Slow and steady
Great elevation usage.
Red Kingpin baskets, which are sexy.
Perfect warmup for Tendick.
It's in Fredonia!
At least there's a port-a-potty.
Cons: Tough to walk - paths aren't great and you're on the side of a hill for most of it.
Signage isn't very good.
No water or bathrooms.
Seems to favor RHBH hyzer shots - could probably Hyzer every drive except hole 6.
Other Thoughts: For most of my life I lived not a mile from where this course is, but they put it in only a year before I moved. When I still lived there, I hated this course. It was nearly impossible to walk, and some of the drives you had to make were just absurd. Since I moved, I come back to Freetown every month or two, and every time I come here, it is better. All the updates that GooB talks about below I have seen round by round, and each time the course is more enjoyable. I envision a day where this could be a 4-rated 9 holer. There's a couple holes that you get to air it out, and a bunch of very tight windows through the woods.
There's a strange little teepee like structure by the tee of hole 6, and I cannot figure out if it was made by the course designers or children from the nearby apartments. I mean, it has built in steps and a table, but was also full of nerf guns...
Work in progress
Pros: This course is a work in progress. Alot of thought is going into making it tough but fair. This review is more to let people know what is going on with and what is planned for the course. I am personally giving it 3 discs because I am involved with the course through village and the course designers. The designers are looking to make a tough but fair course. The majority of the hole's tee pads are in drastically different places to hopefully encourage the feel of 18 holes if played from both sets of tees.
Cons: Young course, not very beat in. Still needs alot of work.
Other Thoughts: 7/14/13 Hole #1's fairway had the apple trees trimmed up quite a bit. The basket can now be seen from the tee pads. Hole #2's fairway has been widened and had a few trees removed. All other trees on #2 have been trimmed up. Hole #8's fairway has been widened and had trees and underbrush removed.
7/28/13 A new fairway has been cut in on hole #5! Makes playing from the short tee have a fair line. The leveling of #2's long tee pad has begun. Hole #6's fairway has been trimmed but still needs some work.
8/11/13 Hole #2 long tee is leveled and has gravel! Work is beginning on hole #3's short tee pad. More polishing of #5's fairway for the long tee. #7's fairway cleaned up for the short tee. Moved the short tee back a little bit. Trimmed up low hanging branches on #9.
8/25/13 Cleared a new fairway on hole #4!
Future plans. (Nothing is set in stone yet! Just a few thoughts.) Create a new fairway for #4, Clean up more of #8's fairway back to the short tee. Move #8's long tee up the hill and create another fair way. Move # 6's long tee up the hill and create another fairway. Clean and remove trees from #3's long fairway. Fill in around #3's alt pin placement. We still need to find good spots and put in #5,6,and 8,s alt pin placements.
Fun 9 holer
Pros: Located in a small uncrowded park where the course won't interfere with other activities. They do an excellent job using the hillside and woods to make for a surprisingly challenging round. There were homemade wood signs by every tee with hole #, a hand drawn directional to the pin and shot shape needed and distance. There also were a number of next tee signs to guide you between holes as there are a few longer walks. Very nice brand new red powdercoated baskets that catch well. There is also a practice basket right before hole one which is always nice. Awesome variety for a nine holer, with great uphill and downhill bombs and left, straight and right turning shots. A very well rounded course in this regard.
Cons: The tee pads are rough. The ones on the hillside are not level and although it was dry when we went I would imagine they get very muddy after rain. The signs serve their purpose but i could see these getting stolen or broken which would make the course impossible to play if you were new to it. A few holes on the hillside have basically no real path to the basket, you just got to throw and hope it somehow gets through. I was confused as to where to start as there is no signs. When pulling into the parking lot you will see a basket to your right. This is the practice basket with hole 1 being just northeast of the practice basket throwing up the hill.
Other Thoughts: All in all this was one of the more challenging nines i've played. It's still a relatively new course so maybe they'll trim some trees, add concrete or gravel tees, and upgrade the signage. This is why i gave it a 2.5 instead of a 3. Not worth a long trip just for this, but with Tendick Nature Park about ten minutes away in Saukville it makes for a fun day of discing.
2 Helpful / 0 Not
A good start
Pros: 1)Decent distance holes
2)Baskets are easily visible
3)Hole 3 is a nice down hill shot
4)Hole 5 is a tricky blind shot
5)Hole 7 is a straigh way
Cons: 1)Some of the ground is rough from the course being newly made.
2)They have pretty basic signs for the holes.
3)Hole 1 has a lot of thorns so watch out.
Other Thoughts: They cleaned up the course a bit so its not as rough. The course is decent i think for being made on such short notice. They also left it open at the end for a possible 18 hole course some day. Overall i thought i was an okay course.
2 of 2 people found this review helpful.
5 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: 1) Nice red powder coated baskets really stand out in the fall and wintertime, but might be hard to see when everything is green.
2) Tees are currently marked with posts in the ground and the tops painted red. the posts have the distance and the hole # which helps with navigation as people play this course for the first time.
3) Nice variety in elevation. Holes #1 and 4 go straight up the hill. #3 goes straight down the hill. Holes 2, 5, 6, and 8 go along the side of the hill creating interesting shots. This is a nice variety of elevation change and isn't just straight up and straight down.
4) Density of the foliage here is diverse. There are a couple fairly open holes, there are a couple with open fairways but baskets tucked into the woods or protected wooded areas, along with a couple of tight densely wooded holes.
5) The challenge on this course will com from multiple things. The wind will be a factor on many of the holes as the baskets are more exposed than some of the fairways. The elevation will alter hole distances significantly on a couple of the holes. The tightly wooded fairways have plenty of places to knock you down and force a challenging upshot. The dense underbrush will most certainly become something you need to be concerned with because if you get in it, you might not have an easy way out. All in all good variety and good challenge. You also need to be able to work your disc all directions and at varying heights too.
Cons: 1) Course is incomplete in its clearing at this point. I expect this work to be completed and I will immediately update my review to reflect it has been completed. There are quite of few trees and scrub that likely should be removed in order to create fair shots.
2) The ground in the fairways is really uneven. There are pockets all over the place that could lead to tripping or ankle injuries. These areas could be taken care of easily with a brush hog to remove the vines, stumps, etc and help level out the ground.
3) Grass tees currently. Not sure if concrete are planned, but I will update as soon as I hear if they have changed.
4) Not beginner friendly really because of the tighter dense fairways. This is a recreational to intermediate level course. Beginners will struggle unless serious clearing takes place.
Other Thoughts: As always . . . take this review with a grain of salt. The course has not been open long and still has a bit of work to be completed. I wanted to get the course listed so people knew it was there and give it a shot.
It is fun to throw many of these holes despite the troubling trees and other maintenance issues, but I am sure most of my issues will be handled in short order as the city has the funds to attack those areas.
5 of 5 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.