Charlotte, NC
Pinewood Elementary Share
Uploaded By: swilsons Hole #8 (Taken 7/2013)

1    8/22/2016   8/23/2016
Review By: KenanFlagler01
Pros: I don't like the "bad" adjective attached to this 0.5 rating. This course succeeds in its design to be a place to introduce kids to disc golf. I rate it a 0.5 because I have to compare to all other courses I've played -- and it's not designed for me! Pinewood is a "putt and putt" course located in a small park in front of an elementary school.

+ Perfect course to introduce a kid to the game.
+ Easy navigation.
+ Good baskets.
+ Ace runs on every hole! The longest hole is 220 feet. All other holes are much shorter, 70 feet to 160 (?) feet.
Cons: Again, great course for kids, but here are the cons for adults:

- Exceptionally short, wide open, and easy. No challenge.
- A couple holes are relatively close to the road or parking lot. Not really problem because you're likely only throwing a putter (or even *putting* a putter off the tee), but I can see a newby throwing an errant shot to the street.
Other Thoughts: This is an easy one to knock out, if you're a collector like me. I played it in 12 minutes. Don't worry about bringing a bag. Unless you need a different disc for 220 feet, all you need is one straight-flying putter. Go for the "perfect round" -- 9 under par. I hit 8 out of 9 bridies, but felt like I left a *few* shots on the course! Kind of disappointing not to get at least one ace. Play it a time or two, and you'll get one!

Elementary EDGE

1    8/21/2016   8/21/2016
Review By: nevets4433
This review was updated on 8/22/2016
Pros: Situated in a small field adjacent to an elementary school, this course is exactly what it sets out to be - an introduction to disc golf for young students that might not otherwise get exposed to the game. It features 9 nice baskets and tee signs that form a very easy loop for even novice golfers, while still giving a feel of what an adult-sized course would look like. Hole 4 has a protected basket in the trees and 6-8 make use of a few trees and a telephone pole to put a few objects in the flight path without becoming too cumbersome. I thought those holes did a good job of emphasizing to new players the need to "see a line" without having punishing or frustrating obstacles.

It seems some work has also gone in to create a black tee for the holes, but as below, a little work is needed there still.
Cons: The obvious: this is a short, 9 hole only course with an elementary skill level. Multiple 100% open holes at ~100 ft distance. Pars are quite demoralizing to the experienced player here.

Tees are natural - it appears there at one point may have been some circular concrete markers but we didn't find them on all holes.

I appreciated the little black signs on the baskets directing golfers to the black tees, but given there aren't markers in place for the black tees, that navigation is still a bit tough.

From a safety perspective, given this is an elementary school course, there is a entrance road crossing and a few holes that play a bit close to the parking lot.
Other Thoughts: Rating school courses such as this is always difficult for me. I think this course is great for its target audience - that audience just isn't me. It is a great loop to introduce juniors, but not a lot of fun for the adults.

I would really like to see the black tees flushed out a bit, at least being given formal tee pads and a sign, as I think that would make this course a much more viable option.

Nice EDGE course, add your own distance!

1    7/17/2016   8/4/2016
Review By: pmay5
Pros: Nine baskets in good shape.
Mostly open, if you want that, or just enough trees to make a challenge.
Great place for beginners or young ones to learn the game.
Cons: I can see this park getting busy at certain times. It is right next to the Elementary school and is now a park, with gardens and a playground. BE CAREFUL WHEN BUSY!
There are tee signs, but they mark the extremely short EDGE holes this course was built for. No tee pads.
Other Thoughts: This is an EDGE course, maybe my first! Courses like this are needed in our game to teach and bring up the little ones and newbies. It goes around the edges of the park, roughly following the walking path.
The course map shows the tees for the "Black" course, follow that if you want to throw more than just putters.
The last several holes do bring some trees into the mix and you can use the roads and sidewalks for tees. So, as long as its not busy, make your own holes and let it rip! Enjoyed these challenges presented on #6, #7 and #8.
Will someone now come and build an EDGE course at the Middle School behind my house?

Perfect for a quickie!

2-4    9/17/2015   9/17/2015
Review By: Harpo1989
Pros: If you want a challenge you need to look elsewhere. If you want to practice approach and putt, this is great! My friend and I have only been playing a few weeks and we hit this one up because we had a work picnic around the corner at Park Road Park so we stopped over here for a few rounds.

It was a perfect venue for us to work on controlled approaches and putting, which is where most people will make up a great deal of their game. If you can hit the green from 200 feet and sink putts you will have the makings of a better than average player and this course will fit the bill for that part of your game. We had the course to ourselves and played 3 rounds.

It would also be a great place to take small kids to play. Even the smallest of children might have a chance to ace the 75 footer hole!

Set your expectations accordingly and you won't be disappointed.
Cons: Another reviewer mentioned some low hanging branches and the grass tee pads already. The only think I will add is that the baskets all had arrows for Black Tees but we looked around for them on several holes to no avail and were a bit disappointed we could find them. I love all the tees signs for the short course and wish they would have added sings for the black tees.
Other Thoughts: Not a destination course by any means but if in the area and you have a need to get in a little short game practice...I say go for it!

More than meets the eye

1    9/14/2015   9/14/2015
Review By: 1978
Other Thoughts: I'll leave a short review for a short course. Tee signs, discatchers and a relatively short layout are nice. Grass teepads are getting a little rutted,but I think the shortness of the course keeps most players away. Its almost too short for people to want to practice at. I threw stand still putters from every pad except one. 2 teepads have overhanging branches growing into the throwing space and this needs trimming. I think there was more opportunity for interesting shots but I dont know what the expectations and limitations were. I know the designer I think there are some neat holes that could have been exploited but werent, so I assume that those locations were off limits. This course gives you a bunch of options. If I were local, I would have a full 18 hole advanced level safari layout planned that would be moderately challenging. Neat to stop by if you are in the area but not worth driving out of your way, even if you are bagging courses. It is just too far from any other Charlotte course.

So I initially thought I would rate this .5 but gave it 1 additional disc rating because it is a GREAT safari course. If I lived near by there are throws back and forth around trees and through open fields that stretch my maximum and most people's maximum distance. Since the baskets basically rim an open park, you have your choice of 4-5 baskets for your next Safari shot. I think that you could practice for any skill level here and be able to get a full disc golf workout in. The course is way more valuable as a safari/make up your own hole course than it is a 9 hole course. Often short 9 hole courses are so packed in, there isnt much other option for play.

Just a putter - unless you play the blacks

2-4    1/8/2013   1/14/2013
Review By: jksenior
Pros: Good for what it is: "a practice your upshot and jump putting game."

- Take your new putters that you want to break in
- Only one or two holes where you can throw a full putter (or maybe a mid for some people)
- Navigation is easy - you can prety much see the entire course as yopu look around.
- the baskets are good - better tham many "big" courses.

There were Black tees marked for most if not all of the holes. There were signs to the black tees on the baskets - i.e. Black 2 on 1's basket.

These black tees were marked with little signs on trees. They added quite a bit a length to the course. So much so that you could throw mids and a fairway driver or two. No distances marked, so you have to wing it.
Cons: - natural teepads
- no trash cans on the course, so if you take a dog (as I did) you have to carry their sh** around with you - assuming you pick it up.
- course circles a playground so you could be dodging kids as they come and go.
Other Thoughts: Asd I said, this is not a course to go and play competitive golf. Know what you're going to get before you get there and it serves a purpose.

It is actually Madison Park which is adjacent to Pinewood elementary school.

Great Surgery Rehab Course

2-4    1/6/2013   1/11/2013
Review By: DavidNC
Pros: Someone has taken the time to lengthen the cource considerably using the existing baskets but placing the tees much further away than the original course. There are signs posted on the new tee locations (black wood with white paint) and signs added to most of the baskets pointing to the next "black tee."
Now, I do not think these tees are in the "black" tier, but it does lengthen the course considerbly; there are even some MANDOs on a couple of holes. Unfortunately, the distances are not posted on these new holes; but I will say 300s are in play on this course now and on many holes.
Cons: Be cognizant of Fire Ants. Many colonies populate the course. Not so much a problem in January; but, come April . . .
Other Thoughts: The course is what it is. Very Short and open. Just what one would expect. Rehabbing (I do not think this is a word) from shoulder surgery, this course presented a great opportunity to just get out and throw, two to three weeks earlier than I would have been able to for even Elon Park or Bailey.
Moreover, a great course to introduce a young one to the game.

Bring Your Putter

1    7/1/2012   9/1/2012
Review By: PhatPatW
Pros: If you want to practice your long range putting or mid range you have found your course.
Cons: All open holes with no obstacles
Other Thoughts: If you have children that are leading to play DC then I would bring them here.

Pinewood? Wood?

1    6/16/2012   6/19/2012
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: Sweet tee signs, nice baskets, kind of nifty basket positions considering what they had to work with. Nice chill spot to air out the putters or if you want a little challenge a lid round. Ample parking. Flows well, easy navigation. Quick.
Cons: Very short holes. Some of the holes are really just longish putts. Mostly wide open in a field but some trees do spice it up a bit.

Natural tees and some are angled funny.

Literally right beside a school (duh) so no double fisting Olde English probably.
Other Thoughts: If you need to host an Ace Race or work on your putt & approach game, this is your course. Surprisingly more popular than I thought it would be. Great course for kids, uncoordinated women and complete n00bs. You could probably safari some longer, more interesting holes if have the course to yourself. The basket locations are better than just "baskets in a field" kind of 9 holers b/c they can punish you with road OB and trees if you're overzealous on a few of them. But it's a highly polished practice course and in the grand scheme of things I had to rate it harshly.

easy lunch time putting

1    11/30/2011   12/1/2011
Review By: albert8fish
Pros: Open nine hole putting course that is fun for some warm up putting from natural marked tees
Safari opportunity is great, I always like that
Good work for approach game, and jump putting
Tee signs are nice
Aces are the goal here, or teaching young ones
Cons: Flat and wide open with very few obstacles
When it is grassy it will be more fun, mud makes it interesting and slippery
Other Thoughts: I play Renny almost daily at lunch and weekends I play two or three of the other courses about town
I like this park for being a trainer for my long putting at lunch, and switch it up.I love Renny and it develops my long game, this is ace run central. For what it is it will do nicely. Nice walk at lunch, I like it.