Greece, NY
Sawyer Park Share

Not sure what it wants to be

1    5/31/2014   5/31/2014
Review By: Timeetyo
Pros: - Pavilions and bathrooms on site
- Interesting use of the creek and a bit of elevation changes
- Even with the creek in play, low chance of lost discs
- Lots of tight lines require some shot shaping
- Short, short 9 holes
Cons: - dirt tees
- no tee signs
- most tees are marked with signs on trees, most you are guessing as to where the end of the tee is
- navigation isn't too bad but I needed a few glances at the map
Other Thoughts: When it is all said and done - I did have a good time on my round....but even though I had the time to spare I didn't choose to take another lap. I am not quite sure what this course is trying to "be". It has tight, technical lines that are too challenging for kids / complete beginners. It is too short to be much of a challenge to an experienced player. Even with its short holes there aren't a ton of ace runs because of the lines required. I think this course would be much better served if it was opened up quite a bit to make a very family / beginner friendly course. With basil around the corner I just don't see the point of stopping by as it is.

Short Game Practice

1    6/28/2011   6/30/2011
Review By: Stairyo
Pros: A fun mini-course. Good for quick 1 or 2 disc rounds. A little creek runs through the course which adds a slight challenge to 3 of the holes. I really like hole 3 which is over a bend in the creek and is definately an ace run. Good chance to work with midrange, approach, and putting.
Cons: Basket #9 was missing. Tough to follow the signs to the next hole. Had to use map on cell phone for most holes. Screaming children running around the park and woods from a day camp.
Other Thoughts: This course is definately not on par with the other courses in Rochester, but it's still not a bad little course to stop by for a picnic and a quick 9.

Basil's Runaway Bastard Child

1    9/26/2010   10/2/2010
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: Not as terrible as I was expecting. I have played far worse....I'm sure Rochester Dgers shudder at that thought. It's a short course thats a good warm up for Basil or a nice practice course or a place to have a fun round and not worry about crowds or backups.None of the holes are long so it plays real quick with a midrange and a putter. Very tight lines that offer rewarding birdies and punish misfires.
Course had straight, left, right and plinko style holes so I never got bored. If you focus on what this course has and not what it lacks you can appreciate it. I love a good plinko hole where you are forced to find a line. Hole #1 with its grove of trees rising out of mowed and manicured grass is as good as plinko gets. 3 holes incorporate a wide yet shallow stream into the shot. Good use of banks and undulating terrain to create some fun approaches. The tight gnarly lines will only make you a better player as I birdied and double bogeyed here......I think I could break 20 here but might try all day trying.
Cons: Theres plenty to disgust DG snobs here. No Tees, No easy way across the stream, signs consist of just a white piece of wood with a number tacked to it nailed to a tree, It's a little unkempt, and the attempt to provide 18 holes with dual tee off positions is laughable as there are no tees and often zero lines due to overvegetaion from these extra positions. (good idea poorly executed)
Really has no appeal as the lines are too tight for beginners and the course is too short for experienced players. Course doesnt even have many ace chances either as the density of the trees and obstacles makes aces unlikely. (I almost got hole 6 though) It has some decent variety and intersting features but it just seems like it's uncared for and left to go on iit's whimsical way.
Other Thoughts: I came here looking to get an easy ace and to course bag....shame on me. I'm glad I played it though and if I had a course like this near me I am sure it would benefit my game with the tight lines required. Supposedly these 9 baskets were holes 19-27 at Basil and they got taken out and placed here....seems crazy to do that and put the baskets in a park right around the corner that is far inferior to the mighty Basil.

Not worth it

1    5/5/2010   5/10/2010
Review By: swiltse
Pros: The park is nice, but the course is really a waste of good baskets.
Cons: Course it hard to navigate, even with a good map had trouble finding a couple tees and then determining where the pins were. Really overgrown on most holes, #9 didn't even seem to have a throwing lane. I know this course is supposed to be for beginners/kids, but it's really short and there's really not much throwing lanes.
Other Thoughts: This course either needs to be worked on to improve it or just pull the baskets and make a better course somewhere else. I played it to try it out, but wouldn't go back, it's really not worth it.

If you're in the area, stop by for a Quickie!

5+    7/14/2010   12/15/2009
Review By: WillACarpenter
This review was updated on 9/23/2010
Pros: Variation of different shots, one over water, some amongst trees, some more open. Few nice left hooks.

Wonderful use of the space. Great place to teach people the sports, fun place to work on your short game!
Cons: Not a big course, only 9 holes, and might have a lot of people around at certain times of the year...but I've never seen anybody.

****UPDATE**** this course has sort of been taken back by nature. It may get a facelift soon...but we'll have to see what happens. Essentially storms took down trees and weeds grew up and weren't pulled and leaves fell and gather loosely everywhere.
Other Thoughts: I play this course with a mid and a putter. Or a mid, approach, and putter....or maybe just approach and putter.

If you like a Challenger for putting and approaching maybe just bring that. I could certainly score well on this course with just a Challenger.

This course is a fun little trip. I like to play speed 1-2 disc rounds with my dad here. This course is like a mile away from Basil so sometimes when we leave Basil we realize we're up for more, and stop off at Sawyer Park and get in a quick 9-27 holes.

Parma and Basil are both really close...so if you're traveling play those...but if you have the time to stop over, Sawyer is a welcome little detour.

pretty bad

1    5/10/2008   8/25/2009
Review By: dreadlock86
This review was updated on 5/29/2012
Pros: it's close to a really nice course - Basil Marella

nice, wooded area. potential for some great holes.
Cons: don't know if any of this has changed but there were no signs, no tees and the course was very difficult to navigate.
interesting topography with the creek and woods but muddy, overgrown, etc.
Other Thoughts: could make an interesting course if some work was put into it but this course is just not worth it in it's present condition. especially since Basil Marella is minutes away.

the time of year may have played a part in the course condition. it was right after the thaw.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

Needs work

2-4    7/19/2008   7/19/2009
Review By: RocCityDiscer
Pros: Very close to Basil if you are passing through the area and want to play as many courses as possible.

Holes have a nice concept for the type of shot to be played. Park has lots of potential for a very sweet course. Open pine woods for the first few holes and dense hardwood forest for the last. And a creek to add difficulty.
Cons: Holes were just "thrown" into the park. No signage to speak of except for a course bulletin board with a map that doesn't describe much. No real "flow" to the hole layout, lots of criss-cross and backtracking.
Other Thoughts: Could be a great little nine hole course with some clearing of fairways, marking of teeboxes, and directions pointing to next tee.

Needs Work

1    8/10/2008   8/15/2008
Review By: cdeane
Pros: Nice park, kinda out-of-the-way. Hole # 1 easy to find and a nice thread the needle fell to it through some pines. Baskets are in good shape. Some interesting shots where the creek comes into play.
Cons: After hole# 2 the tees are poorly marked, some just spray painted numbers on trees. No hole lenghts or pars listed anywhere. No indicators to next tee on baskets, and even with the map it was difficult to find my way.
Other Thoughts: Very nice map available online, I sugggest first time players bring it along. I think this course has some potential, but if I'm travelling to this area I will play Basil Marella instead. If you lthrow your disc into the creek here there is practically 0 chance of retrieval. The water is muddy and runs quick.

In the shadow of Basil

9/5/2007   9/5/2007
Review By: MattK
Pros: More than I expected from a little par 3 course. Up and down shots, over the creek, through the woods...short but not too bad. Also, unlike other short park courses, this one is at least somewhat out of the way: no shots through playgrounds or ballfields.
Cons: While most of the tees are marked (though some with only spray paint on trees), there is often no clear line one has to stand behind; some tees appear from the signs to be actually in the brush. The woods are a tangled mess, and nearly all of the throwing lanes favor only right-handers. The length of the course relegates it to new players, but the amount of water in play may be a bit much for those who only own a couple of discs and don't want to risk having to wade in after them.
Other Thoughts: It's too short for serious players, and too hazard filled for beginners. With a superior woods course (Basil Marella) only a mile away, I'm not sure how many people would want to play here. Beginners would have a better time at Basil, and I'm sure pros would rather play a real 18 hole course as well.