Burlington, KY
Idlewild Share
Uploaded By: Dawgii Hole #1 (Taken 10/2012)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16
 hope you have a cannon

1    3/6/2011   4/10/2011
Review By: LethargicMind
Pros: -This course challenges your ability for the long drive, aiming, consistency, and technical shots
-The holes are spaced nicely so that there are few holes that get backed up
-There are a good variety of hole types (wooded, open, flat, hills, etc.)
-Clean course
-Well maintained
Cons: -If you cant throw very far you might get discouraged. There are a lot of holes that are 400+ feet.
-I was there in the early spring, and that probably had something to do with the conditions, but it was extremely muddy when I played.
-Find the next hole was sometimes challenging. Try to play with someone who has played before.
Other Thoughts: -The course designer did a good job with what they had available.
-The course was really easy to find.
-I talked to a local, and he said they change the holes up pretty frequently. I really like this about courses

Get ready for a challenge

5+    3/26/2011   3/26/2011
Review By: culinarywiz
Pros: If you are looking for a challenge, you have found one. You had better pack a lunch for this effort. This course is prepared to exploit your weaknesses. If you can't throw 350ft., it will cost you. If you cant carve technical lines, you will pay. If you are not willing to play smart and reserved at times, you will spend time in the funk. You will have to plan your shots here.

Fantastic length. I typically always play long tee's, no matter where I am. Not here. The short tee's are quite enough. From the shorts you have holes in the following distances;
1 = 1000+ ft
3 = 600+ ft
2 = 500+ ft
2 = 400+ ft
2 = 300+ ft
6 = 200+ ft
2 = 100+ ft
How is that for balance? Oh, and those six 200+ ft holes - they are loaded with elevation changes and technical lines that give each one of them character.

Even though this course is long, there are still some nice ace runs. I ran at holes 9, 13 and 14. An ace here is very possible.

This course has multiple signature holes. My personal favorites are - Hole 1. You gotta love going strait from your car to a 650 ft bomb, over a gorgeous field, that gradually narrows as it gets to the pin. Hole 10. This is a true dog leg. It is approx 250 feet to the right turn, then about 350 feet to the guarded pin. Hole 11. This is the "KY" hole. You shoot through a mando that is a tree in the shape of a "Y". It's a down hill shot that turns left after the mando. And lastly, hole 15. This is the 1001 footer. The fairway is wide and you can just lay into this one.

This place is beautifully manicured. There is a winding creek that comes in to play on several holes. On all of these holes there are well built bridges (not fallen branches placed in the water) that take you across. There are countless cylindrical blocks forming ledges and banks throughout the course. These blocks form sand traps of OB on some holes. There are clear paths, sometimes graveled and lined (hole 3) that direct you from tee to pin. It is clear that a lot of work has gone into this course.
Cons: There are a few holes that keep this course from being a 5 for me. Holes 5 and 6, in particular. I have had success on these holes at times but more often I feel I am subject to random ricochets. Both of these holes challenge you to play reserved and controlled, with multiple landing zones. The problem for me lies in the seemingly unnatural lines and/or obstructed lanes getting to the pin.
Other Thoughts: This course belongs in the top ten IMO. It is pro caliber and has great character. Playing this course is like work, though. It can be frustrating. It can be punishing. It can also be rewarding and fun. When I have a good round here, I know that I was really on my game and I earned it.

This is absolutely worthy of a road trip. I drive down from Columbus many times per year to play this course. I like to team it up with Banklick (Lincoln Ridge Park) and Mount Airy in Cinci.

Into the WILD!

2-4    1/15/2011   1/25/2011
Review By: mreynolds24
This review was updated on 10/11/2011
Pros: This course is no cake walk. It is very challenging and long which in my opinion makes it a better course. You have to work in order to make pars and actually shape shots thinking of the next shot instead of running at the basket on every throw. As a long thrower, I like the chance to get out and stretch my arm a little, but any inaccuracy will cost you a stroke if you go off of the fairway. The course is set up really well with most baskets very close to the next tee pads. The fairways with exception to a few are very fair. If you miss one it is mostly your fault for not hitting the line, you can't blame errant trees (again with the exception of a few holes). I live an hour away and cherish every time I get to play "the wild".
Cons: There are a few holes that could take a tree or two out to open the fairway up a little more and provide a decent route to the basket. Tee sign on #4 is outdated and was a little confusing to figure out, but not that big of a deal. You can see from the tee that it is mainly an open field and is a fairly forced tee shot. Have yet to play in good conditions (only played in the rain or snow covered ground) so I can't wait to see it this spring/summer.
Other Thoughts: Love the little touches of each hole and the attention it gets with each hole having a sponsor. The members walk to hole #4 is a very special touch and is something I haven't seen anywhere else. We always take advantage of this when playing with non-members. Can't wait for the possible new additions coming to the course because most of the holes are well thought out, so I know these new holes will provide an even greater challenge to the course.

"I Survived IDLEWILD"

5+    1/20/2011   1/25/2011
Review By: Old Bassman
Pros: This is one great and humbling course.

This review is shorter than the many other reviews and they have elaborated the many pleasures and challenges of this fine course much more eloquently than I can. I don't want to repeat what the other reviews have already said. So here is my brief rundown of the features of Idlewild.

The 18 holes (soon to be 24) have as much variation as might be possible anywhere.
A good throw into the fairway is rewarded many times with another challenging shot.
The concrete tees are complimented with a bench and garbage pail on all holes.
There are multiple pin locations on many holes.
The walk you take to play this course would make a wonderful hike through the woods without playing. Playing the course makes the walk even better.
Cons: The only one I can think of is crossing the fairway of 11 after playing 16, however you are well below the flight path of anyone driving on 11.
Other Thoughts: It is truly the crown jewel of all the fine courses we are lucky to have in the CIncinnati, Ohio area.

It is not a short course, so be ready to invest ( and invest is a good word to use because you will be rewarded) a few hours to play one of the most enjoyable and challenging courses to be found. Then you can say "I Survived IDLEWILD".

IdleWILD

5+    12/5/2010   1/23/2011
Review By: joswald
Pros: -Concrete pads, benchs at every tee.
-Multiple pin positions on majority of holes.
-Some of the best landscape I've seen yet.
-Open and tight, wooded holes.
-A park with family atmosphere with walking trails, ball diamonds, soccer fields, picnic shelters...and neither interferes with the other...except on 2/3 but it's not a problem for either.

Idlewild is one awesome park with lots of risk/reward and every hole variation you could want. It plays slightly better for the lefty than the right-hander(in my rh opinion)...but it's a close call. It requires accuracy and distance to get a good score. The risk/reward is not necessarily with the ob. If your shot gets off fairway on a few wooded holes, it might feel like you went ob by turning a 4 into a 6/7...fairway is very important here. i won't get into individual hole details-see stats for yourself.
For a public course, it can't get much better.
Cons: -Garbage buckets overflow because of the mass traffic going through.
-Occaisonal snakes (land or water).
-#5 has a slightly unrealistic tee shot...just when you think you let loose on one of your most accurate shots ever...Crack!, you hit a tree.
Other Thoughts: Memorable holes:
#15...1000 ft., wide open hole until the island green.
#16...creek passes across fairway 3 times before long pin.
#18...just keep it in the center of the fairway and you'll come out with a 4/5.

I live 35 minutes from Idelwild and pass many courses on the way to play this one!
I think it deserves a 4.75 so I gave it a 5 because 4.5 is not fair.

What can you say that others havn't

5+    11/9/2010   1/20/2011
Review By: Shex44
Pros: I live 3 miles from one of the best courses in the united states. What can you say that others have not said. It is maintained beautifully. It has distance, elevation, and makes you throw every disc in your bag. Open, wooded, hyzer, anhyzer, overhand, forehand, roller, you need them all to survive. And that is the key to playing this course well. Try to survive and don't let it frustrate you. Everyone goes in the woods, you can't help it, but what do you do when you get there. Hero shots are eaten alive, and soon you have three 8's, three 7's, and a bad attitude.
Cons: If you are not experienced and have a temper do not play this course. It won't be fun.
Other Thoughts: Word around the campfire is that they are adding 6 holes. They are supposed to be in by late April. Most of the new holes will be after #2. Around the lake. I love this course.

Idle Wild

2-4    5/30/2010   1/16/2011
Review By: vetonoshake
Pros: Challenging and fun! Lots of different shot types. Signature hole is over 1,000 ft. Beautiful scenery. Not crowded. Nice signs. Shouldn't have much trouble with losing discs.
Cons: What's not to love?
Other Thoughts: The best course I've played so far. Seriously, if you are a disc golfer, you need to put this course on your wish list.

From an Intermediate & short tees & Baskets (you may want to read other thoughts first)

2-4    10/24/2010   11/19/2010
Review By: Matthew boals
Pros: as I step up for my first drive I noticed the VERY nice Houck tees signs (much needed since the last time I was here),bench,full size trash can and the good size concrete tee. #1 named "Bluegrass Parkway" (a;640',b;570') The very wide and long grassy fairway seems a little intimidating,but I've thrown 600' fairways before,why be?....the wind! The fairway is surrounded by mature trees on three sides. With underbrush on the left and cleaned out on the right. One tall & wide tree in the middle,I shot a 5.  #2 "Got your "A" Game" (a;505',b;370') The right side of the fairway has rolling mounds with smaller diameter trees with no underbrush. The left side is obviously the preferred flight path.1st basket location is on the side of a mound before the paved trail.The 2nd basket location plays over both the trail & water. Shot a 4. #3 "Respect the Oak" (a;420',b;390',c;455') The 1st 2/3 of the fairway is open with the creek,lined with trees,on your left. My goal; get to the Oak,not today in this wind. As I get passed the Oak I see the basket protected by smaller diameter trees & all of the blood,sweat & tears put into the course by some very motivated DGers,Thank you. Shot a 4. #4 "For the Girls" (a;225',b;175') After walking the "Hall of Fame" path you'll find a somewhat tight fairway. Then opens up to a grassy fairway. Basket was in the "long" position. Which plays over the trail and behind a cluster of smaller diameter trees. Shot a 5....hit a tree off the tee & didn't play the wind correctly coming out of the woods,putt was low hit the basket. #5 "Can't drive 5"? (Sign bolt blocking part of the name) (a;510',b;360') 1st 1/4 of the fairway open, with the "landing area",as marked on the tee sign, just inside the tree line. Then goes uphill to the right with scattered trees and less underbrush on the right. Shot a 5. #6 "Daniel Boone Trail" (a;587',b;360') Very narrow (15-20') wide fairway with a small incline from the tee. Has a few trees in the middle of the Fairway. Shot a 5. #7 "Tori's Alley" (a;259',b;235') An even more narrow fairway than #6 (10') little underbrush the first half, on both sides.Curves right over a small slope basket is protected by 4 trees. Forcing a low canopy putt. Shot a 3. #8 "Green Acres is the place to be" (a;368',b;309') Tee from near the bottom of a valley,with the creek on your right. The fairway gets tighter as it slopes up to the basket,placed on top of a mound. It will give your disc back to you....it did me. Shot a 5. #9 "No Fear" (a;195',b;200') From a "high" point drive thru the 12' fairway over a "creek" to a hillside basket,giving a roll-a-way green. Shot a 3. #10 "I'm just warming up....Hoo Yaa!" (a;642,b;581') A dogleg right after a 235' drive. Then I'm looking at a 350' 2nd drive into the open grassy hillside. With the basket on the left behind a line of trees. Shot a 7. I'm renaming this hole; "Screwed". #11 "KY Gap" (a;500',b;457') A.K.A. The "Signature hole" A downhill narrow fairway with thick brush on both sides. Drive thru the famous "Y" for setting yourself up for your second drive....careful on your placement you gotta land between the winding creek. Shot a 4. Feeling good, hit a 35' putt! #12 "Thread the needle" (a;134') the name says it ALL, look at the picture! The fairway is,at most, 7' wide! Shot a 4. #13 I forgot to get the hole name (a;580',b;469',c;237') Somewhat Open fairway that tested my accuracy & distance. The basket is to the right. Shot a 3. I'll rename it "thankful for the "C" position". #14 "Heeey easy here" (234')? An uphill drive over a creek with smaller diameter trees on either side of the creek. Ace Run!?.... Not today,for me. Shot a 3. #15 "Air it out....And out" (1001') Since the last time I played the tall grass was let to grow,still 5' tall!? Damn! Anyway,I just tried to drive,as I did the wind took my first drive up then down before it reached the tall grass on the left. Mulligan! Hey, it's not a tourney and no money is on it. Tee off again,make it just over the first "valley". Then into the tall grass both on the left and right. Shoot to the tree line with the basket just over the creek surrounded by a handful of trees. Shot a 7...O.K. 8 with the mulligan. #16 "Land between the creek" (a;445',b;339') I believe this is the "Signature hole". When it's freshly cut and "Picture perfect" this is one of the most beautiful holes I've ever played! Ball golf quality greens. Play over the winding creek 4 times,in the short position. 6 times in the long position. Shot a 4! My .02.....rename it "Winding creek fairway"? #17 "Overdue for a Duce" (222') drive up a gentle incline with the fairway getting narrower as you approach the basket. Shot a 4. #18 "Y'all come back now ya hear" (651') Fairly wide and open fairway with more underbrush on the right. Hitting a tree before the first "ridge" on my drive. Then another tree over the "Valley". A few more times before I get into the open & the wind. Shot a 6. I believe that an 81,82 with the mulligan!
Cons: No Scorecards available. A few Footbridges need more support. #3 to #4,#9, 2nd bridge on #16. #13"C" position needs an inner set of chains. With the wind gusting to 35-40 mph the International airport was redirecting flights right over the park,Every 20-30 minutes. Low enough to read the Airlines name. New housing across the street? Alot more people using the park, Not as secluded as I remember. But with the leaves down your gonna "feel" less secluded and hear other park users.
Other Thoughts: First let me tell everyone It's been 5/6 years since I last played here. I have a noodle arm drive (225+,-). my approach,I believe,is the best part of my game. I'm good on my putts for about 30'. As I drive into the park,taking the first left to get the the parking lot, I noticed it's been paved. Portable toilets are now available,nice! It's a clear blue sky hitting 55 degrees and windy as hell. Constant wind of 10-15 mph & gusting to 35-40....it's gonna be interesting. All the leaves are off the trees and,as I tee up to #1,I notice the added practice basket. I decide not to take advantage of it and go to #1 tee. After your round take a right out of the park and enjoy the newly paved hilly winding road back to the interstate,about 15-20 minutes. A Thank you goes not only Fred Salaz & Bob Herbert for designing the course but to park employee Kevin Brasher for mowing & trash removal(As stated in LStephens review). I had a great time, even with the wind. I'll be back next summer to enjoy this beauty in it's full bloom. I'll play both the long tees & basket placements...let's see if I can keep my score in double digits!? Enjoy!

Challenging

1    10/27/2010   11/15/2010
Review By: tistoude
This review was updated on 11/17/2010
Pros: The pro's of this course are numerous. First it is on an absolutely gorgeous piece of land with lush grass, what looks like a hay field, thick woods, ponds, creeks and gently rolling hills. Perfect disc golf terrain. The course itself sprawls over this terrain and offers you a little bit of everything and occasionally all of it on one hole!
The design goals of this course seem to be twofold, aesthetically pleasing and friggin challenging. Kudos, cause you nailed it. This is one of the prettiest and hardest courses I have ever played on. Each hole is individually breathtaking and distinctly unique from all the others with a wide variety in length and elevation.
Over the course of 18 holes if played correctly you will use pretty much every shot possible. FH's, BH's, long bombs, putters off the tee, hard hyzers, soft touch shots, pin point landings, and the bane of all novices laying up. This course definitely emphasizes hitting the available lines with accuracy and makes you put a lot of thought into where you want your disc to land.
This course also seems designed to mess with your head during putting. When playing the long pins you really need a steady putter due to the trouble near (or surrounding) some of the pins.
The tee pads are very large and kept in very nice condition. The tee signs were beautiful and very helpful. Plenty of benches and trash buckets available.
Elevation is used very effectively and is present on all but maybe 2 holes.
One of the main things I appreciate is how much work/love was obviously put into this course. Every bridge and walkway really stands out. Literally on every single hole you can see the work that was put in. Thanks to all of you who put in the time to make such a great course.
A couple of memorable holes for me without doing the entire hole by hole rundown since they are all memorable: #15, which after being mostly constrained off the tee allows you to bomb a drive finally, then you do it again! Open for about 900ft and then down a nice little hill back into the woods with a creek guarding the front of the basket. Really you get it all on this hole. #18, a great hole to finish on. Requiring straight shots through the woods and ending in the great wide open to a pin defended by two very large cypress trees. I also like #3 a lot, a downhill drive into the woods and the first hole where the stream becomes a factor. Once into the trees there are plenty of available lines to the pin. #3 is a very beautiful hole.
Cons: First off I realize that there are a lot of people who do not feel that Idlewild has cons and any cons I list should not detract from the amazing amount of work put into this course.
The day that I played this course was in late October and the course looked very run down, with debris all over the course. I felt like I extended my round by 45 minutes just clearing branches and debris off the fairways. A lot of the nice white bricks along the creek (which was completely dry) had fallen out and garbage was overflowing from the buckets and on the ground. Although the course was still very pretty it did not even come close to what I had seen in pictures.
I felt that the amount of OB on this course was very gimmicky. Hole #16 is a very interesting looking hole but really it is just a crap shoot whether you go OB or not. Hole #11's narrow green for the long pin is silly. It gives you pretty much no chance at running a putt longer than 20 ft without the fear of going OB. All in all just too much OB and a lot of it is manmade. If the OB was just the water (creek/pond) itself I think the course would play better, no need to add manmade OB.
A good portion of the course is just too tight, so many of the holes are just narrow paths that force you to throw very specific, short placement shots without any chance at all of going for the pin. I prefer wooded courses over open but these woods felt too limiting with low ceilings and close growing trees. On a hole like #5 where you throw to the landing zone (the only one) then up the hill and make your long putt or layup your approach, everyone does the same thing. It feels very forced and doesn't seem to allow for creativity, #6 is the same way, I threw a putter 3 times missed a 30 ft putt and walked off with my 5. Oddly enough my playing partner did the same thing.
Even though I enjoyed being on this pretty course I did not feel like it was very much fun. When I was done I felt a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction for shooting pretty well but no real sense of anticipation to play it again. Challenging yes, fun not so much.
Also as mentioned in previous reviews after finishing hole 16 you need to cross 11's fairway to get to 17's tee. Crossing fairways are never a good idea.
I would also have liked to see some water available on the course since it is a very long grinding course.
Other Thoughts: I was very glad that I had an opportunity to play Idlewild. I completely understand why it is held in such high esteem. I would love for Idlewild to be my home course because I think it can make a player better and forces more thought into a lot of shots. Although I did not have a lot of fun on the course I appreciated the challenge and the time that went into the development of it.
Although we did not see any Idlewild locals on the course every disc golfer we met in the Cinncy/KY area was super helpful and nice. On the day (a weekday) that I played, there were no other groups anywhere else on the course and the parking lots were empty which was pretty cool since it meant we got an awesome and popular course all to ourselves. By contrast we played Banklick earlier in the morning and there were probably 5 groups on the course at the same time as us.
I think that I am going to try and come back to play in the Bluegrass Open next year. I think it would be great to see the course in tournament shape with all the trees and grass in full bloom. I think that I will revisit my rating after that but as of right now I feel like it is a 4 disc/excellent course

show me a better course, i dare you.

2-4    10/22/2010   10/31/2010
Review By: porchmike
Pros: perfect tee pads

beautiful islands for some of the baskets, stone- sided creeks, bridges- really nice landscaping

nice, long shots

difficult routes on most holes

high risk, but great reward for accuracy

hard to really lose a disc(not impossible)

#15 is 1001 ft!

#3 is the sickest turnover shot for a RHBH thrower if you can get it in there

#6 will reward you for good throws and spank you for hitting trees

#10- the second shot would be a good drive for most people

#18 just goes and goes- seems longer than 650 ft- one of my favorites
Cons: huh? no way. this must be the pinnacle of course design. if you're any good at disc golf, this place will blow your mind. i feel like this is the first "real" course i've ever played.
Other Thoughts: this course is worth coming to from anywhere in the world. i plan on coming back whenever i can and for as long as possible.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 16