Benicia, CA
Benicia Community Park Share
Uploaded By: jmp55   (Taken 11/2011)
Practice Basket

Some Parts I Really Liked, Others Not So Much!

1    6/22/2014   7/9/2014
Pros: Benecia Community Park is fairly large park with six softball/baseball fields, skate park, dog park, soccer fields and the other usual playground areas. The course circles the ballfields making a complete circle almost back to the parking lot.
There is a practice basket and course sign near the parking lot but then it's a fairly long walk to the first tee.
Here I found a kiosk with a small map. This tee pad was nicely landscaped. A pole was there, ready for the tee sign to be attached. The tee pads are rubber pads with a wooden border surrounding them.
I liked # 2. It was a cool tunnel shot throwing through a gap in the trees probably 30' apart. The basket was set about 275' out in the open.
# 3 is an uphill shot requiring a slight hyzer.
Holes 7 and 8, although windy as hell, were fun as can be. # 7 was throwing right into the force of a strong wind.
# 8 seems to be most player's choice as the signature hole here. The pad is surrounded by patio blocks. The view here is outstanding. others have talked about what mountains and oceans and straights they were looking at. I had no idea what I was looking at but I was certainly impressed by it. The sign says this hole is 420' although I doubt it's over 275'. The basket is set up on a dirt mound just completing the excellent design of this great hole.
Cons: I struggled a bit with my navigation. Don't think I ever found # 4. I hiked to the very top of the big hill here thinking this would be the logical place for the # 4 tee pad but still couldn't locate it. So I just skipped it. Threw a practice shot into wild brush below. After hunting for my disc in that,I think I realize why the tee pad is not located at the top.

I didn't find # 6 until after my round was over. I kinda half suspected it was down in that corner.

The more rugged areas of the course are pretty ugly, brown and dry and prickly. Finding your disc in this stuff can be a nuisance.

Gale force winds!
Other Thoughts: Like others have commented, there are some features that I really like about this course and some other things I'm not so thrilled with. I think the course would be much more esthetically pleasing during the wetter seasons.

New placements a plus

5+    1/21/2014   1/22/2014
Review By: dbdg707
Pros: Just went yesterday and there are nearly new pin placements for every hole. Some are a lot further or challenging.

Never crowds there as it's tucked back in the hills.

Let it rip. Several holes have the potential to chuck it.

Goats were brought in this fall and the grass is down to dirt in most spots.

Some cool views of Lake Herman, the Carquinez Strait and other cities.

Some birdie chances and even an ace chance on 5.

Top of the world shot on 4.
Cons: Wind on certain days. But I actually enjoy the challenge.

Some path walkers, but most are really nice and will talk to you about the game out of curiosity.

Beginners may have a hard time navigating between 3 and 6. Ask someone, locals are inviting and often ask you to play along.

Really wish they had more than 9.

Hole 8 is now ridiculously far. Good luck.
Other Thoughts: Love my home course, but understand the flaws. Great place to practice for weekend destination courses.

Course starts and ends on opposite sides of large park.

Wide open course!

1    10/22/2013   10/25/2013
Review By: TimZ
Pros: A nice change up from the other local courses for some completely wide open play! A lumberjack's delight, this place is going to have you placing big, long shots and seeing some wider results from your discs. And the wind is crazy! Some rad shots over valleys, and down hills. It was a really fun round to go big and test your distance limits, and capabilities of your different discs.
Cons: There is not a lot of guidance at all other than a google map at the start of the course. Take a photo. The tees do not indicate which number tee, which of 3 pin positions it is on, or any information at all. But you could usually see the pin from the tee, so that was less of an issue since this place is so open. Watch out for some trailers in play around 7-9 hole. I almost ended up pegging a dog with a big sky hyzer shot. He got quite a jump when the disc skipped by him and under the trailer! It was very hot on an october afternoon, I would advise bringing a hat, and sun block, water.
Other Thoughts: Hit it for sure if you are near, and worth a little bit of a drive if you're cravin' a big drive!

The Commons

1    3/28/2013   4/11/2013
Review By: hydro5757
Pros: *Beautiful, muli-use park setting
*Plenty of Parking
*Good tee boxes (mostly!)
*Decent elevation changes
*Very few people midweek during the day

*Huge bonus, the practice hole right by the parking lot!
Cons: *Map was NOT GOOD. It was a small computer print out stapled to a HUGE board
*No real SAFE trail from tee to whole on 7&8 throuh the valley. VERY uneven.
*could not find the tee box for hole 4. Checked on top of the hill, bottom of hill. Map did not help!
*Long walk from hole 8 to tee box of 9
*if yo want to do 18, the walk from 9 back to 1 is about 1/5 mile.
Other Thoughts: This course was a fun course to play. there is a bit of walking traffic specifically on hole 1 and 6 so watch out.
Hole number 2 was my favorit. through the trees, dog leg right, and down. (I played it 4 times!)
The big thing about this course is not that there is a lack of tree or obsticales, most days the obsticales is the wind!

Looking good, still in development as of Spring 2012

1    3/4/2012   3/8/2012
Review By: jasonc
Pros: New baskets and tee pads here as the course was still in the development stage for my round. Practice basket is always a plus. The course is located in a multi-use park with restrooms. I did not see any trash on the course. Hole #1 is a short walk from the parking lot. The course is far enough away from the rest of the park activities to avoid any conflicts except for Hole #1 which is close to a bike/walking path. Good use of the available elevation here to create some nice uphill and downhill holes, especially on #8. I noticed plenty of sleeves in the ground for alternate basket locations. I would love to come back here to see how the course plays in a different layout, as it appeared that all baskets were in the short positions. Finally, there is great scenery with plenty of mountain views.
Cons: The lack of signs, which is certainly a temporary con, as the posts are already in the ground. The bike/walking path next to Hole #1 certainly has some potential for danger. Please be mindful of people using the path. Outside of #2 and #9, everything is a hyzer shot for a RHBH player like me.
Other Thoughts: From my POV, #8 is the signature hole here. A herd of approximately 100 goats quietly watched from the gallery as I emptied my bag from #8's teepad. This was certainly a new experience for me.

Beginners will find this course challenging. Advanced/Pros may consider this to be an easy walk in the park from the shorts.

I had a lot of fun here and I would certainly come back when I make it back to the Bay Area.

First Impressions

1    11/30/2011   12/1/2011
Review By: SnoWake
Pros: New course - so all aspects of the course (tee boxes, baskets, alternate 'pin placements') are in good condition. Decent variety of distance/elevation changes - and a couple of relatively long holes test your mettle.
Not too many opportunities to lose a disc, even if a throw goes terribly wrong.
Cons: Didn't see the course map near the first tee, and struggled once to find the (6th) tee. No numbers on tees, which (while fairly obvious) might be helpful. Some of the course is a but scrub/weedy - long pants might be a plus at certain times of year.
Other Thoughts: This was my first visit to this new course - and I'll definitely be back. It was very windy when I played - look forward to another visit with more time/daylight, and less wind.