Charlotte, NC
Plantation Ruins at Winget Share
Uploaded By: skinnylimbs Hole #9 (Taken 1/2012)

1 2 3 Next >
 Bring your Whippet to Winget

1    2/15/2012   3/1/2012
This review was updated on 3/4/2012
Pros: 1) There are true Par 4's that are in the 300' range . . . that doesn't happen all too often. It is something that I think should be used more frequently on other courses because it takes less land but increases the challenge.

2) I love tight wooded holes and this course has so many good tight holes it is hard not to love the course.

3) For being a course set on a tight wooded property there is a lot of variety of shots needed here. You need to play a lot of layups or really risk getting into some punishing spots. I threw a lot of mid-ranges for drives but I also went for some of the harder drives with my drivers. I had 3 birdies and 3 bogeys so I was pretty happy about that score of 57.

4) Practice basket is available on the way to the 1st tee from the parking lot. I kindof like that it was a little bit removed from the course itself.

5) Look for the white posts that help to mark the tees (and have the distances listed) and also some directionals that help guide you through the course.

6) I took a lot of pictures of all of the unique rock formations and cool green ideas. I love this aspect because I feel it is something we are missing in Wisconsin.

7) Mach V baskets with the Blades running around the top . . . those are pretty attractive and somewhat functional additions to the baskets. I would prefer a number plate still be in place, but can understand how the # plate can actually save bad putts . . . this setup will not help anyone out.

8) Another case of a course leaving something old on the property and how attractive it is to me. There is an old shed on #12 I think that just gives the feeling of walking through the woods an interesting feeling. It feels like I am trespassing on some bootleggers property during prohibition (ok it can just feel like a shed too, but my imagination can go out there sometimes).

9) The effective distances on this course make the holes play different. There are a lot of holes in the 200' range but they feel like they play between 200-350' in effective distance because of obstacles and turns in the fairway and how tight the holes are. This surprised me that they played so differently but it says something about the hole layouts for sure.

10) This is a beginner friendly course despite it's tightness . . . the holes are plenty short to allow for beginners to not have to struggle through a bunch of 6's, 7's and higher because even if they throw two bad shots they will still be able to save a 4 or a 5 without much issue. The rough areas typically punish you by 1 shot and that is about it.

11) There is a type of groundcover (it may be mint of some sort) that is really attractive. I doubt it will withstand the traffic from Worlds but it is cool to see against a drab leafless landscape. It also helps to cover the ground and keep the place from being just mud.
Cons: 1) I played this course pretty early on in its existence. It didn't feel like it needed a lot of break-in to be ready because it seemed well done right off the bat, but I imagine it will be a little cleaner and more well played in the coming months preceding Worlds. There are plenty of things that I know will eventually be resolved, but they need to give the course a little time before attacking everything.

2) Teepads are still dirt. I am writing this only for full disclosure of when I played the course . . .but I know the concrete is on its way so I will adjust this when I see it has been completed and I will not deduct from the course rating because of this.

3) There are still a few rough spots off of the fairways, but I am not sure if that is due to me throwing in bad spots or if there were a lot of these spots all over the course.

4) There are a few areas that will need some draintile or surface drainage work done to help move the water along. I don't think it had to do with my timing, I think there are just a few pockets that will retain water for a while.

5) The course is very RHFH or LHBH friendly . . . and can punish you if you do not have a diverse arsenal. This is different than most courses which tend to be hyzer friendly for right-handed throwers.

6) No trash cans that I could see so far but I am sure they will be including these too with all of the amenities that go with typical Charlotte area disc golf.

7) No tee-signs yet other than the posts, but I am sure those will be in shortly also. Again a factor of how recently this course was opened so I cannot take away from the courses rating for this being lacking . . . only because I know they will be put in.
Other Thoughts: This is a great short technical course that should be played by anyone travelling to the area. I had a lot of fun trying to execute all of these shots and I enjoyed the scenery and the "ambiance" that these wooded holes exudes. They have done a lot of work in a short time and I am sure they will continue to improve it. The amenities will go in and this will be another solid 4 disc course but as it is right now I can only give it a 3.5 i am sure I will be back to Charlotte sometime so I will try to pay attention to other peoples reviews and if the courses has done some more work and improved I will update my review.

The magical mystery tour...

1    2/27/2012   3/1/2012
Review By: dandaman
Pros: -Beautiful Mach V baskets
-Beautiful park setting
-Enchanting forrest
-Good flow
Cons: -Poor drainage
-Some of the holes are a bit average and tame
-there are not many other parks like this (this is a not a con for this course but for disc golf in general)
Other Thoughts: This course was a real joy to play. I actually found it to be one of the best times that I have ever had on a disc golf course. The first few holes are eh...The last few holes are eh...But from holes 6-13 it is truly one of the most intriquing courses that I have been on. Something about the plantation ruin forrest that had a strange but welcoming vibe. It really cannot be easily explained but I found myself enjoying a great round of golf. It was not because of the way I was scoring, but rather it was because I was enjoying my surroundings. I scored well for playing the course blind, but the course is relatively easy. Pictures and words do not give this course justice. It must be experienced to be truly appreciated.

short and sweet

5+    2/22/2012   2/27/2012
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: nice park on the south side of charlotte, not too far from renny. brand new baskets ...mach 5's with a orange band on the top with hole #'s and the name of the course on top. i like the baskets...good change of pace from the innova disc catchers you see everywhere else in charlotte. tight lines are required to tame this new track, and alot of sidearm holes on the front 9. it reminds me of elon shorts but with way cooler woods and elevation. the land used for the course is rugged, alot of vines and dead trees are scattered through out. the course gets better every time i get out here. alot of work has been done to help you navigate around the course. should be really easy to follow for someone who has never been here before.
Cons: it has no pads yet, and needs some trashcans, and a few benches. i heard that chiggars are really bad out here in the summer so be warned. the transistion from 14-15 is a bit long.. and to me 15-16 are pretty much boring holes, short and easy
Other Thoughts: really nice course with good flow for the most part. a side of town that needed a good course to get newer players involved with the sport. once concrete pads come in, i suspect that this will be a popular course in charlotte

The Blue Ridge of Charlotte Disc Golf

1    2/17/2012   2/17/2012
Review By: pmaxhen
This review was updated on 3/10/2012
Pros: -Good mix of straight shots and doglegs, wood are tough but forgiving.
-Good flow
-easy navigation, signs on every basket point you to the next tee box which currently have two white stakes.
-best scenery I've seen on any course I've played yet.
-Lots of foot traffic on the course and so far they have made it easy to walk minus two or three spots back in the woods.
Cons: Nothing that they don't plan to fix, these guys have worked hard at designing the best of the best, Tee boxes coming soon!
-Signs! It's tough to play a course when there's no way of telling what par a hole is.
Other Thoughts: I've play a few disc golf course in the area including brackets bluff and this course stands tall on the list of Charlotte disc golf course. I can't wait to play this one again!

Another good choice for South Charlotte DGers

1    1/28/2012   1/31/2012
Review By: chucker10
Pros: Nice layout with a good mix of wide open and tight fairways.
Course plays pretty fast so you can get in two rounds in 2-1/2 hours.
Accuracy and placement is very important in this course so a great course to sharpen your short game. I guess you could say this for most courses but this one is less forgiving if you miss and your disc lands in thorn ridden brush.
Cons: The cons have more to do with how new the course is. I played on a Saturday so parking was an issue. The biggest con by far and away is the lack of concrete tee pads. This made tee shots especially tricky on some holes since the course was a little soggy. Even temporary rubber tee pads would help immensely. Also need some additional steps and/or small bridges on the walk from one hole to the next in some areas. Once again I think these "cons" will be non-existent once the course is completed.
The other con for me is more nitpicky and it's the baskets. I'm used to the yellow rimmed innova baskets which are easier to see.
Other Thoughts: This is similar to Elon's eager beaver course, from the longs, but a little longer and more technical. If your strength is having distance on your tee shots there aren't but 2 or 3 holes that will benefit from this. The rest rely on accuracy so it's definitely a good course to hone your short game and accuracy in general. Great for beginner and intermediate players like myself. I will definitely be playing this course again and I look forward to playing it when concrete tee pads are put in.

Fangorn Forest

5+    1/11/2012   1/22/2012
Review By: Stan McDaniel
Pros: Tolkien enthusiasts will recognize my review title. This is how I perceive many of the wooded holes on this course. It is a creepy kind of forest out at Winget, in a good way. I feel like I am in another country whether working or playing on this course.

The current layout is mostly short holes since Sam is catering to a geographic area of town that otherwise has Renaissance (a very long and difficult course) as their closest option. These are fun short holes and offer lesser skilled players an introduction to par 4's that are not overbearing for those who do not have long arms. This layout will probably also be used during 2012 Worlds for some divisions on a day where they will play two courses, so it needs to play relatively quickly. There are two fast greens, one hole with beautiful boulders, some very scenic bouldery creek tee areas, and a few open holes to boot. I particularly look forward to the creation of the long layout after the 2012 Worlds are completed which will really turbocharge this course.
Cons: Tee pads will happen over the next couple of months but for now it is slip and slide in the winter. There are some temp tee makers with information, but the permanent signs will help a lot. We also need to get more transitional markers out on the course. Hole 1 is a bit awkward to find now, but when we install the putting basket and clear that area it will lead nicely to hole 1. There is a long transition after hole 14 that is necessary because of the summer usage of this field area. It seems a bit awkward, but it will minimize conflict. ( And if you will permit a Pro in the Con section, there is a restroom you can stop by on the way from 14 to 15) We get a bit close to a playground and a school parking lot. Not safetywise but just being in the public eye and I worry about some peoples behavior and etiquette around parents of small children. There is a need for a few bridges and some steps, pronto.
Other Thoughts: I will up my rating for this course when all the to-do's have been completed. This course is raw! Right or wrong, it is how we do it in Charlotte. We try to open the course as soon as possible to get our peeps out there tromping down mother nature. I don't think I have ever been a part of a more labor intensive project than this place. Sam and Tom have set a standard out here for hard work and commitment. Yay.

baby Nevin

2-4    1/18/2012   1/18/2012
Review By: atl scott
Pros: Nice new Mach V's - New quality baskets are always fun to throw at. It's relatively easy to find most of the baskets since the holes are short.

Fun factor - I had a great time playing this course!

Short - It only took us around 2 hours to play 2 rounds. There are plenty of chances for an ace out here!

Accuracy required - If you hit your lines you'll score well, otherwise you'll likely take a lot of 3s and 4s.

Challenging - There were several shots that will likely stretch your game by forcing you to throw something you wouldn't normally try. There are some drop offs around baskets that add challenge to your putts.

Rough - I like the fact that the rough is thick as it puts a premium on good shots for such short holes. I didn't encounter any thorns on the whole course (except 1 tree that had some gnarly thorns growing out of it).

Beauty - This property is gorgeous. I love the mature trees and clovery(?) fairways. There are many large rocks in play and around greens as well as creeks running throughout the course.

Potential - You can see that there is potential for longer pads and pin positions on this course and I only expect it to get better over time.
Cons: Holds a lot of water - It rained yesterday and it seemed like 70% of the course was waterlogged

Teepads are rough - The baskets went in 4 days ago so you can't expect perfection. Pads will be poured in due time.

There are a lot of limbs/vines hanging that would be nice to have out of the way. They seem to block a lot of airways. I assume this will get better with time.

There were several transitions that were dangerous as they were steep and muddy. The guy I was playing with slipped and slid 6 feet or so once. Be careful!
Other Thoughts: Par 4s - Hole 8 seemed more like a tough par 3 and holes 9 and 12 were tough tee shots no matter how aggresively you throw. I managed to get a 3 both rounds on all the par 4s except the 2nd round on hole 9 so I guess as long as you're in the fairway they are relatively easy 3s. I played aggressively on all of them (trying for 2s).

Hole 14 is a 371' uphill shot with trees in play the whole way. It felt more like a par 4 (tweener) and felt really out of place on the course since the rest of the holes were short/technical. There is also a loooooooooooong transition between this hole and the next which just left me wondering even more about the hole.

The best/most fun holes were 7, 11, 13, and 17.

Overall I was surprised how valid the fairways were on this course. With the short length I was expecting a lot more gimmicks but I was impressed by the challenge while still having a lot of fun. It had the feel of what I think junior pads at Nevin would be like.

I probably would have given this course a 3.25 but it is an easy 3.5 with pads so I will pre-emptively rate it. I'm proud of the way Charlotte keeps adding quality courses to our arsenal!

Plantation Ruins

5+    1/18/2012   1/18/2012
Review By: tom12003
This review was updated on 11/17/2012
Pros: Caveat--I should not be reviewing this course as I spend almost 900 hours of work in establishing it!

If you are not a bomber and focus on finesse shots, you should enjoy the course. Hit your line, birdies abound, miss your line and scramble for a par, bogey or worse. As the previous review commented, the course gives you an eerie, but pleasant, feeling.

As the course is less than 7 miles from Renny, it should be a great warm-up for the beast (or a relaxation afterwards). Easy, 2-course, one day play.
Cons: Heck--its a new course; still plenty to do. Hoping for concrete tee pads in Spring (will be fully polished for the 2012 Worlds). UPDATE--its shining (and was during the Worlds)
Other Thoughts: 1978's review was based on our day-after-Thanksgiving traveler basket test play. We addressed his cons. Course was polished for the Worlds.

World's results proved that this course had a bunch of short but sharp teeth. I have to raise my initial 3.5 rating to 4.0 because of hot it played during the Worlds.

Explore the Ruins Dr. Jones.

1    11/30/2011   1/17/2012
Review By: 1978
This review was updated on 2/29/2012
Pros: Great course to learn disc golf. Winget is in the south western part of Charlotte. There aren't many nearby courses or "sister courses." The area around Winget is growing so this will be many discer's first course. The holes are short and technical but the fairways are "fair." Short par 4's are made from angling fairways and forcing controlled layups. The variety of holes here is good. Tunnels, open holes, left and right turning holes and a small amount of elevation create a non-monotonous round. Precarious basket locations will add to the challenge on this shorter length course. Some of the basket locations set among boulders is really pretty. Playing through the old plantation ruins is a neat touch if you feel like exploring some during your round. Ancient irrigation ditches add some interesting obstacles and are neat to explore. You will notice baskets by old springs and water retention ponds that have long ago been extinct. Greens continue to be cut larger for that desired 30' circle. Playing here often and hitting these lines will give you the confidence you need on other area courses like Kilborne, Elon, RL Smith, Idlewild, Nevin, and many holes at Sugaw and Hornet's nest.
Cons: Shule was can be dense when I played this course. A LOT of work has been done to mitigate this. 4's and 5's were possible on 230' holes. Beginners will find this frustating and PAINFUL as many of the plants are equiped with massive spines. There are few areas where orangy/lemon/brain looking fruit litter the fairway. These can roll ankles pretty easily. Imagine 100's of softballs on the ground. Over time these trees may be cut out but when I played you wanted to be aware. I understand how shot placement is important, but I have never been a complete fan of "throw 150' turn dead right throw 200' for a par 4. Trashcans, benches, tee signs, and tee pads are needed and their addition will increase my rating. The course is kind of out of the way and would be hard to hit on a "im visiting Charlotte what courses should I play" trip. I think that is a shame...but nothing can be done about that.
I personally like discatchers, so for me DGA baskets are a con. I have seen some really bright DGA baskets at other courses, but these were donated! More freer is more betterer. Others might find this a pro. I prefer the bright colored band, especially when the goal is to get a 2 you need to really see the basket off the tee. I didn't mark the course down for its baskets. They are a good change of pace.

This is another must play course in Charlotte.
Other Thoughts: The woods, moss, and ruins create and eerie cool feeling as you play, mossy fairways and enclosed overhead canopy give you the feel you are about to be part of a shakey cam movie. I like it! Nice flowing property, some amentities including bathrooms on the property. Very safe park and that is one of my priorities. I love safe parks. Come out and play. If you see Tom out there working, lend him a hand for a few minutes, he would really appreciate it.

1 2 3 Next >