Richmond, IN
New Creations - Living Waters DGC Share
Uploaded By: kingjames1014 Hole #11 (Taken 11/2012)

Richmond area's first course

1    5/30/2013   6/30/2014
Review By: GMcAtee
Pros: Private course with new baskets.
Beautiful lake in a very secluded area.
First course in an area that really needs courses.
Cons: A lot of repetitive holes at the beginning shooting towards the lake. I remember standing at a tee and looking across the lake at the basket on the peninsula thinking, "This is a great hole!", but it was not the actual hole.

I played for free. Guess it is pay for play now. I would not pay to play this course.

No teepads and no signs.

Other Thoughts: This course is actually in Ohio if you follow your GPS. The church just happens to have an Indiana address.

First Impression

1    6/8/2014   6/9/2014
Review By: klsweetland
Pros: This course was easily the most beautiful course I have played in the state of Indiana. The lake, mature maples, and the rustic gravel road that follows the course around the lake make for numerous vistas that are sure to make your day.

As far as the holes go, the first nine don't provide as much variety as I would have liked. Nearly every hole on the front nine strongly favors a RHBH player. The back nine, however, provide tons of variety so all in all it was a very fun and technically challenging course.
Cons: The course was difficult to find. When you get off of I-70 you need to go past the church and take a U-turn to get back to the road that takes you to the course.

There are no concrete pads which is usually fine, but some of the tees were set up so you have to start your run up in a ditch, or on a down hill, or sometimes on the edge of the woods.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course, but I would not recommend it to beginners because of the length of the holes and the ever-present water hazard.

Beautiful Lake Circler

1    8/1/2013   11/14/2013
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: The first thing that strikes you as you play this private course, situated in a Christian camp, is the fact that almost every hole has a view of the beautiful lake. The disc golf course plays fairly safely away from other camp activities, and the views are usually open enough you have plenty of warning if folks are coming by. There is a practice basket, and blue and red tees (with trash receptacles) for 18 more new DisCatcher baskets. The course map indicates up to three pin positions for each hole, so there is the potential to play some variety here. The course and the camp are clean and well maintained (I met the guy who mows the whole place, and he was apologetic (don't be!) about being out there, but the equipment had been out of commission for a couple of weeks, and he was playing catch-up. Neat guy).

The hole distances range from 142' to 568', with seven shots from the red tees being under 199' (run for aces, if you dare!), and five from the blue tees over 433'. Excellent use of the rolling terrain means you have shots up, down, and across the hills, and in and out of light woods and lanes, with enough clearing to keep losing discs (at least to the brush) to a minimum. I'm pretty sure they were in the standard (B) position when I played, so the short pins (A) would be for learners, while the C pins might be a bit brutal! As a budding intermediate player, I was having fun out here shooting under 50 from the short tees, but I can see enough challenge here for Recreational to Advanced players to have some fun. I would think Open players will only want to play Blue to C pins. You know those guys…

You check in at the brick building entering the complex and they provide you with a day pass, and all the info you'll need to get back into the property to play the course. You can park by the west end of the lake and work your way around to the right. The tees posts and of course, the yellow-banded baskets, are pretty easy to spot.

There aren't a lot of good caliber, beautiful courses like this near the Ohio/Indiana border, and so easily accessible to I-70. While not a 'destination' course, this is a very nice spot to stretch your legs and spirit a little.
Cons: Some folks don't like to pay to play, and some are skittish about signing a waiver and agreement about conduct on someone's property, but I don't have a problem with the $5 to play ($8 all day), and I figure: their place, their rules.

The course does work counter-clockwise around the lake, with many holes including the risk of losing an over-zealously thrown disc in the lake, especially for those of us who are predominantly rhbh, and all our shots fade left. The downhill pin positions on holes 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 17 & 18 all have wet potential, especially on windy days (and I lost a disc running down the ridge on 7, as it sits on a peninsula with rollaways in three directions). And holes 15 & 16 have a surprisingly deep ravine just beyond the woods to the right, so be careful there, too.

The design of the holes does force a preponderance of straight and left-fading holes, in order to run the loop around the lake, so there weren't many opportunities to design shots that run to the right, limiting the variety here, and causing some folks to criticize the design for being repetitive. The natural grass tees have good footing, but future upgrades in tee pads will be welcome. I don't recall seeing any benches on the course, even if it plays relatively quickly around. They've held tourneys out here, which usually play slower, and a spot to sit is always nice.

Not necessarily a con to worry about, but this is the only place I've ever gotten stung by a ground hornet. Playing the fourth hole in August, I guess I just got lucky. Yeowtch! It may be because of the earlier-mentioned catching up on the mowing that allowed them to make a home there in the summer heat. Hopefully that was a just one time problem. I'm sure they don't want that to be an issue for any of their campers or visitors.
Other Thoughts: I don't usually write reviews based on a single visit, and this is the first time I've written one more than a week or so after playing the course (it's been a couple of months). But I'm getting out to a two hour drive in any direction for courses I haven't reviewed…

Not Typical For The Area

2-4    11/24/2012   11/25/2012
Review By: DarrinTenn
Pros: Navigation is easy
Mix of all types of holes, a lot of holes have multiple lines for lecture and sidearmers. Long Bombs and short technical.
Awesome views all around the lake.

Two tees make for 36 holes around lake
Cons: I'm not a fan of natural pads. Most of the tees were fairly flat, and not worn out. Navigation is easy and distances marked, but for a pay to play it needs signs on a few holes.
Other Thoughts: This is a very unique course. I wasn't expecting that in this area. There is a great contrast from red to blue tees. There are courses in Dayton and Indianapolis. This is right off I 70 and is a great stop for a traveling golfer. This is a must play for someone who wants a challenge. From the blue tees I couldn't shoot par in 3 rounds. This makes me want to come back and play.

Living waters

1    11/10/2012   11/11/2012
Review By: kingjames1014
Pros: -Beautiful scenery
-Two tees with three pin positions add variety
-Not crowded
-Fairly easy to navigate
Cons: -No concrete tee pads
-No signage at all
-Holes get a little repetitive
Other Thoughts: I agree that this course is rated too high at the moment. Once teepads and signs are installed, the current rating would be appropriate.
Hole 15 has a nasty 30-40 foot dropoff on the right side. Do NOT go right on this hole.
this course is set around a lake kinda in a bowl, so when there's even a little wind it will swirl around making your shots go awry.
You can get some nasty rollaways on the holes near the lakeif you catch an edge.

Another overhyped course. It's just OK

1    5/28/2012   5/28/2012
Review By: numbernine
Pros: before I start my review, please go see the other reviews on this course and check out the number of 5 star reviews and 4.5's. Look at this course's overall rating. Knowing that this course was rated one of the tops in my area is why I RAN out to go play this one. Anyone that use this site knows what a 4+ star course looks like. With that, here go my pros:

1. baskets - The baskets are brand new Innova baskets that catch super well. This is to be expected from a newer course. With good baskets, an absolute must for any course, this gives this course one solid star.

2. Navigation is easy - And by easy, I mean that you would literally have to get smashed in the head by a brick and lose your mind to get lost out there. Especially on the front 9. Essentially, keep the lake on your left and keep walking. There are some weird spots in the "woods" that don't make a ton of sense, but you can find your way pretty easily. The ease of navigation and flow gives this course another solid 1 star. getting us to 2 stars.

Locations of pins and pads - while there are no pads, there are 2 poles in the ground on each hole from which you can tee off. There also appears to be multiple basket locations. Multiple pin and tee locations are a must for a 5 star course, unless there are multiple courses on one property. These tees and pins give the course another star. We are up to 3.

The park is pretty, even if the course is hard to find on the property. Protip for people that have never been to this course, make sure you take the first right by the church and follow the road all the way to the back, past the sign that says "private property", down the big gravel road hill. My dog really liked being able to get in the lake to cool off. The fact that the course sat on private property and the great park that it sat in gives this course another star and a half in my opinion. So with ZERO Cons, this course is at best a 4.5 . At best. ... however, there are cons.
Cons: This course suffers from what NO five star/championship caliber course can suffer from and still be five star; it's boring. in 18 holes, there was ONE anhyzer shot, and it was less than 200 feet. The holes are either dead straight away or a hard hyzer. Even when you "get in trouble", you aren't in trouble. in spite of the holes being around the lake, there are really only two or three holes where you should be ANYWHERE near the water. 1-5 are really the same hole. 6 is ok I guess, but it's just dead straight away at 320. It does have a neat rock though. 7 runs towards the water, but if you get in the water there, you might consider a new sport to play. No way you should be close there. And the rest of the course "in the woods" is safe with very little imagination. most of the holes are in clearings that run on a basic hyzer route. There is SO MUCH neat real estate and cool elevation on this property that was not used. I am super disappointed in this part of the course. Knowing this, the layout has to take this course down a full star. That gives a 3.5 for now.

I've never played a 5 star course that had grass tees. Sorry. It just isn't happening. a 5 star, championship course is going to at least have the rubber pads down. This course was unmowed and the "natural tee pads" were slick. Until concrete goes down, or builds pads or at least throw down rubber mats, you can't call this a destination course. This takes this course down another .5. Putting us at 3 for now.

The signs don't exist. There are posts in the ground that have colors painted on the top of them, with numbers written on them. No map of the hole (good thing you can see the hole straight away or guess that it's a hyzer), no description of which pin is which, nothing. Because there was an EFFORT made to do ANYTHING, I won't take off points on this one. But I also can't give points. I mean, what champ course has bad signs? We are still at a 3.

The course was in not great shape. on 7 of the holes, the grass was so tall that it had grown up through the basket and was taller than the basket on a couple of occasions. This is unacceptable. Sorry. The place looked abandoned in places. How in the world do you let the grass get this high on a "5 star course". You simply don't. Aside from around the baskets, it looked like the course had been mowed once this year. The fairways were long and getting a skip was completely out of the question. Because of how it looked, I HAVE to take off another .5 , getting us down to 2.5

Finally, we talk about the little things that makes a 5 star course a 5 star course. I give you the unique things at lemon lake like the bathtub hole. I give you the derby hill of rogers lakewood park. I give you the double baskets at cranberry park. I give you the mountainside of quaker challenge. This course had none of that. To be honest, there was not a signature hole on this course. Not something where I would be like "Oh man, you HAVE to see this course. there is this one hole...". Nope. Nothing. Not one hole that I remember as being awesome or super hard or really neat or anything. Aside from the lack of a signature hole, this course also had no benches, trash cans, stools, water, rest rooms or any amenities. Nothing. wait, I think there was a knocked down log on #7 where you could sit down I guess. Aside from that log, there was NOTHING extra on this course. Posts in the ground and baskets. Fine. I love disc golf and I love courses. But HAVING a course does NOT make a course a 5 star course. And because of that lack of anything neat, this course comes down another .5 , putting it a sold 2.0, right where it belongs. "reasonable". A 5 means "best of the best". This course is NOWHERE near one of those.
Other Thoughts: Honestly, I am pretty disappointed in a lot of things about this course.

First off, I am disappointed in the reviewers that put this course at anything over a 3. Come on guys, a lot of you have played some great courses. This one does NOT stack up with any course that I have played so far. Sure, it has a TON of potential. But what does that mean? Potential means not a thing. Nothing. When rating a course, telling us what could be in the future and judging it on that is NOT doing anyone any favors.

I am disappointed in the lack of imagination when laying this course out. Maybe it's the obsession with oval track racing in this state, but this course needed something else aside from. There are lots of hills and trees and tunnels and what not. Why weren't they used? Why so many hyzer shots? Why so many shots down the road on the back?

At the end of the day, I am sure that the locals are going to bury this review. I am positive that some feelings will get hurt. And I really mean it when I say that I don't mean that to happen. I just have to be honest in a review. This course is nowhere near a destination course. Don't drive more than twenty minutes to play here, unless you are driving on I-70 on your way to somewhere else. Idlewild. Flyboy. Those are courses that deserve 5 stars.
And if you click that button that says this review was not helpful, then tell me why. tell me what I missed. Because I am open to being wrong. I just don't think I am regarding this below average course.

Nice course

5+    5/18/2012   5/18/2012
Review By: Dettmerb
Pros: Blue and red tees, three different basket locations. Beautiful land, course playing counter-clockwise around a large lake. Longer holes on front nine. More technical woodsy holes for back nine. Tee's are marked by wooden stakes and marker disc's on the ground. Navigation is fairly simple. Rarely crowded. Nice new baskets with yellow top easy to see. Unique peninsula hole #7. Water in play to varying degrees on about half the holes. Took less than 90 minutes for two to play.
Cons: Natural tee pads. Course in need of upkeep. Grass around baskets growing wildly. I also think a little trimming of trees in some of the fairways is in order. Basket on hole # 15 is way too close to a huge cliff. There is some caution tape up but I know some will go down there. Do not go to the right on #15, and if you do don't go down that cliff.
Other Thoughts: Holes #2 and #3 play down toward the lake. Overshoot a bit and you're wet. Holes #4 and #5 play along lake. #7 is the peninsula hole. Shorter hole but land slopes sharply toward water in each direction. #11 is a short tunnel shot straight downhill toward water. #15 I mentioned above, don't go right. #18 plays with water along the left, cliff through tree line to the right. Fairway slopes toward water making it a tough finishing hole.

Time to Separate the Men From the Boys

5+    1/5/2012   1/8/2012
Review By: Readytoplay
Pros: This course has an incredible variety. I have played on 2 different pin locations and also from both the blue and red tees. I have yet to play the C placement. With 2 tees and 3 pin locations it has 6 different plays per hole x 18... OVER 100 plays.....WOW. The scenery is as awesome as Ive ever seen, even looking at pics from around the country. I love the long bombs on the front. The peninsula hole at seven is unlike anything I have seen. The back nine is moderately wooded with uphill downhill and some awesome anhyzers. I also love the way the course is so easy to navigate.
Cons: Obviously the course is fairly new, but still needs to be stated tee pads are a must.
Other Thoughts: The reason I say this course separates men from boys is because this course is so bittersweet. The people that love it love the skill it takes to score well. I noticed a reviewer that felt it didn't live up to the hype and he shot what my daughter could score. Get real. This course probably isn't for those who want a walk in the park. I consider this a course many real disc golf lovers will keep coming to try to master it.

Beautiful piece of land

1    1/1/2012   1/3/2012
Review By: discgolflover
This review was updated on 1/15/2012
Pros: Beatiful acreage. Some decent elevation for a flat piece of land. The back nine is mature growth, with some challenging fairways.
Cons: The front nine is very repetitive, hyzering to a basket beside the lake.
Other Thoughts: Just moved to area and saw the rating, first course I played in Indiana. The woods around the course was not even used. Maybe it was off limits? Obviously a very trumped up rating by the boys who worked on the course! WOW!

1    12/21/2011   12/26/2011
Review By: urwatuh8
This review was updated on 12/29/2011
Pros: Great scenery. The course winds around a beautiful lake. The tees are well labelled. The flow of the course is clear and no map is needed. The course is well manicured -- mowed lawns, clearly carved fairways, etc.. The course is very convenient from I-70.
Cons: Aside from the lake "pucker factor", the course is not very noteworthy. The front nine is open, with a few trees and the lake if you go wide left. The back nine consists of short, mostly straight holes through the woods. I don't have a huge arm yet used nothing longer than a Buzzz on 10-17 from the back tees. If you have a big arm, you'll only need your putter on these holes. Despite the ever present lake, not a single hole has you bomb it out over the water. Only hole 6 has any reasonable line that goes over water. And with all the short holes carved out of the woods, I wish there were some sharp turning fairways or other interesting windows. But all the short wooded holes are straight or only gently curving. Combined with the carved nature of the fairways, there are really no opportunities for novel shot selections.

(Addendum: Apparently, when I played the course, all pins were in the short positions for winter. They may be more exciting in the longer positions.)

Some might be bothered by the dirt tees and lack of tee signs. The course is pretty easy to follow, however, and these seem like a minor luxury.
Other Thoughts: A friend and I stopped to play this course because it was right off 70 and had a very high rating (4.75). It was a pleasant course, and I don't regret stopping. But it doesn't stack up well to the 4.0+ courses I've played. It is not a competition-level, destination course.