Charlotte, NC
Plantation Ruins at Winget Share
Uploaded By: tom12003 Hole #4 (Taken 4/2012)

Beginners Prospective

5+    8/16/2014   8/24/2014
Review By: lexxerd
This review was updated on 9/2/2014
Pros:
COURSE PLAY:
The course is very well laid out and a lot of fun to play. There is a good mix of left and right hole shots with some par 3 and par 4 holes. The course is primarily wooded but each hole is very open with very few narrow holes. There are several up hill and down hill holes which really keeps you on your toes. The course is great for summer play since you are in the shade for most of the course and you get to escape that Carolina heat! The OB and surrounding areas are fairly clear even in the spring/summer months which makes finding disc very easy. There are a few water hazards but they are small creeks that seems to be pretty much dried up most of the time. There are some really cool ruins within the woods that you will see as your journey through the course. Don't forget to bring some bug spray and watch out for spider webs when in the woods.

AMENITIES:
Winget has great detailed tee signage and benches at every hole. Tee signs are accurate and depict correct basket placement. Something I'd love to see more courses implement is the little arrow signs that are attached to the bottom of each basket pole to point you to the next hole. This was absolutely great for navigation. There is decent parking spaces and it is best to park by the basketball/soccer fields. The entrance to hole 1 will be to the right of the practice basket which is by the road to the parking lot. There are also available bathrooms and water fountains by the playground.

Cons: There is trash everywhere! There is broken glass and beer bottles all over the place. The lack of trash cans doesn't help. Next time I'm out at Plantation Ruins I am going to bring a trash bag and try to help out with this.

Other Thoughts: The walk from hole 14 to 15 can be confusing because of how far you have to walk. 15 starts to the right of the pink/red playground area just at the entrance of the woods.

Winget is one of my favorite courses in Charlotte! I highly suggest this course for any beginner to intermediate player.

Great Course - must try!

5+    8/2/2014   8/2/2014
Review By: Zaneism
Pros: I love playing new courses, and I got talked into this course because it was a little bit of a drive. I wanted to play Rankin Lake in Gastonia because it is close to my house. I went anyway and I was very pleased. I feel that there is a nice balance to this course when it comes to "par." Most golfers are going to shoot near par or a little above. This makes every shot count. At a lot of courses, shooting 8 or 9 over is average and that doesn't seem like the "par" is a real "par." Maybe I'm just not as good as most but at least with a course like this, everyone can enjoy it without feeling bad about their round. My girlfriend, who had never played disc golf, never even picked up a disc before loved it. She will probably be a disc golfer for life now because this course didn't intimidate her. There is a lot to be said for balance.
Cons: The first time out, I saw the practice basket but didn't know where to go from there. Obviously, it didn't take me long to figure it out, but I would like to see a kiosk or sign accenting the entrance. This course is deserving of some nice signage. Maybe even an archway to show where the path begins. I have read a lot of complaints about the length of the course and I completely understand it. I'm not the type of golfer that wants to be searching the woods for my disc all day after a bomb throw into the woods. However, the highlight of the course being short is that my friends who are just starting out, have a place that we can all enjoy. It is challenging enough for me to enjoy but short enough that they don't feel inadequate because they can't throw a disc 300ft.
Other Thoughts: I agree that the walk after #14 is a little long and could use some permanent signage but I really like it. It seems like every time I get to this walk, my buddies and I are talking junk about our scores and preparing for the last 4 holes. It's like the 7th inning stretch. It's an awesome time to reflect on how the round has gone and what you need out of these last 4 holes (which are all birdie opportunities!!)

Fun & Well Designed Course

2-4    7/7/2014   7/7/2014
Review By: Mike C
Pros: -All of the fairways have trees in play and force line shaping, yet there are obvious lines for every hole. Not a single hole feels like a poke and pray luck based shot.

-There are benches on every single hole. They are also placed well behind the teepad so you have plenty of room and will never feel cramped on a packed card.

-About 90% of the course is shaded from the warm Charlotte sun. This is very nice on a hot summer day.

-Most of the holes force turns within 200 to 250' of the tee. For someone like me who throws 400'+ this makes the course feel more technical, as I'm constantly having to adjust hyzer angles and power levels. It made me think a lot more than a more open course, or even a longer wooded course.

-There is a diverse range of lines demanded by the course. There is a fairly even mix of left and right turning holes, as well as straight shots and hyzer lines. In addition there are multiple degrees of hyzer required to hit the gaps. Some holes turn very sharply while others have a more gradual turn where a hyzer flip with a neutral disc that finishes straighter is more suitable.

-The overall feel of the course is that of one designed by disc golfers for disc golfers. Nothing about this course feels like an accident. The tees are quality, the benches and tee signs are never in the way of the tee box, the baskets are well marked and indicate the direction of the next hole, and none of the holes feel like they were designed by someone who doesn't know what he's doing. The land is well utilized.

-The course is scenic, with well manicured open holes and well defined wooded holes through mature woods. There are a few interesting ruins to look at, and the entire course has a fragrant pine smell.

-The course is very easy to navigate and flows very well.
Cons: -The majority of the holes are under 325', and while they are wooded the fairways are defined enough to not be very punishing. As a more advanced player I do not feel very challenged at this course, though it also it doesn't feel like a walk in the park. I think having two or three more holes pushing 400'-450' would appeal to skilled players.

-The teepads are just a bit shorter than optimum. It was never an issue while throwing but it was in the back if my mind while playing. I'm used to tee's that offer another 10-20 inches of length, but for how short the holes are at Winget they are suitable. I will say they were all flat and level, and the edges do no poke out of the ground and present tripping hazards.

-While 16 of the 18 holes flow well and are easy to navigate, there are two minor issues. Hole 1 could be marked a little better, it can be confusing finding it your first time because its hidden from the road while other holes are well exposed to the entrance. Second, there is a walk from 14 to 15 across a playground and pavilion. It is easy to navigate, but with the rest of the course flowing exceptionally well its tough to not notice this ~400' trek to #15.

-My second round here I saw a pretty large snake. It didn't appear to be a poisonous specie but it was a bigger snake than I had seen in my 5 years of golfing in NE Ohio, so it stood out to me.
Other Thoughts: This is a very good course overall. While Charlotte does feature longer, more demanding courses such as Renaissance Gold, Winget is a very solid 18 hole course that's worth playing if you are in the area. What it lacks in challenge it makes up for in exceptional flow, variety and solid overall design.

This is my current home course and compared to my previous home course (Arboretum in Canton, OH) I feel it places more emphasis on control and line shaping as opposed to the raw distance Arboretum asked for. If I were to compare it to a course I'm familiar with, I'd say it reminds me of a flatter Oak Ledges (Massillon, OH) without the length of holes #1, #14 & #17.

There's not much else to say other than re-iterating my point that this feels like a course designed by experienced designers who have played the game. It is a well thought-out design that demands a variety of lines to consistently score birdies while keeping a very high fun factor.

My Home Course

5+    9/1/2012   9/1/2012
Review By: PhatPatW
Pros: Nice shorter course in south Charlotte that I call my home course. What I like most is that it is average in challenge but its a fun walk in the woods with very cool old buildings in the woods.
Cons: It has some open holes that are less challenging and there are lots of par 3's that don't make this a super challenging course.
Other Thoughts: Worth the trip to play you can definitely play in 45min or less by yourself or 55min with a partner.

It's about control

5+    7/4/2012   7/5/2012
Review By: iha8it4u
Pros: Fun course where accuracy is more important than long drives. You really can get smacked with a double bogey if you try to "go for it" and miss! Short course, you can get a quick round in if you stay out of the woods!
Cool old brick ruins from plantation house.
Cons: This is a new course there are a lot of stumps and roots to trip on. A little tough to find the next hole in a few places. I finally noticed the arrows hanging below the baskets, follow them. The baskets are less forgiving than Innova baskets. I was denied a few putts.
Other Thoughts: This course is constantly being improved, every time I come there is a new bench or some other amenity. Great work!

In it for winget

1    4/14/2012   7/4/2012
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 4/24/2014
Pros: Winget is a fantastic course that is mostly technical with a few holes that are open. It is pretty and keeps getting better and better.
The course has teepads which came two months after this course was open. Now there are a few benches and on every basket there are arrows pointing you to the next hole.
Every hole is birdieable if you can throw about 315' but it can be challenging because some fairways can be tough to hit since it's heavily wooded. The par 3's around 300' are open so that's great for beginners and intermediates so you can bomb a big shot and had no trees are really in the way.
I like that hole 8 was moved! When I played it, it was only 330" feet long and was an easy 3 (which is a birdie). Now it's a little longer and a wee more challenging. This hole IS a dogleg right.
Every par 4 has an interesting design. #9 starts off uphill and allows a nice hyzer because after 210 feet, it has a nasty left turn. It's a dogleg left. Now #12 is a little bit uphill and it's a dogleg left like number 9. Although it's longer, it's easier and doesn't have such a tricky approach shot. Although the approach shot is at least 245' feet long, it's not too hard to get to the dancefloor. This hole does require a hyzer if you want a birdie. The par 4's may look kinda easy on the media here, but they are pretty tricky.
15 and 16 are pretty easy ace runs which are technical but 15 you should be able to get close on it if you are an intermediate. It's slightly downhill and it's a great birdie opprotunity. 16 is uphill and a little bit more challenging than 15 but still pretty sweet. It's uphill and trees are straight ahead of the tee. The opening is pretty big and it's a little to the right. A right hand backhand (RHBH) is what #16 insists if you want a birdie. I birdied it but I made a lucky 30 foot putt.
This course does have a good bit of elevation. There is a dropoff on holes 9 and 10 and it makes the holes a little harder because the baskets are on the dropoff and if you miss a putt or go to deep then you will be lucky if you make your uphill putt.

Cons: I hate to say this but there were some cons here at Winget. Hole 6 needs a little bit of clearing out to the right and still a sidearm is the throw that will give you a birdie.
There are also a lot of stumps on the course so watch where you are going and the fallin' tree in front of #1 was ridiculous.
The walk from 14-15 was a bit annoying and I agree with BrotherDave here saying that they should have made a par 5 for #14. That would be cool.
I think everything else at Winget is great.
Other Thoughts: I love this course because it has everything you can ask for. Except a par 5 but there are ace runs, holes requiring distance, wooded holes, open holes, downhill, uphill, you name it. There is a lot of variety.

Hole by hole

#1. Not the best starting hole on the course since there is a fallin' tree a few feet ahead but it's pretty open and requires a hyzer.
#2. This one is sidearm friendly since there is water to the left of the fairway.
#3. Pretty sweet hole that allows you to give it a nice drive from the tee. It's also downhill and any throw will do.
#4. Very cool design, but very easy. Sidearm and this is pretty much a snap.
#5. One of the best here at Winget. This isn't long but pretty narrow, This goes left, RHBH is needed from the tee.
#6. Downhill a pretty good bit and the basket is a little bit to the right. So sidearm is necessary. I got robbed on this hole by my rhino going in the basket and got out. Drops about -15'
#7. Tree in the middle of the fairway, which makes this a little bit challenging, throw to the left side of it or rightside. Sidearmers like this.
#8. When I played this, it was only 330 feet long, it's a dogleg right so getting to the landing zone is good enough.
#9. Strange par 4, although it's short, it's tricky and it requires a big hyzer because it's uphill and it's a dogleg left. Basket is on the dropoff. First gains +16 feet then drops -16 feet.
#10. Short and sweet and downhill once you get to the dropoff. Drivers turn a lot here. Use a midrange. This is my favorite on the course and has a -10 foot drop.
#11. Steep uphill, +14? and one of the coolest par 3's I have played. It turns to the right and the green is on rocks. Sidearm and use whatever turns the most for you.
#12. Best par 4 on the course! It's the longest and is a dogleg left. It's a very short distance to the landing zone, give it a hyzer.
#13. Challenging and really interesting, it's not long and it's straight but felt like throwing up a wall (Like Bradley on 14 except not as hard) +19? Very cool view from basket to tee.
#14. Another hole in the field that requires distance.
#15. Allows any throw, another narrow ace run.
#16. Another ace run, it's short and has a few lines but they are narrow to throw through and requires RHBH. Gains +9
#17. Nicely downhill and one of my favorite on the course as it is in perfect shape. It's not super long but longer than most par 3's here. I met a guy who aced this hole and it was awesome.
#18. Sidearm friendly and in the woods. The basket is on a hill. Pretty narrow.

I loved this course and it is one of the best in Charlotte. If you play in Charlotte and havent played here then you don't know what you are missing.

Excellent Course

1    3/16/2012   3/16/2012
Review By: jblack
Pros: good mix of distance and technical holes.
This course is very decieving...you think it's gonna be easy then BAM! you don't hit your line and now you are throwing for par or bogey. The new concrete tee pads make this course much better. It's also in a nice area and I found it easy to get to.

Laying in wait for you on this course are Aces!! I just saw hole #16 aced today by Barry Black (my uncle) and he is not a pro. There are plenty of aceable holes but if you are off line those aces turn into bogeys quick.
Cons: Course markings are sketchy (you have distance markers but on some of the holes you can't see the basket from the tee and that makes it interesting.

This course looks like it can get very muddy after a good rain so bring and extra pair of shoes. The grass/moss in some areas is thick so make sure you use bright colored discs...summertime grass will probably eat up some discs.
Other Thoughts: this course is fun to play...I'm already looking forward to going back. Good job on the layout guys.

The Ruins is a Gem in the Queen City.

The magical mystery tour...

1    2/27/2012   3/1/2012
Review By: dandaman
Pros: -Beautiful Mach V baskets
-Beautiful park setting
-Enchanting forrest
-Good flow
Cons: -Poor drainage
-Some of the holes are a bit average and tame
-there are not many other parks like this (this is a not a con for this course but for disc golf in general)
Other Thoughts: This course was a real joy to play. I actually found it to be one of the best times that I have ever had on a disc golf course. The first few holes are eh...The last few holes are eh...But from holes 6-13 it is truly one of the most intriquing courses that I have been on. Something about the plantation ruin forrest that had a strange but welcoming vibe. It really cannot be easily explained but I found myself enjoying a great round of golf. It was not because of the way I was scoring, but rather it was because I was enjoying my surroundings. I scored well for playing the course blind, but the course is relatively easy. Pictures and words do not give this course justice. It must be experienced to be truly appreciated.

The Blue Ridge of Charlotte Disc Golf

1    2/17/2012   2/17/2012
Review By: pmaxhen
This review was updated on 3/10/2012
Pros: -Good mix of straight shots and doglegs, wood are tough but forgiving.
-Good flow
-easy navigation, signs on every basket point you to the next tee box which currently have two white stakes.
-best scenery I've seen on any course I've played yet.
-Lots of foot traffic on the course and so far they have made it easy to walk minus two or three spots back in the woods.
Cons: Nothing that they don't plan to fix, these guys have worked hard at designing the best of the best, Tee boxes coming soon!
-Signs! It's tough to play a course when there's no way of telling what par a hole is.
Other Thoughts: I've play a few disc golf course in the area including brackets bluff and this course stands tall on the list of Charlotte disc golf course. I can't wait to play this one again!

Plantation Ruins

5+    1/18/2012   1/18/2012
Review By: tom12003
This review was updated on 11/17/2012
Pros: Caveat--I should not be reviewing this course as I spend almost 900 hours of work in establishing it!

If you are not a bomber and focus on finesse shots, you should enjoy the course. Hit your line, birdies abound, miss your line and scramble for a par, bogey or worse. As the previous review commented, the course gives you an eerie, but pleasant, feeling.

As the course is less than 7 miles from Renny, it should be a great warm-up for the beast (or a relaxation afterwards). Easy, 2-course, one day play.
Cons: Heck--its a new course; still plenty to do. Hoping for concrete tee pads in Spring (will be fully polished for the 2012 Worlds). UPDATE--its shining (and was during the Worlds)
Other Thoughts: 1978's review was based on our day-after-Thanksgiving traveler basket test play. We addressed his cons. Course was polished for the Worlds.

World's results proved that this course had a bunch of short but sharp teeth. I have to raise my initial 3.5 rating to 4.0 because of hot it played during the Worlds.