Burlington, KY
Idlewild Share
Uploaded By: Dawgii Hole #13 (Taken 10/2012)
Hole #13 Basket to Tee (Short Position)

1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 16
Almost Perfection

1    5/15/2010   5/17/2010
Review By: JohtoVillage
This review was updated on 6/25/2014
Pros: One of the most beautiful courses in the world, Idlewild is certainly a treat to play. The course forces a player to master technicality, distance, and endurance. More than half of the holes at Idlewild could be considered signature holes at other courses. The maintenance of the park is top notch, and the alternate pins make things interesting. The island greens were certainly a treat to be able to play, and overall the course was amazing.

One of the best things I can say for this course is that it will make you a better player. The course forces you to hit lines that are very difficult and challenging. Throwing these kind of shots will help you become a better player and Idlewild does this very well.

The attention to detail at this course is almost that of a nice ball golf course. I could not believe the beauty of some of the brick lined greens. That is not something you find at most disc golf courses. It certainly adds a lot of character to the course.
Cons: While I understand what Idlewild is about, the main and only con I will provide is the fun factor. While I certainly appreciate the mystique, the challenge, the landscape, the island greens, the out of bounds that Idlewild offers, the course just wasn't a ton of fun. While it was fun to look at the holes and play most of the holes, when I get done I was emotionally and physically exhausted and I had only thrown 72 strokes.

That is really the only thing holding this course back from being a 5 star rated course. This course was not designed to be a casual walk in the woods. It was not designed to be "fun" per se. This course was designed to challenge gold rated disc golf players. It was designed to punish mediocrity. Whereas a course like Flyboy Aviation is full of fun, this course reminds me of Iron Hill. You just will not have a ton of fun playing this course, but the beauty and character try to make you forget about that!
Other Thoughts: While Idlewild is a treat and marvel to play and look at, don't expect to have a lot of fun here. This course is one of the hardest courses I have ever played - West Lake in the Quad Cities from the longs is the only course I have played that would compare. So while I appreciate and respect what the course is about (which I think is to be different than everything disc golf has to offer), this course is extremely difficult and thus why I gave the course a rating of 4.5

Almost Paradigm

1    5/16/2010   5/17/2010
Review By: Jarrod
Pros: Idlewild has excellent land to work with and the designers made very good use of the terrain to create picturesque, challenging holes that force you to carefully approach every shot. The course is well cared for and things like litter and graffiti are almost non-existent. This course is rightly called "epic".
Cons: The designers definitely set out to create a tough course but lets face it - any hole is challenging if you don't cut down any trees. Several holes have ridiculously convoluted and obfuscated flight paths to hit where your shot basically becomes a roll of the dice. In the same vein, six or seven holes have truly mystifying OB rules where even an excellent shot is considered OB because it is 1 ft outside the designated green.
Other Thoughts: Idlewild is truly something special - you don't really play the course, it plays you and forces you to perform at the top of your game. Your hometown course will feel like pitch-and-putt after a round through Idlewild. Don't go into the round expecting to play well - you won't; this course is something that you simply experience rather than actually enjoy.

Idlewild is great.

1    5/11/2010   5/16/2010
Review By: Petercules
Pros: This course had many long holes with clear directions on where the baskets were located. Beautiful course with great landscaping to make out of bounds obvious.
Cons: Tough to think of anything. Didn't realize there were mandatories on some of the holes from the tee but the mandatories were clearly marked once you arrived upon them.
Other Thoughts: Great course that I am looking forward to playing again.

Fun in the rain

1    5/2/2010   5/13/2010
Review By: tcecil
Pros: I played this course the day after the KY derby in the rain. It was not cold weather, just rainy. On thing that this course has in these conditions is lots of water hazards with swift creeks that eat discs, but this makes it all the more interesting (you can stomp around in the creeks and have a good chance of finding your disc though). The tee pads were not too bad in the rain, but the water, mud and length make it very challenging.

The hole maps at each tee are pretty good and the grass is cut short which makes this course awesome considering how much grass there is.
Cons: I played it alone and it was sometimes hard to know which pin was in play. Some holes have so many trees that it seems like it would be just luck to get it through them rather than having the option to use skill.

Top Course

5+    4/13/2010   5/11/2010
Review By: Chainchaser
Pros: Well what can be added to what has already been said. The biggest pro is that it is not one of those courses where every hole is a par 3. You have to be on your top game when playing here and it will either bring the best out in you or beat you down. I play this course every so often to really get a gauge were I stand and generally it tells me I have a long way to go. Every hole will use a different part of your game from distance to accuracy. Accuracy being the main goal here over distance even though this is a long course. The tee signs are awesome and the course is well maintained.
Cons: The only thing is maybe the RR facilities are lacking but that is a park thing more than a course thing.
Other Thoughts: If you visit this course remember where and what you are playing. This is a pro course and you should view it as such.

be open minded and versitile

5+    5/3/2010   5/3/2010
Review By: hippiezymurgy
Pros: Well laid out course with many different challenges. will make you use all your throws and hopefully work on some new ones as well. I really suggest you take this course on for the first time with a packed lunch and 3-4 hours to play.
Cons: one bathroom location, difficult for the beginner, multi tee pins and tee pads can be confusing to the first timer on this course.
Other Thoughts: pack it in pack it out people there are buckets and cans for your waste so please keep this course a clean one. happy disc golfing.

Not fun for the average player

1    4/23/2010   4/24/2010
Review By: Paulychains
Pros: The course itself was well cared for. Certainly,
a lot of time and money has been put into the
Cons: Unfortunately, the course is not at all designed for the average player. I play weekly and have slowly gotten better over the years, but this course has nothing to offer me. It's too long, too narrow and has too many crazy out of bounds. It was frustrating and not enjoyable at all. Lincoln Ridge Park is much better for all the reasons mentioned above.
Other Thoughts: I like a challenge and don't mind playing difficult courses. Be warned that if you are
not a pro, get ready for a beat-down.

Best Course I've Ever Played!!!!

2-4    6/8/2009   4/6/2010
Review By: ProOffense
Pros: EVERYTHING. If your are an avid disc golfer, and this course is not on your "played" list, start thinking about making a trip. Book a flight, gas the car, call your friends and make the trip. In my opinion, If disc golf was ball golf, this course would be the Augusta National. You and your friends will have a blast playing and will become an addict like everyone else who plays here.
Cons: The only cons I can think of, for one, i don't live closer. And two, there is not an office building or a sort of pro shop. At least a building to obtain a map or score card.
Other Thoughts: The reason I gave this course a 5 instead of a 4.5, Best of the Best besides Phenomenal, Is because I'm sure if a tourney was being played there then the course would be freshly cut and even more maicured than it was when i played it.

Even in a pouring rain...

1    5/30/2009   3/22/2010
Review By: EddieBTrue
Pros: What else can be said other than your very first hole is 600+ feet down the side of an immaculately cared for hillside the trees on all three sides and a view of a considerable amount of the park to boot! This is the longest DG course I have played that is not also a part of a ball golf layout; so be prepared to probably 2-3 times as much trekking as you would normally play. Throwing at baskets on 'islands' makes one think back to the great shots during the US Open ball golf tourney's at Pebble Beach!
Cons: When I played this course on Memorial Day 2009 some of the signs were errant or in need of repair which is the only 'gig' I'm giving this course.
Other Thoughts: My son and I played Idylwild in a non-stop rain; and we finished with 100 for me and 101 for him. While this may seem attrocious, keep in mind that we were thoroughly soaked to the bone; and when we finished our round their were 3 other player's sitting in the parking lot for which Idylwild is their home course; and all 3 of them had just carded 100's as well; so we were heartened a tad by that.

Freaking Idlewild!!

1    3/10/2010   3/10/2010
Review By: ElementZ
This review was updated on 9/28/2011
Pros: I don't even know where to begin. I went into this park knowing that Idlewild was the number one course in the nation and was expecting to be let down (since I'm a big believer in "happiness = reality - expectations") and I had HUGE expectations. Little did I know, that this was going to be the funniest round of disc golf I'd ever play. Every single hole is unique and unbelievably fun and exciting. This course really takes a lot of energy and stamina to get through it, but every single second is so much fun. I drove 5 hours to get here (from central Illinois) and was not let down in the slightest. I literally jumped in joy 5 or 6 times throughout my Idlewild experience because some of the shots were so much fun. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I'm sure that you can relate to me if you think about your first Idlewild encounter. I'm really happy to give this course my first 5 out of 5. It was unlike any course I've ever played. I really can't even describe it, but I promise you I was smiling probably 95% of the time, and the 5% I wasn't smiling was because I was laughing. It was a blast! I HIGHLY recommend making the trip out here, no matter what it takes!
Cons: As I said in the pros, this course is very energy draining. I was hoping to play a few other courses the day I was in Cincinnati, but this is the only one I ended up playing.
By no means was I disappointed though!
I honestly can't think of any other cons though, hence 5/5. :)
Other Thoughts: If you haven't played here, get here ASAP! This was probably the most fun and most memorable thing I've done in the last 2 or 3 years. As I said earlier, it's definitely worth the drive because this course is just plain awesome. When I saw the signature Y tree, I took like 20 pictures because I was so excited. It's a tremendous course that I can't wait to play again!

1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 16