Needham, MA
Hole #9 Approach

Close to home, but ...

1    7/31/2013   8/1/2013
Review By: sega
Pros: Location, location and location.
Cons: With soccer camp going on, it was impossible to play 2 of the 9 holes today. Also - once I figured out the directions to the next were printed on the baskets the navigation was a little easier.
Other Thoughts: It wouldn't take much to mark this course a bit more clearly, should be done. Also tee pads would be helpful. I guess my low rating is more because of comparison. The only other course I have played is Maple Hill, and that was great!!!

Family Friendly summer/holiday course

1    9/2/2012   9/2/2012
Review By: jrennie
Pros: Location---this course begins to fill a desperate need for courses in the MetroWest

Tees/holes are not difficult to find (if you know roughly where to go---a sign on the top of each basket tells you where to look for the next tee)

Family friendly---my wife, 2 yo son, and 5 yo daughter completed the course with me (the most I was able to do with them previously was 5 holes at Amesbury)
Cons: A map is helpful the first time you play---print out the map in the Links/Files section here; if your printer is b/w, mark the hole numbers and arrows with a pen

Baskets are DGA M-14 (or very similar); I have an M-14 at home for putting practice; these are lower quality than most players are used to; I had one putt hit the center pole and bounce out---this would not have happened on a higher quality basket

Fairways cross pedestrian paths (#1, #7, #9) and a sports field (#6, #3)

Minimal challenge
Other Thoughts: Maybe they weren't when Hector Chain played, but the few baskets I inspected were secured via metal stakes---not ideal, but reasonable considering the course.

We were here Sunday morning on Labor Day weekend; we saw only a few people---we had no trouble playing the course. I can see this course *not* being fully playable most days when school is in session.

We had trouble parking around hole #1; instead, we parked at the lot near hole #4 (first right after you enter Olin) and started the course from there.

If this is your closest course *and* you can come when school is not in session, I would recommend this for someone who is looking for a short outing and/or drive/mid-range target practice.

I thought holes #1, #4, #7, and #8 were the highlights of the course. #7 and #8 have narrow fairways and require an accurate (albeit short) drive for birdie. #1 is downhill and has interesting terrain and scattered obstacles. #4 runs along the edge of a wooded area and has a dogleg left---an overhanging tree will trip-up a poorly-aimed drive.

It's disappointing that the course doesn't make use of more of the nearby woods (to the east of where the current course is).