Pickerington, OH
Sycamore Creek Church Share
Uploaded By: jcf5083 Hole #5 (Taken 11/2011)

1 2 Next >
 I'll play it again

1    1/18/2012   1/20/2012
Review By: culinarywiz
Pros: This course may be relatively short and simple but it has some variety.

There are plenty of open holes. A couple of those open holes have nice distance. Don't leave your drivers at home 'cause you will need a couple distance drives. 7 & 13 are both bomb shots of 400+ft. Just a note though, 13 claims to be 510ft. I find this embellished a bit. It seemed more like 450 at most.

A few of the technical holes were quite nice. 3 has an elevated tee tossing to a sharp hooked pin. 5 was one of my favorites. It has you shooting a 250+ft. shot over a little creek to a tucked pin. 9 also has some style. Its a short hole but you need to lay-up through some brush to make a deuce. To mention one more, 15 was a nice little run to a guarded pin.

It's nice to have another 18 holer in town.
Cons: I found myself multiple times, through the round, double checking to make sure I am aiming at the right pin. Hole 3 is understandable. It shows (and identifies, more specifically) hole 7 which is in view. Then you move to hole 4 and there are again 2 pins in view and the sign shows a minor dog leg. Since the tee's are natural and multi-directional, it was dicey. Same with holes 7 and 12.

I know it's been said repeatedly, but the mud is truly a concern. I think it's harsh to judge a course poorly for this because it is simply a product of the land available and the recent weather. However, you should avoid this course when its wet. The natural tee's and many of the fairways will suck you in.
Other Thoughts: This was a reasonable effort.

Certainly, this course is worth playing. It has just enough diversity to make it interesting. You will use everything from distance drivers to putters off the tee (although it is definitely a short course). You will need to thread a couple tight lines. You will have plenty of room to hyzer yet there are a couple hard anny's mixed in.

Take this course for what it is...a recreational course. This course is not meant to hone your PDGA skills. It is meant to provide an opportunity to get away from your TV and your social media and get some time in with nature.

Peace.

Good For Family Discin'

2-4    6/8/2013   1/8/2012
Review By: A.Mutt
This review was updated on 6/21/2013
Pros: + Now a full 18 holes

+ The kind of course that would rarely be crowded.

+ A reasonable variety of shots, both distance and lines.
Cons: - Confusing layout with no course map available

- Poorly defined natural tees, if defined at all.
**********Many holes have their tee areas dug out and framed to pour concrete tee pads in the near future*****************************************

- Not very challenging to the average competitive player.

- Many forgettable holes
Other Thoughts: This is the kind of course that would be perfect to bring the family, or new players, to. If you're looking for a challenging/competitive experience you'll be much better served by going to the nearby Simsbury DGC.

I never did get over to this course when it was only 9 holes. As far as I can tell the previous layout was still somewhat evident and made following the flow of the course confusing. At multiple points, we had trouble figuring out which basket we should be shooting at. On one hole we figured out after that fact that we played to the wrong basket. What bugged me more than that though were the poorly defined tees. We could not tell where the front of the teebox was supposed to be on pretty much all holes so we agreed to use the sign posts as the mark for the front of the box. On top of that the natural tees were often pretty rutted and I can see how on a soggy/muddy days teeing off would become miserable

The good points of this course are few but there. There are 18 holes to play for free, and the odds that you would go there and it would be crowded seems like it would be slim to none. There are shots that vary from under 200' to over 400' and that finish left, right, and straight. However that variety ends up feeling fairly stale by the end and many of the 200' and under holes were very forgettable. The land itself appears to be able to host a more challenging layout, yet the woods get under utilized in my opinion and there are a few ponds that I wish really came into play.

Overall the course seems to not live up to its potential. If you live in Pickerington I can see frequenting there for casual and solitary rounds. But unfortunately not worth much of a drive to get there.

Not Sure I Like The New Layout

2-4    11/26/2011   12/21/2011
Review By: jcf5083
Pros: -Kept most of the good holes from the 9 hole layout and built on it.

-A couple nice ace runs make your round more exciting.

-Large variety of hole distances, from 155'-510'.

-Water comes into play

-Some wooded holes as well as open bombs.
Cons: -As stated before, mud becomes a very large issue on the lower elevated holes.

-A few holes that seem like they do not need to be there, like hole 8

-After playing the first wood hole, I got very excited because I saw a lot of potential in the woods. But there was only one other wooded hole. I thought that certain holes could get pulled and there could be a few more wooded holes.

-No bathrooms or water fountains/vending machines
Other Thoughts: I thought that the design was a little bit off on the new 9 holes. I think I enjoyed the old layout better.

Work In Progress

1    12/1/2011   12/5/2011
Review By: ryankh87
Pros: A few challenging holes.
Good beginner course
New Baskets
Well built bridges over creeks
Cons: Semi-confusing first time out
Couldn't find 16's basket (hope it wasn't stolen), and by extension missed throwing on 17.
Sign for hole 5 from what I assume was the original 9 layout added to confusion.
Ambiguous tee areas
Other Thoughts: It is always appreciated when anyone installs a course and opens it to the public. If I had any suggestions for this course it would be to set up some tee pads even with a couple of 2x4's in the ground. I would also color code some of the holes where baskets are very close together to avoid some of the confusion. It has been said before that if you have some time to kill it is a decent play, which it is, but if it has been raining the mud gets pretty crazy.

A little more to Sycamore

1    12/3/2011   12/4/2011
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: New Holes
Family Friendly
Not Difficult
Good mix of wooded to open
Decent elevation changes
Taken care of
Nice signs
Cons: Can get muddy
Can be a little problem navigating some of the newer holes but it's well posted so eventually you figure out where your going
Not for advanced players
Other Thoughts: I love the new holes and I love the new layout. I thought it was cool how they set up the new stuff to weave in and out of the old stuff. It's great to have another 18 hole course around.

The new course starts out with the same original first 4 holes as the old course. Then you break off with a few new wooded one then out again into a big open field. Some times I got a little confused at this point of the course your in a pretty big open field with several baskets in site. Everything is well marked though so you figure it out quick enough. Then you finish up with the final 3 holes from the old course. I really like the changes

Even though the threw in a few 400-500 footers this course is still very much a family course and a beginner course. I would say it is still less challenging then Blendon. If I were to compare it with another local course I would say it's very similar to Sunbury in both distance and skill level. If your an experienced player looking for a challenge I would skip this one.

Even though I said it wasn't challenging, that doesn't mean it's not fun. So hit it up. It's a good time. Good job guys

great day today

5+    12/3/2011   12/3/2011
Review By: valiant
Pros: New baskets. Good use of the land. Good variety of holes and shots. No crowds.
Cons: Muddy. A few holes hard to figure out the flow pattern to connect the next hole. The signs are not all exact on their maps.
Other Thoughts: After the new holes have a chance to regrow next year, my review score will go up.

Nice new 18

1    11/24/2011   11/24/2011
Review By: All Day
This review was updated on 11/26/2011
Pros: Good balance of left to right, right to left, wooded, and wide open.

Fairly well maintained, and newly added 9 holes make this a whole new course, obviously.

Not very busy, but that could change once everyone realizes this is 18 now.
Cons: Gravel or dirt tees get muddy and slick. If you're not careful on some holes, you could pull something.

A bit of confusion on some baskets--could definitely benefit from numbered baskets. Some old tee numbers still remain as of now, two posts showing hole 5, etc.

Beer cans and trash in several areas despite trash cans.

Drainage is a problem so leave your white shoes at the house.
Other Thoughts: Breath of fresh air after recent addition of 9 holes. Several aceable holes, and some will challenge good amateurs. Pros won't fall in love with this one compared to 18 hole at Simsbury Park in Pickerington, but overall fun course. Several "Blendon-like" wooded holes were added, which gives this course a little bit of everything, even if it is a bit short.

1 2 Next >