Burlington, KY
Idlewild Share

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16

1    7/6/2012   10/17/2012
Review By: ctc9931
Pros: Overall it was a good course, had fun playing it. Pretty easy to follow. Can't remember what hole it is think it was 5, throw down the hill take a 90 degree turn right and fo back up the hill. Was no clear path and could not figure out how the designer intended the hole to be played.
Cons: Had several poke and hope holes and several tweener holes.

Awesome Greens-

1    8/8/2012   8/8/2012
Review By: Nader77
Pros: Awesome course.....Love the holes with real "greens" There is every shot you can encounter here. If you are looking to strengthen your skills all around, this is the one!
Cons: Must be ready to exercise!
Other Thoughts: This course has the Longest Hole Ever...Over a thousand feet!!!

Top Notch Challenge

1    8/3/2012   8/3/2012
Review By: DUrich
Pros: Tight and technical, to include a long arm challenge. The rolling hills along with the trees make this a sweet venue. Super well maintained, with some excellent lines. A true test for anyone no matter what level of player. Great use of the creek, with the OB challenge.
Cons: Having a course map available for players on site would be helpful. I was quite confused about how par was defined until I got home and checked DGC review. Had some confusion about what was OB. A bit tougher for the first timer, I'm sure having a local guide, or being local would be advantageous.
Other Thoughts: I'd suggest a donation box, so that the local club and community can continue to improve this venue. I sense that the sport will be pay to play in the future - a small investment in a donation box could bring in some serious revenue.

Be Prepared!

1    7/23/2012   7/23/2012
Review By: knettles
Pros: There's just so many.

-Well maintained with good baskets and clean fairways. Also, a couple holes have turf greens. Turf greens!

-Lots of amenities; benches, a couple water fountains, porta potties.

-Best signage I've seen; course sign at the start and great hole signs at each tee. Some point to the next tee also.

-Amazing hole variety. There's straight holes, doglegs, long, short (not many), open, lightly wooded, heavily wooded, flat, hilly, and even water holes.

-And finally, last but definitely not least, HUGE teepads! The extra holes had regular sized teepads, but the rest had massive teepads that was more enjoyable than one would think.
Cons: Not many.

-There might be a couple people fishing along one of the water holes. I went on a weekday and didn't have any problems.

-A couple tees might be slightly hard to find if it's your first time. Just snap a picture of the course map at the start to take with you and you'll be fine.
Other Thoughts: Be prepared! This is a VERY long course which can get VERY hot on summer days. I strongly recommend eating well before going, and taking a packed lunch with two 32 oz drinks. It was in the 90's when I went and I got to hole #15 before quitting. I was tired, hungry, out of water, and lost a disc. On that note, it's also a good idea to have a floater.

Also, unlike some reviewers said, you don't need to be able to drive accurately 350' to enjoy playing here. If you can throw with some precision 225' to 250', you can still have a good time. Just don't have too high of expectations for your score.

So, be prepared and come to have fun, and it'll be one of the best courses you've played.

Disc Golf Dave

2-4    6/18/2012   7/18/2012
Review By: Disc Golf Dave
Pros: This is a beautiful course with well maintained fairways (with a couple of exceptions), good variety, length that will stand the test of time and new disc golf technology, and I thoroughly enjoyed my game there. There is a good emphasis on shot making and excellent variety in holes.

It is certainly challenging and long enough. This course seems to define the direction course design is taking. I love it.
Cons: A few of the holes are a bit tight. A few of the holes are bit thick with underbrush and tall grass. I got turned around once but found my way OK. The main reason it didn't get a 5 in my book is because a few of the holes don't provide enough shot options.
Other Thoughts: The Cincinnati area is a real disc golf mecca. It is on my short list of places to visit for great disc golf.

Bar has been set!

1    4/21/2012   7/6/2012
Review By: bpartrid
Pros: *Beautiful course
*Course has everything (woods, water, field, elevation)
*Tons of signature holes
*Amazing tee signs!!
*Had never seen anything like it before
Cons: *Could use some "to next tee" direction signs
*Very tough course that can eat you up in a heart beat
Other Thoughts: If you want to experience the best with all the little cherries on top, you have to go to idlewild!!!

absolutely lives up to the hype

5+    7/1/2012   7/1/2012
Review By: DiscDogNation
This review was updated on 11/25/2012
Pros: course opens up with some nice open holes to let you stretch out and then winds you through some absolutely wonderfully orchestrated landscape and excellently laid out holes. Once you get to like #4 there a glades throughout most of the fairways and choosing a path can be difficult at best. Bring tons of water as elevation changes are on every hole and it can be extremely hot in the summer. It was funny to note how all the trash cans were full till you get to like 13 or 14 and they empty out because people just run out of liquid. If you are even CLOSE to the area you MUST make this a stop, be prepared to spend at least 2 hours walking this bad boy.
Cons: after hole 2 there are some lettered holes which I didnt find ... didnt really matter cause this course kicked my butt anyway. Also I went after a bad storm and there was debris everywhere but there not much they can do about that .... just my luck of the draw.
Other Thoughts: If you have half a day you HAVE to check this course out ... WELL worth the play

Like the new holes

5+    4/6/2012   6/19/2012
Review By: telusive
This review was updated on 7/21/2012
Pros: I really like this course, but it is not always very well maintained. They're adding new holes for example, but when I was there the new holes had not been bushwhacked I suppose. and BUSHwhacked not mowed. This course is just a bit too wild for me in some places. The 1001 foot hole is amazing, for example, but sometimes the grass on the outside is as tall as you are. I know you aren't suppose to end up over there, but we all know it happens.
That being said, this course is not worth all the hype to me, there are better courses in the area (simply because someone cares for them more) but if you are in the area this is a beast you should look into.
There was a tournament there recently, so it is probably in decent shape around June 2012, but probably only temporarily.
The new holes include a lot more water, which I think was really missing from this course previously.
Cons: Hardly ever well maintained in some places, but immaculate in others. The new additional holes and some other holes have rough that is definately that.
Other Thoughts: Very nice area that this park is in, there's a dog park nearby also.

My god man!

1    6/9/2012   6/9/2012
Review By: numbernine
Pros: Idlewild. The name alone rings through the disc golf community like bad mexican food through a tourist. *NOTICE* This review contains sarcasm, comedy and other things to make it interesting for the viewer. I take my reviews seriously. But I don't like to write them as such. So...settle down Francis. Here we go!

1. the tee pads on this course are ridiculous. I've driven on smaller exit ramps. Most of the tee pads are "double length" (that's what she said) and nice and wide. (TWSS). The best part is that a few of the holes have a couple of these monstrosities to use from different lengths. We played the longs all day (TWSS), so I can only speak for those. And I will. A lot. See? I just keep talking about how awesome the tee pads are. Now...on to more.
2. the baskets are fantastic and labeled clearly. All of the baskets caught like Johnny Bench in his prime and were as forgiving as my dear old grandmother. RIP Grandma. well, she's not dead. But you know. Just in case. Several of the holes have a couple of baskets set up. If they don't have multiple baskets, 90% of the holes have at least two pin placements. Many of them have at least alternate holes. Make your own joke.
3. The use of terrain on this course is second to none. Tree tunnels, up hills, down hills, the disc eating heather (not a woman. just grass), and all kinds of water usage makes this course challenging, fun, and incredibly exhausting...in a good way. If that's possible.
4. you WILL NOT find a more diverse disc golf course as far as shot selection goes. This course is the United Nations counsel on environmental impact as far as courses go. 1001 foot downhill shots. 700 foot uphill hyzer shots. 200 foot tunnel shots. water. trees. annies. open bombs. This course has more shots than picasso got paint. (shout out to MCA)
5. There are benches and trash cans at every single tee station. And because of this, there is virtually no trash on the course. Which, especially for a park this size is unreal. Heck, we have played courses an 1/8th this size that were like playing through a landfill. Ever get a skip off of a hypodermic needle? DO IT!
6. Signs are amazing on this course. This place has perfect signs in fact. Every hole location is perfectly laid out on the sign. OB marked. Hazards marked. Drop zones marked. Serious perfection when it comes to the signs. I saw the signs, and the opened up my eyes. I saw the signs.
7. navigation was perfect. PERFECT. The tee signs tell you where to go, and there are signs on trees that tell you where to go. Too, the natural layout of the course is perfect. This course plays over a HUGE park, and we were never at risk of being lost or getting turned around.
Cons: One con, and I think it actually is a con. There are a TON of civilians that come in to play on this course. a TON. Hole 2's long position plays near a pond where there had to be 2 dozen people fishing. it also plays over a walking path. There were LOADS of people walking on there. There are other holes that play over walking paths blindly, you really could mess around and smack a kid in the noodle out there on quite a few occasions. It's a busy, busy, beautiful park.

also, the place could have used a water fountain. it took us two and a half hours to play his beast. Something would have been nice. Not really a con. But yeah, anything.
Other Thoughts: it is my opinionation that all sub 900 players should skip out on this course for now. Honestly. this course is NOT for people with non-power arms. Indeed, you are essentially committing VERY slow suicide if you come out to this course and can't throw it accurately out to like 350 feet. I AM NOT TRYING TO BE A JERKFACE! I AM TRYING TO SAVE YOUR PITIFUL SOULS! PLEASE! GET GOOD AND THEN COME OUT TO THIS MONSTER!

It really is like the Event Horizon of disc golf courses. I heard that this place disappeared in to another dimension and came back from hell. It could be a lie...but I buy it.

It gets better and better!

5+    5/30/2012   5/31/2012
Review By: sisyphus
This review was updated on 10/18/2013
Pros: It's finally time for me to write a review on Idlewild (I've been requiring at least five rounds on a course before writing, because I'm still a rookie at disc golf). Everything seems to have been said about this, one of the finest courses in the world. But did you know that despite being rated as near-perfection, they keep IMPROVING it?

Perhaps the best variety of holes (distances, elevations, water, tight shots, bomb shots...), challenging layout, fantastic tees, baskets, benches, trash receptacles, manicured fairways and 'Augusta'-like landscaping, from retaining walls to bridges...has been enhanced just this year with new full-color tee signs and course map, astroturf (!) on the creekside island greens, and the formal incorporation of holes A-F bringing Idlewild up to an incredibly challenging 24.

Unlike some other courses, the new holes complement the course well, and flow nicely, adding more water hazards and variety (yep, I've put one in the pond on hole D: the mando forces you to go 'over'). Holes A-E follow the long basket on #2 (just go up the hill to reach A), and lead nicely back after E to the long tee for #3. Then after #4, F doubles back very well to #5. The design clearly is intended to enhance the long tee experience, making Idlewild range from a brutal 7200' 18 hole course to a monster 10,500' 24 hole course. Even playing doubles, the Idlewild long course has taken me three hours to complete, but what fun!

We are so blessed in the Greater Cincinnati area with this course. I have to keep reminding myself: most folks don't have it this good. The chance for a beginner to get out here and happily get beaten up by this course is one I won't take for granted. As a first year player, but one who is hooked enough to have already logged 166 rounds of disc golf, I do have a love/hate relationship with Idlewild: it's beautiful, but I don't score well here; it's clearly the top course in the area, but if given the choice (at my skill level), I'd probably divert to Lincoln Ridge. BUT that's not a knock on Idlewild at all, because it's not really a course intended for me. Idlewild is obviously a course designed to challenge the best to bring their A-game every time. It's enough of a challenge to break 100 here on the 24 holes, but there are multiple tees and pin positions, as well as OB options from relaxed to ultra-strict, to custom tailor the Idlewild challenge to the best pro's in the world. Some holes (particularly #13 & #14) double in length (and nearly triple in difficulty) playing the 'longs'.

For me, the signature hole isn't the 1001 foot #15, which punishes your drive if you miss the fairway (the rough can be a disc-eater), and finishes at the base of a hill on an island green across the creek. It's not my nemesis hole, the 588' uphill, tightly wooded #6. It's not even the right-bending meadow-like 609' #10, where I first 'communed with nature' on a disc golf course (late last fall, on a sunny cool day, when I quietly stood in the fairway as deer grazed by about 40' away). For me, the beauty here is the downhill #11 mando through the Y-shaped tree, landing in a moderately wooded glade, still 100 feet from a tiny (the size of a small garage) island green across the creek, with strict OB all around. My best moment in disc golf was hitting this once for par! I would think getting this pretty hole for a birdie would be more of a thrill than hitting a simple, short ace (but then, I've done neither, yet!)

Truly, Idlewild is a wonderful experience, and one of the best courses the sport has to offer. You know, now that I think about it, even the cleverness of the course design is impressive. After your journey through every type of challenge imaginable, you finish on the 651' #18 by working your way up through a long shaded tunnel of trees to emerge at the bright open field finish. If I was a psychologist (actually, I am...) I'd almost interpret the design as intentionally representing rebirth at the finish (...nah, I'm not a Freudian, so it's just a great way to complete the experience, wipe your brow, and say to yourself, "I'll be back!")
Cons: You'd have to be fairly nit-picky to find fault here. I can't believe it's free to play this course.

Realistically, Idlewild may be a bit daunting for new players, but just walking it is worth the visit, so is this a negative?

Even the fairways that occasionally retain water (I can only remember it being a problem on 10 & 18) were noted this spring by Fred on GCFDA's forums (see) as places he was planning to add French drains... so if a con is worth mentioning, it's usually something the course designers and maintainers are already working on addressing. So... wow!
[edit: just played there last night, and I'm fairly sure the freshly dug up dirt on #10 means this work is happening]
Other Thoughts: If you're not in decent shape, the length of this course can get to you. Bring plenty of fluids if it's warm (or, in our region, humid), and take your time. Enjoy. The locals will understand slow play: you're experiencing Idlewild!

Aside from the hiking trail, a practice basket and a soccer field you can use to warm up your arm, I hadn't realized it until writing this review that there was more to this park! Shelters, stocked fishing, baseball and soccer fields, a dog park (!), and miles of mountain bike trails are highlighted in the county website (I added a link, edit: but it was taken down? oh well). Their map is the one already linked here at DGCR, but the full-color map situated at hole #1 is very nice if you want to snap a photo for your handheld device, as well.
If you haven't been here in a while, come back to Northern Kentucky to play the full course. It just keeps getting better.

(edited 10/18/13 for readability and to mention: it's still true - they keep enhancing this course - bright yellow powder coat paint went on all the baskets this year. They now stand out GREAT on cloudy days! And some of the letter hole tees have been extended/ enhanced. It always seems like there's an upgrade happening. And on a personal note, working up to intermediate skills, I still prefer the short tees here for my ego, but still think the long 24 here is the toughest challenge of the 123 courses I've played.)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16