Marshall, WI
Bird's Ruins DGC Share
Uploaded By: koogs Hole #6 (Taken 6/2012)
Hole #6 Pro Tee

1 2 3 Next >
Potential to be great

5+    10/29/2011   9/8/2011
Review By: koogs
This review was updated on 1/11/2013
Pros: 18 holes with terrain varying from flat prairie to semi-wooded to rolling hill to hilly and thick woods. Many different types of challenges throughout the course. There will eventually be an optional 19th hole throwing across a bay to a peninsula. Most holes have 2 tees and 2 pin placements. Water could be in play on hole 7 if you overthrow a little.
Cons: No tee signs or tee pads yet, but this will be done soon. The pads will be concrete. The biggest con for this course is, as previous reviewer said, the chest high prairie grass if you go off the fairway, which you will. I also spent a lot of time searching for discs. The next time I play here, I will play very conservatively to stay on the fairways, and take the extra strokes. Some of the wooded holes appear to have too many trees, but I didn't get worse than par on any of them, so maybe it's deceiving. The parking lot is very small, but I believe it will be expanded in the future. This is a public park with walking paths. This means that there may be times when you will have to wait for a walker to clear on some holes. You also may encounter dog poo (hole 12) occasionally, though I didn't.
Other Thoughts: Holes 1-4 are in a flat area across from the parking lot. These are well laid out to take advantage of the semi open, semi wooded terrain. Hole 4 is a big one with a landing zone before making a run at the basket. Holes 5 and 6 are on a rolling hill surrounded by prairie grass and are very long. Holes 7-12 are up and down (and across) a steep, heavily wooded hill. Holes 13 and 14 are back in the open, again bordered by tall grass. There will be an elevated basket on 13. Hole 15 throws from trees, through an open area and into a grouping of oak trees. Hole 16 is in the open up a rolling hill. Hole 17 is in the trees and hole 18 is back in the open with a large cluster of sumac in the middle of the fairway. I really like the variety of terrain and they did a good job of spicing up the holes in the open with an elevated basket, a hidden basket and mid-fairway obstacles. I really don't like the tall grass, but not much you can do with it, except to make wider fairways, as previously suggested. Being that I was a (small) contributor in putting this course in, I'm trying not to be biased , but, all in all, after some tweaking, I think this will be a great course.
UPDATE: Tee signs, directional signs, and concrete tee pads are all in. The rough is really getting trampled down up to 20' off the fairways, making discs much easier to find. The elevated basket on hole 13 is done and overall, the course is getting "broken in". All these factors have led me to up my rating to 3.5 UPDATE:Since my last update, many things have been finished or improved on the course. Fairways have been widened where needed, and a little more clearing was done to open up some holes a little. Hole 19 was added and it's very popular with players. We use it as a CTP tie-breaker, and for tournaments, it's used if no one wins the ace pool. Some of us just throw it for fun at the end of our round. It's really a great addition. A restroom, a fresh water well, a pavilion, and a parking lot expansion, and a practice basket have all been added. I'm upping my rating to 4, I'd like to give it a 4.25 if I could. Once we get a couple more things finished, I'll probably go to 4.5. I love having this course 8 minutes from my house.

Much improved, but more can be done

5+    9/5/2011   9/7/2011
Review By: imoser_me
This review was updated on 6/6/2012
Pros: The course is challenging and has great design elements. There are many holes where you have to take some time to plan your shot off the tee or even plan how you are going to attack the hole. This isn't your typical drive at the basket and putt course.

The course is well rounded with grip it and rip it open holes along with the technical wooded holes. There is even some danger on a couple holes from a creek that comes into play on hole 1 and hole 4.

There are a few par fours on this course that are more distance based than obstacle based. Hole 4 was a par 4 when it originally went in, but has been changed to a par 3. I suppose people can reach the basket from the tee with a long shot, but the creek and tall brush should be a risk/reward type of thing. There is a safe lay-up spot for hole 4 so you don't have to go for the long over the small creek shot.

Hole 13 has an elevated basket that makes an uphill open hole a putting challenge. Hole 14 has a pin position in the middle of a bunch of small trees that makes it a difficult green to penetrate.

The wooded holes have been cleaned up with a lot of trimming, which has generated better lines for you to hit. Don't get me wrong, the lines are still challenging, but the trimming has taken out the nearly impossible lucky you got through there shots.

The tree on hole 9 was trimmed extremely well so it doesn't totally hinder your tee shot, but it does provide enough of an obstacle to plan your shot around it.

The open holes have had their fairways expanded. I appreciate this greatly. Hole 5 has more fairway to the right. Hole 16 has a wide landing zone for your fairway shot before tightening up and then widening back up for the basket. That is perfect risk/reward for people who want to try for the longer drive.

The extra hole 19 looks like an awesome shot. I have not played it yet, but it looks incredible. It is a 285 foot shot across the river to the other peninsula. You need to walk all the way around to get to the basket.

The baskets are brand new and catch well. There are also multiple pin locations and two tees for most holes.

The navigation has improved with signage on the long walks between 6 & 7 and 15 & 16.
Cons: The course is still new. The roughs are extremely rough. Not a place for beginners as you will be looking for discs for a long time.

Hole 11 does not have concrete tees nor a long tee. There might be issues as to why these are not present, but it does still bring down the course.

There are still many small tree stumps that you trip over (or hit with the stroller) that are in the middle of the fairway.

The course still needs to be broken in a little more to become a top-notch course. The local clubs and community are quickly making this course better each month. If they keep it up, this course will be on par with the Madison courses.
Other Thoughts: There have been many improvement made to this course with trimming the wooded holes, widening the fairways on open holes, adding concrete tees, adding signs, and putting in alternate pin placements.

If they can keep going on improving this course, it could become one of the finer courses in Wisconsin.

1 2 3 Next >