Needham, MA

1    10/5/2013   10/5/2013
Review By: Policygnat
Pros: - Not a lot of traffic
- Decent height variation
- Several narrow fairways force mid-range accuracy
Cons: - Very short holes
- Pins not well-maintained
- No tee-pads, only stakes in the ground indicating where the holes begin
- Inconsistent signage

Close to home, but ...

1    7/31/2013   8/1/2013
Review By: sega
Pros: Location, location and location.
Cons: With soccer camp going on, it was impossible to play 2 of the 9 holes today. Also - once I figured out the directions to the next were printed on the baskets the navigation was a little easier.
Other Thoughts: It wouldn't take much to mark this course a bit more clearly, should be done. Also tee pads would be helpful. I guess my low rating is more because of comparison. The only other course I have played is Maple Hill, and that was great!!!

Family Friendly summer/holiday course

1    9/2/2012   9/2/2012
Review By: jrennie
Pros: Location---this course begins to fill a desperate need for courses in the MetroWest

Tees/holes are not difficult to find (if you know roughly where to go---a sign on the top of each basket tells you where to look for the next tee)

Family friendly---my wife, 2 yo son, and 5 yo daughter completed the course with me (the most I was able to do with them previously was 5 holes at Amesbury)
Cons: A map is helpful the first time you play---print out the map in the Links/Files section here; if your printer is b/w, mark the hole numbers and arrows with a pen

Baskets are DGA M-14 (or very similar); I have an M-14 at home for putting practice; these are lower quality than most players are used to; I had one putt hit the center pole and bounce out---this would not have happened on a higher quality basket

Fairways cross pedestrian paths (#1, #7, #9) and a sports field (#6, #3)

Minimal challenge
Other Thoughts: Maybe they weren't when Hector Chain played, but the few baskets I inspected were secured via metal stakes---not ideal, but reasonable considering the course.

We were here Sunday morning on Labor Day weekend; we saw only a few people---we had no trouble playing the course. I can see this course *not* being fully playable most days when school is in session.

We had trouble parking around hole #1; instead, we parked at the lot near hole #4 (first right after you enter Olin) and started the course from there.

If this is your closest course *and* you can come when school is not in session, I would recommend this for someone who is looking for a short outing and/or drive/mid-range target practice.

I thought holes #1, #4, #7, and #8 were the highlights of the course. #7 and #8 have narrow fairways and require an accurate (albeit short) drive for birdie. #1 is downhill and has interesting terrain and scattered obstacles. #4 runs along the edge of a wooded area and has a dogleg left---an overhanging tree will trip-up a poorly-aimed drive.

It's disappointing that the course doesn't make use of more of the nearby woods (to the east of where the current course is).

It's a start

1    6/16/2012   6/18/2012
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: Do you live in Boston? You don't have to drive an hour to play a round anymore!

The course does have some decent variety of holes, including some open holes, two wooded holes, and it does use the mild elevation changes well.

I liked holes 1, 2, and 9, which play near (but not too near) some buildings along an embankment and through a few trees. It felt collegiate.

Navigation here wasn't too bad with the aid of the map on this site.
Cons: There are no tees, just small stakes in the ground. The baskets are just practice baskets, not attached to anything, and could be stolen. Secure those things!

Holes 3 and 6 included about every design flaw you could think of. Throwing over a field that will be regularly used by other sporting events? Check. Boring wide open design? Check. Two parallel fairways where people are basically throwing at each other? Check. I didn't get to play either of them due to the lacrosse games going on.

Holes 1 and 9 have fairways that cross each other, another unsafe design feature.

The two wooded holes do force accuracy but aren't unreasonably long; those are good things. I do wish the rough wasn't so rough with weeds and what not. You could definitely lose a disc here. So while 7 of the holes are pretty rec friendly, these two aren't as much.
Other Thoughts: First of all, let me congratulate whoever got this course in. I wish there had been more options close by when I lived in Newton. And not every course needs to be Maple Hill. Sometimes it's great to have a place to play a quick round.

This place has some potential for sure, but the design needs to be changed in a major way. These aren't meant to be snobby criticisms; if someone gets hit in the face with a disc, this course will be gone immediately, so I hope they design the course so that doesn't happen. Stay away from the soccer/lacrosse fields, don't cross fairways, but otherwise design some holes more like the wooded ones and 1, 2, and 9.

1    4/14/2012   4/14/2012
Review By: MrHighlandPark
Pros: The only pro I can think of is that it exists, and that it's near Boston. Courses are sorely need in this area, and this is a heck of a lot better than no course.
Cons: Cheap practice baskets, no teepads, no signs, tough to navigate, several wide open holes with no obstacles, only 9 holes, several holes shared by soccer/other activities.
Other Thoughts: I'm glad the course exists, and hope it attracts some new fans to the sport. Kudos to whoever took the initiative to put a course in Metrowest Mass. However, it is objectively the worst of the 35+ courses I've played, and I value a ratings system that gives users of this site an honest preview of what to expect. Sorry for the low score. If teepads and signs are ever installed, I'll try to come back and update my review.

convenient and fun

1    3/15/2012   3/15/2012
Review By: anttiwalt
Pros: Convenient! Finally a course near Boston/metrowest!
Good variety of shots
cool that it's at a college
Uncrowded

Hole 2 is fantastic with the detention basin, as well as 4 and 9 are great holes . If the stormwater basin near hole 4 and 5 filled up these would be bears of a shot!
Cons: Some holes are a bit short
Ticks
No signs for par at each hole
Soccer fields hamper play
Other Thoughts: Overall I can't complain, its in my backyard! Wasn't expecting much but I'm pleasantly surprised after my first visit, worth the drive if within half an hour or so definitely. If it was 18 holes it would be a destination for sure.

Backyard course

5+    3/3/2012   3/3/2012
Review By: ntatar
Pros: Great backyard course with a variety of holes. 1st hole drops and turns to the right testing your drive. 2nd hole is a classic par 3 with a water trap that will make you think twice on your first shot. 3, 4, 6 have long open drives. 5 & 9 have you driving uphill while 7 & 8 work your skills on a gravel road.
Cons: Be prepared to do a tick check if you have to go bushwacking to recover a disc. 3 & 6 use the edge of a soccer field so you may have to detour the 4pm-6pm time slot on these holes during the soccer season.
Other Thoughts: Nice location - doesn't feel like you're "in" Boston. I've also met tons of nice people on the course and at Olin. This is a great LITTLE 9 hole course.

Close to home

1    10/28/2011   10/29/2011
Review By: N8malibu
Pros: It's nice to see something close to Framingham up until now a disc golf black hole. The campus is beautiful and well maintained, as I drove up a game of ultimate was going on in the soccer field.
Cons: The baskets are not of the highest quality to put it kindly. The soccer clinic going on seriously hampered my drives on holes 3 and 6 which cross over the field.
Other Thoughts: This course is a pitch and putt for the most part and as such serves the purpose of enticing the begginer into trying other courses.
Hole 2 I would say is the signature hole playing over a small winding shallow retention pond. If you are in the area I would reccomend checking this little begginers course out.