Red Wing, MN
Memorial Park Share
Uploaded By: Peach   (Taken 3/2010)
Course Sign

The course that started it all

5+    7/3/2012   7/25/2012
Review By: dopyelf
Pros: The views of Red Wing are spectacular. Nice baskets. The course is never really that busy unless there is a mountain bike race, then it turns into a parking lot.
Cons: The natural tee pads and lack of variety of shots on the course. The city won't allow any expansion into the woods but there is definitely enough room.
Other Thoughts: Definitely worth checking it out if you happen to be in the area.

Prairie style disc golf

1    6/27/2011   6/28/2011
Review By: mstephens627
Pros: Gorgeous views of Red Wing and beyond

Very well maintained fairways and grass

Well marked signage of each hole including distances and a diagrammatic map with the tees, pin, and hazards such as trees

Some elevation challenges, but there could be more dogleg or wooded holes
Cons: Windy conditions can take away from one's game

Tall grasses around every fairway can make errant disc searching frustrating, so I would recommend just never taking you're eye off where it lands.

Well worn dirt tees have become hazardous craters. I nearly tripped on the follow through on the second tee.
Other Thoughts: This was my first time playing at this course. It certainly plays up the highlights and challenges of the bluff lands of Red Wing while providing gorgeous views of the surrounding area as an amenity. The course is well laid out for its site but lacks diversity. Most holes play the same, that is throwing down a narrow mowed strip of open fairway to the basket with the occasional tree. If you want to work on playing in the wind, have a leisure round for fun, or just work on your game this course will do the job.

Better than I thought

2-4    7/27/2008   7/27/2008
Review By: johnt1969
This review was updated on 8/18/2008
Pros: This course is better than I thought it would be. It will definitely challange your putting. Every time I went while I was in town it was crazy windy. The course is short but the holes are fun and present some challange because there is some elevation change. The design is decent for being in such a tight space. There are really good tee signs at this course as well. I also think I remember there being 2 sets of tees on some of the holes.

The course was never busy when I was there so it would be a good place to play some safari golf too.
Cons: I'm just being picky with these... The course mostly short and does not require you to throw a multitude of different types of shots. The other general bad thing about this course is that it's in a multi use park. There wasn't anyone else using it when I was there because it was cold outside but it looked like it could get a bit crowded with picnicers.
Other Thoughts: This is the only decent course in Red Wing. The other course isn't worth the drive, in my opinion.

A comment regarding my evaluation of courses. I am not trying to insult or hurt any ones feelings when I review a course. I'm just trying to evaluate the course on what I feel are important characteristics of a good course. Disc golf has become a large enough sport that I feel we should strive for better than we have now. Just putting 18 holes in a park isn't enough. 18 pole holes does not make a disc golf course. It requires tee's, signs, maps, solid course design and constant maintenance. Any less than that and we will never advance the sport to a reputable level.