Cordova, TN
The Grove at Red Oak Lake Share
Uploaded By: Boliolio Hole #15 (Taken 11/2014)

Best in the Area

1    10/12/2014   10/14/2014
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: After three trips up to Memphis, I finally got a chance to play the Grove, and boy, was it worth the wait.

The course is set on a church camp, which made it in great condition. The wide open holes in the fields were cut and it made me feel like I was on a pay to play course. The course plays around a big lake with it coming into play on a few holes. With this being on a church camp, there is no alcohol allowed, which makes the trash virtually nonexistent that you may see in public park courses.

From wide open bomber holes, to moderately wooded holes to tight holes in the woods, this course may be the all around most diverse course I have ever played. All the holes were named, which also added to holes being memorable. I honestly did not feel like there were that may holes that could be filler holes.

With there being multiple pin positions that move frequently from what I heard, the course has a different look all the time. From what the sign shows, the other pins are in significant different places.

Hole 15 was my favorite hole on the course. I love a good water carry shot, and with only a 180' carry, it should not be a huge problem for even the average player to carry.

A lot of love and thought went into this course and it shows on just about every hole.
Cons: At times there was no clear defined spot to walk to the next tee. All of the baskets had arrows pointing to the next tee, but sometimes there were no trails and you kind of just had to make your own path.

The course is a seasonal course, which means it is open only certain times of the year including being closed the entire summer. I got lucky in that I was able to play on a weekend I was in town, I was not as fortunate other times I have been in the Memphis area.
Other Thoughts: This course may rank in my top five favorite played ever. I hope for the opportunity to play this more in the future.

Check the Facebook page of the course before coming. The Facebook page can be found in the links/files tab. They are pretty good about saying when the course is available to play.

This is a must play in the Memphis area.

pristine and beautiful

1    4/7/2012   5/7/2012
Review By: Memphis Newbie
This review was updated on 7/25/2012
Pros: Above all, I loved this course because of the impeccable maintenance of the entire facility. All area courses have beautiful woods, but at this course there is no trash, rusty equipment, or deteriorating structures to detract from that beauty. Rather, the structures here frame that beauty and add to it.
Huge tee pads.
Great signs.
Top quality baskets (I love DGAs, but I prefer the visibility of Discatchers, especially when playing a new course).
Great hole variety-short, long, tight, open, right, left, water.
Hole #6 is a classic long, wooded hole
Several of the holes seem to use a John Houck 2-shot strategy. Meaning you need to make two accurate shots to reach the green (not just two long shots). These holes spread out your scores and add variety to repeat visits (can you think of any holes at your local favorite where you always get the same score?)
Cons: We did get lost a couple of times, but other golfers helped us out. A couple of signs could help the flow.
The facility is a Christian youth camp, so it is usually not open to disc golfers. (however, being a private facility is also why it is so nice and clean)
Other Thoughts: This course is a model for course design and installation. If you get the chance to play here, do so, and make sure you thank the staff for a great time.