Jacksonville, FL
-- / --   3 / 250ft.   3 / 345ft. Par / Distance:

I'm a fan

5+    9/8/2014   9/27/2014
Review By: FoxxKaleo
Pros: Convenient to downtown Jax and surrounded by beautiful historic homes with a distant view of the big city. Long and short holes with a multiple tees for most holes. Good variety of open shots and shots with big oaks and smaller trees making you think. Weekly doubles tournaments on Thursday evenings.
Cons: Some holes soggy after severe rains. Gang grafitti reminds you this is not always the safest area. You can't pay me to get in that water.
Other Thoughts: The pros definitely outweigh the cons. This park is dog friendly and you will always find someone else using the park for picnics, baseball, basketball, fishing (not recommended), and especially disc golf.

Nice course

1    7/1/2014   7/1/2014
Review By: Anthoney
Pros: Easy to read signs. Well maintained. Basket are in good condition. Great for beginners like myself.
Cons: A lot of short, straight holes. Might not be a bad thing, but for more skilled players, you might get bored. It's not in the best area, and bad smells show up on a few holes, but it's still a nice looking park.
Other Thoughts: There's a few spots I was nervous about losing my disc. There's a huge drainage line that if you throw it in, it's probably staying there. You could go get it, but is rather suck it up as a loss.

Also, my rating might be slightly biased since I got my first ever ace on hole 6. I've only been playing for a month and shot even, so that's how you can tell how easy this course.

Good information

1    2/28/2014   3/19/2014
Review By: JaShallan
Pros: Good layout with pretty clear layout and directions
Pin signs give very interesting background information
Cons: Very open course (almost like an old golf course)
A little hard to find the entrance
Other Thoughts: My wife and I played the course, and while it's true that there was evidence of a homeless population, we were not approached or accosted. Also, you can tell that the area is getting way better (and used to be incredible)

Well

1    9/17/2013   9/18/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: The equipment here is really impressive given the location. The signs are fantastic. Very descriptive and shiny. The baskets were in good condition. Somehow, they were the only things in the park that were not vandalized. There is a big sign that describes the layout near hole one and its also top notch. The holes mostly have two tees. Only one of them has a sign and if you play all the signed holes, that's the standard or intermediate layout.

The extra tee is located by a nice looking post with the hole umber only, instead of the full fairway map. Some of the extra tees offer a more advanced shot. Others provide an easy shot for beginners.

The holes themselves are decent, probably a 2.5 quality course judging by the holes themselves. There isn't a lot of length, or difficulty, or technicality. Most are straight shots. between 200 and 300 feet, with a smattering of trees. But they're decent. And if it's typically as windy as it was when I was there, it will be tough to birdie often.

It's really a nice layout considering the park space and I had a quick, fun round, just off the highway and then I was on my way.
Cons: But I could see people not having fun. If:

1. You throw RHBH and have an aversion to bacteria-laden water. It wasn't an issue for me, I throw mostly forehand and the canal was always to the left of the fairway. If i did throw a disk in there, I wouldn't touch it again without sterilizing it. And I definitely wouldn't put my retriever near that water. I like throwing over water, but I'm snobbish about it. I like throwing near pretty water only.

2. You are playing it when people are using any of the other park facilities. (if that happens.) the first few holes throw across baseball and soccer fields, and a later hole will have you throwing right at a basketball court.

3. You don't like throwing near people. There will inevitably be some people hanging out in the park who may be averse to "heads up." I skipped seventeen because someone was sleeping on the tee. Other than that I was lucky but multiple times I was luck that resting places were just out of the danger zone.

4. You are a tee purist. Several of them here are painted lines on existing sidewalks or asphalt.
Other Thoughts: It's great that there's a course here and it may introduce some people to the sport, being walking distance from a ton of residences. I'm sure it's fine for the locals but I wouldn't stop again. Why? Ed Austin is just nine miles away.

Solid & fun course

5+    8/18/2013   8/20/2013
Review By: John P
Pros: - Central location in the city.

- Good signage

- New baskets

- In a cool, funky, hipster neighborhood with character

- A full 18 holes

- Nice course layout. No head scratchers.

- Usually pretty well maintained

- Good beginner to intermediate course
Cons: - Two holes have you going underneath small overpasses. They sometimes smell bad from bums, but you can simply walk another way to get to the next hole.

- More trash cans along the way would be nice.

- Not very challenging for advanced players

- Creek that form a border to the park is a little dirty
Other Thoughts: It's neat to have a disc golf course located in a city park so close to Downtown like this. The neighborhood is called the Springfield historic district and it's a (obviously) historic district in the midst of gentrification. It has a nice look to it with friendly people, but you'll still see some vacant houses and bums here and there. The course seems to be well laid out and it's not hard to follow. The creek to the SxSW needs to be cleaned out as it's pretty dirty all the time and I wouldn't wade in there to rescue a disc, but the park itself is kept reasonably nice. Sometimes people will bring their dogs out or be playing a baseball game, but the course avoids most of that. All in all a solidly good course in a central location with unique scenery. I play it a couple times a months, sometimes with my girlfriend. There's more information about the area at www.myspringfield.org

Bad Day on Boulevard

1    5/25/2013   5/29/2013
Review By: brspiritus
Pros: - Nice Open Course with few trees to contend with
- Easy to get to and has a decent number of parking spaces
- Nice new Innova Discatchers
- Historic part of Springfield with beautiful homes along the road
Cons: - 2 Tunnels with trash from use by homeless and human waste
- Course runs along Hogans Creek which is constantly littered with garbage and the water quality is abysmal. This creek comes into play on several holes and will eat your disc if you're not careful
- Soggy ground on some holes
Other Thoughts: I loved the area but was disappointed with the garbage in the stream and the homeless sleeping under the bridge. My wife went with me and she is just starting out so has control issues which led to two lost discs this day, both in the creek. I'm not fishing them out of the noisome water and just scratched them up to a loss. Other than that I played a good game but the unpredictable wind that day made for some squirrelly throws. My wife is traumatized (lol) however and refuses to return to this course.

Love this course!

5+    4/6/2013   4/9/2013
Review By: manntar
Pros: 1. It's got a practice basket. Some parks neglect this and it leaves me baffled.

2. It's well marked and has a nice signs at each pad giving you a little history about the park.

3. It's got a nice and easy layout. Making it perfect for first timers. It also has some nice intermediate tees that offer a bit more of a challenge.

4. The grass is always trim and proper.

5. The tee pads are concrete.

All in all it's just a great course. I would like to see a tournament out there sometime soon.
Cons: 1. The water hazard has dangerous bacteria signs. There was a lot of garbage in the water also but it looks like someone has come along and cleaned that out recently. Thanks.

2. Walking under the overpasses can be a bit strange with the people that inhabit them. Also there have been some strange findings.

3. No usable bathrooms.
Other Thoughts: As I have said, I really enjoy this course and am happy to see something help revitalize an area of downtown. It's got and awesome backdrop with all of the buildings and historic homes. If you can look past a bit of rubbish, this is a great course to play. Cheers!

Downtown View.

5+    3/12/2013   3/12/2013
Review By: Mld26
Pros: This course is in a historic part of Jacksonville, it is a cool back drop to play disc golf, the course has good hole variance Left to Right, long and short. I like walking through the history.The course itself is always in good condition.Never Crowded.
Cons: The course is sometimes trashy, the river is polluted. The course is a pain to get to on the weekends as some of the bridges close.
Other Thoughts: This course is a nice alternative to the home course.

Needs a little Love

1    1/11/2013   2/5/2013
Review By: Rossome
Pros: Above average course for being "downtown", but it loses points for "funky energy" and trashy. Location is very interesting in one of Jacksonville's historic districts. Every tee sign included info from the historic society which enhanced my appreciation and knowledge of the city's past. The tees were mostly good and signage excellent.
Cons: I wouldn't have spent time in this park if there wasn't a course to be played there. The canal was polluted, there was trash in many places, and two of the underpass tunnels leading to holes were fouled by urine, trash, and who knows what else!
Other Thoughts: The sun was shining and winds light. The grass was green and mowed, the layout fun and somewhat challenging, but I didn't really enjoy being in that park. What a grand place that part of town USED to be! But it needs some TLC before I would play the course again.

Historic Springfield

5+    1/11/2013   1/13/2013
Review By: Springfield DG
Pros: Offers a variety of holes/baskets that provide the player some technical shots as well as some distance shots that allow you to run up and chuck it. Klutho Park is one of the oldest parks in the city with a ton of history. Hogans Creek, that comes into play on several holes, is a man made creek that was used in the early 1900's for gondola races (among other things).
Cons: No restrooms and only one spot on the course to get any drinking water (from a water fountain near the tennis courts, hole 14).
Other Thoughts: The (longer) yellow tees were put in after the initial blue tees and are not currently as well marked as the shorter blue tees. That is where this course can be improved.