Jacksonville, FL
Springfield DGC Share
Uploaded By: Zach-R. Hole #8 (Taken 12/2011)
-- / --   3 / 275ft.   3 / 310ft. Par / Distance:

3 eyed fish and some nasty obstacles

5+    3/14/2015   8/8/2015
Review By: PumaPaws
Pros: Mostly wide open
Will require you to make some interesting shots.
Various obstacles to can hurt. Low hanging branches, cement buildings are a few that you will encounter.
Beginner friendly
If you can throw shots that can curve left AND right, you will do well.
Not a long course.

Cons: Do not throw your disc into the canal!!! If you do, kiss it goodbye!
The very grungy canal on the left side of several fairways is not pleasant. Many signs to warn you not to enter it.
Some unpleasant smells from time to time.
Not the best area but I've never had any trouble here!
Parking can be difficult if course is busy.
Other Thoughts: In this area, I would probably go to Ed Austin park for a disc golf game, over this course. However, for variety, I have enjoyed playing here several times. You can shoot a good score if you stay under control and can make a variety of shots. DO not need any water discs such as Dragons. If you disc hits the water (the canal) it's a goner.

Nice course for everyone

1    4/6/2015   4/11/2015
Review By: RFrance
Pros: This course is easy to navigate and beginner friendly with mostly wide open holes. They make nice use of a long narrow park in a historic district. I was able to par most holes but there are some challenges. I was up in Jacksonville for a business meeting and played with three colleagues, each with 3 to 6 months experience, and they were able to play well and have a good time. Some of the trees were just coming into foliage and next month will be more guardian around a couple of the baskets. There are one or two tunnel type shots as you have to thread through lines of trees.
Cons: A couple of homeless but harmless living under the bridge but they kept to themselves. The creek does come into play so carry some sort of disc retriever. The creek has a reputation as "toxic" but it is just a creek in old town Jacksonville. If your disc goes in just retrieve and wash off. It's no worse the dog pooh hidden in the grass close to the bark park at my local course.
Other Thoughts: We played just after work on a Monday and pretty much had the place to our selves. There were a few more playing as we were finishing up. I'm looking forward to playing again when I'm back up in Jacksonville. Overall fun time

I'm a fan

5+    9/8/2014   9/27/2014
Review By: FoxxKaleo
Pros: Convenient to downtown Jax and surrounded by beautiful historic homes with a distant view of the big city. Long and short holes with a multiple tees for most holes. Good variety of open shots and shots with big oaks and smaller trees making you think. Weekly doubles tournaments on Thursday evenings.
Cons: Some holes soggy after severe rains. Gang grafitti reminds you this is not always the safest area. You can't pay me to get in that water.
Other Thoughts: The pros definitely outweigh the cons. This park is dog friendly and you will always find someone else using the park for picnics, baseball, basketball, fishing (not recommended), and especially disc golf.

Good information

1    2/28/2014   3/19/2014
Review By: JaShallan
Pros: Good layout with pretty clear layout and directions
Pin signs give very interesting background information
Cons: Very open course (almost like an old golf course)
A little hard to find the entrance
Other Thoughts: My wife and I played the course, and while it's true that there was evidence of a homeless population, we were not approached or accosted. Also, you can tell that the area is getting way better (and used to be incredible)

Good, but not Great

5+    10/14/2012   10/15/2012
Review By: Bababooey
This review was updated on 10/18/2012
Pros: * Nice layout (easy to find next tee) and use of land.

* Multiple tees and/or baskets on many holes.

* Course sign with map and rules

* Hole signs with map, par, distance, and historic fact.

* Concrete tees.

* Great baskets

* Practice basket

* Plenty of shade trees.

* Lots of birds (might be a con if you don't like birds).

* Park grounds well maintained.

* Water fountain near hole #14 (tennis courts)

* Not many spiders or mosquitoes (surprising due to vicinity of the water).
Cons: * The water in the creek is toxic (according to multiple warning signs).

* No bathrooms (the underpasses aren't bathrooms).

* Limited variation of holes; mostly open field.

* Always seems muddy / mushy around hole #7, #8, and #9.
Other Thoughts: This course is good, but not great.

None of the holes are bizarre, which makes this a nice course for beginners (its my first course). The lack of variation can give some players a sense of deju vu (glitch in the matrix!), but I enjoy being able to practice different shots for fun instead of necessity (and not worrying about trees).

Please do not allow the urban environment to come between you and a nice city course. I play this course at least once a week. I often play alone or with just my wife, and I have never been bothered by the locals or felt unsafe.

Bottom line: Springfield DGC isn't as diverse and challenging as Fore Palms DGC (at Ed Austin Park), but it is a good, fun course.

Links Disc Golf

2-4    4/22/2012   4/22/2012
Review By: atl scott
Pros: Great signage
Fun layout
New Discatcher Pros!
Not sandy and no palmettos (like most FL disc golf courses have)
Well designed for the property
Well thought out multiple tees
Cons: Too much interaction with the "city" (aka homeless people and their sleeping areas)
No elevation (but that's FL golf, right?)
Underpasses with a very shady vibe
Other Thoughts: I really had a great time playing this course. I was pleasantly surprised with the level of design and use of the available land. There were multiple pads on every hole (2 on every hole and 3 on several holes).

The course is in the city and provides nice views of Jacksonville while also running along a canal. It is a nice mix of ease of access being in the city and good disc golf challenge.

It is a relatively easy course (we played the blue pads and I shot a 46 my first round) but it isn't completely wide open. There are several ace runs and several birdie holes but a few of the holes are long and open to encourage you to work on your distance game. Enough of the holes require accuracy to keep things interesting.

The course is a links style course where the front 9 plays linearly out away from the parking lot and the back 9 plays back in. You get pretty far away before coming back. It had a different feel that was a pleasant experience. There is a definite aura of being in the city with people walking through the course and at times I wondered if the car was ok. There was a guy playing football with his young son in an adjacent field and I asked him if our car was safe and he looked at me like I was crazy and responded "of course it's perfectly safe here" which made me much more comfortable.

The feeling I walked away with after playing the course (twice) was that I really couldn't have done any better designing a course with the land provided. The holes were challenging and fair and the fun factor was high. The water doesn't really come into play but it will restrict your shot selection a few times to insure you don't lose a disc.

The only real negative to the course was the fact that you are supposed to walk under 2 underpasses that are clearly living areas for homeless people. I lived in downtown Atlanta for 4 years and don't mind homeless people but walking under those bridges made me feel uncomfortable. The good news is you can walk just a little bit further (about twice as far in between holes) to go around and completely skip the urine soaked underpasses.

I am in Jacksonville for a couple of months and fully expect to play this course as much as possible. 3 stars to the designer!