Bainbridge, OH
Paint Creek State Park Share
Uploaded By: AceWraith Hole #15 (Taken 8/2012)
-- / --   4 / 292ft.   3 / 293ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

My New Favorite Course

1    6/13/2014   6/13/2014
Review By: wkelly42
Pros: Variety. Different lengths, different degrees of openness -- you cannot say that two holes were exactly the same on this course.

Challenge. Looking at the Hole Info, I didn't think this would be a tough course. I laugh at myself -- this course is a challenge, at least to me. Got out of here with a +9 my first time out, and was very happy to get that.

Surroundings. This park is beautiful, there are other activities, the lake is great -- this place makes me want to go camping, and my idea of roughing it is no free WiFi when I check in.

Signage/Navigation. Easy to follow, easy to walk. Only time I got messed up was when I didn't pay attention to the sign.

Discs available for sale. Yeah, they only have Innova (that I saw), but at least they are trying.
Cons: Hole 21 was closed when I played. I walked past it anyway (it was the best way to get back to the parking lot) and could REALLY smell the stink from the dumpsters and other things there. Not sure if it's that way all the time or if that was WHY the hole was closed.

The biggest Con is that it isn't closer to my house. I'd play here every day if I could.
Other Thoughts: I don't have a big arm, so I figured the biggest challenge here would be on the longer holes. Nope -- the short holes kicked my tail, because they're not just short. They are short and tight. Paint Creek makes you shape shots -- if you only throw one or two shots, you're in for a long day. #7 is an evil little hole, especially.

I've always had grand ideas of buying a large piece of land and building my own dream course. Now I know what that course will look like when it's finished -- it will look almost exactly like Paint Creek.

Harder than I expected

2-4    7/15/2013   7/16/2013
Review By: alex513ninja
This review was updated on 8/19/2013
Pros: I'll start with the aesthetics. The grass was perfectly kept and recently mowed. Mature trees well placed in the fairways. Once you enter the woods you play amongst magnificent mature pine pine trees on holes 9, 16-20 (Holes 10-15 are in a young deciduous forest). Well manicured fairways in the woods make you throw through tight tunnels. Now for the course. The beginning open holes force you to through blind shots or through tight gaps between the aforementioned trees in fairways. Once in the forest there are normally a couple routes available on tunnel holes so they don't favor either throwing hand or style. If your accuracy is off even just a little you'll pay dearly in this forest. Baskets are DISCatchers so they are easy to spot in the woods and also the chains catch well. The ground is pretty much covered by pine needles in the forest (Holes 9, 16-20) so the undergrowth is minimal on holes featuring these trees. Holes 10-15 do have minimal undergrowth but nothing compared to some wooded courses. Also a very important thing for me was the big, long concrete teepads. I wish every course had tees like this one.
Cons: Only a couple for this course and I might just be nitpicking here. The course tends to favor RHBH, especially in the open holes, which happens to be how I throw but for RHFH or LHBH it can pose an issue. The rough was really rough in places, really thick and and lots of thorns. Also brush piles of thorn bushes and other debris seemed to be randomly dumped along a few of the holes.
Other Thoughts: An instant favorite the first time I played it. I played it after playing Rocky Fork and Pike Lake that same day and it was my favorite of the 3. Next time I'll make sure to play it first so I have fresh arm.

a word from the designer

5+    11/28/2011   11/29/2011
Review By: sidearmdon
This review was updated on 10/2/2012
Pros: I tried to design a course that is difficult but fun. Most advanced players will be over par so you need to get your birdies when you can. There are different types of shots needed, back hands, forehands, big hyzers, straight shots, rollers and overhands. The front nine are mostly right hand back hand and the back nine is mostly right hand forehand. Beautiful park, camp store has disc and ice cream!
Cons: It is a newer course which means we are still working on it. The rough is rough, the woods are woodsy, they are tight. It is truly a work in progress. There is still loose brush and down limbs that need picked up. I have a guy working on tee signs and another guy working on scorecards and arrows pointing to the next tee. The rest of the tee pads will be in by the Spring of 2012. We still need tee signs, trash cans, some tee pads, a message board, alternate pins and maybe, just maybe short tee pads.
Other Thoughts: Again, I wanted to make the course as tough as possible, so remember if you are over par, most everyone is too. I wanted to make it as difficult as I could with the land that was available. There is work still being done and it is looking better all the time. Please do not litter.