St. Louis (Mehlville), MO
Jefferson Barracks Share
Uploaded By: fairweather_fan Hole #18 (Taken 4/2009)
3 / 275ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #18 Basket ('B' Placement)

1    5/17/2010   5/17/2010
Review By: DriveCrusher2
Pros: Concrete pads, good distances on the each hole. Many obstacles on each hole also known as trees and there are lots of them on every hole. Challenges your throw and and accuracy as well as throwing strength. Can't really unleash a drive on any hole but have to throw drive for distance and place it well. Locals seem nice.
Cons: Tee boxes were very narrow and when teeing off some tees were restricted due to the bushes on either side were either in front of the tee where they were not supposed to be or on the sides making it difficult to achieve the throw i wanted (felt crowded). VERY hard to navigate if you have never played it before, got to hole 6 finished it and couldn't find hole 7. No maps or signs that tell where thew hole is located just a sign that has hole number, a pin placement letter and distance (ex. A 325 ft) thats it, nothing else. I thought hole number 9 was the practice hole until i figured out fast when a disc landed close to me that it was actually 9. From tee 11 we threw at hole 12 because we did not know where hole 11 was until i looked found it by mistake looking for my drive.
Other Thoughts: I would play it again if it wasn't wet and if i was in the area, i only rated it a 2 because of the navigation troubles. If u can find a map of the course to carry with u by all means do it. there is one at the beginning of the course but its difficult to remember where everything is.

jb

5+    12/5/2009   12/10/2009
Review By: discdork
Pros: concrete tees, signs, restrooms, waterfountains, soda machine, great mix of holes, elevation changes, woods, long holes, a couple ace runs, wait at tee 1 on any given day for 10 minutes and you can find some one to play with , from dawn to dusk always someone playin
Cons: cons what cons? well i guess i liked it a little more when the woods were more dense along time ago, and theres no water
Other Thoughts: Legendary in st.louis the course which all others are compared to in st.louis, a real deal champ caliber course

A great course

5+    9/10/2009   9/11/2009
Review By: Drewski
Pros: This is a great course for players of all ratings, it is full of hazards and it is challenging. There are scorecards at the first hole and there is a nice course layout. Fequently the pin placement is moved and it keeps it interesting.
Cons: It gets crowded alot. Best to go in the mornings or weekday afternoons. There is some very thick brush on some holes.
Other Thoughts: Nice and cool course to play. I have lost discs there before and have had people call me so I can get them back. Great disc golf community around there.

1    6/27/2009   8/4/2009
Review By: championlog22
Pros: Very big course. Nice paved road. Lots of very open holes and a few narrow ones. Bathroom and water fountain and benches. Multiple pins. Good concrete tee boxes.
Cons: I can't remember which hole (3 or 4) that has a huge clump of trees and underbrush that if you throw into, it will suck trying to find your disc. Over half of the holes are out of sight from the teebox. Since the place is so big, you have to walk 600 feet to find the hole, walk 600 feet back to the tee, then walk the 600 again after you throw. One hole's placement is completely unreasonable. The map shows hole in one pin placement which was the wrong one at the time I played. I had to ask a local where the hole was and still couldn't find it until I explored a little. Must be a massive disc eater course because when I played there, I found 4 discs.
Other Thoughts: Have someone with you who has played before and you will get done an hour sooner.

A good competition course

5+    7/27/2009   7/28/2009
Review By: Adgeri
Pros: The concrete tee boxes are great and most pins are visible from them. The baskets are moved pretty frequently to make for a different game every time you play. There are a lot of shot options available. The flow of the course is nice and clear.
Cons: There is a big wooded area that covers holes 3 and 4 and has stolen many disks from unlucky and unskilled players (this area has thus been dubbed "the bitch"). There are often a number of people there to play on weekends.
Other Thoughts: An obvious favorite. I never get tired of playing at Jefferson Barracks.

1    4/4/2009   4/6/2009
Review By: tamahawk
Pros: Jefferson Barracks is a great course designed over rolling hills through large, mature trees offering ample challenge to all skill levels. There is one tee position and multiple pin positions for each hole. The DGA MachIII baskets were in great shape and the concrete tee pads were level, in good shape, and appropriately sized for the course. There were tee signs at every hole, but the signs only listed the distance for each of the pin positions with no indication to where the baskets were located and did not give any indication as to the layout of the hole.

The course had a nice flow to it and was comprised of two 9-hole loops that returned to the parking area. There were no crossing fairways, but there were a couple of fairways (No8/No11) that parallel each other in opposite directions. The course was very clean and appeared to be maintained very well. I didn't notice much underbrush or excess foliage, but it is still very early in the spring season. There were a few benches and trash receptacles throughout the course.

The course design takes advantage of the rolling hills in the park offering a great variety of uphill, downhill, and side hill lies. The slightly elevated tees on Hole 1, 5, 10, & 17 were a great opportunity to get some extra distance off of the tee, and provided a great view of the course. The holes have a lot of variation in length from one position to the next. Some of the other reviews mention that the baskets are moved frequently, so with the variation in length between the alternate pin placements, I can definitely see how this course would constantly provide a new challenge each time.

All of the holes are designed through the large trees in the park, but I would really call any of them technical holes. There are plenty of lines off of the box for varying types of tee shots, but there are also plenty of trees to knock down shots that miss their line. This course with its rolling hills and large, mature trees offered great visual appeal and a challenging layout throughout.
Cons: This was truly a great course, but there were a few challenges for someone playing this course for the first time. The tee signs only list the distances for the alternate pin positions. The signs did not offer any indication as to the layout of the hole, or even where the pin was located in relation to the tee box. The basket could be seen from many of the tee pads, but there were several holes where I had to walk and locate the basket before throwing my tee shot. The other issue is that several of the tee pads are located a pretty good distance from the previous basket, but again, there is nothing to point a player in the right direction. Updated tee signs would be very helpful. The only other issue was the tee shot for hole 4. There was not much of a line that I saw off of the box, more of a throw it and hope for the best type shot. This was my first time at JB, so maybe there was an alternate route that I missed, or maybe there were obstacles in the way that normally aren't there, but I just thought I would mention it.
Other Thoughts: All in all a great course that is both challenging and picturesque. I was in the area visiting some friends and only got to play 2 courses, but I was very pleased with my decision to play at Jefferson Barracks. In an earlier review of this course by Three Putt, he said that "The area has several very good courses, but this is still the course that best represents disc golf in St. Louis." The old saying is that you never get a second chance to make a first impression, so if this course best represents St.Louis disc golf, then I was left with a very good impression of disc golf in this area, and am looking forward to playing this course again, as well as other courses in and around St. Louis.

Beautiful park, good course

5+    8/14/2007   3/22/2009
Review By: drewbiggs
Pros: Lots of diverse holes, some technical, some not. Beautiful park with some very old trees. Tee boxes for all holes with varying pin locations. Several different approaches on each hole make it a new experience every time. They maintain it pretty well and had made multiple improvements during the time I lived there. Never had a problem with the neighborhood, although I agree it isn't the best.
Cons: Some holes can be muddy days after a rain. I have seen bow hunters in the woods next to one of the holes (makes me nervous).

Great course, but...

1    1/26/2009   1/26/2009
Review By: tdortch
Pros: Let me start by saying that I have not read any other reviews on here. That being said, I really enjoyed the layout of this course. When you figure out where you're supposed to go, everything fits together pretty well. (More on that in the Con section...)
There were several different lines off of almost every tee, and some of the baskets are reachable for an ace run, even for a guy that can't throw over about 320. The tee pads are pretty nice, but a little shorter than I'm used to.

Most of the holes meander in and out of a not very dense woods and there are uphill/downhill shots, both in the putting game and in the drives/approaches. I don't even think it's really wooded, there are just trees on the course. Not golf course open, but definitely there will be branches and trees right on the line you wanna throw sometimes.
I will definitely play this one again, hopefully this week. I really liked it even though I was alone on the course and it was 22 degrees!
Cons: The signage is terrible. The only thing they tell you is the distance, unless it's in the "D" position, which says nothing at all. There are no signs saying where to go from hole to hole and the only map there is near the first tee and it looks like it's been there since the course was opened. The "D" locations aren't even on there. I took a picture of the sign with my phone and that helped some, but it doesn't even tell you when to cross the roads, which it does several times. On some holes, it's pretty obvious where to go, and sometimes I had to really look around as the next tee was not near the basket. Of course, this won't hurt me as bad next time, but it can be a little frustrating for first timers. Hole 8 was in the "D" position and I threw twice before I knew where the basket was! It was pretty long and over a hill/behind a tree.
So, really all of that will only matter to first timers probably and if you don't play at 3:30 on a Monday when it's 22 degrees, you'll probably be fine.
Now, the real Con: I was putting on 18 and a group of kids from the apartments next door threw a rock that zinged right over my head. It's not in the best of neighborhoods....
Other Thoughts: Great course. It was everything I've heard - challenging and fun.

5+    1/18/2009   1/22/2009
Review By: WilmorePark
Pros: This course never gets old. Even in the winter they still make an effort to move the pin placements around. Challenging, but gives many chances to redeem yourself. Mulitiple pin placements make it fun and different
Cons: When wet, it gets sloppy and doesn't drain well after rain. Hole 8 on D pin placement is a rediculous Par 3.
Other Thoughts: All and all this is one of my favorite courses even though I have played it more often than I can count.

Gateway city

1    9/13/2008   1/14/2009
Review By: peabody
Pros: Get your cards at the kiosk. The holes are very long for par threes. Each one has it's own character. Watch out where you throw but even at that you will find your disc. Like hole #10, the vegetation on your left down at the bottom of the hill looks like your disc will be lost if it lands there, but take it from me, I was able to find mine easily. Apparently lots and lots of people use that section of hole 10.
Gateway store is right there too so stop in and get you a putter. Wizards and Warlocks rule.
Cons: Getting there can be tough so google you a map or gps it. Finding the holes are hard even with the map on the back of the scorecard. The alt. pin placements looked random to me but it was my first and only time there. Finding the next tee was tough too.
Other Thoughts: I like this course and want to go play it again soon. I would really like to watch the pro's birdie those long par threes.