Tempe, AZ
Moeur Park Share
Uploaded By: bcr123psu Hole #6 (Taken 3/2011)
3 / 305ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #6 Approach

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Ticky-tack Desert Course

1    3/18/2016   3/18/2016
Review By: sssrn
Pros: Map is accurate.
Good signs revealing next tee and flags on the baskets making them easy to see.
Nice variety of layout. Many courses are simple tree dodging.
Well laid out course despite not a lot space to work with.
Cons: Bring old discs. The rocks on this course will chew up all your discs.
Even with good signs it's hard to find the next basket. Had to walk out several of the holes to make sure I was playing the right one.
In the flight path of the airport. Hearing a jumbo jet take off every two minutes was distracting even to me who grew up near an Air Force Base.
With all the desert brush there's a high chance of losing a disc.
Other Thoughts: I once asked a friend why he saw Rocky Horror Picture Show 20+ times and he told me, "I hated it the first 5 or 6 times I saw it but once I had it memorized I really liked it because I could focus on everything going on in the theater." This is how I think it is with this course. Once you have the layout down (and don't care about the damage to your discs) this course could be a lot of fun.
I don't understand the people who complain that it's a desert course. Are people surprised that Phoenix is in a desert? When I played the course in Montana I didn't complain about the forest. The desert has its own beauty and this course embraces it. If your image of a desert is the Sahara then this area would surprise you with the large amount of plant life beyond the cacti.
If I lived nearby I'd probably play this course regularly as it could be a lot of fun once you learn it but since I'm just traveling through then in the future I'll probably stick to one of the many other courses in the area.

Excellent Desert Style Course

5+    2/19/2016   2/19/2016
Review By: jconover707
Pros: I love this course. This is the very first course I played 3 years ago and I still play it on the reg. New tee pads were just poured on the back 9 along with multiple new pin positions. New tee signs are in the works now and should be installed within the next few months. This course a lot of great features that MANY if not ALL of the courses around the valley do not offer. This course has everything you could want from a desert course. There is a river on the front 9 that provides OB and tight fairways. There are elevated downhill shots and there are uphill shots. There are short shots and there are long shots. This course has tall palm trees you must shoot the gap or throw around, and also LARGE desert shrubs that obstruct certain throws and will challenge you to throw with accuracy. I love this course and I can tell that most of the reviews on this course come from A.) people who played here once, lost a disc, got it scratched, and went home to write a shitty review or B.) Aren't too familiar with disc golf.
Cons: This course can be difficult to navigate but with some research before hand and a little patience, you will make your way through this course and want to come back to take it on again!
Other Thoughts: The people that I know who love this course are all solid players that like the challenges that Papago offers. They like playing up and down and all around the desert landscape.

I've heard people who don't like this course make the following comments:
"I don't like desert courses."
"It's too windy."
"There isn't any grass." No shit, we live in the desert
"My discs get scratched."
"I can't pull my cart there."
"I don't like walking up and down the hills."

This course isn't for everybody. This course is for people who like a course that is a little more challenging than being able to see the basket from tee pad and just throw straight at it because there is little to no obstruction...aka Vista.

Don't bother

1    2/26/2015   3/1/2015
Review By: UKfan
Pros: A good player may find a few of the holes challenging.
Cons: The signage on this course is horrible. The day that I played this course some of the baskets were misnumbered. For example, there were two #5 baskets. It was difficult to find many of the tees and correct baskets.
There is a really good chance of throwing discs in the water in the first several holes because there is a very narrow fairway, if any, on some of those holes. Also, if this is the first time you play this course without a local then you will lose a disc or throw it into the water. This is literally the worst course I have ever played. I wrote this review to hopefully keep others from making the mistake I made by choosing to play this course instead of others in the area.
Other Thoughts: I was visiting my son at ASU and we only had a short time to play so we thought we would play this course since it was close. Do not make the same mistake I did. Do not even bother with this course. The Memorial tournament was in progress the week I was there and we could not play a couple of the other local courses.

Medium playability

1    11/22/2014   12/8/2014
Review By: Jazzmafia127
Pros: Pros: it was a good length course with some nice front nine holes that have a little challenge to them, around trees, through brush, etc,etc.
Cons: Cons: There is ZERO signs or maps that will help you find the next hole, if you don't find a local you'll be eaten alive. some holes don't even have teepads, just a circle of rocks with red dirt, some without the dirt.
Other Thoughts: The front nine holes are pretty okay and pose a little challenge but the back nine are almost unplayable. The course is a little hot and rocky, but that's just az. It's a good course but if you can make it to emerald park its not worth it. In the end, if you can't find a local, you'll be golfing blind.

a tale of two 9's

1    8/3/2014   9/2/2014
Review By: dreadlock86
Pros: -signs on the front 9
-concrete tees or sidewalks to throw from on the front 9
-creek in play on a few holes on the front 9
-cool ravine and slight elevation changes on the back 9
Cons: -this course is for locals only: navigation is terrible, signage is nonexistent on the back 9, generally trashy vibe, frequented by university kids and it shows
-multiple baskets on some holes on the front 9 were just confusing
-you will need a map, and you'll still not be sure on some holes
-could be so much better with a little love but locals know the course so those little things don't matter to them?
Other Thoughts: Moeur Park has two nine hole, out and back loops. The first one has decent signs and some interesting holes next to the creek. The next 9 are rougher, without any signage, and seem like an afterthought.

The main obstacles besides knowing where you are supposed to throw are some scrubby desert foliage, the creek on the front 9, and the minor elevation changes in the ravine on the back 9. The distances are mostly short.

Moeur Park seems like a classic chucker course. Right next to a big university, kinda trashy, poorly marked. I caught it right after a rainstorm so the creek was moving and no one was really around. I wish I had some locals I could have followed.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

Wanting More from Moeur...

1    7/21/2012   5/15/2014
Review By: Outdoor Craziness
Pros: The location: it's right next to the Marquee Theater over by ASU.

The water: Yep, there's water on the course! Unfortunately I landed in it (and was very surprised by it), but I still think it's a great challenge especially for an AZ course.
Cons: The first 5 baskets: these baskets require somewhat blind throws right up a sidewalk with plenty of pedestrians. The sidewalk is OB, but the course follows the sidewalk so it basically serves as the fairway. Not good.

The back 9: very rocky, very repetitive. Nothing too special.
Other Thoughts: I'd rather play the Vista del Camino course - it's about 10 minutes away and is very impressive.

Classic desert course in the heart of the city

5+    4/20/2014   4/22/2014
Review By: bogeybogey
Pros: This is a classic designed desert course that has some challenging elements and a few holes to just let it rip. The course is well layed out to finishing a round in 1.5 hours is quite easy to do. Hole and pin locations aren't marked but tall poles and flags make it easy to quickly move from hole to hole.
Cons: Missing amenities like bathrooms, updating tee signs. Plus on the back 9 there is a ton of glass, so wear appropriate shoes.
Other Thoughts: With little to no shade, this course can get hot really fast....bring water

Scrub Desert Course With Canal/Creek!

1    5/25/2013   6/3/2013
Pros: The front nine or the creek nine features decent concrete pads, standard issue fiberglass signage with some a little trashed (as are most fiberglass signs across America), some challenging basket placements sitting close to the canal and drop-offs and a few very interesting tee shots where you really have to shape your shot to stay out of the water or off the path.
There is some shade on on this the creek side of the course. The road leading in provides an OB option for a few holes here. There are some blind throws where walking ahead and spotting the basket will help. I parked in the small parking strip and was directed by the one local fellow around to begin my round on hole 8.
Cons: Finding this course was difficult to say the least. We reached the general area and then has a heckuva time finally finding the actually course.

The back nine or dump nine on the other side of the road is just not a very attractive piece of land. It's open desert scrub with some baskets placed here and there. It's hot, arid, windy and littered with broken glass. The pads over are natural, the signs are painted pieces of plywood which weren't much help.

It's unfortunate because I believe there's enough elevation over here for a couple fun ACE runs and I liked the elevated basket stuck in the rock # 15.

Playing # 13 I walked over a small gully and came to small cave like indentation in the hillside and where there was an over-whelming amount of trash strewn about. Obviously some homeless folks had been living here recently and left quite a mess. Either that or some slobblish disc golfers had camped out here for weeks to get the best tee times over Memorial Day.
Other Thoughts: I'm no expert on desert terrain but I've now played about 25 courses in Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada that would qualify as being in deserts. I'm breaking those down into three groups. First, are those in wonderful watered green, grassy parks such as Fountain Hills and Vista Del Camino. Gotta Love those.

The second are those in desert terrain that have nice dirt surfaces to play on such as Mesquite Grove. It's totally natural but easy to walk on and doesn't tear your discs up and is fairly attractive, in my opinion. It may or may not have some bigger trees such as Mesquites. Santa Cruz River Park in Tucson is another example. There was no grass there, just bare dirt with decent mature trees. But it was pretty and enjoyable to play.

The third, is what I call this desert scrub. It's harsh, rocky, not attractive, eats discs alive. It only has low scrubby plants. Moeuer Park DGC is one example. Marana Rock DGC north of Tucson in Marana is another desert scrub course although they have built a very nice and challenging 18 there.

In conclusion, I guess I may not be cut out to study scorpions, rattlesnakes, desert terrains or enjoy scrub desert courses. Your mileage may vary!

Something different

5+    5/13/2013   5/15/2013
Review By: thinblend
This review was updated on 9/14/2013
Pros: Lots of variety. Scenic. Front 9 is much cooler than the ambient temperature.

The course is challenging and the stream (canal) is next to it which keeps it cool. Also, if you throw it in the "stream", you can just go in and get it out as it isn't deep.

Lots of variety of shots to make the plays. The course is very enjoyable. The front requires more finesse. The back 9 offers those players that like long hucks something to look forward to. Lots of varying elevation makes for interesting plays.
Cons: I love the front 9. Nothing to complain about.

The back 9 has no maps nor tee pads. The only map available for the back 9 is on hole 10, and that's it. Might be a good idea to take a picture if you don't have a map. The back 9 is also full of dirt and rocks so it wrecks soft plastics in a heartbeat.

Bring shoes as the back 9 can be rough since it's located in a ditch. There's a decent amount of broken glass here and there.
Perhaps playing the front 9 twice...

it was fun

1    2/23/2013   2/24/2013
Review By: HarrMarc
Pros: -Front nine requires requires lots of different throws around vegetation and to avoid an intermittent canal/creek; the back nine mostly requires big throws through a jagged wash
-Many drives require controlled glide and fade rather than just power
-Very challenging
Cons: -The back nine is a work in progress at the present time, with temporary tee pads. As such it can be tough to orient around without a local's advice.
Very rough terrain. Back nine seems like old glass dump (don't trip!).
-Champion and Z-plastic recommended, but this plastic can be tough to throw (especially if not broken in) as it is not always possible to release a disc low and nose down
-Bushes and obstacles may result in absurdly difficult approaches
Other Thoughts: Tee signs are bad, especially on the back nine.

FRONT 9= 2 1/2- 3