Olde Mill Practice Area
Pros: 1) Another place to expose people to this game.
2) 3 holes all have some interest to them. One goes uphill and sits under a tree, one goes across a dropoff and inside a line of trees, and one goes down a small hill and is a fun throw.
3) There is some challenge with the variety of the three holes which is still a positive.
4) Beginner friendly because it is mostly open and there is no risk of losing a disc.
Cons: 1) Discatchers have a lot of rusty chains.
2) You throw over a baseball field, along a soccer field, and up to a playground area. This is not the safest layout in the world, but perhaps the 3 holes are usable when the other activities are not happening. I only had one person there, but it was early on a Saturday morning.
3) One could argue that people might get more disenfranchised with this sport because of this course being an annoyance for other park users.
4) No trees to really contend with, unless you throw an errant shot.
5) Grass tees always leave something to be desired.
6) Tees are not marked, it is basically just three baskets to be thrown at or putted at. I picked logical place for tees to be placed.
7) Distance variation is terrible with all three holes playing very similar lengths.
Other Thoughts: That's about it and that's about all I can say.Of the practice areas I have played, this has some of the more fun shots to throw but there are too many negatives that go along with this property to rate it higher.
Pros: If you are traveling east on 22 Half Day Road you cannot turn left. This is a 3 basket practice area. It's located in a very small but very nice neighborhood park.
There are 3 very nice Innova Discatcher baskets.
Cons: I'd say this is a great practice area but it's not. One basket is right next to the playground. I was there and a family was using it. I could not throw to that basket.
The other basket. The other basket is located right next to a small basetball field and pushed right up against a row of rough. The other is right on the edge of a soccer field.
Other Thoughts: If no one is using the park this is a good practice area. If you are local this would be a good place to come out and practice your putting.
I wish they had an informational board that explained disc golf. I have a feeling other park users have no idea what the baskets are for.
Pros: The baskets are in a nice little neighborhood park. The dispatchers are brand new and in nice shape. It's nice to have this kind of exposure to neighborhood kids, hopefully it gets a few of them hooked and going out to the real courses in the area. I would love to have a few baskets in a park in my neighborhood to get in some putting practice or throw around a little when I had limited time. A couple of the baskets have small drop-offs next to them, you can practice putting with a little elevation.
Cons: This is a very dangerous place to put these baskets. One basket is within a few feet of a playground, throwing at it from any direction makes it pretty likely that you'll overthrow and end up in the play area. Another basket is directly behind a small baseball diamond, throws to or from it bring the field into play making it pretty unusable if a game was going on. The third basket is basically in the outfield of the baseball diamond. On a day where anyone else was using this tiny park it would be difficult to throw anything longer than a putt and not have major safety issues. The baskets are too far apart to make them very interesting to throw back and forth for kids or people just starting out, and that distance increases the risk of errant and dangerous shots.
Other Thoughts: I love seeing practice areas popping up, it's good exposure and a great place to get some short game practice without being in the way on the course. I wish they had chosen a safer location and one that was usable even when other people were in the park.
Better than nothing
Pros: 3 nice baskets in a FREE public park. No one is ever here so you do not have to worry about other park users. 3 baskets. No tee pads. I played from basket-to-basket in both directions making 6 holes to play. 1 basket is on a ridge so a bit of a shooting upward experience in there.
Cons: Holes cross playing fields. Can not play here if a baseball game or soccer game were to happen. 1 basket is quite close to playground equipment so you will need to toss carefully if kids are playing.
Other Thoughts: Nice quiet place to come to toss a few around if you were trying to get a feel for a new middie or a new putter. Would be great if I had a small kid who wanted to play on the park equipment while I tossed a few for practice. Not really a course by most standards... but it is Disc Golf and it ifs FREE and that is in and of itself a good thing.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.