Burlington, KY
Idlewild Share
Uploaded By: Dawgii Hole #B (Taken 10/2012)
Hole #B Tee: Basket is straight past the tall grass

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16
 Idlewild . . . more like RED LINE WILD

1    2/19/2012   3/5/2012
Pros: 1) Distance variation on these holes is tremendous . . . 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600 and even 1000' holes. There is so much variety here that you will most certainly throw every single kind of shot available as well as using your entire bag.

2) The variety of the holes out here is tremendous. There are tight wooded holes, water holes with OB greens, 1000' holes through the prairie, rolling hills in a park-like setting, etc etc etc. There are so many kinds of holes you will never get bored and you can never relax.

3) There is a kiosk at the first hole with a nice map of the entire course. There is also a place for tourney and league information.

4) The tee-signs are nice with Hole #, distance, par, multiple basket locations, and a map. These are Houck signs and are the standard in my opinion for the future of the sport. They are attractive and they have all of the information you could possibly want to see.

5) Garbage cans and benches in many places around the course.

6) There were a mix of Mach baskets and Innova DIscatchers. I am not sure why some holes had two baskets because that can be confusing, but I played all of the long baskets just because I wanted to truly punish myself on this course.

7) Very nice large concrete tees are always my favorites.

8) The creek on the property is absolutely a key feature to this course and it makes 5 or 6 holes absolutely awesome and memorable. The creek acts as OB and it also helps to create island (or peninsula) greens. These are really risk/reward depending on where you are throwing your approach shot. I played the whole round aggressively and never ended up OB which probably would have made my score much worse if I was off on my upshots.

9) The infrastructure here is amazing. The bridges were well done and in good shape. The Astroturf greens were awesome (something I have only seen done once before (Plymouth Creek in MN). The concrete retaining walls were both attractive and functional.

10) For the most part the other activities and places in the park where you would encounter other people are kept to a minimum. There were only a couple spots where you might be crossing a walkway but there was plenty of room to know when it is clear or not clear to throw. Since this is one of the most popular courses on DGCR, I would think there are always people there and discs being tossed, so I would think the locals who use the park for other things (they must be crazy) would know where to be aware of disc golfers.

11) Awesome variety of hole type and foliage density ranging from tight wooded fairways to moderately wooded park-like holes, to some open rippers too. It's nice to not have to throw the same shot or feel like any hole could have been placed anywhere on the property. It is nice when each hole feels natural like it was meant to be there rather than just being there because that is where the routing of the course puts it.

12) You have got to be able to shape your shots both directions. You will want to throw anhyzers and hyzers and an occasional flick shot too. You might need to throw a roller or two to get out of trouble or to try and eat up some of the distance on the longer open holes. Scooby shots can be helpful to get a skip when throwing a recovery shot. Throw in a couple tomahawks or thumbers and you will have thrown everything. A true test of your overall disc golfing ability.

13) Portopotty located in the large parking lot by the first tee. Someone said there was a practice basket but I didn't bother to look I was too excited to get out there and play.

14) I heard they were putting in more Astroturf . . . right after I played there and I think it was on Hole #3. What a lot of work to prep an area for that and to make sure it holds up to the abuse. I can really appreciate the amount of work that gets put in to this course by volunteers. THANK YOU ALL, LOVE THE ENTIRE DISC GOLF COMMUNITY!

15) I shot a 98 on this course and played all the long tees and long baskets. Why is this a positive . . . because I kept it under triple digits!

16) This course is truly a collection of signature holes . . . normally a course has 1 or 2 signature courses that make the course memorable. Here I would argue that there are no less than 10 signature holes out here and the beauty . . . the reasons are not always the same. It isn't like they did just one thing right, they did many things right.

Cons: 1) The tees were inconsistent in size and texture which I did not like. It's nice to get used to a type of tee and expect the same thing throughout an entire course.

2) French drains or drain tile could go a long way here to help take the water out of some of these low areas that seem to hold water.

3) The course is really muddy and messy in the woods. There is turf growing on many of the fairways that go through the moderately wooded sections.

4) A couple of the gaps and fairways didn't quite seem fair. I knew this course had a lot of shots like this coming in, but a couple of those tightly wooded holes with all those small little trees lining the fairways edge seemed a little aggressive.

5) I do not recommend beginners come here unless they want to go home crying . . . that is all.

6) I had to walk up a couple fairways to try and get a feel for where my true landing zone was . . . if I couldn't tell I'd just rip my driver and try and bite off as much as I could chew. That's probably why I had two 6's and a 7, but I had fun attempting the perfect shot.

7) The rough area on the prairie holes including the 1000' hole were fine when I played because it was fall, but apparently in season you might get lost in them, or at least lose your discs.
Other Thoughts: This was the highlight of my winter trip to Florida which included a stop in Charlotte to play a bunch of the 2012 Worlds courses and a whole lot of great courses in between Milwaukee and Key West in both directions on different routes. I played 50+ courses on this trip and this takes the cake. I played a lot of awesome courses on the trip but this one is just head and shoulders above the rest. It has everything, variety, water, unique holes, creative baskets and green locations, challenge, distance, tight woods, elevation and anything else you could want in a disc golf course. It falls in just behind my favorite course ever (Brackett's Bluff) but it only narrowly misses perfection . . . due mainly to the conditions of some areas on the course. These things could be fixed if there was money available but it isn't like disc golf courses are always perfect and pristine. I would also imagine this course gets significantly harder in season when all the tree and shrubs have foliage on them. I played in the winter so the leaves were bare and I was able to see details you wouldn't normally be able to see in season and I am sure that helped me decide on my shots. I know there is a lot of argument over the rating of this course but remember I rate courses based on how likely I would be to return. I am not necessarily saying that this course is perfect by giving it a 5 (actually I had to differentiate it from the others at the top of my list) so I am saying it was 4.95. If I lived next to it, I would play it daily and would rarely need to go to a different course because this has everything all into one. I played about 6 holes with a couple locals and they said they only play 2 or 3 places . . . Idlewild, Mt. Airy, and Lincoln Ridge . . .what more could you ask for than to have those 3 courses within about 20 miles of each other.

Absolutely Beautiful

1    2/17/2012   2/20/2012
Review By: Jashwa
Pros: This course 100% lived up to all of the hype it has received. It was my first round at a difficult course in quite some time, so I was a bit rusty... as I expected, Idlewild whooped my butt. While most of the time I find being bad at something quite un-enjoyable, somehow this course allowed me to have an incredible time regardless of how I played. Heres why:

*The scenery here was absolutely breathtaking. I could have brought my grandparents here and they would have "oooohed" and "ahhhhed" at the beautiful trails and trees without touching a single disc (I can only imagine how it must look in the Fall!). The first hole of the course bombards the golfer with a HUGE decline that just begs for a driver to be ripped down the giant fairway lined on either side by trees. In addition, the course had a lot of awesome man-made greens surrounded by streams on all sides, a feature that I haven't really seen much of. Many of the holes wind through the woods, making the course a very scenic hike.

*As I mentioned, this course proved to be quite a challenge. That being said, every hole here was fair and exciting! They weren't the kinds of holes where you said "aw crap there is a very good chance I'm going to take a 6 here..." no... they all presented challenges that tempted the golfer to take out their drivers and go for the birdie! It was nice to not constantly be worried about losing discs on these challenging holes (except for those that brought lakes into play)

*Elevation here was definitely noteworthy... being from Illinois, every hole at Idlewild showed more elevation changes than any of the ones i normally play at home.

*Signage was perfect.

*The park overall was great. People were hiking, fishing, walking their dogs, etc. Lots of other things to do besides disc golf

Other Thoughts: These don't really affect the course's rating in my eyes, but they're noteworthy...

*We ended up not being ready to leave the park until about 7pm, and by that time the gates had already been locked up. We called the number on the signs, but still had to wait about 20 minutes before someone came and let us out... keep this in mind when planning your trip!

*Watch out for the water beyond the street of hole 17... crept up on a few of my buddies that thought it didn't go as far back as it really did.

Great Course

5+    12/23/2011   1/1/2012
Review By: dooldawg
Pros: This course will test every shot in your bag. Well marked with short and long tee pads. Multiple pin placements for almost all holes.
Cons: The new letter holes could use the bigger tee pads like the rest of the course has on each hole.
Other Thoughts: All in all this is an amazing course. It is one of the best/toughest courses to play.

Idlewild

2-4    11/25/2011   11/30/2011
Review By: richardmmill
Pros: Where to start!
Course is in great condition well kept. Nice big concrete tees in good condition. Baskets are good. There was one basket that was a little janky looking in the short position on #13. Tee signs are very good and descriptive. Course flows well there are no real navigation problems.

Great use of the land. Lots of great elevation changes. Uses lot of water, a small lake and a creek that runs through a lot of the park is used on many holes. Along the creek they build up walls with concrete stones, clearly marking the OB areas. With that they course uses OB often to cause accuracy to be a must. A lot of island greens.

Many great holes that you will remember. Like the 1001ft #15 with an island green. #11 shots through a V split in a tree with a long swooping fairway to the left to finish with an island green. Then finishing a 651ft #18 with a super tight hallway most of the fairway. Great use of the land!

Extreme requirement for multiple shots. I am right handed used many backhand and forehands and even a few overhands. A few holes that require a rhbh turnover to execute the hole well like hole #4 uphill to the right.

A practice basket right at the beginning to warm up as well as a soccer field that can be used to warm up a bit is always nice.

The course has multiple baskets and multiple tees on a few hole which is nice for tournaments and having different divisions.
Cons: The course has been far more worn down than what the pictures now show. Just a lot of traffic stomping down and killing a lot of grass.

With the use of creeks in low laying areas this can cause it to hold some water. The course has been a bit muddy every time I have played.
Other Thoughts: This course is not where you want to take your friend for their first disc golf outing.

Get out and play this course.

Simply the Best

1    10/7/2011   10/12/2011
Review By: odysseus81
Pros: What an incredible expereince! Idlewild is an extraordinary course.
Tee's- Pad were all in great shape and VERY spacious which made life so much easier. The tee locations were very well thought out. There is no redundancy on the course and each tee shot requires a bit of thought. In many places, you are offered multiple ways to attack the pin (I use the term attack very loosely).
Signs- Signage was good. We only played the original 18, so I can't comment on the other 6. Maps and distances we very accurate and necessary.
Topography-Really what sets this course apart from all the others I have played. The course is runs from park-like to tightly wooded with one epic open hole. The balance is tremendous and the massive creeks that run through the course add the wow factor necessary for elite courses. The terrain is a nice balance of rolling hills/ big hills/ little bit of flat. No hole feels redundant.
Beauty- Gorgeous--I will not call it the most scenic course I have ever played, but it is in the top 5 for sure. This is DG the way God intended it. The park was extremely well maintained and the massive mature trees, use of long grass and, and creeks were perfect.
Difficulty- Insane. If you play this utilizing the OB the way it is intended, get ready for the challenge of your life. There are so many filthy tee shots where there is a 50-50 chance of OB. It is a real gut check. I loved all the island greens. They are definitely the signature of the course and something I will always remember. With the lack of redundancy comes the need for every disc in your bag. Truly, no tee shot is the same and no approach is the same. They make you throw every shot you have. While I say that it is insanely diffcult, I still think that a beginner could have lots of fun here...just know that you aren't going to score low.
Baskets- All in very good shape and relatively easy to locate (see cons).
Fun Factor- Through the roof. You will never play a course like this again.
Cons: These are minor, but worth noting:
1. It would be nice if there was a way to identify which pin location the baskets were at on the tee sign. We had to walk ahead quite a few times (and one time for like 5 mins). While most of the baskets were in A position, a few weren't.
2. 2 baskets were up for one hole hole (15?) which was really odd.
The end.
Other Thoughts: I am still trying to digest our trip to Cincy, but I can say with confidence that this is the best course I played there, and worthy of it's #3 ranking on this site. It is a masterpiece that I hope I am able to play again. Thanks to Cincy and the DG club there for all they do and for making that course what it is.

Better pack a Lunch!!

5+    9/3/2011   9/13/2011
Review By: Stizall
Pros: Very Challenging course but plays well through all holes and is very easy to navigate as long as you follow the signs
Cons: Very easy to lose a disc. Bring comfortable Shoes, Lots of water on a hot day. As these may seem as a con they are really pros to me!
Other Thoughts: If you are looking the ultimate disc golf challenge, You found it!

Disc Golf Gold in the Bluegrass State

1    9/3/2011   9/10/2011
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 1/22/2012
Pros: Northern Kentucky's gift to disc golfers, Idlewild's rolling hills, wonderfully wooded fairways, winding creeks, and ponds combine to provide the kind of beautiful setting and supreme challenge serious players live for. But don't let the nice scenery fool you: this place is anything but friendly, and will challenge EVERY aspect of your game.
• Truly outstanding and well balanced shot variety, particularly in terms of distance (just look at the score card distances). Excellent use of natural elements to present straight, left, and right turning fairways, uphill and downhill shots, rollaway putts, etc. Moderately and tightly wooded fairways on 400+ ft holes are anything but relatively easy pars. Supplemental holes play a bit more open than most of the original 18, to help provide what I think is a nice balance of fairway types. Several holes present numerous lines you can execute off the tee pad, but every hole features at least some well-placed stands of trees you'll need to avoid or work around to get to the pin. Others significantly restrict what routes you can take, pretty much forcing you to choose from a few reasonably executable lines. Most require you to find a landing area for true approach shots.
• Splendid use of island greens adds a certain charm and unique feel , and shows the thought that went into each hole. Moreover, they provide OB for additional challenge for tournaments and players looking for the ultimate challenge. Even if you choose to ignore the OB and throw to the shorter pin placements to play "Idlemild," it's still not an easy round.
• Great holes galore! Starts with a winner, ends with a killer. Hole 2, with it's approach shot over the water, might be my favorite. Nothing felt run of the mill or filler - every hole had at least some appeal.
• Distance is a plus only if it's well controlled. There are a few holes where those who can't hit 300' can score well. Big drives that get away from you will hurt.
• Course comes near other park activities at a few points, but is pretty well insulated from them for the most part. After a while, I just got lost in the round and forgot the rest of the world.
• Well equipped with nice tees, baskets, and signs, as well as benches and trash cans at most (if not all) holes.
•Surprisingly easy to find and get to. Pretty close to tons of food choices and other civilization.
Cons: Not really much to hate on, but here are some things that did come to mind:
• OB seemed a bit contrived and forced at times, rather than natural.
• Pretty much all top-notch courses come with significant risk of disc loss, and Idlewild is no exception. Get sloppy on some of these holes and kiss your disc goodbye. Bring friends to help look discs down and spot for each other. Besides, this sort of experience is better shared with others.
• Port-a-Potty by 1st tee is certainly better than nothing, but I prefer a real bathroom with running water.
• Scorecard/maps would really be nice - I'd love a souvenir to take home with me. I know they cost, but put up a donation box for those of us willing to pay a buck or two for this incredible experience.
Other Thoughts: Idlewild should be mandatory on the "To Do' lists of those who seek the most challenging of courses. Everything about this place speaks to its championship pedigree, from the spacious concrete pads and well groomed fairways, to the full color tee signs and landscaped design of the putting greens. Sure, it all looks nice, but be prepared for a beatdown. Throw the notion of "everything's a Par 3" out the window. You'll take a 5 and like it, and be thrilled with a 4. I refuse to list "too difficult" as a con. This course was meant to be championship caliber from the word go. Citing difficulty as a con would be ludicrous. Difficult? Yes. But impossibly so? Not even remotely. Everything here is reasonable for those with the appropriate skill level. I would absolutely love to see top pros playing here, I'm certain it would be inspiring and humbling all at the same time.

A round at here can leave you exhausted, especially if it's a hot or humid day - bring hydration and food. My pilgrimage was made even more epic by the fact that the temp hit 100° the afternoon I played, so I truly feel justified in saying "I survived Idlewild." You just have to appreciate the undulating fairway on 15 and the 4'-5' tall prairie grass and Queen Anne's Lace lining it nearly the entire distance. Almost cruel to throw a 1000' hole at you after you've already played 20 holes and trekked about 2 miles up and down hill. Can you say stamina?

Can't really comment on navigation because I had a guide, but it did flow well from hole to hole, and I don't remember anything seeming that tricky.

To Fred, Bob, Nick, and anyone else involved in making and keeping this place such a worthy destination: THANK YOU!!!

Comparison to Flip: both courses are scenic, have 24 tees, baskets, great land, and are obviously labors of love. That's where the comparison ends. They are COMPLETELY different in their very nature and it really all depends what you're looking for. Idlewild is the tougher, more challenging course - hands down. Flip is accommodating to a wider range of players, with a cool vibe and fun-factor that's all its own, and simply can't be duplicated (at least it hasn't been to this point). As different from each other as steak and lobster, the existence of each makes experiencing the other even better. I prefer to appreciate each for what it does so well, and feel fortunate to have played them both.

The Beast Within

1    6/12/2011   6/14/2011
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: The one thing you will walk away with from this course is the realization that someone really took the time to make this course their baby. This is a very good course that makes use of some amazing land. This course is an incredible challenge that really rewards good shots and lucky shots. There are absolutely no filler holes on this course. Every hole will make you think and make you want to come back and try it again. The course plays through a park with other amenities, mostly ball fields. There is a trash bucket at every hole. There are port-o-potties at various places. Nice concrete tee pads, nice tee signs. The course is well maintained and genuinely has the feel of a real golf course. That is not something that happens often with disc golf courses. I really thought the way they mowed the brush did well to penalize shots that do not land in the fairway. There was a surprisingly low number of bugs on this course considering the conditions. The benches at every hole were a very nice touch.
Cons: This course is a beast for anyone of any skill level the first time you play it. The new six holes are a bit of a challenge to find unless you really know what to look for. Some of the other holes are confusing as well, in particular hole 14 with its two very different tee pads. There are no real tee signs for these six holes as of yet. Hole E plays through a high foot traffic area of fishers. This course will discourage beginers. The trees just off the fairway in many places are so thick they they over penalize a bad or unlucky shot. Some of the places where water does exist in pools are places to avoid as it was near impossible to find two discs my group threw in there.
Other Thoughts: This course is not perfect. It is really really good, even phenominal, but not perfect. This course is epic and I particularly liked Hole 1, 3, The Y hole and hole 16. The directions on thsi site are very good and will get you to where you need to be. You will definately want to bring water when you come and you will definately want to play this course at some point.

Welcome to the Thunder Dome, $#!%@

5+    10/31/2011   4/24/2011
Review By: weeman
This review was updated on 4/8/2012
Pros: Idlewild separates the men from the boys, the strong from the weak and shows how truly challenging disc golf can be. Nestled in a large multi-use park, this course sits among some of the best disc golfing terrain I've seen for a course. Rolling hills, tight woods, open prairie, winding creeks, and epic wilderness are all here for your enjoyment. The natural features here are a big part of why this course is so special. No hole is on level ground; whether it be an elevated tee/basket or sloping fairway, you're never safe from a wicked roll away. The pond and winding creek come into play multiple times. Actually on one hole you walk back and forth across the same creek six times on a straight line from the tee to the long basket placement.
Fred and Bob used the available land to its fullest with each hole nicely spaced out so that minimal interference will be occurred by any of the other holes. Normally I'd be harsh on non-necessary long walks but Idlewild is the exception. Here you can enjoy the walks while thinking about several things; the beating you just took on the last hole, how you did it, your game plan for the next hole, how you're going to execute it, and how lucky you are to be playing here. Each tee pad has a bench to accompany it, which are very handy to think about said items.
Each hole has its own character with no two holes playing alike and in several instances; consecutive holes require completely different types of shots all the way to the basket. Here you'll need a complete arsenal of shots and you'll need to be at the top of your game to score well.
Fairways range from an epic 1001 footer in the open complete with island green to a punishing ~250 footer through an 10 foot wide tunnel that ends with the basket being guarded on all sides by cedars. The greens range from the usual basket in an open field to being located on an eight foot wide peninsula (or island) with out-of-bounds on all sides. The man-made OBs add another element of danger. Most holes are through heavy woods with somewhat defined landing areas. Only after playing here multiple times can you really figure out the best and worst places to land. Idlewild is the best example of placement golf I've seen and can be brutally punishing to errant shots or shots deemed unlucky.
Here 2s are long coveted but rarely gotten. Don't be surprised to go over a round or two without getting one. In most instances 3s are very good to get. Depending on how you attack a certain hole will determine if you can earn a 3 or worse. Carding a 4 on many holes here isn't a bad thing and can actually gain you some strokes on the field. Anyone that gets a 4 after going into the rough should be acknowledged as well. Scoring a five or higher on any of the holes doesn't mean the end of the world here, just that there's something to be learned from it.
The amenities here are second-to-none. Located near number one is a port-a-john, an information board, a practice basket and a couple soccer fields that are great for warming up in. As mentioned, each hole has a bench as well as a trash bucket. Throughout the course are many staircases to protect against erosion damage and players from slipping on the terrain. Many walking bridges dot the course between holes and between the fairways and greens. To combat the mud problem on several of the island greens and penisulas, astro turf has been installed. I thought this was an especially nice touch. The tee signs are Houck Designed and show each pin placement, the pars, mandos, OBs, and even mentions a couple Hall Of Famers on each hole. Each mando is clearly marked on the trees with drop zones built into the course already. The tees are adequately sized and grippy even under wet conditions.
Cons: Honestly, the only gripes I have about the course are only personal preferences. In several spots in the woods it can get muddy and soggy but overall the drainage is excellent. It would be nice if on the tee signs it would indicate which sleeve placement the basket is in. My only other complaint is that this course isn't closer to where I live (about three hours away).
Other Thoughts: I've played this course probably 10 times but held off on writing a review until I had played it again. This is all coming with the course fresh on my mind from the KY State Championships yesterday. Idlewild is among the cream of the crop in terms of courses for me. Its a masterpiece of design that challenges even the most experienced and skilled players. I couldn't even begin to pin point a signature hole here. Almost any of these holes could be a signature hole on most other courses. The fun factor here is vastly different than most courses in that most of the time you're not throwing for a chance to immediately putt but to set up the next shot. Based on that, this wouldn't be a good place to bring a beginner or impatient player. Idlewild is a championship caliber course that can be appreciated for its difficulty and aesthetics by serious players.

Beauty of the Beast

1    6/9/2010   4/21/2011
Review By: Richardhead
Pros: I'm new to this course review thing. I'm bored at work and have decided to start reviewing some of my favorites. We stopped here on the way to Am Nationals last year. We got caught in a torrential down pour after 14 and didn't finish. Here are some thoughts:
-Beautiful park, very big, and well maintained.
-Options galore. You can play this course aggresively or lay up and take what it gives you. There are plenty of chances to score well, but if you miss your line trouble awaits.
-Designers and course keepers have an obvious love for there course. The amount of work that has gone into this place is second to none. Kudos to those involved with keeping this place nice!
-You need every shot in your bag, not just to shoot well, but to navigate the course. You're required to throw an arsenal of different shots out here.
Cons: Recreational players beware. This course is not for the faint of heart. With that said, it may beat you to death for a while, but I can see well groomed players being molded by this course on a regular basis. It may not be fun for newer players to start with, but eventually you will learn the lines and this will be mecca.

Grass was a little high, but I imagine we probably got there the day before it was going to be cut. Park is to beautiful to no be maintained on a regular basis
Other Thoughts: Heading for Am Nationals again in early June. We will definitely be stopping by for anothe crack ar Idlewild. Can't wait!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16