Camdenton, MO
Dragon Ridge Share
Uploaded By: FriedOkra Hole #8 (Taken 12/2012)

a hiking trail with a disc golf course

1    7/21/2015   7/21/2015
Review By: specsman
Pros: Great baskets, signage, concrete pads, fun holes, easy to find, ample parking, wildlife, benches, shade, technical, and more...
Cons: I had a hard time finding tee #2 and it appeared that somebody had uprooted the sign and I couldn't see the basket so it took me a while to figure out where I was supposed to go -- but that was the only hole with that problem.
Other Thoughts: I'd almost call this course an Ozark hiking trail that just happens to have a disc golf course along it; but that isn't fair to the fact that it really has some well designed and fun holes.

I always play DG in my sandals but that is NOT an option here. You NEED to wear some good shoes and clothes that you aren't afraid of getting dirty if you end up butt scooting or climbing down a ravine to retrieve your disc. This is not a course that you can write on your scorecard, look at your phone or daydream while walking; if you do, you are likely to have bad day -- watch where you are stepping.

If you are used to flat terrain, you are going to love hole 6. I wished I had a giant bag of discs I didn't care about and could have just thrown discs at that basket all day long. I agree that hole 7 might be the signature hole for the course, its perfect.

I definitely wouldn't take a total beginner or somebody that is afraid of hiking on this course; but if you aren't afraid of a workout, up for a technical course and up for an adventure then its a must play. I'll be playing it everytime I visit family in the area.

hidden gem

1    7/17/2015   7/20/2015
Review By: jaketaco
Pros: Very good use of the land and elevation

Challenging fairways, but not impossible "poke and hope" type holes

Terrain is rocky, so there is not much underbrush that grows like I am accustomed to.

The placements are nice. Some are guarded by trees, some are on the edge of cliffs, one was elevated in the middle of a tree.
Cons: They still need a few tee pads on the newer holes, I am sure they are coming soon though, and the ones that didn't have them weren't on a bad spot to throw from

Not really a con, but this course would not be great for a beginner, if you don't have decent control, you're going to have a rough day.

Other Thoughts: They did a good job designing this course. The terrain is rough, but i loved it. They had a disclaimer, saying that several holes are steep and rugged. You need to be in decent shape and have good footwear. They warned you. I really liked this course, its several hours away, but I'd definitely make the trip again.

side note: Had my first ace ever here, so I'll always have a soft spot for this course, but it genuinely was fun.

Left my Discraft elite z flick

1    6/14/2015   6/14/2015
Review By: MarkDuper85
Pros: Elevation and creek bed fairways make for a unique disc experience. One pin placement is the highest from the ground that I've ever seen.
Cons: Gravel tee boxes, super challenging pin placements on steep hills
Other Thoughts: Please contact me if you found my yellow elite z flick. So heart broken

Dragon Ridge

2-4    5/20/2015   5/20/2015
Review By: DriveCrusher2
Pros: Concrete tee pads, double chained PDGA sanctioned baskets (Monkey Traps). The course is located in a city park and it weaves through the terrain very nicely. The course is very challenging. I enjoyed this course very much and it is every bit as challenging!
Cons: When I played all the concrete pads were not installed yet but, my sources tell me they are all in now! If there are people who have difficulty walking this may not be the course for you, especially the front 9.
Other Thoughts: This course reminded me a bit of the challenge that Ozark Mountain is. Not quite as long nor as crazy holes but, this course is definitely one of the toughest courses I have ever played and look forward to playing it again! The basket located up in the tree was awesome! Yes a basket on a pole in a tree, totally worth it! Anyway look forward to my next trip there and I hope it's during a tournament.

Poor excuse of a course

1    5/3/2015   5/7/2015
Review By: theRHW
This review was updated on 5/15/2015
Pros: It has a nice parking lot.
Cons: - the course sign does not have a map of the course posted
- I use an app, but many courses I've visited provide complimentary printed scorecards at the course sign, with a take-along map printed on the back of the scorecard for ease of navigation
- only some holes have concrete tee pads
-navigation signs are well made, but you have no clue where they are pointing because of the amount of foliage.
-we had to ask directions to even find hole 2, which is on the opposite side of the baseball field
-this course is set in the deep dark woods and short of cutting down trees there is no true landscaping
-no paths except where the grass has failed to grow through the rock
-course is heavily overgrown, fallen trees have not been cleared, this does not automatically make it a technical course because of lay downs everywhere
-Only some tees have the supposed benches or trash cans
-Terrain is barely traversable,
-baskets are set by cliffs and STEEP drop offs. Prepare to lose discs or spend 30 minutes climbing down and back up after retrieving them.
Other Thoughts: In closing, the best way to describe this course is if you and a buddy decided one day to carve a course out of the forrest using nothing but a chainsaw.
This does not, by any stretch, make the course a "technical" marvel of disc golf course engineering.
You most definitely will not see this course featured in any professional play.
You may disagree with my opinion, however that does not invalidate it, nor does it mean the PDGA is clambering over themselves to get to camdenton, mo to play this course.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I don't care how many people thumbs down this review. Also, reviews are not the place to disagree with one another. That is the purpose of the forums.

After using OFF! Tick & insect spray: When we got home I pulled a total count of 23 ticks off of myself. I am from Missouri and I am well aware of nature based precautions for weather, hydration, and insects.
Were I from Camdenton, with only 2-3 courses available I may feel different. However, once you get your feet wet at a truly well kept course the truth of this course comes through.
PLAY AT YOUR OWN RISK
I will not be back to this pitiful course.

Date: 5/15/2015 Designer Response by: FriedOkra
Pros: None to speak of

Cons: - few holes have concrete tee pads. <*GB 12 of the 18 holes have concrete pads. We will have the last 6 pads in soon.>
-navigation signs are nice but you have no clue where they are pointing. <*GB The navigation signs have arrows and distances. I'm not sure how to improve on them.>
-we had to ask directions to even find hole 2. <*GB I'll create some additional navigation signs for this hole.>
-this course is set in the deep dark woods. <*GB This is in fact a technical course built in the woods. This is by design, not a CON>
-no paths <*GB There are paths on every hole>
-course is heavily overgrown. <*GB This simply is not true.>
-Few tees have the supposed benches or trash cans. <*GB Every hole except one (hole 8) has a trash can. 12 holes have benches.>
-baskets only have one set of chains and they are heavy!! Tons of rejected putts that were dead on due to heavy chains. <*GB The baskets are Monkey Traps and have two sets of chains.>
-Terrain is barely traversable. <*GB Simply not true. We even have on player who has a blind daughter that loves to hike our course. True story.>
-baskets are set by cliffs and STEEP drop offs. Prepare to lose discs or spend 30 minutes climbing down to get them. <*GB There is one basket location on a pinnacle. 30 minutes to retrieve a disc due to an errant throw is a huge exaggeration.>

Other Thoughts: In closing, the best way to describe this course is if you and a buddy decided one day to carve a course out of the Forrest using nothing but a chainsaw. <*GB many volunteers spent many of hours hand crafting this TECHNICAL course into what it is today. You have insulted every one of them.>

When we got home I pulled a total count of 23 ticks off of myself. <*GB Any time you are outside in Missouri during the summer, you should apply bug spray, sunscreen, and carry plenty of water.> PLAY AT YOUR OWN RISK. <*GB The course description on this site and signs at the course described the course as technical and in rough terrain. We warned you.>
I will not be back to this pitiful course. <*GB at the time of this response to your review, 0 of 10 people have found your review helpful.>

Beware of Dragon

2-4    3/27/2015   3/28/2015
Review By: CarpeDeezNuts
This review was updated on 3/31/2015
Pros: Dragon Ridge is an excellent course located on the slopes of a heavily wooded hill. It is a beautiful piece of property that makes great use of the trees, ravines, and outcrops. It requires precise shooting and a wide array of shots. There are no particularly long holes, but many holes feel longer due to the narrow windows the course demands you shoot through. This course is very unforgiving if you don't hit your line. One kick off a tree and you are looking at a very difficult up shot with lots of trees in the way.

The monkey trap baskets are quality, and most of the holes have really nice concrete teepads. Almost all the tee pads have a bench and a trash can next to them.

There are many memorable holes for me. Hole 6 is a fun, nearly straight downhill putter throw with tons of trees in the way. Behind the basket is a 10ft drop off to a stream that makes you think about the death putt you are about to attempt. Hole 7 is a bear of a hole that follows the stream at the bottom of the hill. The basket is elevated roughly 15ft on a rocky outcrop. It feels like the signature hole for the course. Hole 14s basket is in a tree! Hole 18 might as well be a pinball machine.
Cons: Some of the footing and walkways are a bit treacherous. Heed the warning signs at the hole 6 tee pad. I'm a spry 26 year old, but lost my footing and cut my hand on a jagged piece of Missouri rock. Be careful on the steep walkway down hole 6 fairway.

This course is really hard on the discs. You WILL hit trees!
Other Thoughts: This course is a must play if you live in the Missouri area or are planning to take a trip to this part of the country. I drove up an hour from Springfield to play and plan on visiting the course many more times in the future. I wish it was closer to my house!

Out of Towner Opinion

1    12/26/2014   1/25/2015
Review By: Chain_Bang
Pros: This course is amazing. Elevation that I can't get back in Texas. I had a ball checking out the line on each tee box I walked up to. Huge variety of throws ranging from short and technical to long bombs. I especially loved the long straight shot that seemed to have 200 feet in elevation drop. Although the hole number has escaped my memory now, the shot hasn't. One basket was exotically placed in a tree high enough they built a ladder to get your disc out. Overall I had a blast and will be back many more times as its just a few minutes from our vacation home! Great job by the designers.
Cons: I took a first timer with me, and probably should have chosen an easier place for him to learn. As he pointed out, one slip here could result in serious injury/death on some of the slopes. To be fair, signs warned of the difficulty ahead and were clearly posted. Hole to hole navigation got a bit confusing here and there but regulars were nearby to advise us. Some of the lines could use a bit of trimming and stump removal, and some walking paths were very difficult.
Other Thoughts: Chain splashed a hole I've never seen before, which is never a bad thing. Heed the signs warning of treacherous holes ahead. I'm not in the best of shape and the 3 holes became very difficult to traverse and contributed to being totally wiped out after 18 holes. Might have been all the elevation change I'm not used to, but for my first course to play in the Ozarks, this was an awesome choice!

Wow!

1    8/23/2014   8/24/2014
Review By: Dsjoats
Pros: Very wooded and requires many different kinds of shots. I'm not sure I've ever putted so far above my head before. Fun stuff. I've ignored my roller shot, and sure wish I had one to use.
Well marked and easy to navigate. I didn't pay attention to every hole, but when I looked for a bench, trash can or sign, there was one right where I needed it.
Cons: Only 13 holes.
I played on a calm evening and the bugs (mosquitoes and horseflies) were very annoying. This is a tiny nit, but it was the only thing that bothered me during my round.
Other Thoughts: The warning about 3-5 is no joke, but these were my favorite holes. Come prepared and don't skip them.
I came from the KC metro area to play this course and struggled to find it using the directions on this site. I'd recommend using your GPS with this address. "2 Ball Park Rd; Camdenton, MO" This is not exact, but if you drive a bit either direction from this spot, you'll see the ball park.

This is a unique course and worth a special trip. I just wish I had time to play it again. Can't go higher that a 3.5 without a full 18 holes.

dragon ridge

5+    1/1/2014   1/5/2014
Review By: kirk
This review was updated on 3/4/2014
Pros: concrete tee pads are all done..work is constantly being done to improve this already awesome coarse, there are multible basket locations to keep it interesting..the local club has put a lot of work into this coarse and it really shows, great signage, benches at most tees, trash cans...sweet
Cons: still needs some stairs and step work but i have no doubt that will be tended to in the near future, a very rugged and heavily wooded coarse, they recommend good footwear and extra water so prepare for this and enjoy .
Other Thoughts: This coarse is a wild ride through the rugged untamed ozark hills..it is a true jewel to play, I truly look forward to every round ..its tough but fair, its cruel but rewarding .if you play this game for a little extra exercise then this is the coarse for you...located at the lake of the ozarks i can see this becoming a destination coarse for many lake visitors..