Pinehurst, NC
Village of Pinehurst DGC Share
Uploaded By: chainmonkey Hole #17 (Taken 6/2012)
Hole #17 Short Tee

Rewarding challenge

1    8/17/2014   8/17/2014
Review By: ElevatedBill
Pros: Challenging but rewarding course
Pro/Am boxes
Isolated
Signs point to next hole
Cons: Tough undergrowth
Very very wooded
Lost a good disc (bad throw)
Needs more action to keep vegetation down
Other Thoughts: Hole one is found to the right of holes 9 and 10. One of my favorite courses that I've played. Will definitely return.

Splendid Isolation

1    10/30/2013   10/31/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: I played this course in the middle of a long drive in which I'd carefully budgeted time for three stops along the 52-15-501 corridor. After realizing just how far away from the main road this was, I began checking my watch and wondering if I made the wrong choice.

The last remnants of that doubt had faded by the third hole(12 for me). It was then then that I realized just how much I was going to like this layout. That the isolation that the course provided was worth the drive. That time constraints be damned, I had this whole amazing course to myself.

Pinehurst has that rare quality in which it is challenging without being frustrating for new players. I don't see who this course would not appeal to. Beginners will score abysmally on some holes, but I do think they will still enjoy it. The fairways can be tight, but going off them will likely only hurt the scorecard, and not cause extensive disc searches. Additionally, there's quite a few short holes mixed in to break up what could be soul-breaking stretch of par 4s.

At the same time, the experienced player will love the long tees. He will find real par 4s and ace runs. And he'll be tested to score well on both types.

Though I knew by the third hole that I was a fan, it the stretch from 15 to 17 that made me a believer. I walked up to the embankment and saw the two parallel pads facing opposite directions and I couldn't help but exhale sharply. 15 shoots away from the lake, down a steep decline and through a straight but narrow fairway. 15 is a throw back up to the ledge, where the basket sits adjacent to two teepads. The second teepad is 17 and "carries" over a dry lake. I don't mind that there is very little actual water. It's still not an area I would want to retrieve a disc from so play it as if it was water. It's one of the best runs of short holes that I've experienced.

It's also a great example of how Pinehurst flows. Hole-to-hole here is awesome. Despite not being able to often see a hole from another, the tees are remarkably close to the previous baskets. From tee to fairway to basket to tee, this is just a superlative experience.

Cons: As others have said, this course could use some traffic. There are a few rough edges. There are some patches of long grass in the fairways, as well as a few walking hazards.

There are also a few too many short holes. I like a nice balance, but this teeter-totter is weighted just a bit too much in the direction of short porches.

There is one exception to the great flow and that is between 7 and 8. What would fix this is blocking off the path that leads back to the third tee.

The one addition I would like to see is a sign in the parking lot pointing towards hole 1. It's logical to walk towards 10 and I played the back nine first. Not a big deal, but I prefer to play courses in the proper order.
Other Thoughts: I like a course with identity and this one has it. The forest is pretty unique for someone with my experience, and I quickly learned why the towns in the area have names like Southern Pines and Pinehurst. It's an awesome area and I think more use, a little cleanup and maybe some water in the lake would up this course to a 4.5. The layout for that is there.

Best in area

1    5/31/2013   6/1/2013
Review By: Pbody66
Pros: Can't say i was suprised as I have been reading about the progress of this course for over a year. But the tee's and the signage coupled with the care being put into the course are evident and appreciated.
We came over from Fayetteville and chose to play this course over resevoir.

If you walk over to the left as indicated on the directions just walk a little further to the right of ten and there is hole one. From there the layout and signage make it dang near idiot proof. Loved the distance markers on the ground on the long holes. (Just another example of the care going into the course)

Me and my buddy played a mix of tee's since it was our first time. The pads are great and the distances fair and accurate.

Others have reviewed the holes so I won't go into that.
Cons: Bring some bug spray and watch the fresh cut stumps of the sapplings. Not much else is wrong here. Just needs some good old father time and lots of play.

Wild chicken bone yard plants

1    1/24/2013   1/24/2013
Review By: New013
This review was updated on 8/27/2013
Pros: Layout - Yea the layout is totally bodacious. If I was ranking this course on layout alone it would be a 4 easy style.

Great lines that make you work the disc, the baskets all seemed in just the right place and distance. Multiple routes/options on holes.

Great mixture of hole types and distances. 2 pads; whites look to be good and fun for all players. I played the blues which are challenging but fair and still a ton of fun.

There's a good disc golf terrain out here with some nice elevation changes and fast greens. Really tricky pin locations on some holes that make you be accurate on approach.

Some solid par 4's out there where you have to hit a good placement shot off the tee to have a good look.

Course flows really well, basket to next tee is usually very close.

Atmosphere - Really good spot for disc golf, nice little area with some good looking holes. You get a nice remote feeling when you're out there and it wasn't even close to busy. Nothing else in the park except for disc golf so it's great.

Equipment - New large/level concrete pads for both tees. New baskets. New Tee signs which are great looking and informative.
Cons: Layout - There's a few short holes that kinda boring and don't offer that much of a challenge.

My main gripe with the course is it stays pretty technical the entire way through, a few holes mixed in to really let rip one would break that up.

The water in the pond is still absent, I hope they actually plan to put water in there although some may like the fact you don't lose a disc when you go in.

Equipment - Some of the pads can get very sandy, might be nice for the locals to stick some brooms out there to keep it safe.

Atmosphere - Again a lot of the stuff that got cut is laying around right off the fairway, looks a bit ugly. Still a raw area and needs some traffic to beat it in. There's a pond on the course that is utilized but no water is in it. When they fix it it will look bad arse.
Other Thoughts: My favorite course in this area, when some of the cons I mentioned are fixed this course will be even better and I might bump it up.

I'll say again the layout is top notch, Stan did a good job with this one and kudos to everyone who helped get this in the ground.

UPDATE: The limbing and stick piles I complained about in my initial review have been taken care of, the course looks much better now.

5+    2/16/2013   12/31/2012
Review By: tiger5
This review was updated on 2/17/2013
Pros: UPDATE:
NEW Signage for every hole. Picture includes layout from both tee pads, intended direction of shot, and direction to next tee pad.
FRONT NINE
Hole 1: Slight Dog Leg Right, it's tough because you can't see the basket so it's pretty much a blind tee off, but it's a very doable par 3.
Hole 2: Dog Leg Left, this is another hole where you can't really see the basket and I like that because it forces you to have control and be able to accurately place your shots.
Hole 3: Dog Leg Right, this hole is very deceptive at first glance. again it's a blind tee shot into a guarded basket up a hill. Great use of terrain and just enough elevation to make it fun. You've got to set up a good second shot here in order to make par.
Hole 4: Straight Shot, a few stumps make for small obstacles, the fairway is a little tighter than the first three holes, but it's a doable par 3, possible birdie.
Hole 5: Uphill Shot, pretty similar I think to the distance of hole four, nothing crazy to have to throw around.
Hole 6: Downhill Split, you can go right or left. I think the short tee would be a much easier look on this hole. It's a little tough to get the angle for the right side from the long tee. I'm sure once it gets played more a few of the branches will get knocked down and it'll open up a little. Similar to hole 3 the difficulty factor is higher and accuracy is rewarded.
Hole 7: Dog Leg Left: I'd almost call it a double-dog leg. It's a longer par 3 that really continues to curve left. Seriously doubt anyone's going to ace this one. I'd almost call it a par 4 a least from the long tee's, it tough but not impossible.
Hole 8: Slight Dog Leg Right into an Up and Over, throw over a hill and the basket is at the bottom of the hill. Again a blind shot, it's a doable par 3.
Hole 9: Dog Leg Right, tight alley way but if you can hit it, you can set yourself up for a birdie. Very easy to end up in the wood on this one. It opens up after the tunnel and there are a few trees to throw around.
-These leads you back around to the start, I like that both the front and the back nine start and end pretty much in the same place makes for good course flow and the ability to get in a quick 9 holes.

BACK NINE
Hole 10: Straight Shot with a slight Downhill and Uphill at the end. It's a tight fairway because of the trees, I'm sure in the summer the growth adds a lot of difficulty in terms of visibility.
Hole 11: Probably the shortest hole on the course, a straight shot 200+ ft., should be a pretty easy birdie.
Hole 12: Backwards S-Curve that ends Downhill. This is a great hole another one with added difficulty. Again I'd almost say the pattern of this course is every third hole has some added challenge. Another blind tee off, but if you can set yourself up to the right of the bottleneck of trees you'll have a much easier approach.
Hole 13: Uphill, narrow fairway, the hole is on the left when you get to the top of the hill. Very doable par 3, gotta keep it straight.
Hole 14: Straight Shot with Slight Downhill at the end. You can fade right and still be ok. The trees bottleneck as you get closer to the hole. I don't know why but I enjoyed this shot. It's not particularly difficult but you have to be accurate.
Hole 15: Downhill Curve to the Left. Again every third hole, this is an awesome shot, possibility for an ACE!
Hole 16: Straight Shot over a small hill, and then the basket is uphill. The trees make it a tight alley way. Great design and use of the terrain.
Hole 17: Throw from a hill top, carry the "water" and dog leg hard right at the end. Great hole, I'm sure when the water level is up it's one of those mental mind F's. I'd say 14-17 make for a great finish. I played the loop twice, I liked them so much.
Hole 18: Blind Continuous Curve Left, very similar to hole 7 except you're throwing downhill instead of uphill. And the basket is on a little hill. I'd say 17 is the harder of the two, which messes up my every third hole pattern, but it is a tough shot from the long tee.

Lots of interesting shots on this course. Most of the fairways are pretty open, but control and accuracy are greatly rewarded. I really like that every hole isn't a par 3, gets a little boring when all the holes are the same.
Cons: Signage is up.

This biggest issue is not being able to see the baskets from the tee pads. Obviously, adds to the difficulty of the course, just makes it tough for people who have never played the course. I still gave this course a 4.0, I'd say it's a 4.25 not quite a 4.5 just because the park isn't finished. The work that's gone into this course is EXTREMELY NOTICEABLE.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I'd say this is more of a "pro-level" course compared to those in the area. The design and use of elevation and terrain is awesome. It's certainly one of the better wooded courses I've played. I really like that although it's wooded it's open enough to use a driver.
It's a tough course to score well on. Lots of blind tee shots and good use of elevation especially on the back nine. It's a humbling course compared to the other courses in the area. Some of the fairways are pretty narrow, but from the long tees this is a course that will test your skill level for sure. Accuracy is key

Teepads!

2-4    11/12/2012   11/12/2012
Review By: DustanElliott
This review was updated on 11/19/2012
Pros: An overall great course!

-Teepads! The teepads make a huge difference for this course.
-Variety of shots and fair for lefties.
-Tough (In a good way!)
-Lines... Beautiful Lines!
-Numbered DGA Baskets.
-They now have a parking lot.
-There is a nice big field to practice some drives.
Cons:

-Like most have said some fairways can be rough.
-The Course needs signage. The ribbons on the trees works but it will be much easier to navigate once some signs are put up.
Other Thoughts: This is now my favorite course in the area and I can't wait to play it again!

Great potential

1    8/11/2012   8/12/2012
Review By: Drew.S
Pros: It has the potential to be one of the best courses around. It has terrain and elevation changes that will definitely test you skills. The front 9 is fairly short and mostly straight, with a few hole of 350'. The back 9 is longer and the fairways are kind of tight. Hole 12 is 610' and it definitely challenges your placement skills.
Cons: It could use some tlc, needs more traffic to beat down the bushes. It could use some teepads, but the tees aren't difficult to throw from as is. It could use some markers showing the location of the basket from the tee, and the next tee from the basket. The back 9 is in worse shape than the front. Holes 15 & 16 have alot of debris left in the fairways from cutting the trees down.
Other Thoughts: This course is going to be fantastic once it gets broken in and the signs are put up. It will definitely be a course i play regularly.

Wild indeed

1    8/4/2012   8/10/2012
Review By: Wryen
Pros: There's some fantastic looks on this course highlighting well defined angles, very tight gaps, some length, elevation changes, and even a ceiling or two. All 18 holes will challenge your whole arsenal and demand respect as the rough can be tough and the trees can be mean. (We played the longer flags.)

It navigates pretty easily, with a bit of common sense. I'll elaborate more on this a bit later.

I enjoyed the back most. There's a few longer holes to air out precision shots and utilizing elevation more. 15 and 16 had a nice summer ceiling; 17 over the "pond", 18 to the "cliff edge" pin setting. The whole back rocked actually!

I'll edit my rating to a 4.5 when it gets broken in like Pine Cone Crush, if it gets played. I hope it does.
Cons: It lives up to the wilderness for sure, still needing a lot of traffic and mowing/bush hogging on many holes.

Some tee pads would be nice, but I don't see that happening here for now. Better tee markers and some hole layout's would help a ton in the meantime. The tee flags worked but it was hunting for tape in the woods, followed by checking the lines on many holes. The transfer from 9-10 is slightly less than intuitive, but manageable. A "to 10" (Right facing out from 9, Left facing from THE parking spot) sign would be helpful in the parking lot.

With some of the tight lines, length, and the wild, there's some blind shots. We used a spotter on quite a few holes, but it was our first time there.

The pond on 17 was a puddle! It'll be a nice one if it fills in with some rain.
Other Thoughts: A sign to the parking lot would be extremely helpful, turning onto a dirt road into a seemingly empty field. DGCR has great directions though using the map function :)

New Home Course

5+    6/28/2012   6/30/2012
Review By: Manofcords
Pros: So well laid out! I love it! The 9th brings you back to the "parking area" and you don't get the same play on any whole. The wood are nice, the terrain is great and it is the hardest course I can get to in under a hour. if you have a favorite throw you will get to use if here. I love s curving flicks and I get to use them at least twice with heart breakingly good effect. Its always nice to have one or two holes made just for you and it seems like this course has a couple for everyone.
Cons: TICKS,TICKS,TICKS!! This course just became a 18 holer about two weeks ago and doesnt get a lot of play because of its location and the locals dont like seeing how bad they really are when they leave Pine Cone Crush. The fairways are rough with lots of stumps sending up shoots and dead fall from all the trees that are still standing.
The course is owned by the Village of Pinehurst and is located on what will one day be a sports complex but that is many years off I am sure and therefore it doesnt get any love from town workers. The ticks are bad. 40% Deet doesnt touch them. The Best thing I have have come up with is two table spoons veggie oil, one table spoon aloe, and 28 drops of lavender oil all mixed together. Ticks hate lavender and the aloe makes it hard for them to move and the oil keeps it all on you. To be honest my buddies wife found that for us. Also POISON IVY/OAK big time. If you dont know what this stuff looks like make sure you check it out online or play with someone who knows because it is everywhere. On 13 you have to hop through a field of the crap.
Other Thoughts: The course needs love, big time, but you can just see what a great place it will be in the end. It needs bushhog and some herbicides to get ride of the undergrowth on the fairways and the poison ivy/oak respectively but I cant stay away because I know the first I shoot under par will be like the first time I... uh, well, nevermind

A Pleasure to Tame

1    5/21/2012   5/21/2012
Review By: BrotherDave
This review was updated on 3/15/2013
Pros: UPDATE: I was prophetic when I rated this 9er a 4. As an 18, it is definitely that, no worse than a 3.5 at least. Excellent variety of hole shapes, extremely well placed and poured concrete tees, good use of elevation, and the back 9 is some great golf. This course offers a little for everyone except maybe a challenge for elite players but they can't have fun here then they might be Russian or something. The course still flows very well.

These are nice woods. Not Appalachian Trail pretty but still, pretty nice stroll.
Cons: Well, it's new so there is still some rough rough and nature is trying to reclaim the fairways in spots. Patches of briers exist here and there and a freaking horsefly accompanied my head practically the entire round. A couple of holes were a little tricky trying to discern which way the fairway went but not too bad.

^A lot of this should be greatly alleviated with traffic which, with the quality of this course is all but assured to come.

This park is super new, there is nothing else here but 9 quality holes and a port-a-john. Don't bring family members. For some reason, the parking lot is cordoned away from hole 1 and hole 10 is actually the first hole you'd naturally walk too. No biggie.

Other Thoughts: The guys working on this course did a bang up job. As far as design goes, they receive very high marks. There's not much that can be improved upon outside some additional multi-shot placement holes (obvious par 4's and 5's) to make it more of a gold level/championship caliber course, not that it really needs it. With some underbrush smoothed out and amenities like benches and other finishing touches like that, this course could easily be rated higher without much ballyhoo.

I wish there was a course or two as good as this one in the immediate area, it would make it a nice little weekender to drive too on the regular.

Fave holes: Hole 15 you just want to empty your bag on, super fun downhill ace run. Hole 10 is a very nice hole too.