Burlington, KY
Hole #14 Short Tee

< Prev 1 2 3

2-4    5/18/2013   1/3/2014
Review By: cwise2
Pros: The course has a huge shot variation and a huge difference in length and par. There are a few wide open long holes and some very tightly wooded dinkers. A few holes play over water, which is fun, and there is quite a bit of elevation change.
Cons: Maybe a little bit too long. Playing singles at Idlewild takes a long while, and I've heard horror stories of playing doubles there.

1    8/24/2013   8/28/2013
Review By: astomps
Pros: +the thing that really stands above everything for me is the distances. Most courses like this have a pile of 250ft holes, but Idlewild really goes against that grain and succeeds
+fake turf greens
+signs are top notch, current pin placements shown as part of the sign
+1000ft hole and its not even a boring one
+upkeep is top notch considering the size and number of holes
+tee pads are all super long
+27 holes

Cons: -navigation doesnt really make sense in several places. goes 1,2,a-e,3,4,f. IMO, just make it 1-27 or dont make the two styles flow together.

Other Thoughts: still on the fence about all the marked OB. creek is obvious, but the islands could be a real turn off for tourney play. I think making the islands into just greens would be best, but the islands do look very cool.

also having 2 baskets on one hole at a time is kind of confusing and wasteful.

absolute top notch course, must play for everyone

My #1 out of 55 played!

1    7/21/2012   2/26/2013
Review By: Jimb
Pros: It will be hard to include anything unique in my review, so I'll just do what I do and review it as if mine was the first.

Very nice park setting with beautiful scenery... rolling hills, trees, woods, ponds, creek, interesting man made erosion control projects, etc.

Within minutes of the small town of Burlington, the bigger town of Florence and less than 30 minutes to the big city of Cincinnati. So there is no shortage of other things to do in the area... eating, shopping, professional sports, lots of other disc golf courses in the area, etc.

Ample parking with porta-johns on site, although not on the course itself. Hole #1 is just a few steps from, and #18 finishes just a short walk from, the main parking lot. Benches and trash cans throughout the course. The course was very clean when I played it, by the way.

If you don't have time for all 24 or if you just don't want to start with hole #1, there are several other tee options that are close to either the main parking lot or other parking lots. See the course map and you'll see what I mean.

24 holes! Most holes have either multiple tees, pins, or pin locations. Ideal, excellent sized concrete tees. Baskets are mixed, but in good shape and of high quality (see cons, too). (There's a picture in the Idlewild thread in the forums of the freshly painted, highly visible, baskets, http://www.dgcoursereview.com...ld&page=3, post #25. This was done after I was there.) High quality course map available here on DGCR and displayed near tee #1. Good tee signs and generally easy navigation (see cons, too), using the map.

Now let's get to what's really important... the holes!!! This is the most well thought out course that I've ever played, with the greatest variety of hole types. Although there are no "ski slope" down hill holes, there are several holes with considerable elevation drop (#15 comes to mind). There are uphill holes of varying degree. There are level holes including a couple "across the valley" type holes.

To say that there are left turning, right turning and straight holes would be understating this point. Off the tee, you have a tremendous amount of options. Some holes will give you the option of throwing a hyzer, anhyzer, overhand or roller off the tee, while others will force a particular shot off of the tee. And once you've found your tee shot, you're likely to have multiple lanes and shot options to use to get to the basket or further down the fairway.

There are mostly open grassy holes, holes that play entirely in the woods, and many holes that have you playing both air shots and wooded shots in the same hole. Some holes get quite tight, but I don't feel that there was a single "plinko" or unfair hole on the course. If you hit your lines in the woods, you can do very well. I was very fortunate to stay on the fairway a vast majority of the time so I didn't have any real trouble finding my discs. There are a some places, though, where the high grass or underbrush off of the fairway does get thick. Stating the obvious here, but just be sure to pay close attention to your disc's flight.

The use of water is very fun, too. There a couple ponds that come into play with you either throwing over them, or along side them. And then there's the stream that flows through some of the holes. There are landing zones and greens (some covered with green outdoor carpet to help with erosion) literally cut into peninsulas created by the meandering stream. These peninsulas really make for some interesting shot selections. "Do I go for it or do I lay up? That approach sure does look tempting... but I don't like the looks of that OB."

Landing zones on the par 4s and 5s...This is one of the standout features of the course to me. You don't necessarily just try to throw your your tee shot as far as you can and hope for a good lie. Several holes require accurate tee shots with specific landing zones in order to leave you with a preferred shot down the fairway or to the basket. For me, some of these landing zones broke up a couple holes into more manageable, bite-size pieces. But a better player could shoot for a longer landing zone and birdie vs my par. I love that there are different ways to effectively manage the holes, with distinct risk and reward options.

This course is definitely what I would think that Pro-Caliber means. I am by no means a pro, but I do have a bit of experience. So I was very pleased with my 3 over 90 from mainly the short tees. My being able to throw a 3 over the first time I played the course makes me believe that Idlewild could also be played and enjoyed by much less experienced players, too. Some holes would seem daunting, I'm sure. And the course would seem very hard. But I don't think that these are necessarily bad things. It could very well prove overwhelming to a very new player, much the same way that I was overwhelmed (beaten severely) by The Woodshed in WV, when I first played it as a noob. Depending on your level of interest in the game, though, even a beating like I took could peak your interest in the game, rather than turning you away from it. It probably wouldn't make a great "first date" or "take the kids for a walk" course, though.
Cons: Only a couple really. Although the baskets are in good shape, as mentioned above, they are of mixed varieties. I would prefer that all of the baskets be the same type, regardless of which type they chose. And I do remember one of the short location baskets being a single chain, almost smaller than normal, looking basket.

I had a couple navigation issues, which would be a non-issue after playing the course a couple of times. But since I was on a limited time schedule, it was an issue for me. I missed the apparent shortcut from #2 to hole A and went all of the way up the hill to the parking lot and around the pavilions. And I couldn't find the short tee for hole E. It took me a little while to find short #14 and maybe a couple others. I may have missed next tee signs, but think that more obvious signs might be in order.

The flight path of planes leaving the Cincinnati-Northern KY Int'l Airport took some of them right over the course as I played. So it got a bit loud, especially when a 747 went over. This didn't really bother me, although I might have been a little distracted by the "pretty planes" since I don't live near a major airport.

These are pretty nit-picking cons, and again, the navigation issues would be corrected with one or two more plays of the course and could have really been my fault altogether.
Other Thoughts: Favorite/Most Memorable holes. #1, a great 640' opener... if you warm up a little! Beautiful, wide, grassy fairway with moderate trouble right or left and a protecting tree in front of the basket. #3, cool downhill drive to the treeline with the basket on a peninsula in the woods. #10, a great "landing zone" hole with a severe dogleg right a couple hundred feet off the tee and another few hundred feet to a well protected basket... short, long, left or right off the tee and you're REALLY going to have to scramble for par (I took a bogey.). #15, 1001', beautiful fairway cut into the deep grass, with dramatic drop down to the peninsula green (I had a 60' putt for birdie and took par). There are more, but I'll stop here.

Obviously, I love the course. I can't wait to get back to the area to play it again. And I will be staying longer than 1 1/2 days next time.

This is definitely a destination course, even if it was the only course in the area. The course, literally, has some of every aspect of a course that I would ask for. And with so many other, apparently high quality, courses in the area, this should definitely be a travel stop for you.

If you made it all of the way through my novella, I commend and thank you. I hope that it encouraged you to play the course if you haven't already. And I'd recommend checking out the KY State Doubles videos on Youtube. There's one loaded onto the DGCR course media page and there are others that you'll find once you go to that one. They do an excellent job of showing off the course.

Enjoy, be well, and good discing!

Be Prepared!

1    7/23/2012   7/23/2012
Review By: knettles
Pros: There's just so many.

-Well maintained with good baskets and clean fairways. Also, a couple holes have turf greens. Turf greens!

-Lots of amenities; benches, a couple water fountains, porta potties.

-Best signage I've seen; course sign at the start and great hole signs at each tee. Some point to the next tee also.

-Amazing hole variety. There's straight holes, doglegs, long, short (not many), open, lightly wooded, heavily wooded, flat, hilly, and even water holes.

-And finally, last but definitely not least, HUGE teepads! The extra holes had regular sized teepads, but the rest had massive teepads that was more enjoyable than one would think.
Cons: Not many.

-There might be a couple people fishing along one of the water holes. I went on a weekday and didn't have any problems.

-A couple tees might be slightly hard to find if it's your first time. Just snap a picture of the course map at the start to take with you and you'll be fine.
Other Thoughts: Be prepared! This is a VERY long course which can get VERY hot on summer days. I strongly recommend eating well before going, and taking a packed lunch with two 32 oz drinks. It was in the 90's when I went and I got to hole #15 before quitting. I was tired, hungry, out of water, and lost a disc. On that note, it's also a good idea to have a floater.

Also, unlike some reviewers said, you don't need to be able to drive accurately 350' to enjoy playing here. If you can throw with some precision 225' to 250', you can still have a good time. Just don't have too high of expectations for your score.

So, be prepared and come to have fun, and it'll be one of the best courses you've played.

Disc Golf Dave

2-4    6/18/2012   7/18/2012
Review By: Disc Golf Dave
Pros: This is a beautiful course with well maintained fairways (with a couple of exceptions), good variety, length that will stand the test of time and new disc golf technology, and I thoroughly enjoyed my game there. There is a good emphasis on shot making and excellent variety in holes.

It is certainly challenging and long enough. This course seems to define the direction course design is taking. I love it.
Cons: A few of the holes are a bit tight. A few of the holes are bit thick with underbrush and tall grass. I got turned around once but found my way OK. The main reason it didn't get a 5 in my book is because a few of the holes don't provide enough shot options.
Other Thoughts: The Cincinnati area is a real disc golf mecca. It is on my short list of places to visit for great disc golf.

Like the new holes

5+    4/6/2012   6/19/2012
Review By: telusive
This review was updated on 7/21/2012
Pros: I really like this course, but it is not always very well maintained. They're adding new holes for example, but when I was there the new holes had not been bushwhacked I suppose. and BUSHwhacked not mowed. This course is just a bit too wild for me in some places. The 1001 foot hole is amazing, for example, but sometimes the grass on the outside is as tall as you are. I know you aren't suppose to end up over there, but we all know it happens.
That being said, this course is not worth all the hype to me, there are better courses in the area (simply because someone cares for them more) but if you are in the area this is a beast you should look into.
There was a tournament there recently, so it is probably in decent shape around June 2012, but probably only temporarily.
The new holes include a lot more water, which I think was really missing from this course previously.
Cons: Hardly ever well maintained in some places, but immaculate in others. The new additional holes and some other holes have rough that is definately that.
Other Thoughts: Very nice area that this park is in, there's a dog park nearby also.

The Beast Within

1    6/12/2011   6/14/2011
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: The one thing you will walk away with from this course is the realization that someone really took the time to make this course their baby. This is a very good course that makes use of some amazing land. This course is an incredible challenge that really rewards good shots and lucky shots. There are absolutely no filler holes on this course. Every hole will make you think and make you want to come back and try it again. The course plays through a park with other amenities, mostly ball fields. There is a trash bucket at every hole. There are port-o-potties at various places. Nice concrete tee pads, nice tee signs. The course is well maintained and genuinely has the feel of a real golf course. That is not something that happens often with disc golf courses. I really thought the way they mowed the brush did well to penalize shots that do not land in the fairway. There was a surprisingly low number of bugs on this course considering the conditions. The benches at every hole were a very nice touch.
Cons: This course is a beast for anyone of any skill level the first time you play it. The new six holes are a bit of a challenge to find unless you really know what to look for. Some of the other holes are confusing as well, in particular hole 14 with its two very different tee pads. There are no real tee signs for these six holes as of yet. Hole E plays through a high foot traffic area of fishers. This course will discourage beginers. The trees just off the fairway in many places are so thick they they over penalize a bad or unlucky shot. Some of the places where water does exist in pools are places to avoid as it was near impossible to find two discs my group threw in there.
Other Thoughts: This course is not perfect. It is really really good, even phenominal, but not perfect. This course is epic and I particularly liked Hole 1, 3, The Y hole and hole 16. The directions on thsi site are very good and will get you to where you need to be. You will definately want to bring water when you come and you will definately want to play this course at some point.

Get ready for a challenge

5+    3/26/2011   3/26/2011
Review By: culinarywiz
Pros: If you are looking for a challenge, you have found one. You had better pack a lunch for this effort. This course is prepared to exploit your weaknesses. If you can't throw 350ft., it will cost you. If you cant carve technical lines, you will pay. If you are not willing to play smart and reserved at times, you will spend time in the funk. You will have to plan your shots here.

Fantastic length. I typically always play long tee's, no matter where I am. Not here. The short tee's are quite enough. From the shorts you have holes in the following distances;
1 = 1000+ ft
3 = 600+ ft
2 = 500+ ft
2 = 400+ ft
2 = 300+ ft
6 = 200+ ft
2 = 100+ ft
How is that for balance? Oh, and those six 200+ ft holes - they are loaded with elevation changes and technical lines that give each one of them character.

Even though this course is long, there are still some nice ace runs. I ran at holes 9, 13 and 14. An ace here is very possible.

This course has multiple signature holes. My personal favorites are - Hole 1. You gotta love going strait from your car to a 650 ft bomb, over a gorgeous field, that gradually narrows as it gets to the pin. Hole 10. This is a true dog leg. It is approx 250 feet to the right turn, then about 350 feet to the guarded pin. Hole 11. This is the "KY" hole. You shoot through a mando that is a tree in the shape of a "Y". It's a down hill shot that turns left after the mando. And lastly, hole 15. This is the 1001 footer. The fairway is wide and you can just lay into this one.

This place is beautifully manicured. There is a winding creek that comes in to play on several holes. On all of these holes there are well built bridges (not fallen branches placed in the water) that take you across. There are countless cylindrical blocks forming ledges and banks throughout the course. These blocks form sand traps of OB on some holes. There are clear paths, sometimes graveled and lined (hole 3) that direct you from tee to pin. It is clear that a lot of work has gone into this course.
Cons: There are a few holes that keep this course from being a 5 for me. Holes 5 and 6, in particular. I have had success on these holes at times but more often I feel I am subject to random ricochets. Both of these holes challenge you to play reserved and controlled, with multiple landing zones. The problem for me lies in the seemingly unnatural lines and/or obstructed lanes getting to the pin.
Other Thoughts: This course belongs in the top ten IMO. It is pro caliber and has great character. Playing this course is like work, though. It can be frustrating. It can be punishing. It can also be rewarding and fun. When I have a good round here, I know that I was really on my game and I earned it.

This is absolutely worthy of a road trip. I drive down from Columbus many times per year to play this course. I like to team it up with Banklick (Lincoln Ridge Park) and Mount Airy in Cinci.

From an Intermediate & short tees & Baskets (you may want to read other thoughts first)

2-4    10/24/2010   11/19/2010
Review By: Matthew boals
Pros: as I step up for my first drive I noticed the VERY nice Houck tees signs (much needed since the last time I was here),bench,full size trash can and the good size concrete tee. #1 named "Bluegrass Parkway" (a;640',b;570') The very wide and long grassy fairway seems a little intimidating,but I've thrown 600' fairways before,why be?....the wind! The fairway is surrounded by mature trees on three sides. With underbrush on the left and cleaned out on the right. One tall & wide tree in the middle,I shot a 5.  #2 "Got your "A" Game" (a;505',b;370') The right side of the fairway has rolling mounds with smaller diameter trees with no underbrush. The left side is obviously the preferred flight path.1st basket location is on the side of a mound before the paved trail.The 2nd basket location plays over both the trail & water. Shot a 4. #3 "Respect the Oak" (a;420',b;390',c;455') The 1st 2/3 of the fairway is open with the creek,lined with trees,on your left. My goal; get to the Oak,not today in this wind. As I get passed the Oak I see the basket protected by smaller diameter trees & all of the blood,sweat & tears put into the course by some very motivated DGers,Thank you. Shot a 4. #4 "For the Girls" (a;225',b;175') After walking the "Hall of Fame" path you'll find a somewhat tight fairway. Then opens up to a grassy fairway. Basket was in the "long" position. Which plays over the trail and behind a cluster of smaller diameter trees. Shot a 5....hit a tree off the tee & didn't play the wind correctly coming out of the woods,putt was low hit the basket. #5 "Can't drive 5"? (Sign bolt blocking part of the name) (a;510',b;360') 1st 1/4 of the fairway open, with the "landing area",as marked on the tee sign, just inside the tree line. Then goes uphill to the right with scattered trees and less underbrush on the right. Shot a 5. #6 "Daniel Boone Trail" (a;587',b;360') Very narrow (15-20') wide fairway with a small incline from the tee. Has a few trees in the middle of the Fairway. Shot a 5. #7 "Tori's Alley" (a;259',b;235') An even more narrow fairway than #6 (10') little underbrush the first half, on both sides.Curves right over a small slope basket is protected by 4 trees. Forcing a low canopy putt. Shot a 3. #8 "Green Acres is the place to be" (a;368',b;309') Tee from near the bottom of a valley,with the creek on your right. The fairway gets tighter as it slopes up to the basket,placed on top of a mound. It will give your disc back to you....it did me. Shot a 5. #9 "No Fear" (a;195',b;200') From a "high" point drive thru the 12' fairway over a "creek" to a hillside basket,giving a roll-a-way green. Shot a 3. #10 "I'm just warming up....Hoo Yaa!" (a;642,b;581') A dogleg right after a 235' drive. Then I'm looking at a 350' 2nd drive into the open grassy hillside. With the basket on the left behind a line of trees. Shot a 7. I'm renaming this hole; "Screwed". #11 "KY Gap" (a;500',b;457') A.K.A. The "Signature hole" A downhill narrow fairway with thick brush on both sides. Drive thru the famous "Y" for setting yourself up for your second drive....careful on your placement you gotta land between the winding creek. Shot a 4. Feeling good, hit a 35' putt! #12 "Thread the needle" (a;134') the name says it ALL, look at the picture! The fairway is,at most, 7' wide! Shot a 4. #13 I forgot to get the hole name (a;580',b;469',c;237') Somewhat Open fairway that tested my accuracy & distance. The basket is to the right. Shot a 3. I'll rename it "thankful for the "C" position". #14 "Heeey easy here" (234')? An uphill drive over a creek with smaller diameter trees on either side of the creek. Ace Run!?.... Not today,for me. Shot a 3. #15 "Air it out....And out" (1001') Since the last time I played the tall grass was let to grow,still 5' tall!? Damn! Anyway,I just tried to drive,as I did the wind took my first drive up then down before it reached the tall grass on the left. Mulligan! Hey, it's not a tourney and no money is on it. Tee off again,make it just over the first "valley". Then into the tall grass both on the left and right. Shoot to the tree line with the basket just over the creek surrounded by a handful of trees. Shot a 7...O.K. 8 with the mulligan. #16 "Land between the creek" (a;445',b;339') I believe this is the "Signature hole". When it's freshly cut and "Picture perfect" this is one of the most beautiful holes I've ever played! Ball golf quality greens. Play over the winding creek 4 times,in the short position. 6 times in the long position. Shot a 4! My .02.....rename it "Winding creek fairway"? #17 "Overdue for a Duce" (222') drive up a gentle incline with the fairway getting narrower as you approach the basket. Shot a 4. #18 "Y'all come back now ya hear" (651') Fairly wide and open fairway with more underbrush on the right. Hitting a tree before the first "ridge" on my drive. Then another tree over the "Valley". A few more times before I get into the open & the wind. Shot a 6. I believe that an 81,82 with the mulligan!
Cons: No Scorecards available. A few Footbridges need more support. #3 to #4,#9, 2nd bridge on #16. #13"C" position needs an inner set of chains. With the wind gusting to 35-40 mph the International airport was redirecting flights right over the park,Every 20-30 minutes. Low enough to read the Airlines name. New housing across the street? Alot more people using the park, Not as secluded as I remember. But with the leaves down your gonna "feel" less secluded and hear other park users.
Other Thoughts: First let me tell everyone It's been 5/6 years since I last played here. I have a noodle arm drive (225+,-). my approach,I believe,is the best part of my game. I'm good on my putts for about 30'. As I drive into the park,taking the first left to get the the parking lot, I noticed it's been paved. Portable toilets are now available,nice! It's a clear blue sky hitting 55 degrees and windy as hell. Constant wind of 10-15 mph & gusting to 35-40....it's gonna be interesting. All the leaves are off the trees and,as I tee up to #1,I notice the added practice basket. I decide not to take advantage of it and go to #1 tee. After your round take a right out of the park and enjoy the newly paved hilly winding road back to the interstate,about 15-20 minutes. A Thank you goes not only Fred Salaz & Bob Herbert for designing the course but to park employee Kevin Brasher for mowing & trash removal(As stated in LStephens review). I had a great time, even with the wind. I'll be back next summer to enjoy this beauty in it's full bloom. I'll play both the long tees & basket placements...let's see if I can keep my score in double digits!? Enjoy!

Now I See the Light

2-4    10/10/2010   10/14/2010
Review By: SmoothSailor
Pros: This course has it all - long, short, open, technical, hills, flat, up and down and even some water. Now I see why everyone is always talking about this course.
Cons: There is one criss-cross of a trail leading off on basket to the next tee going right through a fairway about 100 feet to the left. Other than that, nothing.
Other Thoughts: This course was awesome. My friend and I tried playing this course as our 4th course for the day, made it to hole 8 and had to stop but we hit it the next day 1st thing with a vengeance. This course is quite a sight playing at the crack of dawn and watching the sun rise in your face driving on hole 2.

< Prev 1 2 3