Jefferson Barracks

5+    7/5/2012   7/6/2012
Review By: catkiller12
Pros: 1) This course is definitely not boring. It presents so much variety. No two holes are alike, and each hole presents its own challenge(s).

2) The course is very fair and well designed. Most of the holes are challenging but not impossible. I usually have an opportunity to make at least par if not birdie.

3) Most of the course's scenery is simply beautiful. There is a lot of green and there is no shortage of trees. I find the trees quite nice (except when they get in the way of my discs) during the summer months. They provide excellent shade during a hot summer afternoon. The course is well maintained and very clean.

4) I usually go as soon as the park opens, and there aren't very many people on the course that early in the morning. When I do encounter other players, they are very friendly or at the very least, mind their own business. If I had a question, I wouldn't hesitate to ask other players on the course.
Cons: 1) The course might be a little confusing to navigate for first time players. The first time I played there my father-in-law and I were a little lost sometimes finding the next hole. The signage wasn't that great back then, but the new signs out there are a big improvement.

2) Sometimes the baskets get moved around to different pins, which is nice for the sake of variety, but sometimes I have to search around for the basket to be sure I am throwing the discs in the right direction.

3) Be careful on holes #3 and #4. Those holes have a ton of vegetation, which makes drives interesting if you make a bad first throw. I've almost lost a couple of my drivers on those holes. I did lose one driver on hole #5 so be careful when trying to toss over that heavy brush.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course in the St. Louis area. I am relatively new to this sport, but by playing mostly at Jefferson Barracks, I have watched my game improve dramatically. If you are a newbie, don't be afraid to play this course. It's a blast! I usually feel disappointed when I've finished hole #18. Sometimes I just have to satisfy myself with another round of 18 holes.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5