3 Helpful / 5 Not
Only play if the weather's been dry for a while
Pros: not crowded at all and they have water hazards, that's about it.
Cons: not well kept, confusing layout, plan on loosing a disc, swampy most of the time, very buggy
Other Thoughts: I don't know anyone who has played here and not lost a disk at least once, that's either rolled into the pond or flown into the overgrown foliage lining some of the fairways.
3 of 8 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 6 Not
Why come here with so many other quality courses around?
Pros: Not much. There's a bar to drink at when you are finished if I were to say anything positive. I guess it may be an enjoyable course for the seasoned veterans who are sure shots.
Cons: Where to begin? There is way too much water here making it a field day for the bugs. Plus all that water makes for many opportunities for lost discs with no good way to retrieve them. With that said, this is definitely not a course for beginners. The course is right next to the highway so you hear non stop traffic while playing which isn't very relaxing. The tee and hole signage is awful and its tough to find a lot of the next holes. For those of us not from the area, the signs showing you where the course is from the road are non existent as well.
Other Thoughts: Overall this course sucked compared to many of the other great courses in the Rochester area. I would never play this course again, nor would I recommend it to anyone. Someone said this was the new revamped course. I can't imagine how bad it was before.
3 of 9 people found this review helpful.
Massive Fail in the redesign
7 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: The only pro left is the several scenic holes and interesting use of water on the front 9.
The parking issue seems to have been resolved, you can park right at the Bill Gray's Tap room and head upstairs for food or drinks after the round.
I have heard the new tee pads have went in since my review and there has been some clean up of overgrown holes.
Cons: issue with clarity of tees, some had sticks, some had flat black squares on the ground. No tee signs. No course maintenence on the new holes in the back 9.
Back 9 is an embarrassing fail. The improvements to the course ended up creating 4 of the worst holes in Rochester.
13 was knee high weeds and thorns, we used 4 spotters just to make it playable, several people did not want to throw.
14 was even worse with no tee pad and waist high weeds and grass. No one wanted to play the hole. 15 was just a walking path (5 foot wide) "fairway" to a blind basket. once again it was overgrown and nearly unplayable. Hole 16 was a swampy 8 foot wide fairway to complete the most disapointing back 9 I have ever played.
Risk of disc loss on the front 9 is great especially for newer players: hole one has water on the right, hole 2 has a down hill slope that ends at the water, 3 has risk of water after the basket, 4 and 5 have risk of loss in the drainage creek and cat tails, 6 has a very small chance of loss in the trees, 7 had a nasty swamp on the left, 8 was over a lake, 9 has lake on right with significant chance of disc loss.
Holes 5 and 6 had uneven tee areas.
Hole 7 was a swamp.
Hole 10 had roots sticking up at the end of the tee area. 12 was a walking path sized fairway that really needed a spotter.
Other Thoughts: Saying this course is "passable" is generous when I would suggest you skip holes 12-16, nearly 1/3 of the course.
You can play the front 9 twice, but why? There are far superior courses near by. This course was easily a 3 before the redesign, now it is a disappointment.
I do not see my self returning to MCC for a long long time, it is sad that a decent course was ruined.
7 of 9 people found this review helpful.
8 Helpful / 1 Not
Main Water Course in Rochester
Pros: - New parking area (less problems with campus tickets)
- Bill Grays at the beginning and end of the course
- There are good directional signage to make navigation pretty easy
- Several water holes that add extra challenge and as long as they are played carefully disc loss can be prevented
- Holes 1,2,3,6,9,10,11,12, and 17 are nicely designed (9 of 18)
- There is plenty of chances for reward if you are willing to put in the risk
- There is a good variety of shots. There is a mix of anhyzer and hyzer shots as well as some holes that utilize elevation.
- The flow of the course is pretty good. Each tee follows logically from the last basket. When the next tee is not visible from the basket, there are directional arrows to get you there
- There are cement tee pads which not only provide a solid are for driving but also clarify where the tees are
Cons: - There are no actual tee signs that tell you what hole you are on and where the basket is. (I think there might be a plan to signs up in the near future)
- The course could use a more solid bridge for access to hole 1 from the parking lot
- As I mentioned in the pros there are 9 really nice holes. That means there are another 9 not so nice holes. Of the 9 I would say there are 7 ok holes and like 2 ick holes (in my opinion)
- Many of the holes on the back 9 can become overgrown awfully quickly. The Rochester disc golf site does a good job of keeping the holes cut down, but at times it can be pretty scruffy
- The course is not set up so that there is an easy way to just play the front nine or back 9. If you are going to play the course, you just have to play the whole thing.
- course is unplayable from March to July because it is extremely wet
Other Thoughts: There are many holes where water can be a problem especially for beginners so keep that in mind when playing. I am actually beginning to have fun at the course with all the improvements that the Rochester disc golf club has done. Also because of the land the course is almost unplayable wet from March until July. It is probably playable in the winter as long as the snow is not melting. Koodos to all the people putting the extra work into the course. I will revisit this review again when the tee pads are in.
8 of 9 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.