Henrietta, NY
Monroe Community College DGC Share
Uploaded By: jkanick38 Hole #7 (Taken 5/2013)

2-4    6/25/2014   6/25/2014
Review By: Timeetyo
Pros: - 2 sets of baskets. Black baskets are not listed on map or DGCR currently, but add ~50+ feet to each hole and often make the approach much more difficult.
- Nice, long concrete tees (a bit narrow though).
- Great use of water on multiple holes. Close enough to be on your mind and ready to eat an offline shot, but still fair with an option to play it safe (except #9).
- 1 nice water carry (hole 9) is a ~240' carry and slightly downhill.
- Course was very clean, the open fairways well mowed.
- Good variety of lines required.
- Good variety of open vs wooded, technical holes
- Good food @ the Bill Gray's at the iceplex.
Cons: - Mosquitoes. Wow. I normally don't comment on the skeeters because they are an occupational hazard of DG. I am commenting here because they were just plain ridiculous even with a very heavy coating of deep woods off - it didn't phase them. It was bad enough that it actually detracted from my round as I HAD to keep moving to not be eaten alive.
- The water carry on 9. I do love the hole, but if you don't have the distance to carry its a long ways around (not much they could do here with the shape of the pond). I ended up having my son start 1/2 way around the pond and throw the rest of the way from there to avoid frustration.
- No tee signs. Navigation was simple enough with a decent amount of next tee arrows on trees but I'd definitely grab a map as there are a few that are still tricky.
- The flow was funky in a few spots and w/o that map I'd have been a bit confused on some (like the 17-18 walk).
- Some of the wooded areas could use a good visit from a weed whacker and/or bush hog. Reading some other reviews I thought it would be much worse, and it is evident that some good strides have been made. But with that said, there were a few spots that had me wishing for some more. #4 was annoying as I put 2 drives within the circle (one ~10' from the pin) and still spent 5 mins finding my disc. There was another on the back 9 (I want to say 14) that was a L>R dogleg. The dogleg is enough that you can't see the latter 2/3s of your disc's flight. The issue is that although the fairway is ample - it needs bush hogged. It was knee high weeds / underbrush / grass. There were other holes like this, but this was particularly bad because you can't watch the disc go in. I again spent time looking for a disc that was dead center fairway.
- 390 is loud
Other Thoughts: Overall this isn't a bad course, but it is overshadowed (to me) by other Rochester courses that do something (if not many things) better. The only positive that stands out here vs. other Rochester courses is the many water shots which were well executed. With that said, I will be back again later this summer and I hope the bugs die down.

A note on other reviews: I see a lot of mention of this being very wet. I played in late June after it rained last night and most of this morning. It wasn't wet at all on the fairways and only really saw swampy areas off the fairways on the wooded holes which seemed to breed the army of skeeters. I can see where in the early spring it could get ugly though in a few spots.

Deserves a better rating

2-4    11/16/2013   11/29/2013
Review By: Schmankster
Pros: -I played this course last on 11-16-2013. They were in the process of adding "black baskets" (for the more advanced players) on a majority of the holes. I'm not sure if the course map has been updated. This review is based on playing the original course.
-Excellent use of the terrain/ponds
-Practice basket
-Minimal litter
-Plenty of parking behind the ice rink which has a Bill Grays and a bar inside!
Cons: -No benches.
-The constant traffic noise from 390. It's to be expected, but annoying. Let's move 390!
-Some of the holes on the back 9 need a little loving from a weed whacker/brush hog.
-Needs better next hole signs and/or hole description signs. BRING A MAP!! Some of the walks between holes are long and confusing.
-It can get swampy on the back 9. Bring boots/bug spray!
Other Thoughts: -I have played this course a few times and can't understand why it only gets a 2.6 rating. I believe it to be a great course for all skill levels. I always have a good time there, give it a try!
-Make sure you bring a water disc so you can fully enjoy the course. Discs under 140g will float. Don't be afraid of the water! I have launched my wahoo into the water a few times on 9. Then I finally made it across - what a great feeling!

-Here's how I see it:
-#1 Nice starter hole. Open to the left (yay!) and water on the right. The basket is pretty much right in front of you past the rocks.
-#2 Now it gets interesting. The basket is up on top of the slope in the trees a bit to the left. Water on the right.
-#3 Wooded launch chute with a nice open finisher. Be careful of the water by the basket on the right. It's closer than it looks! (R.I.P. my blue Championship Leopard)
-#4 Another wooded launch to a clearing. The basket is up on a small hill.
-#5 Straight on. Trees on the right, a small creek/drainage ditch with lots of reeds on the the left. The water is deep enough to hide a disc perfectly.
-#6 Elevated tee pad that throws over the previously mentioned drainage ditch with the disc eating reeds.Finishes up on the right just inside the treeline
-#7 Pretty much straight on. Tight, wooded fairway.
-#8 Another tight, wooded hole. Curves perfectly from left to right
-#9 The hole everybody came to play! Don't be afraid...you got this!
-#10 Tricky, sloping hole. Pond on the right. The basket is on the right of the pinbe trees in fron of you. Watch out for the water!
-#11 Straight on. A few trees guard your approach. Right beside 390
-#12 Wide open and straight in front of you. Go big!
-#13 A nice little hike (through the awesome looking ropes course!) takes you to 13. Wooded, tight fairway. Curves perfectly for lefties!
-#14 It starts to get a little "scrubby" now. Curves right.
-#15 Scrub. Watch your disc carefully. I saw some poison ivy there too.
-#16 Right to left. TIGHT, wooded.
-#17 One of my favorites. Kinda tight fairway. Nice straight shot
-#18 The walk to this can get confusing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way is to walk beside #3 and 4. Kinda dangerous if you aren't paying attention. Another tight, wooded , curving hole.

1    10/21/2013   10/21/2013
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: The course at MCC is set away from the busy campus area. There are wooded and open holes. Water comes into play on several holes including a pond and a large ditch containing cattails. I visited in October so I didn't see the overgrowth or muddiness that others have mentioned. The course was clean and well maintained during my round.

Other Pros:
- concrete tees but a bit small
- variety of distances, turns, terrain
- water adds risk/reward
- scenic area away from campus
- ample parking at the Iceplex with eats & drinks
Cons: I needed to use the map because there is some backtracking and bridges to cross which can be confusing. Just bring the map and save yourself the aggravation. Beginners probably won't have a good time here.

Other Cons:
- highway traffic noise
- no tee signs
- not the best flow at some points
Other Thoughts: I read the other reviews but I did not experience the overgrowth or swampiness. My rating is based off of my time there but I'm sure those other reviews are accurate for a different season. If you're not from the Rochester area then you may want stop by Bill Gray's Restaurant/Bar in the Iceplex, they really do make great food.

I enjoyed the course and found the pros to outweigh the cons. Rochester has many good courses just make sure to play this one at the right time.

LOVE IT!!!!

5+    5/15/2014   5/15/2013
Review By: jkanick38
This review was updated on 6/12/2014
Pros: increase of dificulty with new black baskets going in.The water is a great challenge for all and makes you play a few holes safe. constantly improving and making new changes. 1 major change that they have made is hole 1 is now starts at the hockey rink. this makes a nice short walk to hole 1 and easy to find. a snack bar right in the parking lot . great new concrete tee pads. very beautiful course. a nice mix of wooded and wide open hole that challenge you with wind trees and length
Cons: -no good tee signs yet
-wet in spring and fall
- hole 4 too short and unimaginative
- 14 - 16 get overgrown and buggy during the fall
- long walk from 17 to 18 that passes right over hole 4 and 3 that makes things strange an awkward when cutting through
Other Thoughts: if you don't like water buy a disc that floats it let you really experience the course with out having to lose a disc or loose money
I love the improvements cant wait for more
this course deserves more that a 2.6 at least a 3 or even 3.25.

Under-appreciated course is fun to play

5+    4/11/2013   4/11/2013
Review By: fictionfree
Pros: -Balanced design with variety of open holes, tight wooded holes, variety of skills/shots needed
-Pretty location with large ponds, large open greens, forest backdrop
-Concrete tees (some need more backfilling through)
-Challenging design with tight woods, over/close-to the water shots, open shots to protected baskets, elevated baskets, elevated tees
-Very low traffic - mostly run into other disc golfers, I see maybe one or two pedestrians every other time I play there
-Free to play, free to park
-Restaurant and bar in the parking lot
Cons: -Wooded areas tend to stay wet well into the season
-Buggy in the woods in warm weather
-Poison ivy throughout wooded areas
-Highway noise on holes 11 and 12
-Basic signage needs upgrading
-Longish walk from 17 to 18, basically unmarked
-Can be hard to find for those unfamiliar/out of town
-Several tees need backfilling
Other Thoughts: This course is still in development - 16 was scrapped due to water/swamping and a new 4 was added. So the numbers on the google map for this course currently do not match the actual course after hole 3. It deserves better than a 2.5 rating - the proximity to water seems to turn a lot of people away, but unless you make a big mistake or poor judgement, you really shouldn't lose discs. I only lose a disc to the ponds once in a while, and always because I grip-locked off the tee. Personally I think this is one of the most fun courses to play in the area - there are no holes that I dread, and it rewards smart shots, even if they aren't executed perfectly. I disagree that this course isn't for beginners - except for the over-the-pond shot on 9 (which is only about 220 feet to safely land), all holes are playable by newbies.

TL;DR: This course is fun to play - ignore the current low rating!

play it safe

2-4    12/14/2012   12/14/2012
Review By: GrEaTeRNaTeR
Pros: This is a great challenge with some woods and some tricky lane shots. The pond gives this course a leg up on most as far as difficulty level... it comes into play on a few holes from having to shoot next to it to having to shoot over it.
Cons: only thing i dont like about this course is potential to lose a disc... but hey! the only way you get better is taking a few risk and making a few mistakes.
Other Thoughts: i dont think this course gets the love that it deserves from fellow disc golfers... dont give it a bad review just because you had one bad round or because your too affraid to throw over water....... sissy!!!

Work in progress

1    11/17/2012   11/18/2012
Review By: sfoulkrod
Pros: Unique golfing experience. Scenic at times.New concrete tees. You only need a midrange and a putter. Really close to the city. Free. Bar in the parking lot.
Cons: Lots of cons, but I still enjoyed the experience. The map on this site is accurate, but the hole numbers aren't in sync. I think things get screwed up at #6 and stay off by one. The holes are unmarked except for a number on the chains. Two of the holes are close enough to the water that if you go for it, you will run the risk of losing some discs unless you're elite. I think the same could be said about some of the holes in the woods because the fairway is not much wider than a logging trail in spots. If you care about your throw count, this course will frustrate you.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this looks like a work in progress which is really cool. I bet in time this will be a much better course. I was able to enjoy myself despite wading into the pond once and losing my disc in the trees several times. I saw several deer, and met some cool people. Id say if you're in the city and want to get some outdoor time in, this works well. If you're never been, you should definitely go. If you already live in Greece, Hilton or Chili, I'd probably not go here often. Other local courses offer a more complete disc golf experience. As a new disc golfer, I didn't find the difficulty of this course frustrating because I consider par to be 'woo hoo' worthy. Intermediate golfers or people who keep score might be frustrated by how many strokes this course will add to their game.

Much improved

2-4    11/5/2012   11/5/2012
Review By: renoob
Pros: Concrete tees are in, which makes navigation a LOT easier.

Very nice mix of open/wooded/water holes.

It's not on the west side of Rochester. Nothing against the west side...but the east side really only has one course (Ellison).
Cons: No tee signs. The concrete tees are in, but some of them are pretty funny looking. I realize they were installed by volunteers, but did no one volunteer to bring a level?

The environment is not perfect--it's buggy in the summer, and the expressway noise sucks. Can be swampy.

Not beginner friendly.
Other Thoughts: I played this course for the first time over the summer and did not have a good time. The bugs were terrible, and ultimately got so bad that we abandoned the round, but the real problem was that the layout was very confusing. This could still use some improvement (there aren't any tee signs, only numbers tacked to a tree near the tee, and some of these numbers are wrong anyway), but with the concrete tees in it's fairly obvious where to go next.

A lot of people kill this course because it's easy to lose a disc. I don't really have a problem with that. You never have to go over the water (well other than the creek/drainage ditch)--even on hole 9 you can go around the pond and still have a shot at a three.

I had a lot of fun this time. The length, difficulty and variety remind me of Parma a little bit in that when you're done you feel like you've been on an odyssey. Great job bringing this thing back from the dead.

getting there

2-4    7/21/2012   7/25/2012
Review By: jayman33
This review was updated on 12/29/2012
Pros: - description: recently redesigned course that has water in play on many holes. hole 1 starts by the esl building, with parking around back.
- tees and signs: concrete tees are now in!
- hole designs: great variety. holes next to water, over water left to right and right to left, straight over water, baskets near water. water water and more water. for me, the water doesn't get old, but keeps the pressure on. some reviews have said that the new holes on the back 9 aren't that great, but they're now cleaned up and i think they're far better than the old holes. likewise, the front 9 holes are much improved. for many holes on the front 9, either the baskets are in new locations, holes are lengthened, or tees are moved.
- favorite holes: hole 1 gives you two fairways divided by a column of trees and rocks leading to the basket with a safe path to the left and a go-for-it fairway over water to the right. hole 8 is 257 feet long and has you tee off from under a tree all the way over the pond to the basket on the side of the hill.
- flow: white arrows at nearly every hole.
- difficulty: hard. difficulty comes primarily from risk of disc loss/o.b.
- uniqueness: nothing else like it in rochester, adding to the resume of our local courses.
Cons: - signs: currently no signs
- brush on back 9 off the fairway: i would advise having a spotter on many of these holes. not likely you'll lose a disc, but you'll lose time
- disc loss to water: discs that float are awesome. play conservatively. one friend brought a golf ball retriever which could extend and was useful (better than trying to find a long stick).
Other Thoughts: - again, spotters make rounds go great
- not beginner friendly
- mcc has always been wet in the spring time. Should be playable by June most years.
- new back 9 were extremely overgrown at one point, but grass/plants have now been cut/trimmed
- give mcc a chance! it's getting there

Only play if the weather's been dry for a while

2-4    6/12/2010   7/24/2012
Review By: Skiddy28
Pros: not crowded at all and they have water hazards, that's about it.
Cons: not well kept, confusing layout, plan on loosing a disc, swampy most of the time, very buggy
Other Thoughts: I don't know anyone who has played here and not lost a disk at least once, that's either rolled into the pond or flown into the overgrown foliage lining some of the fairways.