Bainbridge, OH
Paint Creek State Park Share
Uploaded By: AceWraith Hole #14 (Taken 8/2012)
-- / --   3 / 151ft.   3 / 178ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Back again!!

1    10/12/2014   10/14/2014
Review By: Chainchaser
Pros: -Tee pads are great!
-Baskets in good shape.
-Layout is not to bad but bring a map just in case.
-Wooded holes.
-Plenty of variety.
Cons: -2 hours away!!
-1-7 the brush is thick so keep it in the fairways.
-needles from pine tree can cover the teepads in the woods and make them slippery.
Could use more benches and garbage cans
Other Thoughts: We had played the front 7 of this course a while back but it was extremely hot and we did not finish it. This time we came out only to find a halloween event going on. We were able to find a place to park and since all the cars had the front seven blocked we started at 8 and worked from there. This course takes you into a really neat pine tree area of the park. I really like the setup and the layout. Once past the pine tree you went in to regular forest. All the holes seemed to have good lines if you can hit then. I think if I could change any hole it would be 15. It was like watching plinko on the price is right if you hit a tree. Even though the wooded holes were short they were very technical and required good accuracy. Hole 1-7 are definitely more open and also require accuracy because the rough is tough. All in all though a great course and we had a lot of fun playing. As I put under my cons I just wish it closer to the house.

My New Favorite Course

1    6/13/2014   6/13/2014
Review By: wkelly42
Pros: Variety. Different lengths, different degrees of openness -- you cannot say that two holes were exactly the same on this course.

Challenge. Looking at the Hole Info, I didn't think this would be a tough course. I laugh at myself -- this course is a challenge, at least to me. Got out of here with a +9 my first time out, and was very happy to get that.

Surroundings. This park is beautiful, there are other activities, the lake is great -- this place makes me want to go camping, and my idea of roughing it is no free WiFi when I check in.

Signage/Navigation. Easy to follow, easy to walk. Only time I got messed up was when I didn't pay attention to the sign.

Discs available for sale. Yeah, they only have Innova (that I saw), but at least they are trying.
Cons: Hole 21 was closed when I played. I walked past it anyway (it was the best way to get back to the parking lot) and could REALLY smell the stink from the dumpsters and other things there. Not sure if it's that way all the time or if that was WHY the hole was closed.

The biggest Con is that it isn't closer to my house. I'd play here every day if I could.
Other Thoughts: I don't have a big arm, so I figured the biggest challenge here would be on the longer holes. Nope -- the short holes kicked my tail, because they're not just short. They are short and tight. Paint Creek makes you shape shots -- if you only throw one or two shots, you're in for a long day. #7 is an evil little hole, especially.

I've always had grand ideas of buying a large piece of land and building my own dream course. Now I know what that course will look like when it's finished -- it will look almost exactly like Paint Creek.

highly recommended

2-4    9/19/2013   9/19/2013
Review By: sion
Pros: I like everything about this course. Excellent signage, proper concrete tee pads at all holes, good mix of easy vs challenging holes...The back 12 (holes 9-21) being in the pine forest is a rare and cool feature.
Cons: There are a couple (maybe 4 or 5) trees that I think ought to be removed, but other than that, I have no complaints.
Other Thoughts: As other reviewers have mentioned, there is a definite RH bias, but since I'm a rightly, I don't mind. I mostly use the RHFH at this course, except for holes 3, 4, 11 and 20, where I throw a RHBH.

Harder than I expected

2-4    7/15/2013   7/16/2013
Review By: alex513ninja
This review was updated on 8/19/2013
Pros: I'll start with the aesthetics. The grass was perfectly kept and recently mowed. Mature trees well placed in the fairways. Once you enter the woods you play amongst magnificent mature pine pine trees on holes 9, 16-20 (Holes 10-15 are in a young deciduous forest). Well manicured fairways in the woods make you throw through tight tunnels. Now for the course. The beginning open holes force you to through blind shots or through tight gaps between the aforementioned trees in fairways. Once in the forest there are normally a couple routes available on tunnel holes so they don't favor either throwing hand or style. If your accuracy is off even just a little you'll pay dearly in this forest. Baskets are DISCatchers so they are easy to spot in the woods and also the chains catch well. The ground is pretty much covered by pine needles in the forest (Holes 9, 16-20) so the undergrowth is minimal on holes featuring these trees. Holes 10-15 do have minimal undergrowth but nothing compared to some wooded courses. Also a very important thing for me was the big, long concrete teepads. I wish every course had tees like this one.
Cons: Only a couple for this course and I might just be nitpicking here. The course tends to favor RHBH, especially in the open holes, which happens to be how I throw but for RHFH or LHBH it can pose an issue. The rough was really rough in places, really thick and and lots of thorns. Also brush piles of thorn bushes and other debris seemed to be randomly dumped along a few of the holes.
Other Thoughts: An instant favorite the first time I played it. I played it after playing Rocky Fork and Pike Lake that same day and it was my favorite of the 3. Next time I'll make sure to play it first so I have fresh arm.

Back to Nature

1    5/31/2013   6/26/2013
Review By: natdog14
Pros: Very well laid out. This was our first time playing the course and we didn't have any trouble finding out way around. It had a very nice flow to it.
Nice mix of challenge - some wide open areas to let loose and some highly technical areas.
Excellent condition - teas, signage, pins, etc. All in great shape. One of the most well maintained course I've played.
Cons: Trees. Lots of frickin' trees.

Other Thoughts: Really well thought out and well planned course. Wish more of the parks had courses like this.

Photos finally loaded

5+    12/11/2012   2/11/2013
Review By: AceWraith
This review was updated on 8/22/2013
Pros: -Good length
-Great Layout
-Great concrete tee pads
-nice baskets
-good flow
-Wonderful, Peaceful Walk
-Camp store sells disc and drink and ice cream and bug spray
-Ace Runs - I nailed 18 :) which isnt an ace run but still epic. (tip: throw from 4 o'clock to 10 o'clock from the tee, the back door)
-long bombers
-You will use most disc in your bag
Cons: Only a fewcomplaints
1. A mostly flat course, he used what he had but everyone loves a long downhill rip.
2. Needs more benches, it has a few picnic table in well placed spots, but a few benches wouldn't hurt.

3. holes 2,3,4 are extremely soggy after a hard rain
Other Thoughts: Overall I love this course and it is definately worth the drive. Since there isnt much elevation change it doesnt wear you out to much and I have played 4 rounds here in one day. The rough can be rough as most country courses but keep an eye on your drive you'll be just fine. You Will find your disc... maybe not on hole 7 lol play smart. This course is sprinkled with beautiful nature, great lines, and challenge. The front is more open and long and the back is shorter, tight and technical.

Play it, Love it, OWN IT!

Also respect the course, there are trash cans

A great course for an awesome inaugural tourney

2-4    9/8/2012   9/8/2012
Review By: sisyphus
Pros: The DG course at the beautiful Paint Creek Park is a new addition to the Hillsboro/Chillicothe, Ohio region, and adds a relatively challenging 21 holes for the recreational to intermediate player's options in the area. Opening near the office/general store parking area with a half dozen predominantly 'open' holes shaped by the foliage, you work your way across the main drive for two holes that start teasing you with tight gaps and turns, before coming back through a pine forest with excellent use of lines and elevation to shape shots of all varieties and a range of distances.

Brand new, generously sized concrete tees are now in place for all 21 holes, most of which range from 220' to 374', with the exception of three under 200', and a couple over 400'. The design does have a tendency toward 'blind' basket positions, so pay attention to the (really nice) tee signs. If you're playing here for the first time, it doesn't take too much extra walking to take the occasional peek ahead (and sometimes, you'll need to do so to be sure the basket area is clear of the group in front of you).

If you're not a fan of the occasional blind hyzer (rhbh) shot, or a wooded anny, you will just have to look for all the other shots available here to make you grin. But if you've got a solid rhfh, and can keep your disc controlled in the woods, you might score quite well here.

As with any newer course, the fairways are decently maintained, while the rough can be a challenge, especially on the holes before the pines. In the woods however, the carpet of pine needles tends to control the undergrowth, so errant shots are not as likely to go missing as in other types of woods.

There are picnic benches and trash cans scattered occasionally throughout the course, and I saw a bathroom off the parking area by the 6th tee. As far as other amenities, this state park has camping, RV spaces, mini-golf, a nice fishing and boating lake, etc., etc.!
Cons: The current course map is fairly rough, and includes only the original 18 holes, but there are 21 permanent baskets now, so a new map is needed. Only one spot in the course has a traffic challenge, and that is where you cross back from the 7th basket to the 8th tee across the 6th fairway (though you could just as easily walk around, and the sight lines are wide open).
Other Thoughts: If you live anywhere in southwestern Ohio, or are venturing through the region, there is now a trio of fun courses out here (Paint Creek, Pike Lake, and Rocky Fork).

Since I always play multiple rounds on a course before submitting a review, I was excited to have made my second trip out here this weekend for the inaugural Redneck Open tournament, which probably had one of most generous player's pack and payouts of any C-tier I've experienced. Enthusiastic hosting (thanks, Don!) and fun extra events, including a CTP contest for cabin rentals at Paint Creek and Hocking Hills, made this a memorable inaugural!

Great course

2-4    9/1/2012   9/5/2012
Review By: LBC19
Pros: Just started to play,this was my frist course. Me and a couple friends went to a park demo,and we were all hooked!! Went out the next day and bought my first disc. Love the layout ! will play it again for sure!! Thanks to the parks for putting in these courses for us to enjoy!!!
Cons: couple of holes were grown up a bit.
Other Thoughts: I am a regular golfer and now that i have played disc golf im not sure i will be going back to regular golf!!!

1    7/16/2012   7/16/2012
Review By: jessmac
Pros: This course is in the middle of a very nice state park. I love it when you can't hear anything but nature. Its an absolutly beautiful setting. As others have mentioned the signage must get done soon because it can be hard to find holes. Some holes concrete, some holes gravel, some holes two flags and dirt, one hole had only one flag. I tee'd off on 17 thinking it was 10. There is a nice black bench on hole 10. After 18 I could not find 19 so i quit after 18. I will definantly go back and may even camp there.

Almost

5+    4/9/2012   5/4/2012
Review By: catchermccord
Pros: -Concrete tee pads on most holes
-Good blind holes throughout
-Many challenging shots on the back 9
-Front 9 is pretty basic, but still very fun
Cons: -Like the previous review, this course is not quite there yet.
-Signage is a definite need.
-Not all holes have concrete tee pads, a few in the woods do, but not all.
Other Thoughts: Fun, newly built course. Front 9 is pretty open, with a few long holes. Tight tunnel shots on the back 9. Can be hard to find the next hole if you dont have a course map with you. The pine forest hole when you first go int othe woods is the signature hole, in my opinion. All in all a very fun course that will test all types of shots. Campstore located near the 1st hole with course maps located outside. Like I stated, still being groomed out. The course is almost finished and has excellent potential.