Burlington, KY
Idlewild Share
Uploaded By: Dawgii Hole #13 (Taken 10/2012)
Hole #13 Mid-Fairway: Basket is over creek bed and to the right

1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 15
 Even in a pouring rain...

1    5/30/2009   3/22/2010
Review By: EddieBTrue
Pros: What else can be said other than your very first hole is 600+ feet down the side of an immaculately cared for hillside the trees on all three sides and a view of a considerable amount of the park to boot! This is the longest DG course I have played that is not also a part of a ball golf layout; so be prepared to probably 2-3 times as much trekking as you would normally play. Throwing at baskets on 'islands' makes one think back to the great shots during the US Open ball golf tourney's at Pebble Beach!
Cons: When I played this course on Memorial Day 2009 some of the signs were errant or in need of repair which is the only 'gig' I'm giving this course.
Other Thoughts: My son and I played Idylwild in a non-stop rain; and we finished with 100 for me and 101 for him. While this may seem attrocious, keep in mind that we were thoroughly soaked to the bone; and when we finished our round their were 3 other player's sitting in the parking lot for which Idylwild is their home course; and all 3 of them had just carded 100's as well; so we were heartened a tad by that.

Freaking Idlewild!!

1    3/10/2010   3/10/2010
Review By: ElementZ
This review was updated on 9/28/2011
Pros: I don't even know where to begin. I went into this park knowing that Idlewild was the number one course in the nation and was expecting to be let down (since I'm a big believer in "happiness = reality - expectations") and I had HUGE expectations. Little did I know, that this was going to be the funniest round of disc golf I'd ever play. Every single hole is unique and unbelievably fun and exciting. This course really takes a lot of energy and stamina to get through it, but every single second is so much fun. I drove 5 hours to get here (from central Illinois) and was not let down in the slightest. I literally jumped in joy 5 or 6 times throughout my Idlewild experience because some of the shots were so much fun. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I'm sure that you can relate to me if you think about your first Idlewild encounter. I'm really happy to give this course my first 5 out of 5. It was unlike any course I've ever played. I really can't even describe it, but I promise you I was smiling probably 95% of the time, and the 5% I wasn't smiling was because I was laughing. It was a blast! I HIGHLY recommend making the trip out here, no matter what it takes!
Cons: As I said in the pros, this course is very energy draining. I was hoping to play a few other courses the day I was in Cincinnati, but this is the only one I ended up playing.
By no means was I disappointed though!
I honestly can't think of any other cons though, hence 5/5. :)
Other Thoughts: If you haven't played here, get here ASAP! This was probably the most fun and most memorable thing I've done in the last 2 or 3 years. As I said earlier, it's definitely worth the drive because this course is just plain awesome. When I saw the signature Y tree, I took like 20 pictures because I was so excited. It's a tremendous course that I can't wait to play again!

Great course - great challenge

5+    8/16/2009   2/16/2010
Review By: paulw
Pros: There are courses that are just as good as it gets -- Idlewild is one of them. The challenge is extreme and the location everything that a great disc golf course needs. There's elevation, water, unsurpassed landscaping/grounds-keeping, great signs, fabulous tees, risk-taking design, uncompromising excellence.
Cons: An on-site disc golf pro shop would help.
Other Thoughts: I have been unable to play Idlewild lately but I've been lucky enough to have played it several times even though I live on the east coast. I miss it -- playing there is a real challenge.

Epic.

5+    6/7/2009   1/16/2010
Review By: ChrisWoj
Pros: "This is like 18 of my favorite safari holes back-to-back-to-back, all thrown onto one course." - close friend playing his first Idlewild round.

This course has everything. It has distance, it has accuracy, it has water and elevation. There are par 4's and 5's that come together as a result of distance, and some that come together from a need for placement shots off the tee. There are par 5's that are eagle'able. There are par 3's that are ridiculously hard. There are even a few must deuce par 3's mixed in to keep you interested. Distances range from 200' to 1000'. Holes range from wide open field shots to tight tunnels and gap hits. Uphill, downhill. Over valleys. You name it, Idlewild probably has it. Island greens and risk/reward shots galore.
Cons: Part of that 18 holes of safari golf back-to-back-to-back comes from having a few holes that feel like safari holes. Hole 8 is an important example. Hole 13 to its long basket can feel this way, as well. Hole 13's short basket is also an old model.

Hole 16 is also something unique - it is a spray and pray hole because of the way the water/OB plays, especially when playing to the long basket. You have to give it a rip and just hope you don't slide into the OB or connect with the inside of a creek bank and wind up inside the bricks that mark the OB.
Other Thoughts: This course isn't perfect. But I'm not complaining. This is my second favorite course (Highbridge Gold beats it, in my eyes). It is a grinder's course, but at the same time it is so beautiful, so epic and such an experience, that I never feel like I'm grinding out a round on it. Not even in driving rain and cold winds.

Do yourself a favor and play Idlewild if you have a chance. It is almost everything you want in a disc golf course.

Most challenging course I have played.

2-4    10/24/2009   12/3/2009
Review By: landon77
This review was updated on 2/16/2010
Pros: *
-Hardest course I have ever played, hands down. A fantastic challenge.
-Great scenery.
-Epic Holes. Hole #11 is probably the signature hole on the course. It is quite striking and the pin placement on the island is really neat.
-Best water holes of any course I have played.
-1000 foot hole has an awesome downhill approach.
-Best signs of any course I have played.
-Best tee pads of any course I have played.
-Around 7-9 memorable holes 1,2,3,8,10,11,15 and 16 come to mind.
-Long course made for the big throwers!
-Ample parking
Cons: *
-Some of the OUT OF BOUNDS rules are short and tight. The land allowed for more room and I felt a little more use would up the 'fun' factor.
-Somewhat low fun factor due to the challenging nature of the course. I believe this course would be a turnoff for the casual player.
-Some of the signs had pics of different baskets that were not there. A little confusing.
Other Thoughts: *
-Really ridiculous hard challenges. A few holes are up hill in tight woods for about 550-700'.
-Course is made for pro's and advanced players. I can see people becoming frustrated with this course if your a newbie or inexperienced.
-Expect a hard challenge
-Beautiful location and scenery.
-Windy days will affect some of the open holes.
-I really liked and mostly APPRECIATED this course for what it was. An excellent designed and maintained disc golf course that deserves to be rated a 5 for its merits.
Not an easy course in the go out and shoot a Quick round type.
-For all serious disc golfers a trip to Idlewild is worth it to really see how hard and challenging a course can actually be. Good Luck!!

1000 mile round trip...

1    11/27/2009   11/29/2009
Review By: geocachenut
Pros: Very large course. Lots of open water and water hazards. Maintained very well. All fairways were mowed and neatly manicured. Plenty of parking. Great directions to the park.
Cons: While the course had great maps of each hole on each tee pad, each hole had two and sometimes three baskets to chose from that you could visually see on the maps (which to me is a huge mistake)...however not all baskets were in play. You may overthrow the first basket which may be in view...only to discover that the basket you were wishing to play was not there...very discouraging.
The out of bounds on a few holes was rediculous.
Other Thoughts: It was a very nicely laid out course, beautiful. Definately recommend, but after playing Lincoln Ridge, I enjoyed that course much more...if you are in the area, definately go there to give it a try!

Developers take note- this is how you make a course

1    10/10/2009   11/24/2009
Review By: El Oso Peligroso
Pros: This course is always challenging, always fair, and always fun. It's a thinking man's course, almost always requiring you to think a shot ahead, and punishing you if you don't. Numerous par 4s and 5s that definitely earn those extra strokes, and yet still can give you opportunities for birdies.

The course itself is absolutely beautiful, and has the greatest water hazards I've ever played. No. 3 and 16 have creeks that zigzag across the fairways and surround the greens, making for tricky upshots where you have to choose to play it safe or go for it. On top of that, the creeks are lined with tiles that keep the water clear, even on rainy days. This makes retrieving discs a breeze, so taking that risk becomes a little easier.

Cons: I really can't think of any. This course is definitely not for beginners, but that's not really a con. It's tough and it doesn't try to pretend otherwise and I appreciate that. I've been playing nearly a decade and this course beat me down. On hole #6 I scored +5. I haven't had more than a triple bogey in years! That said, it was a fair hole, and I did it to myself by getting into a bad situation instead of thinking about my shots.
Other Thoughts: We played in the rain and still had a blast. Tons of effort went into every hole and it shows. My next vacation is going to be up to Idlewild. Of course it doesn't hurt that it's so close to Mt. Airy, but I want several days with this course.

Play it.

1    8/8/2009   11/10/2009
Review By: bilemshious
Pros: Certainly a must-play course. The course is wonderfully treacherous. This course is most definitely NOT for beginners. It takes a at least a semi-skilled player to have even a hint of fun here. Unless you're a beginner who enjoys hitting trees and throwing six times to reach the basket. However, it does not take a long arm to play this course. You will need to navigate your disc through and around many obstacles. Baskets are placed very well to make every hole completely unique. There is not a single hole that mimics the same shot from another hole here.

Set in the rolling hills and woods of Kentucky, this course is amazingly beautiful. If there was not a disc golf course on this land, I am convinced there would be hiking trails instead. I found myself taking pictures of not only the interesting island hole placements and fairway foliage, but also the walk from the previous basket to the next tee. The well-constructed, simple bridges and stone lined walkways, were indicative of a course that was very much made for disc golf. I couldn't help but appreciate the subtleties. Benches on nearly every hole, provide for a nice rest throughout your hike through the disc golf woods. Everything else is top-notch - baskets and concrete tee pads are in great condition. The tee signs are very detailed with basket placement. Also, they tell you how far out a dogleg or distinctive tree part way down the fairway is.
Cons: This course keeps you on your toes and is extremely difficult. This is great, but it's almost to the point of mental exhaustion. But do you call this a "con"? If this is your first time through, it is tough to navigate. Some holes are blind. Get the skinny guy in your group to run ahead to check out where to throw. But it was my first time to the course, and I made it through without any headaches. There isn't much to count as a negative against this course. I mean, this course will punish poorly thrown shots. You'll be looking for your disc often. There are no trash cans or restrooms anywhere. Those are common complaints, but I can't bring myself to count that against this course to make it anything less than a 5 star course.
Other Thoughts: This is exactly what you want a challenging disc golf course to be. Hole #11 has to be my favorite hole. You must throw through a Y-shaped tree over a creek ~250ft to an open, grassy hill. Then turn 90 degrees left and throw back over the creek another 200ft through some trees to an island green all the while taking in the incredible surroundings. Hardly a review goes by without mentioning hole #15. Easily the longest hole I've thrown, but it was very fun and interesting. I think they added that extra foot so that they could say they have a hole over 1,000ft.

My two buddies and I waited for a group of three to tee off and finish hole #1 before we started. We never saw them again. In fact we didn't see another soul for the rest of the round (except for the man mowing the grass back in the woods who stopped mowing so we could continue). This wasn't because there wasn't anyone playing (the parking lot was full before and after). It's because the course is on such a huge expanse of land. A few of the holes in the back, you are in the middle of nowhere!

This course is not perfect. It is the best course I have ever played. It must be considered one of the "best of the best." It is not a course I would want to play everyday. I would hate myself. But it is definitely worth a trip to check out this amazing disc golf course. If you care enough about disc golf to be checking out reviews of courses, you care enough that you should check this course out before the world ends. Let me know when you do, because I may come meet you there.

Check out the local burger place just outside of the park called The Dug Out. HUGE, cheap burgers with whatever you want on it. Definitely recommend their signature burger (aptly named the Dug Out).

2-4    10/25/2009   10/26/2009
Review By: Mark R
This review was updated on 11/30/2009
Pros: Small but steep and grassy Kentucky hills perfect for disc golf. Excellent, class leading signs and oversized cement tee pads. Lots of bridges make it easy to cross creeks, and water hazards aren't so deep that you can't retrieve your disc after errant throws. Favorite holes include a long (600 feet), and straight mowed grass fairway with trees and moderate slopes on each side (Hole 1), a terrific downhill forest hole with a basket at the bottom across a creek (Hole 13), and the signature Hole 11 with wishbone tree and island basket. Many holes feature grassy, wooded fairways through winding creek areas (2, 3, 11, 16), and others have narrow but defined sloped fairways in wooded areas (7, 8, 9, 10, 14, 17). Hole 15 is a monster 1000 foot meadow hole with a downhill approach that could be a signature hole by itself.
Cons: Some holes are a little too long and tight and have difficult, luck dependent drives (Holes 5, 6 and 16 are the best examples). Course design could be changed to create more holes by splitting up 5, 6, 10 and 15 into smaller holes (15 from the 400 foot mark would be outstanding). Includes a few too many very narrow uphill drives (4, 5, 6, 12, 18) and a relative lack of wide open or overhead shots. Few if any ace opportunities. A couple of navigation hiccups (Holes 4/5 and 11/12 interchanges) but decent overall.
Other Thoughts: Unparalleled challenge (the most difficult course I've ever seen, bar none). Does this make it a better course? You be the judge. Beginners would be discouraged playing here, but that may be an advantage to others. In my opinion, most would have more fun playing the Lincoln Ridge course a few miles away. That's what it's all about, right?

the DG taj mahal

5+    10/1/2009   10/5/2009
Review By: dr.chainslove
Pros: As just about everyone else has already stated, this course is phenomenal in every way. I'll focus on a few of the things that amaze me whenever I play this course.
Hole 11 is about as beautiful of a tee shot as a course can have (see the pic in photos section!). I jokingly think this course was designed around the Y-shaped tree in the middle of the downhill fairway. shoot through the Y downhill though the narrow fairway and hope to avoid the creek. After a 60 degree dogleg left, the hole finishes on a tiny man-made green with OB lurking everywhere.
The crazy amount of MONEY and EFFORT thrown into this park is unbelieveable! there must be a lawn crew out there weekly mowing and trimming around thousands and thousands of trees throughout hilly terrain. You might cross 50 (many unique) bridges while navigating the course. Probably 6 holes have greens placed in bends of the winding creek to make a moat-like boundary around the baskets. Round wooden or concrete shafts tightly hammered together make good looking borders for these "moats." This place has the longest concrete tees I've ever seen and the signs are amazing.
Cons: I actually get excited about shooting 18+ (playing everything as a 3). Idlewild does not allow many birdies. That's all I got for negatives
Other Thoughts: After the most fulfilling day of disc golf that you can have is done, you get to empty your bag shooting 360ft across a soccer field to the soccer goals on the way back to the car (I know I'm not the only one who does this!)--a great way to make sure that you've effectively destroyed yourself for the day. ahhh, can't wait to play it again!!

1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 15