Jacksonville, FL
Springfield DGC Share
Uploaded By: Wesdrummer Hole #5 (Taken 1/2012)
-- / --   -- / --   3 / 250ft.   3 / 345ft. Par / Distance:

1 2 Next >
 Good, but not Great

5+    10/14/2012   10/15/2012
Review By: Bababooey
This review was updated on 10/18/2012
Pros: * Nice layout (easy to find next tee) and use of land.

* Multiple tees and/or baskets on many holes.

* Course sign with map and rules

* Hole signs with map, par, distance, and historic fact.

* Concrete tees.

* Great baskets

* Practice basket

* Plenty of shade trees.

* Lots of birds (might be a con if you don't like birds).

* Park grounds well maintained.

* Water fountain near hole #14 (tennis courts)

* Not many spiders or mosquitoes (surprising due to vicinity of the water).
Cons: * The water in the creek is toxic (according to multiple warning signs).

* No bathrooms (the underpasses aren't bathrooms).

* Limited variation of holes; mostly open field.

* Always seems muddy / mushy around hole #7, #8, and #9.
Other Thoughts: This course is good, but not great.

None of the holes are bizarre, which makes this a nice course for beginners (its my first course). The lack of variation can give some players a sense of deju vu (glitch in the matrix!), but I enjoy being able to practice different shots for fun instead of necessity (and not worrying about trees).

Please do not allow the urban environment to come between you and a nice city course. I play this course at least once a week. I often play alone or with just my wife, and I have never been bothered by the locals or felt unsafe.

Bottom line: Springfield DGC isn't as diverse and challenging as Fore Palms DGC (at Ed Austin Park), but it is a good, fun course.

Links Disc Golf

2-4    4/22/2012   4/22/2012
Review By: atl scott
Pros: Great signage
Fun layout
New Discatcher Pros!
Not sandy and no palmettos (like most FL disc golf courses have)
Well designed for the property
Well thought out multiple tees
Cons: Too much interaction with the "city" (aka homeless people and their sleeping areas)
No elevation (but that's FL golf, right?)
Underpasses with a very shady vibe
Other Thoughts: I really had a great time playing this course. I was pleasantly surprised with the level of design and use of the available land. There were multiple pads on every hole (2 on every hole and 3 on several holes).

The course is in the city and provides nice views of Jacksonville while also running along a canal. It is a nice mix of ease of access being in the city and good disc golf challenge.

It is a relatively easy course (we played the blue pads and I shot a 46 my first round) but it isn't completely wide open. There are several ace runs and several birdie holes but a few of the holes are long and open to encourage you to work on your distance game. Enough of the holes require accuracy to keep things interesting.

The course is a links style course where the front 9 plays linearly out away from the parking lot and the back 9 plays back in. You get pretty far away before coming back. It had a different feel that was a pleasant experience. There is a definite aura of being in the city with people walking through the course and at times I wondered if the car was ok. There was a guy playing football with his young son in an adjacent field and I asked him if our car was safe and he looked at me like I was crazy and responded "of course it's perfectly safe here" which made me much more comfortable.

The feeling I walked away with after playing the course (twice) was that I really couldn't have done any better designing a course with the land provided. The holes were challenging and fair and the fun factor was high. The water doesn't really come into play but it will restrict your shot selection a few times to insure you don't lose a disc.

The only real negative to the course was the fact that you are supposed to walk under 2 underpasses that are clearly living areas for homeless people. I lived in downtown Atlanta for 4 years and don't mind homeless people but walking under those bridges made me feel uncomfortable. The good news is you can walk just a little bit further (about twice as far in between holes) to go around and completely skip the urine soaked underpasses.

I am in Jacksonville for a couple of months and fully expect to play this course as much as possible. 3 stars to the designer!

I'm going DOWNTOWN

1    2/12/2012   2/26/2012
Pros: 1) This is a very beginner friendly course because it is on completely mowed turf. You cannot lose a disc here unless you end up throwing it in the river to the side of a couple fairways, but even there it is retrievable.

2) There must have recently been a river cleanout because there were hundreds of plastic garbage bags filled with trash and multiple shopping carts out in the road. Obviously this is a park that people care about or this wouldn't take place. It is also just 1 minute from the middle of downtown Jacksonville so it is an image issue for the city I am sure.

3) Tees are concrete and sometimes on exisiting sidewalks where they will mark the actual tee area.

4) Practice basket and a sign by #1 for the park.

5) Nice new discatcher baskets are in great shape and installed properly.

6) I love it when old parks leave the old concrete structures and landscape pieces in place. Here there is what I would assume is a 100 year old curved concrete wall. Sure it has shifted over time and is settling in some areas and cracked, but it is a really interested and historic piece of the landscape. It looks like it onetime framed a concert area or something like that. These small things make parks and disc golf courses attractive. I also like the pavilion building near Hole #4 or 5. That is old and a unique piece of history so it is cool they worked around it.

7) Signs have Par, distance, hole # and sponsors along with a general hole map.

8) There were also some benches and garbage cans in a few spots around the course, more intended for park users and people along the sidewalk but nothing says we can't use them too.

9) An odd feature which I thought was cool is it appears you are walking through a large area of mint groundcover because as I walked through the lawns I kept smelling mint. I thought it was all clover but there apparently was also some mint. Not really a pro I guess but something interesting.

10) I think there was a restroom in the building on the front 9 somewhere but I did not check it to see if it was usable.
Cons: 1) I know I was not in the nicest neighborhood but I was comforted by the fact that the entire park area was framed with 100 year old decent homes. Plenty of people to witness anything that might happen to me.

2) This is a very disjointed course because you play through like 4 different areas of the riverside park. You have to walk under two overpasses and across a couple roads during the round.

3) The lawn in the park could definitely use a mow . . . the clover, mint, and cool season turf is growing still while the warm season turf is still dormant. I am not sure how frequently they mow, but to me this area could see some mowing right now.

4) This is a completely flat course as is standard in Florida. Maybe a few elevated or unique basket locations could have altered the flatness of the ground just enough to have some interest.

5) In general these holes do not have enough obstacles or much interest.

6) Distance variation is only
moderate. There are no really long holes and definitely no par 4's here.

7) Obstacles are few and far
between in my view. They didn't have a ton of trees to use, but at least they did get into a couple of areas that created a tighter type shot.
Other Thoughts: This was not a terrible course at all but it was not the most challenging or interesting and it is located in a slightly poor neighborhood. It felt a lot like Dineen Park in Milwaukee. Not a place I would go to regularly but a good place to warmup for the day. There are not any real unique holes and most holes are just laid out right in front of you to try and execute the shot. I was happy to be on my way to league at Ed Austin Park and later to be playing Ronnie Van Zant Memorial, because this would not have satisfied my disc golf needs for the day.

Downtown Discgolf

1    12/18/2011   12/20/2011
Review By: Zach-R.
Pros: Brand new course with Innova Discatchers that moves through numerous small city parks. There is good use of natural and man made obstacles. The course moves along past impressive 100 year old homes, and the grounds are very well maintained. There are good tee pads on every hole, some are new concrete and others are painted lines on existing sidewalks. They are all of good size and work well. There is a good mix of trees and they are mature and well trimmed. There was hardly any trash the day we played, even though there were only a few trash cans. I liked the way the course moves along and the pin placement, I would like to meet the designer and shake his hand.
Cons: There was limited signage and a lack of trash cans.
There also was no restroom facilities. The restroom on hole # 4 was locked.
This area is very nice to look at, but the neighborhood is pretty ruff, crime and lots of homeless.
I would play with a group considering the area just to be on the safe side.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course very much and would suggest this course to anyone passing through Jax. it's right off the interstate and easy to get back on. I think this course can only get better, with more signage, trashcans, and restrooms.

1 2 Next >