Burlington, KY

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12
My new favorite

1    7/12/2016   7/12/2016
Review By: AHagglund
Pros: It's not shocking that Idlewild is my new favorite course; by the looks of it, Idlewild is A LOT of peoples' favorite course. What is unusual, however, is that I knew it would be my new favorite course after only the first 5 or 6 holes.

The course is serene, clean, and most importantly, fair. It is certainly challenging, but not so much that the course becomes a grind. Every time I made a bad shot, my first instinct was to go back and try again, because there weren't any shots that were so silly difficult that I didn't feel I had a chance. (This is a huge plus for me. The shots that I felt would be good out of my hand usually were, and the same was true with the bad; I felt like I got what I deserved either way. On some exceptionally tough courses, it almost feels like luck is as big of a factor as skill; who gets the good bounce of the tree, who gets kicked OB, etc.) Other positives:

Despite the huge expanse of the park, navigation is not an issue.

Despite all the water hazards, prairie, and forests, it's hard to lose a disc (especially compared to courses of similar difficulty).

Despite how much other activity goes on in the park, it never interferes with the course.

Favorite holes: probably 3, 11, and 16. All of the ones that run along the stream, actually. All in all a great course that I wish I could play every day.
Cons: I honestly can't think of any. Alternate tee pads maybe?
Other Thoughts: I am re-scaling all of my ratings to account for Idlewild.

DG heaven

5+    6/12/2015   5/31/2016
Review By: Cerealman
Pros: * Variety -- every hole is different and offers its own challenges. Idlewild offers an excellent mixture between wooded and open, hilly and flat, short and long.
* Very few "filler" holes (maybe #F, if I'm being picky)
* A mental challenge -- accuracy is paramount, so consider each shot carefully. It you "throw and hope," you'll likely be sorry.
* Beauty -- the most aesthetically pleasing course I've encountered. I've seen deer and squirrels and birds and lush green fairways and vibrant wildflowers ... hence the review title.
* Peaceful -- I've played Idlewild at least half a dozen times and typically have the park almost to myself.
* Artistic tee signage -- just one of the many touches that makes Idlewild great.
* Challenging -- when you make a par (or birdie) at Idlewild, you earned it!
Cons: * Could use a couple more navigation signs indicating "next tee."
* Can get muddy at times.
Other Thoughts: Idlewild is an excellent benchmark for disc golf courses.

Not for the faint of arm

1    5/16/2016   5/18/2016
Review By: Taylor510ce
Pros: Thoughtful, fair, and makes you use your entire arsenal of shot selection, and your brain.
Cons: If the grass is high, it's hellacious. If you can't throw more than 300-320' on a drive, you might have a hard time making par.
Other Thoughts: Beautiful work with the club to do what they have done with it. This course has teeth if you can't hit the landing zones. But if you take it a chunk at a time, you can do this!

Top Course in the Country

5+    3/12/2016   5/18/2016
Review By: Jowsepi
Pros: This is a professional Disc golf course that will make you use every throw you know. If you play the strict OB this course really pushes you. The greens are very unique and help to set this course apart.
Cons: This course is not for beginners. If you are new to the sport, you may be better of going down the road 5 minutes to Boone Woods.
Other Thoughts: A group of 4 will take over 2 hours to play if you are doing all 24 holes. Take your time to enjoy this beautiful park.

A disc golf destination

2-4    3/14/2016   5/14/2016
Review By: DoctorC
Pros: What else can I say, I've been golfing for a long time and this is easily one of the best courses I've played. Truly a course you travel to play - a disc golf destination.
Cons: No casual rounds here :)
Other Thoughts: Just a fantastic course!

One of the best around!

5+    6/9/2015   5/9/2016
Review By: bangtailsaints
Pros: Will make you throw every shot in your arsenal. Beautiful island greens and running streams. One of the prettiest courses around. To truly experience Idlewild you have to play 24 longs. The water shots are awesome.Bring water and a snack!
Cons: Summertime brings the ticks. Make sure you check yourself after your round!
Other Thoughts: Don't think about it, it's worth the trip hop in the car and grab some friends and some disc!

The name says it all!

1    7/4/2015   7/5/2015
Review By: jscincy1
This review was updated on 7/6/2015
Pros: - While its not the best maintained course I have ever seen, it still finishes high. When you take in the amount of acreage in up keeping this course its kept nice.

-The tee signage is probably the best I have seen. The multiply pin placements and having a marker on the side if the tee signs marking the pins was great!

- Even though the concrete is showing some wear the nice long boxes are in great condition.

-Shot variety is the spice of life here. With multiple "pure" placement shots of the tee, the second shot is key to success. With that said a hzyer line of the tee (rhbh) often force an anny or forehand on the approach.

-Coming from playing a lot courses that usually play 54 par from all tees this was a rude awakening. This course in my opinion is championship caliber. I was not ready for it by any means and put up a terrible showing by the end of the day but it was worth every second.
Cons: *Disclaimer* Every course has it cons, however I feel as if Idlewild's doesn't detract from its over all score as much as people would think. If you can look past the minor things, you see the beauty.

-Navigation. With added letter holes, multiple tee pads someone is bound to get lost here. A few well placed signs on the end of F, 12, and 13 short would negate this completely.

-Multiple pins on one hole. This was a new thing for me and didn't really enjoy it. On 3 the short basket gets in the way, for me at least, on the approach to the other pin. This is just more a nit pick though on my part.
Other Thoughts: Idlewild is a long course. If you are not in great shape and plan on playing all 24 holes pack a lunch and take a break halfway through. If you are remotely tired towards the end this course will eat you and spit you out. With that said this place sits on special land and you can feel it. Must play for any fan of high level disc golf... Even if you cant throw at a high level yourself!

Greatest Course

2-4    5/5/2010   6/5/2015
Review By: blclevenger2
Pros: I cant say anything that hasn't already been stated. It's easily my favourite course.
Cons: NONE
Other Thoughts: Beautiful lines that require you to bring strategy into consideration. The follow was awesome and never felt rushed while playing. It was like having an entire course all to my self.

Too much fun to pass up

5+    4/5/2015   4/9/2015
Review By: therevjoe
This review was updated on 4/18/2015
Pros: Technical, long,difficult, water, 24 holes...what more could you ask for?,
Cons: I have no complaints about Idlewild
Other Thoughts: Started playing here last fall, and as a beginner, it was an eye opener. WOW! This game is not easy! Played there all winter. Even in the snow. Have not even come close to par yet, but still have to list this as my favorite place to play. Playing all 24 holes is definitely a challenge, but the course is simply too much fun to pass up the chance.

Top Tier Course

2-4    3/25/2015   4/1/2015
Review By: joshtrum
This review was updated on 4/7/2015
Pros: - Very well maintained and groomed course
- Mutliple pin placements
- professional level
Other Thoughts: Idlewild is arguably the best course in the KOI Tri-State area if not in the entire US. The course is a mix of open distance holes combined with technical wooded fairways. This course is an incredibly challenging course that doesn't feel too hard due to the incredible quality of the design combined with the fun of playing it. Even holes that feel like gimme holes aren't necesarilly gimmes. Multiple pin placements keep the course feeling refreshed while changing it up and the water hazards combined with the tight technical wooded holes make this course an incredibly difficult but exciting course to play. If you get the chance and have not played here, you are doing a disservice to yourself by not playing here.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12