Charlotte, NC
Plantation Ruins at Winget Share
Uploaded By: skinnylimbs Hole #8 (Taken 1/2012)

Fun, Technical course

1    7/8/2012   1/24/2013
Review By: catchermccord
Pros: -A tight course with many risk/reward holes
-Brand new baskets and tee pads
-Well maintained
-Good signage
-In a nice neighborhood near a park, police officer was parked in the parking lot
Cons: -Good place to eat some humble pie (which I did) if you're not accurate that day
-Not too many holes where you can pull out that distance driver
Other Thoughts: I am from Ohio and I visited this course while in Charlotte for Worlds in 2012. It was recently built so there was still some "grooming" that needed to be done. I am sure I made my mark in a few trees. This was a fun course though. I was spoiled by Hornet's Nest, Winthrop, and Renny Gold but I still enjoyed this round. It is a tightly wooded course for the most part. A lot of mid-range, putter shots to throw. Birdies are definitely out there but you will find yourself with a bogey sometimes. If you are in the area I would recommend playing here. My buddies and I actually played a round of doubles which seemed to fit this course pretty well.

Fun woodsy course

1    10/16/2012   11/16/2012
Review By: Aestheticflight
This review was updated on 8/31/2014
Pros: FUN, woodsy, easy to follow, good tees and nice benches at many pads. Not busy with other players when I played on a Sat. afternoon. Well maintained and the rough isn't all that rough so when you get off the tight fairways (and you will) you won't have to spend a lot of time to find your disc. Definitely a control type of course with short interesting holes. The topography adds some nice twists to many holes. I love a nice woods course and this one pleased me. Charlotte courses are unbiased to right or left handers and this course is like that too, something I like as well. I went with a couple guys who only play a couple of times a year and this course is perfect for that. It isn't too brutal to the novice although the holes are tight and challenging for all. Every town should have a course like this. I love Hornets Nest, Renaissance, The beavers, Wickham and many other of the great courses in the area but, I love this course as well. It isn't a big time or energy commitment to go here and play a couple of rounds. Great job and I praise the designers and the crew. I wish there were more Fun courses like this around.
Cons: I don't really see any unless you just have to have long open fairways to have a good time. If you hate a control type tight woods course... this is not the course for you. I suppose your pride could be damaged here because you didn't two every hole or get an ace, as a decent player might hope for.
Other Thoughts: I have done a bit of traveling and have played 180+ courses all over the country and I have a fairly good game. I Love the Big tough long bruiser courses but I also love to have FUN. This course was a lot of fun for me. I think every town should have a course like this. We need the big and the little, the long and the short tight courses in my opinion. I think it is great to have courses where the guy who may not have been blessed with the big gun arm can compete with those who do. There are many facets to the game of Disc golf and all are important. This course is humbling I believe. As I played this course I felt like I should have shot a 40 on a good day and that the top score in the Am Worlds played here this year would have been a 38 (or possibly lower with a couple of aces) but when I checked the scores on line the best score I saw posted was a 49 I believe. WOW I was surprised. Perhaps the poor 53 ( with two 4's) I shot the first and only time I played wasn't so embassing and disappointing as I believed at the time. Great job and my praise goes to the designers and workers for this great new addition to the Charlotte area Disc Golf courses. I love Charlotte Golf and I urge any serious player to make a trip there but don't be surprised if you can't play all the good courses there unless you have a week. Great job boys and girls! Thanks for yet another great course.

Short but fun

1    7/16/2012   10/16/2012
Review By: steven2361
Pros: The concrete tees and new baskets are great. All the holes are unique making this one of the best short courses I have played. There are some short par 4s too. You will learn how to accurately throw your putter if you play here often. Hole 2 has a good green. Hole 7 is a fun little double route hole. 8 has an interesting green. 9 is a fun but dangerous downhill hole. 11 is a cool hard dogleg right to a cool looking green surrounded by boulders. 13 is a great challenging uphill tunnel shot.
Cons: This is a short course. There are only a few holes you'd throw a driver on and none where you can throw a full drive. Some holes lack interest for me as they are pretty easy deuces like holes 1,3,4,5, 6, and 17. This course is designed for amateurs so don't come here expecting to get your butt whooped. It is a good course to bring beginners to.
Other Thoughts: Watch out of the bugsies here!

My Home Course

5+    9/1/2012   9/1/2012
Review By: PhatPatW
Pros: Nice shorter course in south Charlotte that I call my home course. What I like most is that it is average in challenge but its a fun walk in the woods with very cool old buildings in the woods.
Cons: It has some open holes that are less challenging and there are lots of par 3's that don't make this a super challenging course.
Other Thoughts: Worth the trip to play you can definitely play in 45min or less by yourself or 55min with a partner.

Something Different

1    7/14/2012   7/14/2012
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: This is an interesting little course in a nice park setting with a playground and picnic area near by. The course makes really good use of the land in this park and there is a surprisingly good variety to this course. There are nice new baskets and the tee pads are consistent. The tee signs are in good condition and provide good information. This is a course that has a high fun level and can be a really good course for all skill levels. There are really good signs to tell you where to go next. This course has some of the best shot variety of any course in the area and does a good job of mixing right and left turning holes. This is one of the few courses in the area that at least has a couple of places to throw overhead shots.
Cons: This is a very short course and a better player could probably play this course with only putters and mid range discs. There are places where different points in the course are close and could confuse you as to where you are supposed to go next, look at the signs. The few holes that they call a par 4 are really just long par 3's. There are a few long walks from one hole to the next.
Other Thoughts: This is probably one of my favorite short courses. It provides a great challenge and is really a good course. I played this course because I will be playing it at Worlds 2012 and I am not entirely sure that it is worthy of a worlds calibur course, but it will be a nice break from the other courses that we will play. If you are in Charlotte and not ready for the crazy challenge of some of the other courses, I highly reccomend this one. Be sure not to park near the pavillion and playground, it will be much easier to find hole 1 if you park in the other lot. It will also be a shorter walk to your car from 18 if you park in this lot.

It's about control

5+    7/4/2012   7/5/2012
Review By: iha8it4u
Pros: Fun course where accuracy is more important than long drives. You really can get smacked with a double bogey if you try to "go for it" and miss! Short course, you can get a quick round in if you stay out of the woods!
Cool old brick ruins from plantation house.
Cons: This is a new course there are a lot of stumps and roots to trip on. A little tough to find the next hole in a few places. I finally noticed the arrows hanging below the baskets, follow them. The baskets are less forgiving than Innova baskets. I was denied a few putts.
Other Thoughts: This course is constantly being improved, every time I come there is a new bench or some other amenity. Great work!

In it for winget

1    4/14/2012   7/4/2012
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 4/24/2014
Pros: Winget is a fantastic course that is mostly technical with a few holes that are open. It is pretty and keeps getting better and better.
The course has teepads which came two months after this course was open. Now there are a few benches and on every basket there are arrows pointing you to the next hole.
Every hole is birdieable if you can throw about 315' but it can be challenging because some fairways can be tough to hit since it's heavily wooded. The par 3's around 300' are open so that's great for beginners and intermediates so you can bomb a big shot and had no trees are really in the way.
I like that hole 8 was moved! When I played it, it was only 330" feet long and was an easy 3 (which is a birdie). Now it's a little longer and a wee more challenging. This hole IS a dogleg right.
Every par 4 has an interesting design. #9 starts off uphill and allows a nice hyzer because after 210 feet, it has a nasty left turn. It's a dogleg left. Now #12 is a little bit uphill and it's a dogleg left like number 9. Although it's longer, it's easier and doesn't have such a tricky approach shot. Although the approach shot is at least 245' feet long, it's not too hard to get to the dancefloor. This hole does require a hyzer if you want a birdie. The par 4's may look kinda easy on the media here, but they are pretty tricky.
15 and 16 are pretty easy ace runs which are technical but 15 you should be able to get close on it if you are an intermediate. It's slightly downhill and it's a great birdie opprotunity. 16 is uphill and a little bit more challenging than 15 but still pretty sweet. It's uphill and trees are straight ahead of the tee. The opening is pretty big and it's a little to the right. A right hand backhand (RHBH) is what #16 insists if you want a birdie. I birdied it but I made a lucky 30 foot putt.
This course does have a good bit of elevation. There is a dropoff on holes 9 and 10 and it makes the holes a little harder because the baskets are on the dropoff and if you miss a putt or go to deep then you will be lucky if you make your uphill putt.

Cons: I hate to say this but there were some cons here at Winget. Hole 6 needs a little bit of clearing out to the right and still a sidearm is the throw that will give you a birdie.
There are also a lot of stumps on the course so watch where you are going and the fallin' tree in front of #1 was ridiculous.
The walk from 14-15 was a bit annoying and I agree with BrotherDave here saying that they should have made a par 5 for #14. That would be cool.
I think everything else at Winget is great.
Other Thoughts: I love this course because it has everything you can ask for. Except a par 5 but there are ace runs, holes requiring distance, wooded holes, open holes, downhill, uphill, you name it. There is a lot of variety.

Hole by hole

#1. Not the best starting hole on the course since there is a fallin' tree a few feet ahead but it's pretty open and requires a hyzer.
#2. This one is sidearm friendly since there is water to the left of the fairway.
#3. Pretty sweet hole that allows you to give it a nice drive from the tee. It's also downhill and any throw will do.
#4. Very cool design, but very easy. Sidearm and this is pretty much a snap.
#5. One of the best here at Winget. This isn't long but pretty narrow, This goes left, RHBH is needed from the tee.
#6. Downhill a pretty good bit and the basket is a little bit to the right. So sidearm is necessary. I got robbed on this hole by my rhino going in the basket and got out. Drops about -15'
#7. Tree in the middle of the fairway, which makes this a little bit challenging, throw to the left side of it or rightside. Sidearmers like this.
#8. When I played this, it was only 330 feet long, it's a dogleg right so getting to the landing zone is good enough.
#9. Strange par 4, although it's short, it's tricky and it requires a big hyzer because it's uphill and it's a dogleg left. Basket is on the dropoff. First gains +16 feet then drops -16 feet.
#10. Short and sweet and downhill once you get to the dropoff. Drivers turn a lot here. Use a midrange. This is my favorite on the course and has a -10 foot drop.
#11. Steep uphill, +14? and one of the coolest par 3's I have played. It turns to the right and the green is on rocks. Sidearm and use whatever turns the most for you.
#12. Best par 4 on the course! It's the longest and is a dogleg left. It's a very short distance to the landing zone, give it a hyzer.
#13. Challenging and really interesting, it's not long and it's straight but felt like throwing up a wall (Like Bradley on 14 except not as hard) +19? Very cool view from basket to tee.
#14. Another hole in the field that requires distance.
#15. Allows any throw, another narrow ace run.
#16. Another ace run, it's short and has a few lines but they are narrow to throw through and requires RHBH. Gains +9
#17. Nicely downhill and one of my favorite on the course as it is in perfect shape. It's not super long but longer than most par 3's here. I met a guy who aced this hole and it was awesome.
#18. Sidearm friendly and in the woods. The basket is on a hill. Pretty narrow.

I loved this course and it is one of the best in Charlotte. If you play in Charlotte and havent played here then you don't know what you are missing.

Fun course

2-4    5/26/2012   5/26/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
This review was updated on 7/7/2014
Pros: This course is unique in it's feel. The trees, underbrush, and overall growth seem like they are out of place in charlotte.

The pads and teesigns are very nice.

I like the technical yet short aspect of this course because it requires you to hit your line and take the 2 or if you miss you are in some ddddeeeepppp mess.

It is a good course to get players started in the sport because it teaches
Cons: Lack of benches and trashcans

The transitions can be long and confusing for first time players. Specifically the 14-15 transition stands out in my mind.

i am not a big fan of Tweener Holes that seem to be too easy to be 4's but hard to be 3's and there are 2 of those on this course.

There are alot of roots/vines that are all over some of the fairways that can easily trip you up. I realize that removing these would take waaayyy to much work and would be an impossible task but that does not mean they are not there.

The rough is still very thick in places which will change as its beat down
Other Thoughts: This course is still growing and will only be improved with time. I have heard rumors of expansion post worlds which will only make this course better and I can only imagine how challenging it will be.

This course is definatly worth your time if you are in town and is a good unique compliment to the other courses in charlotte

Short Fun

5+    7/7/2012   5/21/2012
Review By: Buschbacher
This review was updated on 7/9/2012
Pros: This is a fun quick course, the directional markers and flags in the trees are a must, can't imagine playing before these were added. Due to the short holes this is a fun course to play with your kids as distance doesn't come into play as often as some courses but still poses a bit of a challenge with the narrow fairways.
- benches on nearly hole and some work has definitely been done in prep for Worlds
Cons: - Beware of chiggers, the first couple times I played I was tore-up by those little s*$&#@...just make sure you use bug spray around your ankles and belt line and you should be good to go, played many times since with no more issues
- The terrain can easily lead to a muddy time. If there has been recent rain I would avoid this course as I have played after a couple days of clear skies and it was still a little messy.

Great Alternative

1    5/4/2012   5/5/2012
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Full 18 hole course tucked into a nice little park with playgrounds, swing sets, walking paths etc. Well done concrete pads and good signs at each hole. As stated in earlier reviews this course is mostly a technical wooded course. Depending on your skill level you could probably handle this course without ever using a driver. There are some holes that may play better with a driver, but not many.

There are 13 holes under 300' here so don't come here if you simply want to air out some high speed plastic. Especially since the longer holes are mostly nice wooded holes that require decent accuracy. Even though this is a wooded course there aren't any fairways that are unfair or brutally cluttered with random trees. Just fair lines, and some thick woods if you go astray. As with many Carolina courses the woods are thick in spots, and there are some thorns and vines to further hinder your attempts to get out of trouble.

There are next tee arrows on the baskets to help with navigation and some orange tape along paths to keep you from getting lost.
Cons: Mostly a 'short' course'. If you like some long, open holes you will be disappointed.

Navigation and flow was a little tricky. The course starts in the woods then heads to the more open holes before re-entering the woods. Later you go back to the open area. The walk from 14 to 15 is a little long and not real obvious. After 14 head towards the playground and swing sets, and look for the tee at the edge of the woods. No big deal, just not obvious.

No big elevation or long water carries. I guess in some cases this could be a positive, the more features a course haas the better IMO.
Other Thoughts: While most of the holes here were short there are a few very nice wooded holes that are listed at Par 4's. I'd debate whether they are really 4's or just tough 3's, but either way they are a nice addition to a shorter course, and force you to make several accurate shots to score well on those holes. They are almost like mini-Nevin or Iron Hill holes. I really liked them.

The holes that are mostly open out in the field are probably a little too open, or too short for highly skilled golfers. For new players they will be a nice break from the tight woods. If nothing else this may give people a decent place to practice if the course isn't busy.

Another redeeming quality of this course is that the pines, cedars and general appearance of the grounds and woods is just nice. At a few of the tees I stood there thinking that this might not be a great hole, but it is pretty. That, along with a decent opportunity to bag an Ace somewhere along the course makes this a worthy addition to the Charlotte scene. With Renny close by this course will be great for people with less time, or less of a desire for a beat down. I think it would also be a good place to work on your putter drives and control. Give it a try when you are in the area.