Burlington, KY
Idlewild Share
Uploaded By: Dawgii Hole #10 (Taken 10/2012)
4 / 647ft.   4 / 647ft.   4 / 647ft.   4 / 647ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #10 Mid-Fairway

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 17
Idelwild Put A Comfortable But Serious Butt Whippin On Me!

1    8/14/2016   8/16/2016
Pros: I played Idelwild the morning after playing Mt. Airy. The difference, to me, was that I just felt a little more pressure free playing Idelwild. Idelwild allows you to relax for a hole here and there. Now part of this might be because my local host Jeff (Sisyphus), had our group of four playing what they called Idel MILD. Apparently when playing Idel MILD you:

1. Don't play the numbered holes, only the original 18.
2. Are allowed extra mulligans as you see fit.
3. Aren't real concerned with established OB lines, especially those on or around the greens.
4. Play from the "shorts".

Idelwild has solid, but not overwhelming awesome, amenities, as a destination should have. Everything is fine but it's the course and it's challenging but fair lines, that are the drawing card here. Playing from the "Longs", this course would be world class challenging.

I llove the amount of engineering that has gone into the course. Only Bryant Park in Minneapolis ranks higher in terms of overall landscaping, bridges, elevated and creative tee pads, stairs and basket area landscaping.

I think the smallish carpet greens on # 4 and 15 with surrounding OB have to add almost a stroke to everyone's score. Is there another hole with these carpet greens that I'm missing?

# 15 is a classic hole with it's 1000' length, fairly narrow fairway with the tall grass on each side and then the long sloping hill to that miniscule landing area. I found the entire hole rather intimidating but it would be great television to watch the top pros tackle it.

What I like about Idelwild is that, if an old few player such as myself, can actually hit his lines, he can enjoy playing this incredibly challenging course. I probably should clarify that by pointing out, I'm talking about playing from the "Short tees". From the "Longs", forget it, I shoot 100 over par. It wouldn't matter what lines I hit.

Cons: The Saturday morning that our group played, they were in agreement that the course was in the worst shape they had ever seen it. And Jeff has played it close to 100 times. There was a big ole branch down over the bench on one hole, lots of smaller branches down in other places and the course was in need of a mowing. Personally, I thought it was in great shape. My standards are greatly affected after playing dozens of mediocre courses on this road trip.

Idelwild has world class holes, challenge wise. What it lacks is that hole that people want to empty their bag on, the awesome top of the world shot. I can't see players wanting to empty their bag on 15? Can you say, how many will end up in the prairie grass?

My other con is personal but for me it can affect my rating. Although Idelwild is in a pretty park, it's scenery is not stunningly, take your breath away, magnificent like many of my favorite courses. Two that come quickly to mind are, Beaver Ranch in Colorado and Whistler's Bend in central Oregon. Both have incredibly, beautiful long downhill throws that you love to watch your disc sail away on.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed the relaxed round I had here at Idelwild. From the "Shorts", the playing can be comfortable, certainly not easy, no, never easy. Easy is not a word that in any way describes Idelwild.

Thanks to Jeff for putting group together and also to Troy and Steve for their insight and humor.

Like Mt. Airy, I have struggled with my rating for Idelwild. I'd be very comfortable (there's that word again) giving it a 4.75, if I could. But because of the less than impeccable grooming of the course and the lack of that one incredible hole, I'm taking .25 off for each and forced to bestow a 4.5 rating on Idelwild.

A Great course that needs some TLC

2-4    8/13/2016   8/15/2016
Review By: UFM82
Pros: As has been stated, a very challenging course that will test your mettle. Long holes, short holes, technical holes, open bombers and elevation changes throughout make for a course that never seems to repeat. While playing all 24 holes will wear you out, it will be physical and you will leave wanting more. One of my top 3 in the area.
Cons: Not a course for beginners or those with a tendency to throw off course. Water can and will eat discs, the grass on 15 especially is a source of heartache for many (although a goldmine for those willing to suffer some shin-destroying search missions) and there is no water or restrooms on the course except for at #1.
Be also aware that this is a community park and other events occur there. When we played the local Fire and Police departments were there doing a deal and the kids blew the horns on the trucks for 4 solid hours. Also there was a high school cross country meet there and there were groups running on the course. That was interesting.
Other Thoughts: As noted on the conditions, this course needs some attention. The concrete core retaining walls are falling down around the unique tee islands, the foot bridges were pretty bouncy and rickety, the signage was ok but showing signs of wear/damage. The grass on 15 was 4' high and a disc in there is literally a disc in a haystack. Very tough to find- our group lost two there but found 6 others...
A Saturday mission of volunteers should gather and revamp the course. I'd like to know who to contact to try to get this done. It's a great course but with the conditions starting to degrade it could lose its status as one of the best. But I'll be back, many times...

Very nice course that could be amazing

1    8/6/2016   8/7/2016
Review By: Gliming5000
This review was updated on 8/8/2016
Pros: Beautiful surrounding area
Very nicely mowed
Difficult with some very long holes
Fairly easy to find flyaways
Many very nice holes
Cons: Very Narrow fairways through the woods
Many trees in the middle of the fairways
Small gaps you have to hit from 300 ft.
No real opportunity to shape shots
Takes a long time
Other Thoughts: This course is very good. There are some extremely difficult holes that are also extremely gorgeous. But maybe a third of the holes cause you to think the course may be laughing in your face. Through the woods the fairways are maybe 15 feet wide with trees in the middle. This makes for a few holes that are just plain not fun. For example, Hole E's teepad is behind a lake, which is fine, but the reeds are 6 feet high... good luck throwing any line that will end up on the right side of the pond. I'm not amazing and I've only been playing for just over a year, but I'm pretty alright and every one of my shots hit a tree.

Also plan for this course to take a long time. it took me and a friend over 3 hours to play this course, and it seemed like every one of my shots was from the rough due to the large number of trees in the middle of the fairway.

With that said it is worth the try if you've never experienced it. The park is very beautiful, the course is hard, and it's rated among the top in the country. I like the course alright, but since it's more than an hour and a half from where I live, if I come to the area again for disc golf I'll go to lincoln ridge.

My new favorite

1    7/12/2016   7/12/2016
Review By: AHagglund
Pros: It's not shocking that Idlewild is my new favorite course; by the looks of it, Idlewild is A LOT of peoples' favorite course. What is unusual, however, is that I knew it would be my new favorite course after only the first 5 or 6 holes.

The course is serene, clean, and most importantly, fair. It is certainly challenging, but not so much that the course becomes a grind. Every time I made a bad shot, my first instinct was to go back and try again, because there weren't any shots that were so silly difficult that I didn't feel I had a chance. (This is a huge plus for me. The shots that I felt would be good out of my hand usually were, and the same was true with the bad; I felt like I got what I deserved either way. On some exceptionally tough courses, it almost feels like luck is as big of a factor as skill; who gets the good bounce of the tree, who gets kicked OB, etc.) Other positives:

Despite the huge expanse of the park, navigation is not an issue.

Despite all the water hazards, prairie, and forests, it's hard to lose a disc (especially compared to courses of similar difficulty).

Despite how much other activity goes on in the park, it never interferes with the course.

Favorite holes: probably 3, 11, and 16. All of the ones that run along the stream, actually. All in all a great course that I wish I could play every day.
Cons: I honestly can't think of any. Alternate tee pads maybe?
Other Thoughts: I am re-scaling all of my ratings to account for Idlewild.

DG heaven

5+    6/12/2015   5/31/2016
Review By: Cerealman
Pros: * Variety -- every hole is different and offers its own challenges. Idlewild offers an excellent mixture between wooded and open, hilly and flat, short and long.
* Very few "filler" holes (maybe #F, if I'm being picky)
* A mental challenge -- accuracy is paramount, so consider each shot carefully. It you "throw and hope," you'll likely be sorry.
* Beauty -- the most aesthetically pleasing course I've encountered. I've seen deer and squirrels and birds and lush green fairways and vibrant wildflowers ... hence the review title.
* Peaceful -- I've played Idlewild at least half a dozen times and typically have the park almost to myself.
* Artistic tee signage -- just one of the many touches that makes Idlewild great.
* Challenging -- when you make a par (or birdie) at Idlewild, you earned it!
Cons: * Could use a couple more navigation signs indicating "next tee."
* Can get muddy at times.
Other Thoughts: Idlewild is an excellent benchmark for disc golf courses.

Not for the faint of arm

1    5/16/2016   5/18/2016
Review By: Taylor510ce
Pros: Thoughtful, fair, and makes you use your entire arsenal of shot selection, and your brain.
Cons: If the grass is high, it's hellacious. If you can't throw more than 300-320' on a drive, you might have a hard time making par.
Other Thoughts: Beautiful work with the club to do what they have done with it. This course has teeth if you can't hit the landing zones. But if you take it a chunk at a time, you can do this!

Top Course in the Country

5+    3/12/2016   5/18/2016
Review By: Jowsepi
Pros: This is a professional Disc golf course that will make you use every throw you know. If you play the strict OB this course really pushes you. The greens are very unique and help to set this course apart.
Cons: This course is not for beginners. If you are new to the sport, you may be better of going down the road 5 minutes to Boone Woods.
Other Thoughts: A group of 4 will take over 2 hours to play if you are doing all 24 holes. Take your time to enjoy this beautiful park.

A disc golf destination

2-4    3/14/2016   5/14/2016
Review By: DoctorC
Pros: What else can I say, I've been golfing for a long time and this is easily one of the best courses I've played. Truly a course you travel to play - a disc golf destination.
Cons: No casual rounds here :)
Other Thoughts: Just a fantastic course!

One of the best around!

5+    6/9/2015   5/9/2016
Review By: bangtailsaints
Pros: Will make you throw every shot in your arsenal. Beautiful island greens and running streams. One of the prettiest courses around. To truly experience Idlewild you have to play 24 longs. The water shots are awesome.Bring water and a snack!
Cons: Summertime brings the ticks. Make sure you check yourself after your round!
Other Thoughts: Don't think about it, it's worth the trip hop in the car and grab some friends and some disc!

Tough. Tough. Tough.

1    5/27/2015   10/27/2015
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: Idlewild is a 24 hole course set in a super nice, multi-use park.

Concrete tee pads, in decent enough shape. Some could use some work, but no big deal. Most holes have one tee, some have two.

Mixture of baskets, but they all worked well enough. Some updates on these wouldn't be the worst thing. One pin position per hole, for the most part.

Distance. Everywhere. If you like long, winding holes, this is the place for you. You'll get open bombers, uphill hucks, tight tunnels, and anything else you can think of. There's a few shorter holes, but for the most part, you can expect plenty of legit par 4's, with placement being key.

Good use of elevation. There's not any top o' the world shots, but just about every hole has some sort of rolling hill incorporated.

Some holes have water as an obstacle, which is nice. No gigantic water carries, but several places where, if you get knocked by a tree, you could be in trouble.

Really nice landscaping, and tee signs. It's not quite country club nice, but not too far off. Navigation was relatively easy and the course has good flow.
Cons: I'm not a big fan of turf greens. I understand why they're used here, but they felt out of place and weird. Probably just a preference thing.

Idlewild is certainly not the most "accessible" course around...meaning new players, or players without bigger arms are going to get frustrated easily here.

Idlewild is a great course, especially if you're a top level player. I get it. What I don't like, is that as an Int player, I felt like I could go out there with a mid and putter, and score just as well as I could with my whole bag. In fact, I might score better just dinking and dunking my way through the course. There's places where it feels hard just for the sake of being hard. Of course, this is totally a personal feel, and will be different for every person.

For a course of this caliber, there should be at least two tees on every hole, and more than a single pin position. There's certainly plenty of space to do it.

Other Thoughts: Idlewild is a fun, tough, long course. I just didn't leave it feeling like I HAD TO come back and play it again, even though I'm glad I got the opportunity. Personally, I'd rather head up the road and play Lincoln Ridge.

Definitely a course you want to go play if you're in the area and make your own conclusions.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 17