Charlotte, NC
Plantation Ruins at Winget Share
Uploaded By: skinnylimbs Hole #13 (Taken 1/2012)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Beginners Prospective

5+    8/16/2014   8/24/2014
Review By: lexxerd
This review was updated on 9/2/2014
Pros:
COURSE PLAY:
The course is very well laid out and a lot of fun to play. There is a good mix of left and right hole shots with some par 3 and par 4 holes. The course is primarily wooded but each hole is very open with very few narrow holes. There are several up hill and down hill holes which really keeps you on your toes. The course is great for summer play since you are in the shade for most of the course and you get to escape that Carolina heat! The OB and surrounding areas are fairly clear even in the spring/summer months which makes finding disc very easy. There are a few water hazards but they are small creeks that seems to be pretty much dried up most of the time. There are some really cool ruins within the woods that you will see as your journey through the course. Don't forget to bring some bug spray and watch out for spider webs when in the woods.

AMENITIES:
Winget has great detailed tee signage and benches at every hole. Tee signs are accurate and depict correct basket placement. Something I'd love to see more courses implement is the little arrow signs that are attached to the bottom of each basket pole to point you to the next hole. This was absolutely great for navigation. There is decent parking spaces and it is best to park by the basketball/soccer fields. The entrance to hole 1 will be to the right of the practice basket which is by the road to the parking lot. There are also available bathrooms and water fountains by the playground.

Cons: There is trash everywhere! There is broken glass and beer bottles all over the place. The lack of trash cans doesn't help. Next time I'm out at Plantation Ruins I am going to bring a trash bag and try to help out with this.

Other Thoughts: The walk from hole 14 to 15 can be confusing because of how far you have to walk. 15 starts to the right of the pink/red playground area just at the entrance of the woods.

Winget is one of my favorite courses in Charlotte! I highly suggest this course for any beginner to intermediate player.

My home course!

5+    8/20/2014   8/20/2014
Review By: Dickie B
Pros: Holes are well laid out and easy to follow. Each tee box has a bird's-eye view to show the distance and layout of the hole as well as which way to the following tee box. All baskets are in great shape. The fairways are regularly mown. There are plenty of bridges and walkover's to keep you out of the little creeks that "pop" up after a rain. Even in the hottest days, it's bearable because all but 2 holes, 3 and 14, are shaded as this is a wooded course. Only 2 holes, 12 and 13, offer much of an elevation change. This course is suited to people who don't have the ability to mountain-climb a course due to their physical shape. It's a wonderful walk in the woods while you throw some discs.
Cons: Bring your bug spray. Because of the run-off areas and the woods, this course has it's share of dive-bombing blood suckers, chiggers included. These little bites last 2 weeks and never stop itching! Not enough trash cans. I think this is the reason several holes will have some leftover cups and cans.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course for 2 reasons, it's close to my house, and it is challenging. It is fun and I have brought several people into the disc golf fold on this course.
It's easy for beginners too. Try it and even with some of the cons, you will love the course.

Great Course - must try!

5+    8/2/2014   8/2/2014
Review By: Zaneism
Pros: I love playing new courses, and I got talked into this course because it was a little bit of a drive. I wanted to play Rankin Lake in Gastonia because it is close to my house. I went anyway and I was very pleased. I feel that there is a nice balance to this course when it comes to "par." Most golfers are going to shoot near par or a little above. This makes every shot count. At a lot of courses, shooting 8 or 9 over is average and that doesn't seem like the "par" is a real "par." Maybe I'm just not as good as most but at least with a course like this, everyone can enjoy it without feeling bad about their round. My girlfriend, who had never played disc golf, never even picked up a disc before loved it. She will probably be a disc golfer for life now because this course didn't intimidate her. There is a lot to be said for balance.
Cons: The first time out, I saw the practice basket but didn't know where to go from there. Obviously, it didn't take me long to figure it out, but I would like to see a kiosk or sign accenting the entrance. This course is deserving of some nice signage. Maybe even an archway to show where the path begins. I have read a lot of complaints about the length of the course and I completely understand it. I'm not the type of golfer that wants to be searching the woods for my disc all day after a bomb throw into the woods. However, the highlight of the course being short is that my friends who are just starting out, have a place that we can all enjoy. It is challenging enough for me to enjoy but short enough that they don't feel inadequate because they can't throw a disc 300ft.
Other Thoughts: I agree that the walk after #14 is a little long and could use some permanent signage but I really like it. It seems like every time I get to this walk, my buddies and I are talking junk about our scores and preparing for the last 4 holes. It's like the 7th inning stretch. It's an awesome time to reflect on how the round has gone and what you need out of these last 4 holes (which are all birdie opportunities!!)

1    7/24/2014   7/24/2014
Review By: JohtoVillage
Pros: When I was thinking of how to rate this course I told myself there was no way I could give a course under 4800 feet better than a 3.0 rating. However, I kept coming back to the fact that I truly enjoyed playing this course and having a "fun" time trumps any preconceived notion of what a course should be rated. Here are my pros:

1) This course has the feeling of being in the middle of a jungle. It also helps that the park is outside of town. This is a course that plays in a very old forest and really has a serene feel to it. You really feel like you are playing in an old ruined, forest. I love disc golf courses that feel like you are in the middle of nowhere.

2) Plantation Ruins has very interesting greens. A lot of the greens are dirt or have pine needles on or around them so it makes the greens very quick. This actually adds quite a bit of a challenge because you really have to judge the distance/skip.

3) Even though the course is very short, this course is still challenging. The lines are very difficult to hit. Also, some of the lines require you to play an awkward shot to get to the basket that gets you out of your comfort zone. If you don't want to throw that line you can still get an opportunity for birdie but it won't be an easy birdie. A perfect example of this is hole 15. Even though this hole is super short, the shape of the fairway calls for a RHBH shot. But the location of the basket would call for a right handed flick shot but the fairway doesn't really allow this line. So the typical RHBH shot will probably end up 25 feet to the left of the hole with an obstructed putt. This is a great hole and a lot of the holes follow this pattern of taking an extra risk to try a different shot even though its a harder shot. This course is full of risk/reward opportunities.

4) I love Mach 5 baskets and these baskets are superb. Its obviously a newer course so the baskets will more naturally be in great shape but these baskets caught extremely well. It also helps that the basket caught my 70 foot jump putt on hole 11!

5) This course gets a 4/5 on the fun factor scale. Tricky is the best way to describe this course but its extremely fair. I genuinely had a lot of fun playing this course and would want to keep coming back if I lived in the area.

6) The course had a great mix of backhand, forehand and turnover shots. Hole 11 was one of the shorter holes on the course but required a huge, HIGH turnover to get anywhere near the basket. Then hole 12 required a short, long hyzer (for a righty) and hole 13 required you to throw a perfectly straight shot. The variety in the shot-shaping was extraordinary!
Cons: Overall this was a very enjoyable course and I didn't have many cons for the course:

1) Like with a few other Charlotte courses, I felt that the course designer pushed the issue on par 4's. I felt this park was a perfect par 3 disc golf course but then they forced 3 par 4's on the course that are all under 400 feet. I didn't mind hole 12 but 8 and 9 were silly par 4's in my opinion. In particular hole 9 felt like I was playing backwards when I got to the green. The hole was an uphill, dogleg left with a lot of foliage to protect the landing zone. Even though the hole didn't go "backwards" it was a sharp enough turn to the basket to where it just felt off to me. Hole 8 wasn't as bad but once again it was a forced shot to a very specific landing zone and then a 90 degree turn the other way. In my opinion I don't think par 4's should be forced. If the land isn't there the land isn't there.

2) Blind holes....and lots of them. For being such a short course you wouldn't think there would be many blind holes but this course had a lot of them. At least 9 holes were blind from the tee so the first play through you will probably be walking ahead often to scope out the hole.

3) Its a long walk after hole 14 of about 400 feet. Its not a huge deal because most of the other holes have short walks but its worth pointing out.

4) This course is essentially one size fits all: don't come here expecting to air out a disc. This is a very short and technical wooded course with a few shorter, open holes. There is only one set of tees so if you come in with the right expectations of what the course was designed to be you will have a good time.
Other Thoughts: This course is a lot of fun! The course itself is probably a 3/5 but the fun factor is super high so I upgraded this to a 3.5, which is considered Very Good. Charlotte continues to be the mecca for disc golf in the country! Add this course to the list if you are in town.

Fun & Well Designed Course

2-4    7/7/2014   7/7/2014
Review By: Mike C
Pros: -All of the fairways have trees in play and force line shaping, yet there are obvious lines for every hole. Not a single hole feels like a poke and pray luck based shot.

-There are benches on every single hole. They are also placed well behind the teepad so you have plenty of room and will never feel cramped on a packed card.

-About 90% of the course is shaded from the warm Charlotte sun. This is very nice on a hot summer day.

-Most of the holes force turns within 200 to 250' of the tee. For someone like me who throws 400'+ this makes the course feel more technical, as I'm constantly having to adjust hyzer angles and power levels. It made me think a lot more than a more open course, or even a longer wooded course.

-There is a diverse range of lines demanded by the course. There is a fairly even mix of left and right turning holes, as well as straight shots and hyzer lines. In addition there are multiple degrees of hyzer required to hit the gaps. Some holes turn very sharply while others have a more gradual turn where a hyzer flip with a neutral disc that finishes straighter is more suitable.

-The overall feel of the course is that of one designed by disc golfers for disc golfers. Nothing about this course feels like an accident. The tees are quality, the benches and tee signs are never in the way of the tee box, the baskets are well marked and indicate the direction of the next hole, and none of the holes feel like they were designed by someone who doesn't know what he's doing. The land is well utilized.

-The course is scenic, with well manicured open holes and well defined wooded holes through mature woods. There are a few interesting ruins to look at, and the entire course has a fragrant pine smell.

-The course is very easy to navigate and flows very well.
Cons: -The majority of the holes are under 325', and while they are wooded the fairways are defined enough to not be very punishing. As a more advanced player I do not feel very challenged at this course, though it also it doesn't feel like a walk in the park. I think having two or three more holes pushing 400'-450' would appeal to skilled players.

-The teepads are just a bit shorter than optimum. It was never an issue while throwing but it was in the back if my mind while playing. I'm used to tee's that offer another 10-20 inches of length, but for how short the holes are at Winget they are suitable. I will say they were all flat and level, and the edges do no poke out of the ground and present tripping hazards.

-While 16 of the 18 holes flow well and are easy to navigate, there are two minor issues. Hole 1 could be marked a little better, it can be confusing finding it your first time because its hidden from the road while other holes are well exposed to the entrance. Second, there is a walk from 14 to 15 across a playground and pavilion. It is easy to navigate, but with the rest of the course flowing exceptionally well its tough to not notice this ~400' trek to #15.

-My second round here I saw a pretty large snake. It didn't appear to be a poisonous specie but it was a bigger snake than I had seen in my 5 years of golfing in NE Ohio, so it stood out to me.
Other Thoughts: This is a very good course overall. While Charlotte does feature longer, more demanding courses such as Renaissance Gold, Winget is a very solid 18 hole course that's worth playing if you are in the area. What it lacks in challenge it makes up for in exceptional flow, variety and solid overall design.

This is my current home course and compared to my previous home course (Arboretum in Canton, OH) I feel it places more emphasis on control and line shaping as opposed to the raw distance Arboretum asked for. If I were to compare it to a course I'm familiar with, I'd say it reminds me of a flatter Oak Ledges (Massillon, OH) without the length of holes #1, #14 & #17.

There's not much else to say other than re-iterating my point that this feels like a course designed by experienced designers who have played the game. It is a well thought-out design that demands a variety of lines to consistently score birdies while keeping a very high fun factor.

It won't ruin your day

1    12/19/2013   12/26/2013
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: Winget is not even two years old but is nicely broken in, without the annoying stray branches poking into the fairways or rough navigation that can detract from newer courses.
The variety is a breath of fresh air. Unlike other Charlotte courses, the wooded holes are combined with several more open holes. There aren't any huge hyzer distance holes where you can forget about your accuracy, but it's nice to have some holes that call for a full driver throw.
The elevation isn't massive, but there are mild changes on most holes, enough to change the way you approach the fairway. Hole 10 is a fun straight shot at a basket on a downslope, so ranging your shot is tough (I way overshot). Hole 17 is a pleasant downhill shot over a small valley. Hole 13 is a tough uphill tunnel shot that looks a lot like a hole on the other side of the country at Dexter (the one Feldberg aced in his youtube video).
There are a couple nice par 4 holes, and doglegs are used well, like many courses in the area.
I always enjoy courses that have some unusual or noteworthy features, even if they are not part of play. Here the course is set on an old plantation (thus the name) with brick remnants of the house's chimney and a kiln. At one point my guide (tom12003) said, "Oh, you ended up in the slave's quarters." I thought he meant I was in a tough place, but I actually was near the foundations of the old slave's housing.
Tee pads are concrete. Tee signs show the fairway shape and distance. I had a guide, so navigation wasn't an issue for me, but it looked pretty straightforward in most spots.
Cons: There was just one tee pad, so there is only one way to play the course. Not the end of the world.
The course is right next to a school, so if you are coming on a weekday you may want to avoid the dropoff and pickup times, as the entrance gets clogged.
There is a longish walk between holes 14 and 15. Look for the red playground equipment and walk past that.
I played on a weekday, so this might not be an issue on the weekend, but this wasn't one of the more serene courses in the area, if you are looking to get away from the noise. It certainly didn't bother me, though.
Other Thoughts: When I drove in here, I thought I was on the wrong road because I was driving through a very nice neighborhood with McMansions and well groomed yards, which I realized is not a very common sight near disc golf courses. On that note, follow the directions on the course page rather than punching the address into GPS, as I was led to the wrong place by GPS.
If you are a sub-900 player like me, this is a great course to pair with the longer courses in the area to remind you that you're not terrible. It's no cakewalk, but the variety is refreshing, and you won't be taking a lot of tear-inducing triple bogeys here. Even if you are an advanced player, there is enough fun and challenge here to make it worth your while.

Great for beginners and intermediate players

5+    11/5/2013   12/5/2013
Review By: heelboycraig
Pros: Winget Park has been a great addition to the Charlotte disc golf scene. The course aims to appeal to casual and beginners, presenting a nice change of pace for disc golfers in the QC.
- This is definitely one of the more beginner-friendly/easier courses in around. In Charlotte proper, the only more beginner-friendly 18-hole course is Elon's Eager Beaver. If you want to introduce newbies to the game, bring them here.
- Because of its intended level, there isn't much length here. The longest hole is 380 feet, with the average at 263 feet. Only five holes are longer than 300 feet, meaning big arms are not needed here.
- That means accuracy is crucial to getting low numbers. With some sharp doglegs (highlighted by 8-9 and 11-12), smart shot making can lead to birdie chances. For the beginners, keep your disc in the fairway and you'll still put yourself in good position. There are also a number of ace runs at this course. The risk/reward scale tilts heavily toward the reward side so, on most holes, you won't get penalized with aggressive tee shots.
- There are some fun/interesting hole layouts. From baskets protected by big trees (#2) or rocks (11) to tight fairways (#13 & 15) to open holes (#3); from ace runs (#5 & 6) to smart, multi-shot fairways (#8 & 12), along with some elevation up (13 & 16) to downhillers (#10) to holes with both (#9), you get a lot of different looks from hole-to-hole.
- Great overall park with lots of amenities - soccer fields, basketball courts, walking trail, playground, volleyball, restrooms and picnic area. This is another good course to drop the family off at while you break away for a quick round.
- This course does a good job with the 'less is more' philosophy. Some of the course's best holes are the simplest ones, using only a couple strategic trees to create challenges. Two of my favorites are #2 & 17. #2 is a 244 foot hole with a semi-tight fairway. The large tree to the left side of the basket will play interference with shots that sail too far wide. #17 is a 282 foot hole starting in the grass to a basket back in the woods. Both can be very simple 3s, but both require good tee shots to get 2s.
Cons: This is all nitpicking. It's been clearly established this is a beginner to intermediate level course, so don't expect long, challenging holes. Charlotte has plenty of courses for that. Among the real issues:
- The long walk from #14 to 15. You're essentially walking the length of the big field to get to #15's tee. Add to that, the signage for #15 tee needs to be much better. Being at the park/playground on non-disc golf visits, I've come across a number of players getting lost looking for #15.
- Signage in a couple other parts of the course could be better as well. The signage for the first hole could be better, the transition from #9 to 10 and from #16 to 17 are all spots better signage could help. Keep in mind, a lot of players here don't have the DG navigational sense to them.
- Course can feel monotonous at times. Even though the layouts themselves have variety, throwing tee shots in the 225 - 275 foot range hole after hole does feel the same after a while.
- Adding to that, maybe this is because I'm not a great disc golfer, nor do I ever claim to be, but the lack of much of a risk/reward factor does take away slightly from my experience here. The most difficult tee shot on the course is #13 - a really tight, gauntlet-esque uphill fairway. Even when I've missed the fairway and hit a tree, which is more often than not, I've overwhelmingly been able to recover for a par, or at least a par attempt. Out of the dozen or so rounds I've now played here (and counting, now that I live so close), there's been very little variation for my best and worst round scores. To me that shows how little penalty there actually is for poor shots.
Other Thoughts: Winget is a solid, if not glamorous, course. It feels like many other courses I've played, in terms of overall quality. I live six minutes from this course, so it's now probably my 'home' course simply based on proximity. That said, I've never had a desire to play a second round after finishing up 18.
- I can't put my finger on it, but somehow this course feels like the parts are greater than the sum. Lots of fun holes that make each round enjoyable, yet, by the time I finish #18, that feeling is gone.
- This is just a personal rant. While it's helpful for others to post videos of course, if you do post a video on this site, don't go trolling into the old buildings near some of the holes. Those are closed off to people for a reason.
- This course gets a ton of play from kids and casual players. It's a great sight when a family is playing this course (or any course), even if they're only carrying a disc or two each.
- That said, the course can get crowded at times with families and beginners, meaning if you show up at the wrong time, you could be in for a slow round. Over the summer, my favorite time to play was early Saturday mornings. Nothing like standing on the first tee and it's not even 7am.
- The course is good for a change of pace. If you want to be challenged, Renny is less than 15 minutes away. If you're playing with newbies or want to fine-tune your short game, play here. You can play shorter loops if you choose, such as 15 - 18. This is actually great if you drop the wife and kids off at the playground. You can also make a nice 9-hole loop by playing #15 - 18 and #1 - 5, then work your way back to the parking lot.
- The course is a 3.0 in my book. Take my ratings and opinion with a grain of salt when I say that at its current 3.5+ rating, this course feels overrated. I'm not wanting to sound harsh, but if you come here expecting a great course, (in theory, courses rated 3.5 or higher are the top-level courses), you will be let down because Winget just doesn't reach that level. Come expecting a lighter, easier round and you'll be pleased.

Lush Vibe

1    11/16/2013   11/19/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: There's not much in the way of ruins, but this place has an incredible feel to it. Approaching the first tee, it does not feel like Charlotte. It feels like somewhere much more tropical and with the name of the course, its not hard to evoke a central American vibe. Even in late fall, everything here is just so lush. It's unique and the area, and it helps make it an awesome place to play.

The signature moment for me was the tee on 2. You walk up staring down a path through the woods towards a giant oak. With the basket to the right of the tree, it's quite surreal and sets the tone for a great round. While there aren't much in the way of ruins, the vibe provided by the setting continues throughout the course.

But most of the reason that it's so great is because of the excellent fairway design. It's a course that is tougher than it looks. I walked up to every hole thinking I could hit the line. And I could have. There isn't a line there that an intermediate player can't hit. There are just tons of lines that intermediate players won't hit every time. The lines are there: they're just a little more narrow than they appear at first glance. Being off by inches can easily mean kicking off a tree.

The course plays mostly through those jungly woods, carving tight fairways that are a joy to throw on. For once, everything that needed to come down is down. There aren't any middle-of-the-fairway trees left hanging around. It's not quite as tough as Nevin, but it will challenge most players.

The best hole is probably nine, the second par four. It's short for a four but it dog legs sharply and the the tee is halfway down an incline, just before a drop off, meaning many an overzealous second shot will roll past the basket and out of putting range.

There isn't a ton of water but the creek hole(4) is also really nice. It's crossed at the tee but it winds around to the right, lurking, to catch any throws that aren't quite straight enough.

There are even a few open holes for those who like that sort of thing. It's really an awesome layout that should appeal to players of almost any skill level, played through an incredible atmosphere.
Cons: There's that half-fallen tree near the 1 tee. I assumed that it was a recent development until I returned here and saw the pictures of being like that in 2012. That seems a little dangerous. I guess it's fairly stable, having lain like that for a year, but I'm pretty sure it could come down suddenly. There's also a bit of barb wire in the creek on four that easy to not see. (I nearly didn't.)

Other than those two danger issues, the flaws are pretty minor here. The open hole break the flow a little bit, are less interesting and take players out of the jungle atmosphere.

There's a real long walk between 14 and 15 and that's also a tough transition to navigate. Typically the arrows here prevent any confusion, but that is a long way away from the arrow and it's very possible to be confused if you don't happen to notice the 16 basket on the way to 1.
Other Thoughts: It's not an especially long course, but it is a notably fun one. It's just six miles from Renaissance and pairing the roughed-edged slopes of that monster with the jungly fun of Plantation Ruins would be a sweet combination on an afternoon in any season.

Solid course

5+    9/9/2013   9/9/2013
Review By: fuzzbomb
Pros: This is a very good course that has challenged me as a beginner and an intermediate player. Tight fairways and well-planned obstacles make this course a lot of fun for those in my skill level. Play conservative, throw straight, and clock a decent score. As the course becomes more familiar it sets up nicely for higher risk/reward shots that can push your score up or down. Most holes are on the shorter side, but there are a couple opportunities to unleash a (not ultra) long drive if your accuracy is high.

It's a great course for a fast lone wolf round... I can walk it well under an hour.

Most tee pads have benches, and concrete tee pads are good sized.

All targets have a small green and white arrow beneath the basket pointing to the next tee pad making navigation easy for first-timers and those without a guide. Trust the arrow on hole 14! The 15th tee pad is directly behind the swings... you'll find it.

The course is mostly in the shade (except for 3, 14, the long walk to 15 and 17). There are some cool "ruins" adjacent to several holes... keep your eyes peeled.

The course is well maintained.
Cons: Trash cans are few.

In the summer the chiggers are *terrible*. If you carry a bag that you put on the ground or think you'll be off the fairway bug spray is a must... on your legs, your clothes and the bottom of your bag! First time I played here I left with about 40 chigger bites. Now I try to always bring a stool to put my bag on and only occasionally get a bite.

Other Thoughts: Plenty of room here for expansion! This course is on the edge of town and there is a lot of wildlife. Keep your eyes peeled for copperheads, they are here.

Enjoy the course. Potential is through the roof!

2-4    7/8/2012   3/31/2013
Review By: Mortis Canyon
Pros: Course is in a nice neighborhood patrolled by police often.
Well maintained course.
Technical, wooded course with a few open holes for variety.
Course is constantly being improved.
Good signage throughout the whole course. Easy to follow.
Amenities such as bathrooms, playground, etc.
Cons: Not very many courses around and for me its kinda of a drive living in Charlotte just to get there. Although, worth the drive and not a huge con. I also understand for others this may not be as huge of a concern.
Some holes on the back nine might have others in the way due to the amenities nearby.
Lack of benches and trash cans.
The transition from hole 14 to 15 was very confusing the first couple of times playing.
Some spots along the course can be damp and muddy even when there has been no rain. Drainage issue.
I don't have the big arm like some, but if you do, you don't have many opportunities at this course for that.
Other Thoughts: Course is challenging to me for the fact I'm not the best player out on the course. I favor wooded, technical courses over grip and rip anyway.

Sky's the limit regarding the potential this course has to be one of the best in the area.

It's cool that disc golf courses are expanding to all areas around Charlotte and Mecklenburg County.

While walking along the course, you will encounter some cool, old buildings.

Overall, I really enjoy the course....would recommend to anyone from Charlotte or not.

< Prev 1 2 3 4