St. Louis (Mehlville), MO
Jefferson Barracks Share
Uploaded By: fairweather_fan Hole #7 (Taken 9/2009)
Hole #7 Tee (OB parking lot/road visible on left)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
JB is the Place to Be

1    10/26/2016   12/5/2016
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: There are are a lot of great holes at Jefferson Barracks, bottom line. That's what is most important to me, of course, concrete tees with good signage and proper baskets like these are always a nice touch. And the combination of old grown trees and big grassy hills provides the foundation for many tricky, fun lines. There are converging 9's, if you can't fit in the entire 18 for some crazy reason. I couldn't decide between the two halves myself, all 18 is a must, no question. I understand most if not all of the holes have multiple pin locations, the configuration I played was excellent, and the versatility is an added bonus. The first hole is a nice opener that isn't too long, slightly downhill with a fair amount of trees to negotiate. Hole 2 is longer, also some drop in elevation, with a little bend toward the right and generous fairway through a few good size trees. Hole 3 is when I began to smile. Not super long, but a nice fun drive into a pocket of brushy woods on a hillside that is technical enough punish an errant throw and reward a great one. 4 is another fun throw across great contours and a fair amount of thick rough to make it hard on you if you miss the line badly. The magic continues on hole 5, with an elevated tee and a sweeping line around and over vegetation and trees. Hole 6 is ok, fairly flat and open hole with good birdie potential, and if you look directly to the left from that tee, you will see hole 7. It's a little longer than 6, also with fewer trees, sloping downhill right to left where the pin is placed. 8 runs alongside the road, which is OB, and it's a long one. Tough par 3, but not a lot of elevation or trees adding to the difficulty level. 9 is over the flat and up the hillside next to the parking lot. Kind of longish, and a couple of trees protecting the basket. 10 was really cool. The largest elevation change to this point, and my first birdie of the day. I bombed a big RHBH hyzer down the hill, and avoided the clusters of shrubs on the left side of the fairway, landing just past the tree pin high and about 20 feet from the pin. 11 is a nice hole, respectable distance and a couple big trees, with a slope running downhill if you overshoot the pin. 12 is a crazy line, downhill and then up again, with mature trees early, lots of scrubby growth at the bottom you will hopefully fly over the top of, and more trees as you climb the opposite side. I threw two drives, the first bonked and the second scrubbed out and hit bottom. I would have loved to see that perfect drive, but couldn't get it even with an extra try. Took me 6 very frustrating throws. It would be a lovely sight, maybe I can get it next time. 13 is another downhill fairway, great elevation change, and a straight shot down the middle of a few big old trees. I like these shots, and nailed this one, making a great flexing drive and a 15 foot putt for my second and final birdie of the round. As I walked to the tee at 14 a fawn leapt out of the cozy nook in the dense foliage and bounced across the grass. This hole is ok, fairway is on a significantly slant, downhill right to left, and one large tree protecting the target. 15 is a shorty, but with a lot of crap on both sides of a narrow lane, and a few branches over head also. It got me for a bogey after a terrible drive. 16 is another wild one, a tunnel shot bending a bit right over a low spot filled with thick rough. I liked this one a lot too, but took another bogey. 17 doesn't let up. It is longer than 16 but doesn't have as much elevation, and it also has a big left to right curve in the fairway. Featuring once again, several large trees, and dense undergrowth on the right side. I felt a little better about taking a 4 on this hole. 18 finishes well, and with another big flex shot around trees and over rolling slopes. The basket is tightly guarded by a shield of smaller trees with a window to approach from the right. Another one where the perfect drive is tough, but not impossible to make a birdie.
Cons: The layout is kind of choppy on the front 9, I would have liked to have a course map after hole 5, but I figured it out eventually. There are road crossings between holes 1 & 2, 5 & 6, and 7 & 8. I was able to follow the flow of the back 9 loop pretty well. There was a few spots of mud here and there. Hole 9 and 10 are kind of close together, and a throw that goes out of control could be hazardous of other players are walking the course. A couple of places where walking trails, roads, and other park users may come in close proximity to the disc golf areas. Also a little bit of litter, which may be unsightly, but will not affect play under most circumstances. PSA: throw ya garbage in the trashcan, thanks.
Other Thoughts: A perfect park for a disc golf course, and way more great holes than average ones. Weather was also nearly perfect on my visit, fortunately. Seasonally more difficult when the summer canopy is fully grown in I would guess. A lot of the leaves were beginning to fall at the time I played it. Overall, I think Jefferson Barracks is a great course, even though I didn't put up a good score. 65 with 7 pars, 6 bogeys, 2 doubles, a triple, and 2 deuces. Not too good at all. Sure, I could do a lot better, but par of 54 is a really great score for most players here I would guess. I threw some lousy shots that day. On the other hand I had a couple of great ones also. I have wanted to get to this course since the first time I visited St. Louis in 2004. After much anticipation, I can report to you that it is pretty awesome. I am sure any time the weather is decent you will usually find some people playing here. No secret to most of the authors of dozens of reviews prior to mine, or to all of those who may have been slinging plastic in this park for a couple of decades now. St. Louis has some good things going on these days, so there's no reason not to find an excuse to plan that trip. Even if disc golf IS the reason for the trip, JB might just be worth it.

Good course, but keep your eyes open

1    9/25/2016   9/26/2016
Review By: itsmerowe
Pros: Nice mixture of elevation changes.

Good use of trees and foilage - shooting over, under and tunnel shots abound.

Great signs! Other parks should take note...Finally signs that had different pars for different basket positions! I wish our local course would take notes on this.

Very well maintained, which is probably why it's so busy.

Plenty of tables at each tee pad, and bathrooms aren't hard to find.
Cons: Busy park. We had a line of people waiting behind us, as we were waiting on others in front of us. We let some others more familiar with the layout play ahead of us twice to buy us some time, but it wasn't long before we had people waiting on us again.

WATCH OUT: A lot of fairways throw over other holes. The holes are very tightly squeezed in a small area. We heard a truck get nailed with a disc and heard the moans of either the driver or the thrower. A lot of baskets are right by the road.

Despite what I had read, the signs didn't tell us which position the basket was in - some had 5 positions - and we spent a lot of time trying to scout ahead to find baskets.

I assume so many basket positions is due to the fact there is only one tee pad per hole. Not really a con, I guess.
Other Thoughts: A really fun course, but if it's your first time, try to come when it isn't busy - which isn't a Sunday at 9am.

Challenging but Fair

2-4    6/2/2016   6/10/2016
Review By: bwgrotha1s
Pros: -Very smooth course; most holes have well kept fairways and disc retrieval is easy, even in wooded holes.
-Some holes have up to 5 pin placements, variety is the spice of life.
-Course offers many chances for players to "impress themselves."
-Most players here have great sportsmanship and are extremely courteous.
-Helpful maps at kiosk for newcomers
Cons: -A few overly technical holes (#3 and #4's blue pin placements).
-Having so many different pin placements requires players to scout the basket's position before throwing on most holes.
-Course and park are very nice but reside in a questionable suburb.
Other Thoughts: -One of the elite courses in St. Louis county, very much worth the trip.

Jefferson Barracks (JB)

2-4    5/9/2016   5/9/2016
Review By: jvbh792
Pros: Bigger course with a few true par 4 holes. Very challenging tee shots. The course uses the trees it has very well (a few guardian trees, a few window shots, a few ceiling shots)

Probably the bets maintained course I've played on in St. Louis as far as consistent grass height and course marking. The flow of the course is easy to follow and pins are easy to locate.

FAVORITE PART behind hole 9 there is a liquor store that is a licensed innova store as well. Need I say more?
Cons: Lacks a true forested hole. One of the more crowded courses (because its a good course and well maintained)

Best Course in St Louis

5+    11/7/2015   11/9/2015
Review By: mdejong
Pros: First of all, this course is in a gorgeous park just outside the city of St. Louis. There aren't many pedestrians walking near the course, so you don't have to worry about them slowing you down. There is an amazing variety of elevation changes on this course, and an even better variety of wooded vs. open fairways. This course is challenging, and I always leave wishing I had some shots back. If you can only play one course in St. Louis, this should be the one.
Cons: The ground is in pretty rough shape in some places. A good bit of erosion on the hills and soft spots and holes in the fairway that could cause a rolled ankle.
Other Thoughts: Overall, it's a fantastic course. I love playing it whenever I get the chance.

Nice gentle challenge

1    7/5/2015   7/5/2015
Review By: TheSinator
Pros: I really like the elevation changes, as there are some nice rolling hills that increased the challenge. There are a lot of shrubs that come into play, but the cool thing is that it's pretty well-trampled beneath, which made it easier to find some of my bad drives.

The signage was fantastic, showing each of the possible pin locations (most holes have at least 4) and their distances. Great tee pads, with benches and hooks to hang bags.

There were two locals who were extremely nice and helpful that made the experience into a nice round.
Cons: Poison ivy. There is a decent amount of poison ivy on the course, which sucks considering how much greenage (trees/shrubs) there is.
Other Thoughts: There has been a ton of rain recently, and I was expecting the course to be a lot wetter tan it was, so there's some pretty good drainage.

I really like hole #3, where you have to drive over a huge shrub patch. I do wish, however, that more holes had protected pins, as many if the puns are in a wide open or semi-open area. Most approach shots were too easy. Being VERY picky, I think less distance and more pin protection would make things more interesting. With that bring said, this is a great course that I would love to play again.

5+    5/17/2015   5/18/2015
Review By: TheGodfather
Pros: I love the signs on each hole. They give a pin location with the distance. Multiple pin locations. It seems like they change the hole locations all the time which keeps it interesting.
Cons: Hole #3 is a disaster! I lost my Valkrie disc there yesterday. Seems like they could keep the shade in the front but all the brush in the middle causes for chaos & lost discs. We searched for about 20 minutes for the lost disc & didn't find it. I really hope they clean this hole up soon.
Other Thoughts: Other than hole #3 the course is one of my favorites.

So so

2-4    7/23/2014   8/19/2014
Review By: MonkeyShine
Pros: Multiple pins, if you're into that kinda thing. I say this as a "pro" because it means potentially you'll find some par-4s.

Nice tree coverage, St. Louis gets pretty hot in the summer, and often muggy, and you'll find a lot of shady spots here, even on most of the "open" fairways. I only recall one section of the course, maybe three or four holes, that involved a great deal of walking with no shade.

There were some memorable holes, a few with distinct "personality". Several play over a dip with underbrush as a hazard. Many challenging tee shots.

The underbrush itself seemed well maintained. I threw a few into some thick spots, and imagined I'd be wasting good time trying to get my disc back, but once I was in it, I had very little trouble navigating, and the ground itself was bare dirt, so there was no grass or weeds concealing my disc. So kudos on that, hazards you want to avoid, but you're not going to tax your stamina in a 30 minute search for a poor shot.
Cons: This course could use some re-design. If I recall, this course was advertised as being designed by one of the best, but I find that hard to believe. Many tee shots pass too close to other tees or other fairways. One fairway requires you to throw hyzer around the next tee pad if there are people waiting to tee off. My sister and I waited for an oncoming group in the fairway next to us, and noticed while we were waiting for them to be out of the way, that the basket they were throwing to was right next to our fairway lie. They even have a sign up on one tee pad, warning to look out for players, as you have to make a blind hyzer shot that puts another fairway in the danger zone.

Multiple pins are a "plus" if you like seeing the occasional par-4, but this course has as many as 6 pins, making it a chore to find where you're throwing to if you're new to the course. If you played this course thrice a week for 6 months, you might just start to get familiar with it.
Other Thoughts: I'd play here again, but next time I'm in St. Louis I will "shop around" for a better course before I come back.

Beautiful Course in a Historic Park

1    5/13/2014   5/19/2014
Review By: Wise Fool
Pros: -Nice concrete tee-pads
-Tee-signs are awesome and a good lay-out each hole, show all of the pin positions, length to each pin positions and have a screw to mark which pin position the basket is currently in, which makes navigation easier.
-Multiple pin-positions on each hole. Most holes seemed to have 4 or more different pin-positions, which would be nice for those who play the course a lot.
-Lots of hole variety on this course. There are open holes, some tightly wooded fairway holes. There are pin positions that are more in the open and then some more tightly wooded pin-positions.
-The course has decent amount of elevation change. Quite a few of the holes incorporate either uphill or downhill into their design.
-I never felt like this course felt repetitive and I always looked forward to stepping up to the next tee-pad to see what was in store for me next.
-Good variety of distances on this course. Depending on the pin position the hole was in, the distance ranged from the lower 200 feet range all the way to 600 feet and over.
-Good use of trees and underbrush to provide the opportunity throw a variety of shots.
-There were a lot of fun memorable holes on this course. Hole 3 was at first a open shot that then made you throw over a big thing of underbrush to a guarded pin position. Hole 15 was a laser straight shot down a tight foliage lined corridor. Hole 16 and 17 were both elevation valley shots over valleys with some underbrush to a more clear area.
-Baskets are in good shape and catch well
Cons: -Erosion is getting really bad on this course. Based on the erosion, I could tell that this course gets a lot traffic. I played this course after a rainstorm and parts of the course were really muddy due to the erosion.
-Several holes play too close to sidewalks or parking lots for comfort. On hole 8 I think it was, I almost nailed a car because the parking lot was very close to the fairway of the hole.
-While there are a lot of fun memorable holes on this course, none of them are overly challenging.
-Parts of the underbrush are a little thick and you could easily lose a disc in it.
-Some navigation issues. There are lots of tee-pads and baskets in the same area, so it is sometimes hard to know which tee-pad is next and which basket is next.
-Baskets can blend in with the foliage and they can be hard to see from the tee-pad at times.
Other Thoughts: While not the most challenging course, this course was a blast to play, with a lot of fun and memorable holes. If you are in the St. Louis area make sure you make it out to this course. This was my favorite course I played on my trip to St. Louis.

Middle of the Road

1    4/25/2014   4/28/2014
Review By: brekko
Pros: Multiple pin positions for every hole, centrally located in StL, closer than some of the other quality courses to downtown.

Starts and finishes in the same spot so you don't have to walk a mile when you finish the course.
Cons: Lack of variety/originality with hole design, it's a decently large scrap of land and there were only 2-3 holes I enjoyed playing or were pleasantly designed (3, 6, and 12) however some of this could be due to the current pin positions, one hole, 14 I believe, is planted directly inside of a stand of bushes, it was like a sick joke by whomever picked that spot.

Poorly connected on many of the holes from one pin to the next pad caused us to spend time asking people where the next hole was (even with the printed map I had) and since they mix and match pin positions on around half the holes I was running up to see where the basket was.
Other Thoughts: I liked the course overall, but of the 5 courses I played in the St Louis metro area, this was easily the least enjoyable, granted I only picked already high rated ones here on DGCR, but it still didn't earn close to a 4 star rating in my book.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6