Benicia, CA
Benicia Community Park Share
Uploaded By: jmp55 Hole #8 (Taken 11/2011)
3 / 438ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #8 Tee: Tee is set into the side of the hill. Throw across valley to the next peek.

benicia community park

1    11/3/2015   11/3/2015
Review By: nukerfu
Pros: Good beginner course,not likely to loose disc's. Nice park surrounding it.8 is challenging you cant see the basket.
Cons: None of the tee's are numbered or have signs !there are 4by4 posts installed at each tee they just need to number them! Got lost /confused ruined my score keeping. Pedestrian traffic can be an issue on first couple tee's.Wind may be a factor here.
Other Thoughts: Please number the tee's and put up arrows indicating direction Thank you!

Bring your hiking shoes

1    6/11/2015   6/12/2015
Review By: sumo21
Pros: 1) Obstacles on every hole which makes it a bit of a challenge.

2) Restrooms on site.

3) Variety of lengths of holes, multiple positions.

4) Beautiful views from the walkways around holes 6,7,8.

5) Each of the holes is marked by a 2X4.

6) Most holes have a carpet tee pad.

7) Pedestrian walkways not really a problem with for traffic, maybe with the exception of the first hole.
Cons: 1) Navigation can be a problem.

2) No marker for hole 6, I believe.

3) Lots of sticker thorns, so cover up your legs.

4) Crosswinds can be fairly strong and force you to adjust for it.
Other Thoughts: It's a nice little course that sits on the outskirts of the park, which has baseball/softball fields, dog park and a skate park. Bring your GPS if you're not from the area, because it took a little maneuvering to get to the park, which is located next to a school. Make sure you're ready to hike, beginning on hole 3 to hole 9. Very enjoyable to play for a 9-hole course.

Some Parts I Really Liked, Others Not So Much!

1    6/22/2014   7/9/2014
Pros: Benecia Community Park is fairly large park with six softball/baseball fields, skate park, dog park, soccer fields and the other usual playground areas. The course circles the ballfields making a complete circle almost back to the parking lot.
There is a practice basket and course sign near the parking lot but then it's a fairly long walk to the first tee.
Here I found a kiosk with a small map. This tee pad was nicely landscaped. A pole was there, ready for the tee sign to be attached. The tee pads are rubber pads with a wooden border surrounding them.
I liked # 2. It was a cool tunnel shot throwing through a gap in the trees probably 30' apart. The basket was set about 275' out in the open.
# 3 is an uphill shot requiring a slight hyzer.
Holes 7 and 8, although windy as hell, were fun as can be. # 7 was throwing right into the force of a strong wind.
# 8 seems to be most player's choice as the signature hole here. The pad is surrounded by patio blocks. The view here is outstanding. others have talked about what mountains and oceans and straights they were looking at. I had no idea what I was looking at but I was certainly impressed by it. The sign says this hole is 420' although I doubt it's over 275'. The basket is set up on a dirt mound just completing the excellent design of this great hole.
Cons: I struggled a bit with my navigation. Don't think I ever found # 4. I hiked to the very top of the big hill here thinking this would be the logical place for the # 4 tee pad but still couldn't locate it. So I just skipped it. Threw a practice shot into wild brush below. After hunting for my disc in that,I think I realize why the tee pad is not located at the top.

I didn't find # 6 until after my round was over. I kinda half suspected it was down in that corner.

The more rugged areas of the course are pretty ugly, brown and dry and prickly. Finding your disc in this stuff can be a nuisance.

Gale force winds!
Other Thoughts: Like others have commented, there are some features that I really like about this course and some other things I'm not so thrilled with. I think the course would be much more esthetically pleasing during the wetter seasons.

Some interesting holes but flawed

2-4    12/1/2013   2/21/2014
Review By: kevaunne
Pros: - Some interesting hole configurations (1, 2, 7 & 8) with elevation changes, adequate distance, and obstacles.
- Practice basket, easy navigation, mostly good quality rubber tees
- Low traffic
- Tons of parking and other nice park amenities
- Family and dog friendly
Cons: - Some short holes (3, 5 & 6) that have minimal or no obstacles. Basically throw short drives into wide open, sloped terrain for straightforward birdies.
- 4th tee is dirt
- long walk between 9 & 1
Other Thoughts: This is a young course aimed more towards beginners. I definitely had some fun rounds here but in the end, I left wanting more. I wish they had used more of the vast open land that borders this course because, as it stands, it can be disappointingly short and simple.

8 is definitely the standout hole here. You throw across a long flat valley and the basket is on the sloped backside of a ~20ft cliff. Very fun hole!

New placements a plus

5+    1/21/2014   1/22/2014
Review By: dbdg707
Pros: Just went yesterday and there are nearly new pin placements for every hole. Some are a lot further or challenging.

Never crowds there as it's tucked back in the hills.

Let it rip. Several holes have the potential to chuck it.

Goats were brought in this fall and the grass is down to dirt in most spots.

Some cool views of Lake Herman, the Carquinez Strait and other cities.

Some birdie chances and even an ace chance on 5.

Top of the world shot on 4.
Cons: Wind on certain days. But I actually enjoy the challenge.

Some path walkers, but most are really nice and will talk to you about the game out of curiosity.

Beginners may have a hard time navigating between 3 and 6. Ask someone, locals are inviting and often ask you to play along.

Really wish they had more than 9.

Hole 8 is now ridiculously far. Good luck.
Other Thoughts: Love my home course, but understand the flaws. Great place to practice for weekend destination courses.

Course starts and ends on opposite sides of large park.

Wide open course!

1    10/22/2013   10/25/2013
Review By: TimZ
Pros: A nice change up from the other local courses for some completely wide open play! A lumberjack's delight, this place is going to have you placing big, long shots and seeing some wider results from your discs. And the wind is crazy! Some rad shots over valleys, and down hills. It was a really fun round to go big and test your distance limits, and capabilities of your different discs.
Cons: There is not a lot of guidance at all other than a google map at the start of the course. Take a photo. The tees do not indicate which number tee, which of 3 pin positions it is on, or any information at all. But you could usually see the pin from the tee, so that was less of an issue since this place is so open. Watch out for some trailers in play around 7-9 hole. I almost ended up pegging a dog with a big sky hyzer shot. He got quite a jump when the disc skipped by him and under the trailer! It was very hot on an october afternoon, I would advise bringing a hat, and sun block, water.
Other Thoughts: Hit it for sure if you are near, and worth a little bit of a drive if you're cravin' a big drive!

This is the Delta...

1    6/23/2013   7/7/2013
Review By: beereakfast
This review was updated on 7/16/2013
Pros: Some signage, not much. As I read the rules, beers are permitted off of the paved trails and out of the sports complex. I could be wrong. Don't trust this. The signs seem to make exceptions but you wont see them until after hole 9. The walk back to 1 is not far and is a good way to ditch the trash. I picked up a little but this place is very clean overall. This was quite entertaining. No poison oak seen at all! Lotsa bees and this is tick and rattle snake country. Look out. The tees are fine, usually rubber but even the dirt tees are fine. (I come from Chabot with nothing but dirt) I think there are restrooms at the little league park, and water fountains, but I didn't investigate. Pure speculation. They may be closed during off hours but the local team was practicing when I was out.
Cons: Hole 4 has no tee pads or any indication where to play from other than the tiny map at hole 1. I still found both tee areas with no problem.
Other Thoughts: This is a course where the wind will make you its mistress. She is a wicked temptress who beckons you to just try the shot that you think will be easy, and then destroys your arrogance with a mere gust! Come prepared for a steady-ish delta breeze and bring water. The wind here is as much a factor in shot selection as the trees are on a wooded course. A shot that runs to the right off of the top of the hill on hole 4 can go a long way down the canyon. I got really lucky.
There is a pretty easy flow to the course. Next tee signs would be nice but I followed it on my first visit solo. I love what they've done with the available hills.

The Commons

1    3/28/2013   4/11/2013
Review By: hydro5757
Pros: *Beautiful, muli-use park setting
*Plenty of Parking
*Good tee boxes (mostly!)
*Decent elevation changes
*Very few people midweek during the day

*Huge bonus, the practice hole right by the parking lot!
Cons: *Map was NOT GOOD. It was a small computer print out stapled to a HUGE board
*No real SAFE trail from tee to whole on 7&8 throuh the valley. VERY uneven.
*could not find the tee box for hole 4. Checked on top of the hill, bottom of hill. Map did not help!
*Long walk from hole 8 to tee box of 9
*if yo want to do 18, the walk from 9 back to 1 is about 1/5 mile.
Other Thoughts: This course was a fun course to play. there is a bit of walking traffic specifically on hole 1 and 6 so watch out.
Hole number 2 was my favorit. through the trees, dog leg right, and down. (I played it 4 times!)
The big thing about this course is not that there is a lack of tree or obsticales, most days the obsticales is the wind!

Free course

1    3/15/2012   7/27/2012
Review By: bassman87
Pros: Free course, diverse layout with open fields and tree rows, to hilltop tee boxes. challenging holes, with clearly marked tee boxes.
Cons: dirt and wild grass fairway. can easily loose a disc if not careful. windy bay breeze can come and go very quickly.

5+    5/18/2012   5/21/2012
Review By: jmp55
Pros: Interesting shots with elevation changes
Great tee boxes
Practice Basket
Beautiful park
Cons: Wind can be a problem at times
Only 9 holes (hopefully will expand to 18 in years to come).
Currently a lot of weeds, and increased disc loss potential (not usually a problem though).
Currently a TON of ticks!!
Other Thoughts: LOOK OUT FOR TICKS!!! I've played here a lot and it's never been a problem before this last round, but be warned, the ticks are out in full force. No exaggeration, on holes 7 & 8, I pulled around 20 ticks off of me, and my buddy had about 15 more. It was so bad that we blew off our usual second round of 9. So take precautions and check yourself diligently before heading home.