Charlotte, NC
Plantation Ruins at Winget Share
Uploaded By: tom12003 Hole #5 (Taken 4/2012)

It won't ruin your day

1    12/19/2013   12/26/2013
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: Winget is not even two years old but is nicely broken in, without the annoying stray branches poking into the fairways or rough navigation that can detract from newer courses.
The variety is a breath of fresh air. Unlike other Charlotte courses, the wooded holes are combined with several more open holes. There aren't any huge hyzer distance holes where you can forget about your accuracy, but it's nice to have some holes that call for a full driver throw.
The elevation isn't massive, but there are mild changes on most holes, enough to change the way you approach the fairway. Hole 10 is a fun straight shot at a basket on a downslope, so ranging your shot is tough (I way overshot). Hole 17 is a pleasant downhill shot over a small valley. Hole 13 is a tough uphill tunnel shot that looks a lot like a hole on the other side of the country at Dexter (the one Feldberg aced in his youtube video).
There are a couple nice par 4 holes, and doglegs are used well, like many courses in the area.
I always enjoy courses that have some unusual or noteworthy features, even if they are not part of play. Here the course is set on an old plantation (thus the name) with brick remnants of the house's chimney and a kiln. At one point my guide (tom12003) said, "Oh, you ended up in the slave's quarters." I thought he meant I was in a tough place, but I actually was near the foundations of the old slave's housing.
Tee pads are concrete. Tee signs show the fairway shape and distance. I had a guide, so navigation wasn't an issue for me, but it looked pretty straightforward in most spots.
Cons: There was just one tee pad, so there is only one way to play the course. Not the end of the world.
The course is right next to a school, so if you are coming on a weekday you may want to avoid the dropoff and pickup times, as the entrance gets clogged.
There is a longish walk between holes 14 and 15. Look for the red playground equipment and walk past that.
I played on a weekday, so this might not be an issue on the weekend, but this wasn't one of the more serene courses in the area, if you are looking to get away from the noise. It certainly didn't bother me, though.
Other Thoughts: When I drove in here, I thought I was on the wrong road because I was driving through a very nice neighborhood with McMansions and well groomed yards, which I realized is not a very common sight near disc golf courses. On that note, follow the directions on the course page rather than punching the address into GPS, as I was led to the wrong place by GPS.
If you are a sub-900 player like me, this is a great course to pair with the longer courses in the area to remind you that you're not terrible. It's no cakewalk, but the variety is refreshing, and you won't be taking a lot of tear-inducing triple bogeys here. Even if you are an advanced player, there is enough fun and challenge here to make it worth your while.

Lush Vibe

1    11/16/2013   11/19/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: There's not much in the way of ruins, but this place has an incredible feel to it. Approaching the first tee, it does not feel like Charlotte. It feels like somewhere much more tropical and with the name of the course, its not hard to evoke a central American vibe. Even in late fall, everything here is just so lush. It's unique and the area, and it helps make it an awesome place to play.

The signature moment for me was the tee on 2. You walk up staring down a path through the woods towards a giant oak. With the basket to the right of the tree, it's quite surreal and sets the tone for a great round. While there aren't much in the way of ruins, the vibe provided by the setting continues throughout the course.

But most of the reason that it's so great is because of the excellent fairway design. It's a course that is tougher than it looks. I walked up to every hole thinking I could hit the line. And I could have. There isn't a line there that an intermediate player can't hit. There are just tons of lines that intermediate players won't hit every time. The lines are there: they're just a little more narrow than they appear at first glance. Being off by inches can easily mean kicking off a tree.

The course plays mostly through those jungly woods, carving tight fairways that are a joy to throw on. For once, everything that needed to come down is down. There aren't any middle-of-the-fairway trees left hanging around. It's not quite as tough as Nevin, but it will challenge most players.

The best hole is probably nine, the second par four. It's short for a four but it dog legs sharply and the the tee is halfway down an incline, just before a drop off, meaning many an overzealous second shot will roll past the basket and out of putting range.

There isn't a ton of water but the creek hole(4) is also really nice. It's crossed at the tee but it winds around to the right, lurking, to catch any throws that aren't quite straight enough.

There are even a few open holes for those who like that sort of thing. It's really an awesome layout that should appeal to players of almost any skill level, played through an incredible atmosphere.
Cons: There's that half-fallen tree near the 1 tee. I assumed that it was a recent development until I returned here and saw the pictures of being like that in 2012. That seems a little dangerous. I guess it's fairly stable, having lain like that for a year, but I'm pretty sure it could come down suddenly. There's also a bit of barb wire in the creek on four that easy to not see. (I nearly didn't.)

Other than those two danger issues, the flaws are pretty minor here. The open hole break the flow a little bit, are less interesting and take players out of the jungle atmosphere.

There's a real long walk between 14 and 15 and that's also a tough transition to navigate. Typically the arrows here prevent any confusion, but that is a long way away from the arrow and it's very possible to be confused if you don't happen to notice the 16 basket on the way to 1.
Other Thoughts: It's not an especially long course, but it is a notably fun one. It's just six miles from Renaissance and pairing the roughed-edged slopes of that monster with the jungly fun of Plantation Ruins would be a sweet combination on an afternoon in any season.

Solid course

5+    9/9/2013   9/9/2013
Review By: fuzzbomb
Pros: This is a very good course that has challenged me as a beginner and an intermediate player. Tight fairways and well-planned obstacles make this course a lot of fun for those in my skill level. Play conservative, throw straight, and clock a decent score. As the course becomes more familiar it sets up nicely for higher risk/reward shots that can push your score up or down. Most holes are on the shorter side, but there are a couple opportunities to unleash a (not ultra) long drive if your accuracy is high.

It's a great course for a fast lone wolf round... I can walk it well under an hour.

Most tee pads have benches, and concrete tee pads are good sized.

All targets have a small green and white arrow beneath the basket pointing to the next tee pad making navigation easy for first-timers and those without a guide. Trust the arrow on hole 14! The 15th tee pad is directly behind the swings... you'll find it.

The course is mostly in the shade (except for 3, 14, the long walk to 15 and 17). There are some cool "ruins" adjacent to several holes... keep your eyes peeled.

The course is well maintained.
Cons: Trash cans are few.

In the summer the chiggers are *terrible*. If you carry a bag that you put on the ground or think you'll be off the fairway bug spray is a must... on your legs, your clothes and the bottom of your bag! First time I played here I left with about 40 chigger bites. Now I try to always bring a stool to put my bag on and only occasionally get a bite.

Other Thoughts: Plenty of room here for expansion! This course is on the edge of town and there is a lot of wildlife. Keep your eyes peeled for copperheads, they are here.

Enjoy the course. Potential is through the roof!

2-4    7/8/2012   3/31/2013
Review By: Mortis Canyon
Pros: Course is in a nice neighborhood patrolled by police often.
Well maintained course.
Technical, wooded course with a few open holes for variety.
Course is constantly being improved.
Good signage throughout the whole course. Easy to follow.
Amenities such as bathrooms, playground, etc.
Cons: Not very many courses around and for me its kinda of a drive living in Charlotte just to get there. Although, worth the drive and not a huge con. I also understand for others this may not be as huge of a concern.
Some holes on the back nine might have others in the way due to the amenities nearby.
Lack of benches and trash cans.
The transition from hole 14 to 15 was very confusing the first couple of times playing.
Some spots along the course can be damp and muddy even when there has been no rain. Drainage issue.
I don't have the big arm like some, but if you do, you don't have many opportunities at this course for that.
Other Thoughts: Course is challenging to me for the fact I'm not the best player out on the course. I favor wooded, technical courses over grip and rip anyway.

Sky's the limit regarding the potential this course has to be one of the best in the area.

It's cool that disc golf courses are expanding to all areas around Charlotte and Mecklenburg County.

While walking along the course, you will encounter some cool, old buildings.

Overall, I really enjoy the course....would recommend to anyone from Charlotte or not.

Fun, Technical course

1    7/8/2012   1/24/2013
Review By: catchermccord
Pros: -A tight course with many risk/reward holes
-Brand new baskets and tee pads
-Well maintained
-Good signage
-In a nice neighborhood near a park, police officer was parked in the parking lot
Cons: -Good place to eat some humble pie (which I did) if you're not accurate that day
-Not too many holes where you can pull out that distance driver
Other Thoughts: I am from Ohio and I visited this course while in Charlotte for Worlds in 2012. It was recently built so there was still some "grooming" that needed to be done. I am sure I made my mark in a few trees. This was a fun course though. I was spoiled by Hornet's Nest, Winthrop, and Renny Gold but I still enjoyed this round. It is a tightly wooded course for the most part. A lot of mid-range, putter shots to throw. Birdies are definitely out there but you will find yourself with a bogey sometimes. If you are in the area I would recommend playing here. My buddies and I actually played a round of doubles which seemed to fit this course pretty well.

Fun woodsy course

1    10/16/2012   11/16/2012
Review By: Aestheticflight
Pros: FUN, woodsy, easy to follow, good tees and nice benches at many pads. Not busy with other players when I played on a Sat. afternoon. Well maintained and the rough isn't all that rough so when you get off the tight fairways (and you will) you won't have to spend a lot of time to find your disc. Definitely a control type of course with short interesting holes. The topography adds some nice twists to many holes. I love a nice woods course and this one pleased me. Charlotte courses are unbiased to right or left handers and this course is like that too, something I like as well. I went with a couple guys who only play a couple of times a year and this course is perfect for that. It isn't too brutal to the novice although the holes are tight and challenging for all. Every town should have a course like this. I love Hornets Nest, Renaissance, The beavers, Wickham and many other of the great courses in the area but, I love this course as well. It isn't a big time or energy commitment to go here and play a couple of rounds. Great job and I praise the designers and the crew. I wish there were more Fun courses like this around.
Cons: I don't really see any unless you just have to have long open fairways to have a good time. If you hate a control type tight woods course... this is not the course for you. I suppose your pride could be damaged here because you didn't two every hole or get an ace, as a decent player might hope for.
Other Thoughts: I have done a bit of traveling and have played 180+ courses all over the country and I have a fairly good game. I Love the Big tough long bruiser courses but I also love to have FUN. This course was a lot of fun for me. I think every town should have a course like this. We need the big and the little, the long and the short tight courses in my opinion. I think it is great to have courses where the guy who may not have been blessed with the big gun arm can compete with those who do. There are many facets to the game of Disc golf and all are important. This course is humbling I believe. As I played this course I felt like I should have shot a 40 on a good day and that the top score in the Am Worlds played here this year would have been a 38 (or possibly lower with a couple of aces) but when I checked the scores on line the best score I saw posted was a 49 I believe. WOW I was surprised. Perhaps the poor 53 ( with two 4's) I shot the first and only time I played wasn't so embassing and disappointing as I believed at the time. Great job and my praise goes to the designers and workers for this great new addition to the Charlotte area Disc Golf courses. I love Charlotte Golf and I urge any serious player to make a trip there but don't be surprised if you can't play all the good courses there unless you have a week. Great job boys and girls! Thanks for yet another great course.

Short but fun

1    7/16/2012   10/16/2012
Review By: steven2361
Pros: The concrete tees and new baskets are great. All the holes are unique making this one of the best short courses I have played. There are some short par 4s too. You will learn how to accurately throw your putter if you play here often. Hole 2 has a good green. Hole 7 is a fun little double route hole. 8 has an interesting green. 9 is a fun but dangerous downhill hole. 11 is a cool hard dogleg right to a cool looking green surrounded by boulders. 13 is a great challenging uphill tunnel shot.
Cons: This is a short course. There are only a few holes you'd throw a driver on and none where you can throw a full drive. Some holes lack interest for me as they are pretty easy deuces like holes 1,3,4,5, 6, and 17. This course is designed for amateurs so don't come here expecting to get your butt whooped. It is a good course to bring beginners to.
Other Thoughts: Watch out of the bugsies here!

Something Different

1    7/14/2012   7/14/2012
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: This is an interesting little course in a nice park setting with a playground and picnic area near by. The course makes really good use of the land in this park and there is a surprisingly good variety to this course. There are nice new baskets and the tee pads are consistent. The tee signs are in good condition and provide good information. This is a course that has a high fun level and can be a really good course for all skill levels. There are really good signs to tell you where to go next. This course has some of the best shot variety of any course in the area and does a good job of mixing right and left turning holes. This is one of the few courses in the area that at least has a couple of places to throw overhead shots.
Cons: This is a very short course and a better player could probably play this course with only putters and mid range discs. There are places where different points in the course are close and could confuse you as to where you are supposed to go next, look at the signs. The few holes that they call a par 4 are really just long par 3's. There are a few long walks from one hole to the next.
Other Thoughts: This is probably one of my favorite short courses. It provides a great challenge and is really a good course. I played this course because I will be playing it at Worlds 2012 and I am not entirely sure that it is worthy of a worlds calibur course, but it will be a nice break from the other courses that we will play. If you are in Charlotte and not ready for the crazy challenge of some of the other courses, I highly reccomend this one. Be sure not to park near the pavillion and playground, it will be much easier to find hole 1 if you park in the other lot. It will also be a shorter walk to your car from 18 if you park in this lot.

Short Fun

5+    7/7/2012   5/21/2012
Review By: Buschbacher
This review was updated on 7/9/2012
Pros: This is a fun quick course, the directional markers and flags in the trees are a must, can't imagine playing before these were added. Due to the short holes this is a fun course to play with your kids as distance doesn't come into play as often as some courses but still poses a bit of a challenge with the narrow fairways.
- benches on nearly hole and some work has definitely been done in prep for Worlds
Cons: - Beware of chiggers, the first couple times I played I was tore-up by those little s*$&#@...just make sure you use bug spray around your ankles and belt line and you should be good to go, played many times since with no more issues
- The terrain can easily lead to a muddy time. If there has been recent rain I would avoid this course as I have played after a couple days of clear skies and it was still a little messy.

Great Alternative

1    5/4/2012   5/5/2012
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Full 18 hole course tucked into a nice little park with playgrounds, swing sets, walking paths etc. Well done concrete pads and good signs at each hole. As stated in earlier reviews this course is mostly a technical wooded course. Depending on your skill level you could probably handle this course without ever using a driver. There are some holes that may play better with a driver, but not many.

There are 13 holes under 300' here so don't come here if you simply want to air out some high speed plastic. Especially since the longer holes are mostly nice wooded holes that require decent accuracy. Even though this is a wooded course there aren't any fairways that are unfair or brutally cluttered with random trees. Just fair lines, and some thick woods if you go astray. As with many Carolina courses the woods are thick in spots, and there are some thorns and vines to further hinder your attempts to get out of trouble.

There are next tee arrows on the baskets to help with navigation and some orange tape along paths to keep you from getting lost.
Cons: Mostly a 'short' course'. If you like some long, open holes you will be disappointed.

Navigation and flow was a little tricky. The course starts in the woods then heads to the more open holes before re-entering the woods. Later you go back to the open area. The walk from 14 to 15 is a little long and not real obvious. After 14 head towards the playground and swing sets, and look for the tee at the edge of the woods. No big deal, just not obvious.

No big elevation or long water carries. I guess in some cases this could be a positive, the more features a course haas the better IMO.
Other Thoughts: While most of the holes here were short there are a few very nice wooded holes that are listed at Par 4's. I'd debate whether they are really 4's or just tough 3's, but either way they are a nice addition to a shorter course, and force you to make several accurate shots to score well on those holes. They are almost like mini-Nevin or Iron Hill holes. I really liked them.

The holes that are mostly open out in the field are probably a little too open, or too short for highly skilled golfers. For new players they will be a nice break from the tight woods. If nothing else this may give people a decent place to practice if the course isn't busy.

Another redeeming quality of this course is that the pines, cedars and general appearance of the grounds and woods is just nice. At a few of the tees I stood there thinking that this might not be a great hole, but it is pretty. That, along with a decent opportunity to bag an Ace somewhere along the course makes this a worthy addition to the Charlotte scene. With Renny close by this course will be great for people with less time, or less of a desire for a beat down. I think it would also be a good place to work on your putter drives and control. Give it a try when you are in the area.