Mountain Home, ID
Optimist Park Share
Uploaded By: zackparlin Hole #3 (Taken 9/2011)
3 / 370ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Strange Course Lacks Personality!

1    7/25/2014   8/3/2014
Pros: Optimists Park is a large county type park with soccer and baseball fields, rodeo grounds, a BMX track and I think what is Tractor Pulling event grandstand viewing area?
The course starts out front near the street with the first three holes, then the next three holes are boring and play across large open expanse of soccer fields, then the final three holes play over by and around the rodeo arena area. These last three are the most interesting holes on the course.
There are big tee signs for each hole with a course map on each. However, they're confusing because they don't have the hole # on the front. I did finally figure out that the hole number is on the back of the sign in big numbers. There are no tee pads so I was mostly guessing as to where to throw from. The course has decent DGA baskets.
By the time I had played the first six holes, I was bored out of my mind. Between the ever present wind, the obnoxious gnat population and trudging back and forth across the soccer fields, I was about finished.
Luckily the final three holes offered some challenge and variety from the first six.
# 7 forces you to throw a low tunnel shot under the trees. # 8 plays back to the bathroom/concession area and then # 9 tees off by the bathroom to a basket tucked into the rodeo and parking lot fences. I kinda enjoyed this hole.

Cons: Windy!
Gnats! Mosquito city!
First 6 holes range from bland to flat out boring.
The soccer fields were saturated with water.
Course would not be playable during soccer games or rodeo events.
Other Thoughts: If I lived in Mountain Home, I'd play this course regularly and embrace it as my own. As far as just passing by, I played it once and wouldn't go out of my way to play it again. Those soccer field holes were way too tedious for me.

Home course

5+    12/12/2013   12/16/2013
Review By: idahooldguy
Pros: - It's close to my house, but that won't help anyone else.
- Has many long holes with few obstacles, so long bombers can really air it out.
- Holes 7 and 8 are decent and add some character to this course.
Cons: - No "Ace" and few birdie opportunities.
- Few obstacles or challenging shots.
- WAY over-watered 7 months a year.
- Mountain Home tends to be very windy, so you'll need a good headwind disc (If you need to work on your wind game, come on over!).
Other Thoughts: This is my home course and where I learned to play. If you play in the summer, bring your rubber boots and deet. The course is seriously overwatered! I play several times a week when the weather is nice, but I really wish that they would cut the watering in half. However, I have a sentimental attachment to this course because without it I would have never taken up this game that I enjoy so much.

Interesting...

2-4    6/3/2013   6/3/2013
Review By: Casually_Dismissive
Pros: Well this course is definitely interesting. It is very long and spread out for a 9 hole course. I had a good time trying to fight the wind. The park appears to be pretty well maintained and there is very little chance of losing your disc (except on holes 8 and 9, as I will mention below). Everything in between is very well kept and the holes flow from one to the other pretty seamlessly. Overall this course is better than most people give it credit for.
Cons: The tees for holes 1 and 2 are right next to each other so after you throw the first hole then you have to walk all the way back to the same spot to throw for the 2nd.
The targets for pretty much every hole between 2 and 9 are pretty close to eachother. T his would be a problem if there were ever more than one person playing the course. I don't think that is likely though. :D
Holes 8 and 9 are a pretty big concern as there is what I imagine a rodeo ring and there is a big chance of throwing your discs into the stand or the ring itself, especially in the heavy wind that seems to be the norm in Mountain Home ("Today's weather: Wind with a slight chance of wind"). There are also animals penned in there, which is amusing when you see the cows watching you play. I wouldn't want to try to rescue my disc from them though...
Other Thoughts: I played through this course twice today to try to get a feel for it. I did much better on the second go round because at that point I knew exactly where the baskets were. Fighting the wind was interesting and gave me lots of opportunities for trick shots, especially when my discs went awry due to the 20mph gusts. I used every disc in my bag in one fashion or another for trick shots and I actually enjoyed the challenge of trying to judge the wind and throw accordingly. Good luck trying to get the par 3 though haha. Ill be trying this course again tomorrow...supposed to be down to 10mph winds instead of 20.

Cool they have one.

1    10/21/2012   10/21/2012
Review By: Harvy B.
Pros: -It's a disc golf course, in Mountain Home!
-Good use of available terrain
-Nice length on some of the baskets for such a small area (Some baskets are a deceptively farther away then they appear).
-It is a quick play if you only have a few minutes and you are just passing through (think 20 minute round if you and a buddy are playing).
Cons: -Windy (it's a Mountain Home thing, it is always windy)
-Overwatered, I had to watch out for soggy muddy grass and it was the end of October.
-Could be dangerous if others are using the park, there is a soccer field, BMX track, picnic area, and parking lots that are all in the play area (not to mention the rodeo area, and motocross track). Be careful of others.
-Its a quick play, and there are no other options closer then Boise.
Other Thoughts: I grew up in Mountain Home, and I wish we had this around when I was a kid. My folks still live there, so I'll make sure to pack my discs whenever I go visit them. It's awesome that the town has made this space available for disc golf, talk about a testament to how this sport is really growing. Disc golf can be such a positive activity for people to get into and trust me the kids in the town need activities. Mountain Home has done a good job of developing Optimist park, It used to be a dirt road, a dirt BMX track, sagebrush, and whistle pigs for as far as you could see in that spot of town. if you are in the area, or just driving through, take a few minutes to stop by and check it out, it's not La Mirada, or any other 5 star course, but it is there and it is a fun little 9 hole.

Optimist Park Disc Golf Course

5+    10/2/2011   10/2/2011
Review By: screaminmurph
Pros: Great to finally have a course in Mountain Home. Good place for beginners to learn. Many holes are open so you can air it out. Hole 7 is tricky since it has a row of trees right off the tee. Park is not overly used.
Cons: Grass is overwatered and wet in many places. Hole 8 is by picknic tables and they are often occupied making it difficult to play that hole. When park has an event going it may be difficult to get in and play.
Other Thoughts: All non grass areas (parking lots and roadways) are considered out of bounds. The BMX track and rodeo grounds are out of bounds as well. Use out of bounds rules to make it a little more challenging. On hole 4 you must throw over the parking lot. If you land in the parking lot it is out of bounds.
Join us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/OptimistParkDiscGolf

New to Mt. Home

1    9/5/2011   9/6/2011
Review By: zackparlin
Pros: Nice open park. Finally got one in Mt. Home. Short par 3 course for beginners. Hole 7 is a challenge due to the placement of the tee box and the proximity of established trees.
Cons: Over watered, bring your galoshes. Holes 1 and 4 over road/parking lot. Holes 4,5 & 6 cannot be played when a soccer game is going.