Pittsfield, MA
Bousquet Ski Area Share
Uploaded By: philvil Hole #12 (Taken 9/2012)

1    7/6/2014   7/8/2014
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: Serving as the western outpost in Massachusetts, protecting the border against New York and Vermont, this is virtually the only course around. It is has some of the most dramatic scenery in the state, overlooking the underrated Berkshires.

Unlike many courses on ski hills, you don't use the lift here, which cuts the course fee to a very reasonable $6. Also unlike many ski hill courses, this has holes that appear to be designed by someone who has played before. The holes aren't all wide open shots along the trails (although many are) and require a bit of shot shaping.

Navigation wasn't bad. I lost the map they gave me pretty early on, but the next tee pad was always visible from the basket.

Notable holes:
Hole 16 is an open shot narrowing to a tunnel to a basket on the other side. Great risk/reward with whether you try to make it all the way through or lay up for a safe 3.

Hole 10 is a very technical shot up a tight gap that will kill errant shots. No bad rough, but lots of trees.
Cons: The tee pads are all gravel. I know you aren't going to get concrete pads on a mountain, but I didn't love my footing.

On two of the holes a mid-mountain animal pen comes into play. I think it might be a petting zoo, and the caretaker let us feed some goats, a lamb, and a donkey. So that was enjoyable, but retrieving my disc later on wasn't (do goats kick? Probably not, but I felt bad about intruding).

I had a spotter with me, but if I hadn't, it wouldn't have been as fun. The fairways are mowed but probably not every week, and there are lots of places to lose a disc in tall grass off the fairways or in thickets here and there. Hole 14 is begging to eat your disc if you tempt fate with a crappy turnover.

While not many holes are bad, there aren't many that are really great. The downhill holes aren't really bombers and are easy to overthrow, even at 400 feet. I was hoping for a big finishing hole, but I couldn't go all out on it and still overthrew it.
Other Thoughts: Fair warning, this isn't a great course for newcomers. I'm glad about that, but I didn't get a lot of 3s here and could see a newbie not having a blast. That said, this is a mountain that knows how to bring in the summer fun. There were waterslides, go karts, minigolf, mini boat races (the kind with remote control boats, not teams of dudes drinking), an impressive high ropes course…and goats! I wish I could have come here as a kid.

Where is the next hole?

1    4/27/2014   4/27/2014
Review By: amcnutt
Pros: On a mountain side. Views of Mount Greylock. Elevation change challenging. Some longer holes.
Cons: On a mountain side. Windy. Steep up and downs. Mud tee box. No marking where the next tee is. Got the holes out of order. The pins are not marked what hole they are for. How hard is it to paint the pin number on the basket? No trash cans. The woods is loaded with trash. A hole in the woods has a creek running 6 inches from the pin. A tee has snow making crane in the way.
Other Thoughts: Don't go out of your way for this one.

Hills and Winds

1    7/25/2013   7/26/2013
Review By: AgentJ
Pros: Bottom line I liked it!
More than just disc golf on site
Picturesque setting
Some open bomb shots
Nice wooded holes
More open shots than we usually get to play around here, compliments our other NE courses.
Good flow, it played fairly quickly and right when you get really tired walking uphills, you get a few down/cross hills to get your steam back.
Cons: Natural tees. Acceptable, but better tees would make it 4.5 stars.
Hole 10! Tee shot is just too tight. Finishes ok, but I dislike the start.
The deuce holes are generally left-to-right, some short right-to-left holes would balance.
Other Thoughts: Ski hill golf 1.5 hours from central CT and Woostah is a plus.
The staff I met were pleasant, and they were hard at work on the hill.
Let it rip and then finesse the short holes, low scores are out there, but probably not common.
It's a very fun course, not overly difficult. I did not have a lot of trouble finding discs, seems a pleasurable experience was the idea and they pulled it off. In other words, don't be scared of the mountain golf, it is really quite tame!
Hole 16 is amazing risk vs reward.

Mountain Views and Tricky Winds

1    10/16/2011   10/16/2011
Review By: edfaits
Pros: Spectacular views! Two tees on every hole make for a more manageable round for those of us that can't bomb drives 300'. Good variety of uphill, downhill holes and a couple of "chute" holes (7 & 8) where accuracy is key. The wide open and downhill 9th hole is the place to air it out. Staff is friendly and there is beer at the lodge.
Cons: Grass tees can be slippery when damp. Tees are "roped off" and can be tough to find, especially the yellow "amateur" tees. Only 9 holes. When the winds come up the slopes it really plays havoc with shot making. Some serious elevation gain on hole 3, then a brisk walk up to the tee for #4.
Other Thoughts: The $6 fee is to be expected at a ski area trying to stay in business as a year round resort. Other activities to non disc-golfers to enjoy. Could eventually become an 18 hole course.