Bainbridge, OH
Paint Creek State Park Share
Uploaded By: AceWraith Hole #17 (Taken 8/2012)

< Prev 1 2 3
Decent but uninspired course

1    9/19/2016   9/20/2016
Review By: gcoghill
Pros: Very clean and well-maintained park and course. Tee signs, tee pads and usually a bench at every tee. Very easy to navigate. Decent mix of challenges.
Cons: The biggest con for this course is the blandness. It's a decent course. But there's nothing particularly exceptional about it.
Other Thoughts: DGCR says that a 2.5 disc rating is for a decent/typical course. That sums up this course. It's very clean and well-maintained. But it's kind of boring. It's obvious that it used to be a really bland 9-hole course that was converted into a 21-hole course.

The first 8 holes are typcial multi-use park asphalt-hugger holes. The new addition is the current 9 to 20 hole section. This takes you into the woods. These holes can be quite technically challenging, and really they should really be called "difficult" rather than "challenging". A challenge is fun, difficult just feels like a chore.

Going from the novice-friendly 8 holes into very narrow tree-lined fairways is a bit jarring. They weren't much fun, nor very interesting.

Hole 21 tees off back along the grass hugging the road, and worse it puts you right behind the trash bins and dump station. Otherwise I really liked the 21st hole. A nice long fairway over some gently rolling terrain.

Not sure what to say about this course. The park and course are very clean and well taken care of. But it was all just a bit bland and unmemorable. Maybe if you're within 15 minutes from here you might consider a round. But considering the seclusion, it's not worth any effort to check it out (as I did).

Nice course off the beaten path.

1    8/28/2016   8/29/2016
Review By: UFM82
Pros: 21 hole course that has its quirks but but was very fun to play. Hole 1 fools you- beautiful fairway, cleanly mowed, basket on s pedestal with a flagpole sticking up from the middle. Then you head into the scrub. Holes 2, 3 and 4 are dog-legs in the low woods and brush. 5 is back out, 6 and 7 need accuracy, 8 is a basic straight shot if you can do that. 9 is where you suddenly find yourself in Michigan in the tall pines. Quiet, peaceful and open to the extent you won't lose a disc but you need to be in control or you will pinball off many trees. #15 as mentioned is an interesting hole for anyone who appreciates multiple approach lines. All back 9 holes plus the added 3 are in the pines with 21 coming out into open area. The baskets are the nicest I have played this year with a couple being brand new. All are plumb and baskets are level. Cool course that takes 2 1/2 hours to enjoy...
Cons: We couldn't find the tee for 11 but we found the basket. We missed #6 at first and had to scout backwards to find it. Most holes had a next tee sign but some didn't and we had to search for a couple. The front part worked me as 2,3 and 4 were not attractive looking holes but it got much better after that.
Other Thoughts: I'll play this course again for certain. Nice place.

Paint Creek

5+    7/2/2016   7/2/2016
Review By: Armus Patheticus
Pros: The course is well-maintained and very well designed. Of the 21 established holes, none are impossibly difficult or boringly simple. For average players, many holes can provide a three-shot scoring separation. Every hole (even the intimidatingly wooded 15) has its line, but some can take a while to decipher, adding to the challenge and enjoyment of the course.

All of the mundane things like signage and tee pads are in good order. The park store sells discs, and more importantly, ice cream.
Cons: Of the three new holes, AB&C, A and B are currently a real chore to play.

A was originally an acute dogleg right with the approach thick with small trees. A new tee has been established that eliminates the dogleg but that plays across a wet-weather pond and its small dam. There is currently no "fairway" off the tee. One bending sycamore could be removed to provide a shot at clearing the dam to set up the still congested approach, but as it is now, the only option seems to me to be thumber, thumber, squirrely approach, putt. I'm not a fan of the savagery of an overhand throw through foliage, so I hope there is some pruning planned for this hole.

There are two tees for hole B, one is around 100' from a right angle dogleg left, and the other is about 250' from the dogleg. The approach to the basket is full of small trees that take precision to navigate. Because of the ceiling, it is very difficult to drive to the dogleg from the long tee, meaning the second shot is a little toss to the corner to set up a third that weaves through the saplings. This hole too could be improved by the removal of a few branches.

I'm sure that the intent is to let these holes get worked in for a while and see what else needs to be done to them. The problem is that they are currently so miserable that most everyone I see playing the course skips them. It is also possible that some players are unaware of the new holes, since there is no signage pointing them out.

The road and over is OB right on hole 1, but most RHBH players throw over the road to cut the bend in the fairway. This is fine, except that approaching cars are hidden from view until the last second. I've had some close calls here myself, and have started playing this as a backhand roller hole to avoid the road.

What may have been the most goofily designed hole (18, intended to be a 100' to right angle left then 200' corridor between pines) has been overruled by players, who have cut the corner until a sensible fairway has emerged. The only problem with this is that the teepad is angled diagonally to the line of play, and the tee sign is smack in the way of the run-up. I've got a miniature run-up, so I don't care, but I've seen some players fault off the teepad before releasing so they can get their five steps in.
Other Thoughts: That looks like a lot of cons, but it isn't. The course is otherwise impossible to rightly complain about. Besides being good golf, it is beautifully set and a real pleasure to play. This is a course that must be learned in order to score well, and that rewards a diverse skill set.

If you do play the new holes, be careful on A&B. There are several large honey-locusts and some of these have dropped branches. I got a nice little jolt today when a massive thorn went through my shoe and well into my foot.

Paint Creek

5+    6/5/2016   6/7/2016
Review By: RodneyHavens
Pros: This course is in the middle of a very nice state park. I love it when you can't hear anything but nature. Its an absolutely beautiful setting with towering pines on holes 9,16,17, 18,and 19. ,
Cons: Some teepads needs poured, signage needs replaced.
Other Thoughts: Alternate holes have been placed between 11 and 16

Back again!!

1    10/12/2014   10/14/2014
Review By: Chainchaser
Pros: -Tee pads are great!
-Baskets in good shape.
-Layout is not to bad but bring a map just in case.
-Wooded holes.
-Plenty of variety.
Cons: -2 hours away!!
-1-7 the brush is thick so keep it in the fairways.
-needles from pine tree can cover the teepads in the woods and make them slippery.
Could use more benches and garbage cans
Other Thoughts: We had played the front 7 of this course a while back but it was extremely hot and we did not finish it. This time we came out only to find a halloween event going on. We were able to find a place to park and since all the cars had the front seven blocked we started at 8 and worked from there. This course takes you into a really neat pine tree area of the park. I really like the setup and the layout. Once past the pine tree you went in to regular forest. All the holes seemed to have good lines if you can hit then. I think if I could change any hole it would be 15. It was like watching plinko on the price is right if you hit a tree. Even though the wooded holes were short they were very technical and required good accuracy. Hole 1-7 are definitely more open and also require accuracy because the rough is tough. All in all though a great course and we had a lot of fun playing. As I put under my cons I just wish it closer to the house.

My New Favorite Course

1    6/13/2014   6/13/2014
Review By: wkelly42
Pros: Variety. Different lengths, different degrees of openness -- you cannot say that two holes were exactly the same on this course.

Challenge. Looking at the Hole Info, I didn't think this would be a tough course. I laugh at myself -- this course is a challenge, at least to me. Got out of here with a +9 my first time out, and was very happy to get that.

Surroundings. This park is beautiful, there are other activities, the lake is great -- this place makes me want to go camping, and my idea of roughing it is no free WiFi when I check in.

Signage/Navigation. Easy to follow, easy to walk. Only time I got messed up was when I didn't pay attention to the sign.

Discs available for sale. Yeah, they only have Innova (that I saw), but at least they are trying.
Cons: Hole 21 was closed when I played. I walked past it anyway (it was the best way to get back to the parking lot) and could REALLY smell the stink from the dumpsters and other things there. Not sure if it's that way all the time or if that was WHY the hole was closed.

The biggest Con is that it isn't closer to my house. I'd play here every day if I could.
Other Thoughts: I don't have a big arm, so I figured the biggest challenge here would be on the longer holes. Nope -- the short holes kicked my tail, because they're not just short. They are short and tight. Paint Creek makes you shape shots -- if you only throw one or two shots, you're in for a long day. #7 is an evil little hole, especially.

I've always had grand ideas of buying a large piece of land and building my own dream course. Now I know what that course will look like when it's finished -- it will look almost exactly like Paint Creek.

highly recommended

2-4    9/19/2013   9/19/2013
Review By: sion
Pros: I like everything about this course. Excellent signage, proper concrete tee pads at all holes, good mix of easy vs challenging holes...The back 12 (holes 9-21) being in the pine forest is a rare and cool feature.
Cons: There are a couple (maybe 4 or 5) trees that I think ought to be removed, but other than that, I have no complaints.
Other Thoughts: As other reviewers have mentioned, there is a definite RH bias, but since I'm a rightly, I don't mind. I mostly use the RHFH at this course, except for holes 3, 4, 11 and 20, where I throw a RHBH.

Harder than I expected

2-4    7/15/2013   7/16/2013
Review By: alex513ninja
This review was updated on 8/19/2013
Pros: I'll start with the aesthetics. The grass was perfectly kept and recently mowed. Mature trees well placed in the fairways. Once you enter the woods you play amongst magnificent mature pine pine trees on holes 9, 16-20 (Holes 10-15 are in a young deciduous forest). Well manicured fairways in the woods make you throw through tight tunnels. Now for the course. The beginning open holes force you to through blind shots or through tight gaps between the aforementioned trees in fairways. Once in the forest there are normally a couple routes available on tunnel holes so they don't favor either throwing hand or style. If your accuracy is off even just a little you'll pay dearly in this forest. Baskets are DISCatchers so they are easy to spot in the woods and also the chains catch well. The ground is pretty much covered by pine needles in the forest (Holes 9, 16-20) so the undergrowth is minimal on holes featuring these trees. Holes 10-15 do have minimal undergrowth but nothing compared to some wooded courses. Also a very important thing for me was the big, long concrete teepads. I wish every course had tees like this one.
Cons: Only a couple for this course and I might just be nitpicking here. The course tends to favor RHBH, especially in the open holes, which happens to be how I throw but for RHFH or LHBH it can pose an issue. The rough was really rough in places, really thick and and lots of thorns. Also brush piles of thorn bushes and other debris seemed to be randomly dumped along a few of the holes.
Other Thoughts: An instant favorite the first time I played it. I played it after playing Rocky Fork and Pike Lake that same day and it was my favorite of the 3. Next time I'll make sure to play it first so I have fresh arm.

Back to Nature

1    5/31/2013   6/26/2013
Review By: natdog14
Pros: Very well laid out. This was our first time playing the course and we didn't have any trouble finding out way around. It had a very nice flow to it.
Nice mix of challenge - some wide open areas to let loose and some highly technical areas.
Excellent condition - teas, signage, pins, etc. All in great shape. One of the most well maintained course I've played.
Cons: Trees. Lots of frickin' trees.

Other Thoughts: Really well thought out and well planned course. Wish more of the parks had courses like this.

Photos finally loaded

5+    12/11/2012   2/11/2013
Review By: AceWraith
This review was updated on 8/22/2013
Pros: -Good length
-Great Layout
-Great concrete tee pads
-nice baskets
-good flow
-Wonderful, Peaceful Walk
-Camp store sells disc and drink and ice cream and bug spray
-Ace Runs - I nailed 18 :) which isnt an ace run but still epic. (tip: throw from 4 o'clock to 10 o'clock from the tee, the back door)
-long bombers
-You will use most disc in your bag
Cons: Only a fewcomplaints
1. A mostly flat course, he used what he had but everyone loves a long downhill rip.
2. Needs more benches, it has a few picnic table in well placed spots, but a few benches wouldn't hurt.

3. holes 2,3,4 are extremely soggy after a hard rain
Other Thoughts: Overall I love this course and it is definately worth the drive. Since there isnt much elevation change it doesnt wear you out to much and I have played 4 rounds here in one day. The rough can be rough as most country courses but keep an eye on your drive you'll be just fine. You Will find your disc... maybe not on hole 7 lol play smart. This course is sprinkled with beautiful nature, great lines, and challenge. The front is more open and long and the back is shorter, tight and technical.

Play it, Love it, OWN IT!

Also respect the course, there are trash cans

< Prev 1 2 3