Charlotte, NC
Plantation Ruins at Winget Share
Uploaded By: tom12003 Hole #4 (Taken 4/2012)

My home course!

5+    8/20/2014   8/20/2014
Review By: Dickie B
Pros: Holes are well laid out and easy to follow. Each tee box has a bird's-eye view to show the distance and layout of the hole as well as which way to the following tee box. All baskets are in great shape. The fairways are regularly mown. There are plenty of bridges and walkover's to keep you out of the little creeks that "pop" up after a rain. Even in the hottest days, it's bearable because all but 2 holes, 3 and 14, are shaded as this is a wooded course. Only 2 holes, 12 and 13, offer much of an elevation change. This course is suited to people who don't have the ability to mountain-climb a course due to their physical shape. It's a wonderful walk in the woods while you throw some discs.
Cons: Bring your bug spray. Because of the run-off areas and the woods, this course has it's share of dive-bombing blood suckers, chiggers included. These little bites last 2 weeks and never stop itching! Not enough trash cans. I think this is the reason several holes will have some leftover cups and cans.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course for 2 reasons, it's close to my house, and it is challenging. It is fun and I have brought several people into the disc golf fold on this course.
It's easy for beginners too. Try it and even with some of the cons, you will love the course.

1    7/24/2014   7/24/2014
Review By: JohtoVillage
Pros: When I was thinking of how to rate this course I told myself there was no way I could give a course under 4800 feet better than a 3.0 rating. However, I kept coming back to the fact that I truly enjoyed playing this course and having a "fun" time trumps any preconceived notion of what a course should be rated. Here are my pros:

1) This course has the feeling of being in the middle of a jungle. It also helps that the park is outside of town. This is a course that plays in a very old forest and really has a serene feel to it. You really feel like you are playing in an old ruined, forest. I love disc golf courses that feel like you are in the middle of nowhere.

2) Plantation Ruins has very interesting greens. A lot of the greens are dirt or have pine needles on or around them so it makes the greens very quick. This actually adds quite a bit of a challenge because you really have to judge the distance/skip.

3) Even though the course is very short, this course is still challenging. The lines are very difficult to hit. Also, some of the lines require you to play an awkward shot to get to the basket that gets you out of your comfort zone. If you don't want to throw that line you can still get an opportunity for birdie but it won't be an easy birdie. A perfect example of this is hole 15. Even though this hole is super short, the shape of the fairway calls for a RHBH shot. But the location of the basket would call for a right handed flick shot but the fairway doesn't really allow this line. So the typical RHBH shot will probably end up 25 feet to the left of the hole with an obstructed putt. This is a great hole and a lot of the holes follow this pattern of taking an extra risk to try a different shot even though its a harder shot. This course is full of risk/reward opportunities.

4) I love Mach 5 baskets and these baskets are superb. Its obviously a newer course so the baskets will more naturally be in great shape but these baskets caught extremely well. It also helps that the basket caught my 70 foot jump putt on hole 11!

5) This course gets a 4/5 on the fun factor scale. Tricky is the best way to describe this course but its extremely fair. I genuinely had a lot of fun playing this course and would want to keep coming back if I lived in the area.

6) The course had a great mix of backhand, forehand and turnover shots. Hole 11 was one of the shorter holes on the course but required a huge, HIGH turnover to get anywhere near the basket. Then hole 12 required a short, long hyzer (for a righty) and hole 13 required you to throw a perfectly straight shot. The variety in the shot-shaping was extraordinary!
Cons: Overall this was a very enjoyable course and I didn't have many cons for the course:

1) Like with a few other Charlotte courses, I felt that the course designer pushed the issue on par 4's. I felt this park was a perfect par 3 disc golf course but then they forced 3 par 4's on the course that are all under 400 feet. I didn't mind hole 12 but 8 and 9 were silly par 4's in my opinion. In particular hole 9 felt like I was playing backwards when I got to the green. The hole was an uphill, dogleg left with a lot of foliage to protect the landing zone. Even though the hole didn't go "backwards" it was a sharp enough turn to the basket to where it just felt off to me. Hole 8 wasn't as bad but once again it was a forced shot to a very specific landing zone and then a 90 degree turn the other way. In my opinion I don't think par 4's should be forced. If the land isn't there the land isn't there.

2) Blind holes....and lots of them. For being such a short course you wouldn't think there would be many blind holes but this course had a lot of them. At least 9 holes were blind from the tee so the first play through you will probably be walking ahead often to scope out the hole.

3) Its a long walk after hole 14 of about 400 feet. Its not a huge deal because most of the other holes have short walks but its worth pointing out.

4) This course is essentially one size fits all: don't come here expecting to air out a disc. This is a very short and technical wooded course with a few shorter, open holes. There is only one set of tees so if you come in with the right expectations of what the course was designed to be you will have a good time.
Other Thoughts: This course is a lot of fun! The course itself is probably a 3/5 but the fun factor is super high so I upgraded this to a 3.5, which is considered Very Good. Charlotte continues to be the mecca for disc golf in the country! Add this course to the list if you are in town.

It won't ruin your day

1    12/19/2013   12/26/2013
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: Winget is not even two years old but is nicely broken in, without the annoying stray branches poking into the fairways or rough navigation that can detract from newer courses.
The variety is a breath of fresh air. Unlike other Charlotte courses, the wooded holes are combined with several more open holes. There aren't any huge hyzer distance holes where you can forget about your accuracy, but it's nice to have some holes that call for a full driver throw.
The elevation isn't massive, but there are mild changes on most holes, enough to change the way you approach the fairway. Hole 10 is a fun straight shot at a basket on a downslope, so ranging your shot is tough (I way overshot). Hole 17 is a pleasant downhill shot over a small valley. Hole 13 is a tough uphill tunnel shot that looks a lot like a hole on the other side of the country at Dexter (the one Feldberg aced in his youtube video).
There are a couple nice par 4 holes, and doglegs are used well, like many courses in the area.
I always enjoy courses that have some unusual or noteworthy features, even if they are not part of play. Here the course is set on an old plantation (thus the name) with brick remnants of the house's chimney and a kiln. At one point my guide (tom12003) said, "Oh, you ended up in the slave's quarters." I thought he meant I was in a tough place, but I actually was near the foundations of the old slave's housing.
Tee pads are concrete. Tee signs show the fairway shape and distance. I had a guide, so navigation wasn't an issue for me, but it looked pretty straightforward in most spots.
Cons: There was just one tee pad, so there is only one way to play the course. Not the end of the world.
The course is right next to a school, so if you are coming on a weekday you may want to avoid the dropoff and pickup times, as the entrance gets clogged.
There is a longish walk between holes 14 and 15. Look for the red playground equipment and walk past that.
I played on a weekday, so this might not be an issue on the weekend, but this wasn't one of the more serene courses in the area, if you are looking to get away from the noise. It certainly didn't bother me, though.
Other Thoughts: When I drove in here, I thought I was on the wrong road because I was driving through a very nice neighborhood with McMansions and well groomed yards, which I realized is not a very common sight near disc golf courses. On that note, follow the directions on the course page rather than punching the address into GPS, as I was led to the wrong place by GPS.
If you are a sub-900 player like me, this is a great course to pair with the longer courses in the area to remind you that you're not terrible. It's no cakewalk, but the variety is refreshing, and you won't be taking a lot of tear-inducing triple bogeys here. Even if you are an advanced player, there is enough fun and challenge here to make it worth your while.

Lush Vibe

1    11/16/2013   11/19/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: There's not much in the way of ruins, but this place has an incredible feel to it. Approaching the first tee, it does not feel like Charlotte. It feels like somewhere much more tropical and with the name of the course, its not hard to evoke a central American vibe. Even in late fall, everything here is just so lush. It's unique and the area, and it helps make it an awesome place to play.

The signature moment for me was the tee on 2. You walk up staring down a path through the woods towards a giant oak. With the basket to the right of the tree, it's quite surreal and sets the tone for a great round. While there aren't much in the way of ruins, the vibe provided by the setting continues throughout the course.

But most of the reason that it's so great is because of the excellent fairway design. It's a course that is tougher than it looks. I walked up to every hole thinking I could hit the line. And I could have. There isn't a line there that an intermediate player can't hit. There are just tons of lines that intermediate players won't hit every time. The lines are there: they're just a little more narrow than they appear at first glance. Being off by inches can easily mean kicking off a tree.

The course plays mostly through those jungly woods, carving tight fairways that are a joy to throw on. For once, everything that needed to come down is down. There aren't any middle-of-the-fairway trees left hanging around. It's not quite as tough as Nevin, but it will challenge most players.

The best hole is probably nine, the second par four. It's short for a four but it dog legs sharply and the the tee is halfway down an incline, just before a drop off, meaning many an overzealous second shot will roll past the basket and out of putting range.

There isn't a ton of water but the creek hole(4) is also really nice. It's crossed at the tee but it winds around to the right, lurking, to catch any throws that aren't quite straight enough.

There are even a few open holes for those who like that sort of thing. It's really an awesome layout that should appeal to players of almost any skill level, played through an incredible atmosphere.
Cons: There's that half-fallen tree near the 1 tee. I assumed that it was a recent development until I returned here and saw the pictures of being like that in 2012. That seems a little dangerous. I guess it's fairly stable, having lain like that for a year, but I'm pretty sure it could come down suddenly. There's also a bit of barb wire in the creek on four that easy to not see. (I nearly didn't.)

Other than those two danger issues, the flaws are pretty minor here. The open hole break the flow a little bit, are less interesting and take players out of the jungle atmosphere.

There's a real long walk between 14 and 15 and that's also a tough transition to navigate. Typically the arrows here prevent any confusion, but that is a long way away from the arrow and it's very possible to be confused if you don't happen to notice the 16 basket on the way to 1.
Other Thoughts: It's not an especially long course, but it is a notably fun one. It's just six miles from Renaissance and pairing the roughed-edged slopes of that monster with the jungly fun of Plantation Ruins would be a sweet combination on an afternoon in any season.

Solid course

5+    9/9/2013   9/9/2013
Review By: fuzzbomb
Pros: This is a very good course that has challenged me as a beginner and an intermediate player. Tight fairways and well-planned obstacles make this course a lot of fun for those in my skill level. Play conservative, throw straight, and clock a decent score. As the course becomes more familiar it sets up nicely for higher risk/reward shots that can push your score up or down. Most holes are on the shorter side, but there are a couple opportunities to unleash a (not ultra) long drive if your accuracy is high.

It's a great course for a fast lone wolf round... I can walk it well under an hour.

Most tee pads have benches, and concrete tee pads are good sized.

All targets have a small green and white arrow beneath the basket pointing to the next tee pad making navigation easy for first-timers and those without a guide. Trust the arrow on hole 14! The 15th tee pad is directly behind the swings... you'll find it.

The course is mostly in the shade (except for 3, 14, the long walk to 15 and 17). There are some cool "ruins" adjacent to several holes... keep your eyes peeled.

The course is well maintained.
Cons: Trash cans are few.

In the summer the chiggers are *terrible*. If you carry a bag that you put on the ground or think you'll be off the fairway bug spray is a must... on your legs, your clothes and the bottom of your bag! First time I played here I left with about 40 chigger bites. Now I try to always bring a stool to put my bag on and only occasionally get a bite.

Other Thoughts: Plenty of room here for expansion! This course is on the edge of town and there is a lot of wildlife. Keep your eyes peeled for copperheads, they are here.

Enjoy the course. Potential is through the roof!

2-4    7/8/2012   3/31/2013
Review By: Mortis Canyon
Pros: Course is in a nice neighborhood patrolled by police often.
Well maintained course.
Technical, wooded course with a few open holes for variety.
Course is constantly being improved.
Good signage throughout the whole course. Easy to follow.
Amenities such as bathrooms, playground, etc.
Cons: Not very many courses around and for me its kinda of a drive living in Charlotte just to get there. Although, worth the drive and not a huge con. I also understand for others this may not be as huge of a concern.
Some holes on the back nine might have others in the way due to the amenities nearby.
Lack of benches and trash cans.
The transition from hole 14 to 15 was very confusing the first couple of times playing.
Some spots along the course can be damp and muddy even when there has been no rain. Drainage issue.
I don't have the big arm like some, but if you do, you don't have many opportunities at this course for that.
Other Thoughts: Course is challenging to me for the fact I'm not the best player out on the course. I favor wooded, technical courses over grip and rip anyway.

Sky's the limit regarding the potential this course has to be one of the best in the area.

It's cool that disc golf courses are expanding to all areas around Charlotte and Mecklenburg County.

While walking along the course, you will encounter some cool, old buildings.

Overall, I really enjoy the course....would recommend to anyone from Charlotte or not.

Fun, Technical course

1    7/8/2012   1/24/2013
Review By: catchermccord
Pros: -A tight course with many risk/reward holes
-Brand new baskets and tee pads
-Well maintained
-Good signage
-In a nice neighborhood near a park, police officer was parked in the parking lot
Cons: -Good place to eat some humble pie (which I did) if you're not accurate that day
-Not too many holes where you can pull out that distance driver
Other Thoughts: I am from Ohio and I visited this course while in Charlotte for Worlds in 2012. It was recently built so there was still some "grooming" that needed to be done. I am sure I made my mark in a few trees. This was a fun course though. I was spoiled by Hornet's Nest, Winthrop, and Renny Gold but I still enjoyed this round. It is a tightly wooded course for the most part. A lot of mid-range, putter shots to throw. Birdies are definitely out there but you will find yourself with a bogey sometimes. If you are in the area I would recommend playing here. My buddies and I actually played a round of doubles which seemed to fit this course pretty well.

Fun woodsy course

1    10/16/2012   11/16/2012
Review By: Aestheticflight
This review was updated on 8/31/2014
Pros: FUN, woodsy, easy to follow, good tees and nice benches at many pads. Not busy with other players when I played on a Sat. afternoon. Well maintained and the rough isn't all that rough so when you get off the tight fairways (and you will) you won't have to spend a lot of time to find your disc. Definitely a control type of course with short interesting holes. The topography adds some nice twists to many holes. I love a nice woods course and this one pleased me. Charlotte courses are unbiased to right or left handers and this course is like that too, something I like as well. I went with a couple guys who only play a couple of times a year and this course is perfect for that. It isn't too brutal to the novice although the holes are tight and challenging for all. Every town should have a course like this. I love Hornets Nest, Renaissance, The beavers, Wickham and many other of the great courses in the area but, I love this course as well. It isn't a big time or energy commitment to go here and play a couple of rounds. Great job and I praise the designers and the crew. I wish there were more Fun courses like this around.
Cons: I don't really see any unless you just have to have long open fairways to have a good time. If you hate a control type tight woods course... this is not the course for you. I suppose your pride could be damaged here because you didn't two every hole or get an ace, as a decent player might hope for.
Other Thoughts: I have done a bit of traveling and have played 180+ courses all over the country and I have a fairly good game. I Love the Big tough long bruiser courses but I also love to have FUN. This course was a lot of fun for me. I think every town should have a course like this. We need the big and the little, the long and the short tight courses in my opinion. I think it is great to have courses where the guy who may not have been blessed with the big gun arm can compete with those who do. There are many facets to the game of Disc golf and all are important. This course is humbling I believe. As I played this course I felt like I should have shot a 40 on a good day and that the top score in the Am Worlds played here this year would have been a 38 (or possibly lower with a couple of aces) but when I checked the scores on line the best score I saw posted was a 49 I believe. WOW I was surprised. Perhaps the poor 53 ( with two 4's) I shot the first and only time I played wasn't so embassing and disappointing as I believed at the time. Great job and my praise goes to the designers and workers for this great new addition to the Charlotte area Disc Golf courses. I love Charlotte Golf and I urge any serious player to make a trip there but don't be surprised if you can't play all the good courses there unless you have a week. Great job boys and girls! Thanks for yet another great course.

Short but fun

1    7/16/2012   10/16/2012
Review By: steven2361
Pros: The concrete tees and new baskets are great. All the holes are unique making this one of the best short courses I have played. There are some short par 4s too. You will learn how to accurately throw your putter if you play here often. Hole 2 has a good green. Hole 7 is a fun little double route hole. 8 has an interesting green. 9 is a fun but dangerous downhill hole. 11 is a cool hard dogleg right to a cool looking green surrounded by boulders. 13 is a great challenging uphill tunnel shot.
Cons: This is a short course. There are only a few holes you'd throw a driver on and none where you can throw a full drive. Some holes lack interest for me as they are pretty easy deuces like holes 1,3,4,5, 6, and 17. This course is designed for amateurs so don't come here expecting to get your butt whooped. It is a good course to bring beginners to.
Other Thoughts: Watch out of the bugsies here!

Something Different

1    7/14/2012   7/14/2012
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: This is an interesting little course in a nice park setting with a playground and picnic area near by. The course makes really good use of the land in this park and there is a surprisingly good variety to this course. There are nice new baskets and the tee pads are consistent. The tee signs are in good condition and provide good information. This is a course that has a high fun level and can be a really good course for all skill levels. There are really good signs to tell you where to go next. This course has some of the best shot variety of any course in the area and does a good job of mixing right and left turning holes. This is one of the few courses in the area that at least has a couple of places to throw overhead shots.
Cons: This is a very short course and a better player could probably play this course with only putters and mid range discs. There are places where different points in the course are close and could confuse you as to where you are supposed to go next, look at the signs. The few holes that they call a par 4 are really just long par 3's. There are a few long walks from one hole to the next.
Other Thoughts: This is probably one of my favorite short courses. It provides a great challenge and is really a good course. I played this course because I will be playing it at Worlds 2012 and I am not entirely sure that it is worthy of a worlds calibur course, but it will be a nice break from the other courses that we will play. If you are in Charlotte and not ready for the crazy challenge of some of the other courses, I highly reccomend this one. Be sure not to park near the pavillion and playground, it will be much easier to find hole 1 if you park in the other lot. It will also be a shorter walk to your car from 18 if you park in this lot.