Waco, TX
Brazos Park East Share
Uploaded By: cc0049 Hole #17 (Taken 6/2008)

nice mix of park and woods golf

1    3/27/2015   3/30/2015
Review By: JerryChesterson
Pros: Nice tee boxes
Decent signage
Easy to navigate
Great design
Good facilities (bathrooms, etc.)
Very pretty on the eyes
Cons: The back nine is a little rough and wasnt mowed. When i played it wasnt a problem but since the rest of the course was manicured i figure the back nine migjt get a little overgrown.
Other Thoughts: If you are traveling through on I35, hit this course up. Lots of fun. Not sure why some of the other reviews didnt like the back nine. Its exactly what i want out of woods golf.

The BEast

1    1/24/2015   1/26/2015
Review By: pablo.diablo
This review was updated on 2/5/2015
Pros: Love this course. It has the perfect mix of bombs, control drives, and super technical play. There was some water in play, plenty of OB, and elevation, which are 3 requirements for an excellent course for my own personal taste in course design.

Front 9 has some beautifully framed bomber holes, including street and water OB. Reminded me of a much better Old Settlers Park with huge trees in the fairways.

I would have to say the signature hole on the Front 9 is the one that plays along the pond, then forces a throw over a little bit of water after crushing a nice drive. I setup for a beautiful '3' and it was very rewarding.

There were excellent tees with plenty of run-up and very nice signs that detailed the pin positions and distances.

There was a nice bathroom facility at the end of Hole #1 which you loop back towards to finish the Front 9, and I always enjoy that type of routing so you can stop by your vehicle to refill waters or have a snack break, etc.

The Back 9 enters you into some technical warfare, and personally I have no problem with this type of challenge. People get bent out of shape when they can't stay under Par easily and that's just an attitude / perspective problem if you ask me. You have to have all techniques to navigate this type of technical layout - straight mids, controlled backhands, forehands, and a few tricks up your sleeve like overhands and rollers to get you out of trouble. I don't remember any bad holes but I'll have to play it again and re-check the "unfairness factor".

Again, the Back 9 loops back to the parking area, so you can choose to replay it without an epic walk if you need some instant revenge.

I had a blast, and it would be a fantastic doubles course, which is the most enjoyable and stress-free way to play golf in my opinion.
Cons: I really have nothing bad to say about the course, although I only played it once so far...I will be back!

I will just say that difficult, challenging, highly technical golf is my favorite style, though, whereas most players find it to be immensely frustrating. Some of my favorite technical courses are Little Egypt, Spring Valley, Lindsey Park, Lake Nacogdoches, Pier Park, Shawshank, McClain, if that gives you a better idea of my preferences.

If you only like throwing wide open shots that don't require L-R control, you will probably get very frustrated by the back 9, and even some of the front. Learn to throw a straight midrange shot and put the drivers away then try again.

I thought the other nearby course, Brazos West had just as much technical play but they were much shorter which suits "old man" style golf much better. Meaning you can have a bad tee throw and still recover for Par lots of times, whereas the Beast will punish you more accordingly on the score sheet.
Other Thoughts: In conjunction with Brazos West, this course makes Waco a good destination for a day of disc golf. The Waco club has a nice golf scene and there were a ton of players out there for the Mini we played. Good times.

If you want a tasty beverage between or after rounds, go hit up nearby Cricket's Bar and Grill. They had like 80 taps (lots of good Texas Craft beers), decent food, and darts, pool tables, and shuffleboard to make it fun for a whole day of gaming. I'm sure there are times it's busy and not as fun, but we enjoyed it.

My name is "Boogie Flights" on Facebook if you want to hit me up for a round in the Austin area sometime.

great front 9, not so great back 9

2-4    10/18/2014   1/18/2015
Review By: griff17
Pros: The whole front 9 is really good "park golf". Nothing really tight and just scattered trees. There are several " duece" holes and some big par 4's. Distances on par 4's were well thought out. Ob street,sidewalks and a pond make you think before just crushing something with no concern for a bad finish. There were several ways to attack most holes. Again, I really liked this half of the course.
Cons: I strongly dislike 6-7 of the holes on the backside of this course. Bottlenecks at 70-90% of the way down long tight fairways, low canopies, tons of random trees littering already tight fairways...I understand this portion of the course was recently revamped and may beat in a little, but not near enough to be what I would consider "fair"ways. This is much luck required to navigate this course.
Other Thoughts: Let me say this so you know where my review comes from, I am a 5th year pro rated as high as 990. 90% of the golf I play now is tournament golf for $. I review the actual course with aesthetics and amenities playing only a small role bit those will be included in this summary. I take into account % of good holes to bad and give extra credit accordingly.
This course is in a beautiful park on a beautiful river, but I would only play this course for casual or dubs play because of the unnatural lines and luck factor on the backside.

Bring a BIG arm! :)

1    10/4/2014   10/12/2014
Review By: Joe6Pack
Pros: - Front 9 is very well maintained in community park
- Variety of open/tight, varying elevation, and water holes
- Great tee pads, signs and baskets
- Lots of challenge (mostly due to long distances)
- Tons of trees make for good play and lots of shade
- OBs provide extra challenge
Cons: - Ridiculously long course
- Somewhat difficult to navigate (especially back 9)
Other Thoughts: While I enjoy airing out 400-450 ft drives, it seems this course relies a little too much on having a long arm. Would like to see a little more touch lines on the course, especially in the heavily wooded back 9 (so much potential). This course really challenges your distance accuracy, so make some smart shots, otherwise you'll be searching for discs in dense trees and brush (be prepared to lose a disc or two). This course is definitely not beginner friendly. If you want that go across the river to the main park.