1 Helpful / 0 Not
Alright in Altoona
Pros: 1) DGA Signs with Hole #, Par, DIstance and a map. These aren't the greatest sign in the world but at leas tthere is something, and it makes navigation much easier.
2) Mach baskets w/ # plate facing the tee is always beneficial. They had a powder coated top and basket in a maroonish color which must be the town color.
3) Elevation is pretty decent for Iowa. There are some holes that go along slopes, some that go down, some that go up, and some that go across the rolling terrain. All in all the elevation adds to this fairly straight forward mostly open course.
4) Tree density is pretty varied on this course from mostly open to somewhat wooded. There are no dense woods in play on this course.
5) There are a decent variety of shots required on this hole but it isn't very technical. SImple turnovers, straight shots, and nice easy hzyers are all you need. You really have multiple choices on every hole based on wind conditions and what your favorite shot type is.
6) There are a lot of different trees on this course including large mature Maples, some medium sized evergreens which will create much more of an obstacle in 15 years, and a nice variety of other hardwoods.
7) Fairly beginner friendly, but the distance may depress some beginners, but at least they don't really have the risk of losing many discs.
Cons: 1) Holes #4 and 7 are missing the signs, the posts are still there but the signs are gone.
2) 1 extra tee on the entire course? Why even hae two tees on that hole it is only more confusing for first timers. I would eliminate the short tee on that hole or install multiple tees on more than this hole.
3) This course is fairly simple meaning there isn't a huge challenge factor here. Aside from the snow I had to deal with, there isn't much of a challenge presented from the trees and obstacles. I am sure there are better courses in Des Moines and I wish I could have seen others, but it was a quick stop.
4) Path running through the middle of the course would be a detriment if it was busy. I played in zero degrees and 5" of snow so I didn't have to worry about it (I did see one runner).
5) Course plays back and forth in a tight little area. It isn't really dangerous because you would always be looking in the direction of the people who could throw into you, but it feels a little strange. This may have been the easiest way to design the course, but it just feels unnatural for some reason.
6) Very disjointed course. Holes 1 and 2 are in one area, then 3 through 10 are in another, then 11 and 12 are completely removed from the other 2 sections. It is broken up by some walking paths and these would be good spots for directional signs.
Other Thoughts: There were remnants of glow sticks on some basket and the fact that there were footprints in the 5 " of snow lead me to believe there may be a fairly active group of people around this part of town. I know Des Moines is kindof a disc golf hotbed for the middle of nowhere Iowa, and this is about the far southeast corner of the metro.
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
4 Helpful / 1 Not
Improves as trees mature
Pros: Concrete tees, signs, elevation, water in play
Cons: park road and walking path in play.
Other Thoughts: This park houses a couple of ball diamonds and a shelter and the rest of it is the course. The first hole begins on the east side of the shelter building at the highest point in the park and then plays up and down hills and along a small stream. It's a rather compact course and there is much back and forth but the holes really don't conflict with one another. Unfortunately, a new recreation path was constructed recently and it affects the course to the extent that you will have to wait for pedestrian and bike traffic to clear on some holes.
Overall, a fun course to play as there are lots of good shots and challenge will only increase as the now mid-sized trees grow in height and width.
4 of 5 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.