Jacksonville, FL
Springfield DGC Share
Uploaded By: Zach-R. Hole #3 (Taken 12/2011)
-- / --   -- / --   3 / 221ft.   3 / 318ft. Par / Distance:

Bad Day on Boulevard

1    5/25/2013   5/29/2013
Review By: brspiritus
Pros: - Nice Open Course with few trees to contend with
- Easy to get to and has a decent number of parking spaces
- Nice new Innova Discatchers
- Historic part of Springfield with beautiful homes along the road
Cons: - 2 Tunnels with trash from use by homeless and human waste
- Course runs along Hogans Creek which is constantly littered with garbage and the water quality is abysmal. This creek comes into play on several holes and will eat your disc if you're not careful
- Soggy ground on some holes
Other Thoughts: I loved the area but was disappointed with the garbage in the stream and the homeless sleeping under the bridge. My wife went with me and she is just starting out so has control issues which led to two lost discs this day, both in the creek. I'm not fishing them out of the noisome water and just scratched them up to a loss. Other than that I played a good game but the unpredictable wind that day made for some squirrelly throws. My wife is traumatized (lol) however and refuses to return to this course.

I'm going DOWNTOWN

1    2/12/2012   2/26/2012
Pros: 1) This is a very beginner friendly course because it is on completely mowed turf. You cannot lose a disc here unless you end up throwing it in the river to the side of a couple fairways, but even there it is retrievable.

2) There must have recently been a river cleanout because there were hundreds of plastic garbage bags filled with trash and multiple shopping carts out in the road. Obviously this is a park that people care about or this wouldn't take place. It is also just 1 minute from the middle of downtown Jacksonville so it is an image issue for the city I am sure.

3) Tees are concrete and sometimes on exisiting sidewalks where they will mark the actual tee area.

4) Practice basket and a sign by #1 for the park.

5) Nice new discatcher baskets are in great shape and installed properly.

6) I love it when old parks leave the old concrete structures and landscape pieces in place. Here there is what I would assume is a 100 year old curved concrete wall. Sure it has shifted over time and is settling in some areas and cracked, but it is a really interested and historic piece of the landscape. It looks like it onetime framed a concert area or something like that. These small things make parks and disc golf courses attractive. I also like the pavilion building near Hole #4 or 5. That is old and a unique piece of history so it is cool they worked around it.

7) Signs have Par, distance, hole # and sponsors along with a general hole map.

8) There were also some benches and garbage cans in a few spots around the course, more intended for park users and people along the sidewalk but nothing says we can't use them too.

9) An odd feature which I thought was cool is it appears you are walking through a large area of mint groundcover because as I walked through the lawns I kept smelling mint. I thought it was all clover but there apparently was also some mint. Not really a pro I guess but something interesting.

10) I think there was a restroom in the building on the front 9 somewhere but I did not check it to see if it was usable.
Cons: 1) I know I was not in the nicest neighborhood but I was comforted by the fact that the entire park area was framed with 100 year old decent homes. Plenty of people to witness anything that might happen to me.

2) This is a very disjointed course because you play through like 4 different areas of the riverside park. You have to walk under two overpasses and across a couple roads during the round.

3) The lawn in the park could definitely use a mow . . . the clover, mint, and cool season turf is growing still while the warm season turf is still dormant. I am not sure how frequently they mow, but to me this area could see some mowing right now.

4) This is a completely flat course as is standard in Florida. Maybe a few elevated or unique basket locations could have altered the flatness of the ground just enough to have some interest.

5) In general these holes do not have enough obstacles or much interest.

6) Distance variation is only
moderate. There are no really long holes and definitely no par 4's here.

7) Obstacles are few and far
between in my view. They didn't have a ton of trees to use, but at least they did get into a couple of areas that created a tighter type shot.
Other Thoughts: This was not a terrible course at all but it was not the most challenging or interesting and it is located in a slightly poor neighborhood. It felt a lot like Dineen Park in Milwaukee. Not a place I would go to regularly but a good place to warmup for the day. There are not any real unique holes and most holes are just laid out right in front of you to try and execute the shot. I was happy to be on my way to league at Ed Austin Park and later to be playing Ronnie Van Zant Memorial, because this would not have satisfied my disc golf needs for the day.