Burlington, KY
Idlewild Share
4 / 640ft.   4 / 640ft.   4 / 640ft.   4 / 640ft. Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 17
A must-play in the midwest

2-4    10/10/2016   10/11/2016
Review By: evan0211
Pros: -Wide variety of holes including water hazards, mandos and some multiple tee and pin positions.
-some heavily wooded holes and some wide open holes.
-Actual island greens with artificial turf and brick borders.
-Some very long holes, but not field-like.
-Each hole offers different routes to take with opportunities to get aggressive and play conservatively.
Cons: -Very long course, around 2 miles worth of throwing.
-Very difficult course would not be advisable for beginners
-"Next tee" signs are vague and holes are sometimes hard to find.
-Some long rough on back nine makes it difficult to find discs.
-Water hazards are murky and discs lost in water are basically lost.
-Some steep elevation change and length of course can be tiring, bring lots of water and some food.
Other Thoughts: I played Mt. Airy one day then made my way over to play Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge the next day. Idlewild is my new favorite course. It offers a very professional feel because of the manicured fairways, brick-lined O.B. creek, and some turf island greens. This course is very long though with many holes over 500 feet and hole 15 being 1001 feet. Definitely not a course for any beginners or inexperienced throwers. Mount airy has a great pro shop that is worth the drive and Lincoln Ridge is a beautiful shorter course with lots of trees and elevation. Idlewild however became my new favorite course even though i lost 2 discs there. There was a lot of variation in hole type and length. I found myself taking pictures of each hole just because I couldn't believe the how maintained and beautiful the course is.

1    9/29/2016   9/30/2016
Review By: derrickmmurray
Other Thoughts: WOW thought this place would be easier to navigate than it was very difficult as it pertains to fitness as well as shots. I played the long pin placement and had to rush due to setting sun but never should u try to rush this course u will regret it. If I had more time to soak it up more might have been more enjoyable but definitely see the love for this place but not for the faint of heart. I have only played this glorious game since May of this year and the course showed no mercy. I will be returning to this beast when I am around the area again and hopefully have better fitness and experience plus technique or a deeper launch. Definitely worth the play anytime for anyone but if ur a beginner be prepared to get your ass kicked by this beautiful course!!!

Beautiful and challenging, but sometimes a little too challenging

2-4    8/24/2016   8/25/2016
Review By: Nasty Nate
Pros: Idlewild is a huge and beautiful course in the Kentucky countryside that offers every challenge imaginable. I'll try to be concise with my thoughts:

-Idlewild is a champion level course with a sprawling, hilly layout with lots of elevation changes, doglegs, and tree-lined tunnel shots to utilize every shot in your bag.
-There are multiple tees and pin placements that give even more variety and challenge to this already difficult course
-Idlewild obviously has a lot of care put into it. There are nice man-made greens that play over creeks, as well as different rampart constructions that come into play. Bridges and walkways abound through the woods. It's a really nice change of pace from the average disc golf course.
-There are many signature shots that are just beautiful. Everyone points to the 1000' hole but I think the shot on hole 11 has to be one of the best in the business. You tee off through a Y-shaped tree mando, which is just amazing. Also hole 11 plays to one of the man-made greens I mentioned, which is a nice touch.
-The land has been used very well and creates a challenging and picturesque course at every turn. Over and around creeks, zig-zags through trees, up and downhill blind shots, every kind of shot is here.
-There are amenities on site such as a water fountain and porta potties.
Cons: -There are no scorecards and the only course map is at the start where it instructs you to take a picture with your phone in order to navigate. This can be confusing as next tees are not always obvious and you play from hole 4 to hole F.
-The baskets don't match the quality of this course. The practice basket is some strange old thing with one row of chains and the course baskets are pretty beat. It would be nice to have some updated baskets to put the cherry on top.
-Idlewild is HUGE and it is TOUGH. It is a very long hike with lots of elevation change and the course is unforgiving. There are not many chances for birdies unless you make a miraculous distance shot through the woods. On some holes you don't even see the basket until you've thrown ~3 drives. Most people can expect to score 5 or more on almost every hole. Averaging a 4 per hole would be good here. There are very few chances for ace runs. It's very difficult to score low on this course.
-There aren't many wide open holes where you get to really rip a drive. The challenge comes from distance-placement shots which can get a bit old.
Other Thoughts: Idlewild is definitely not a course for beginners and even the most experienced players will find difficulty. It is a great course and a nice change of pace, but I feel like its size and difficulty negatively affect it.

There are very few chances for birdies and many wooded shots have no other options except for rollers. Combined with long, uphill hikes to throw shot after shot trying to get to the basket, this course can be extremely tiring and aggravating. That shouldn't dissuade you from a beautiful afternoon in the park, but by the end I felt that it was just not fair. It can be unnecessarily difficult.

Idlewild is definitely one of the nicest, most well designed courses I've ever played. It is extremely tough and beautiful at the same time. However, be prepared for a long hike that will take all afternoon. This course will work you as much as possible. It will make you throw every shot in your bag whether you like it or not. Idlewild is a great course but it can't be a daily driver. It's just too daunting for a regular round of disc golf. This is one of those "special visit" courses where there is a fine line between pleasure and pain.

Idelwild Put A Comfortable But Serious Butt Whippin On Me!

1    8/14/2016   8/16/2016
This review was updated on 9/3/2016
Pros: I played Idelwild the morning after playing Mt. Airy. The difference, to me, was that I just felt a little more pressure free playing Idelwild. Idelwild allows you to relax for a hole here and there. Now part of this might be because my local host Jeff (Sisyphus), had our group of four playing what they called Idel MILD. Apparently when playing Idel MILD you:

1. Don't play the extra lettered holes, only the original 18.
2. Are allowed extra mulligans as you see fit.
3. Aren't real concerned with established OB lines, especially those on or around the greens.
4. Play from the "shorts".

Idelwild has solid, but not overwhelming awesome, amenities, as a destination should have. Everything is fine but it's the course and it's challenging but fair lines, that are the drawing card here. Playing from the "Longs", this course would be world class challenging.

I llove the amount of engineering that has gone into the course. Only Bryant Park in Minneapolis ranks higher in terms of overall landscaping, bridges, elevated and creative tee pads, stairs and basket area landscaping.

I think the smallish carpet greens on # 4 and 15 with surrounding OB have to add almost a stroke to everyone's score. Is there another hole with these carpet greens that I'm missing?

# 15 is a classic hole with it's 1000' length, fairly narrow fairway with the tall grass on each side and then the long sloping hill to that miniscule landing area. I found the entire hole rather intimidating but it would be great television to watch the top pros tackle it.

What I like about Idelwild is that, if an old few player such as myself, can actually hit his lines, he can enjoy playing this incredibly challenging course. I probably should clarify that by pointing out, I'm talking about playing from the "Short tees". From the "Longs", forget it, I shoot 100 over par. It wouldn't matter what lines I hit.

Cons: The Saturday morning that our group played, they were in agreement that the course was in the worst shape they had ever seen it. And Jeff has played it close to 100 times. There was a big ole branch down over the bench on one hole, lots of smaller branches down in other places and the course was in need of a mowing. Personally, I thought it was in great shape. My standards are greatly affected after playing dozens of mediocre courses on this road trip.

Idelwild has world class holes, challenge wise. What it lacks is that hole that people want to empty their bag on, the awesome top of the world shot. I can't see players wanting to empty their bag on 15? Can you say, how many will end up in the prairie grass?

My other con is personal but for me it can affect my rating. Although Idelwild is in a pretty park, it's scenery is not stunningly, take your breath away, magnificent like many of my favorite courses. Two that come quickly to mind are, Beaver Ranch in Colorado and Whistler's Bend in central Oregon. Both have incredibly, beautiful long downhill throws that you love to watch your disc sail away on.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed the relaxed round I had here at Idelwild. From the "Shorts", the playing can be comfortable, certainly not easy, no, never easy. Easy is not a word that in any way describes Idelwild.

Thanks to Jeff for putting group together and also to Troy and Steve for their insight and humor.

Like Mt. Airy, I have struggled with my rating for Idelwild. I'd be very comfortable (there's that word again) giving it a 4.75, if I could. But because of the less than impeccable grooming of the course and the lack of that one incredible hole, I'm taking .25 off for each and forced to bestow a 4.5 rating on Idelwild.

A Great course that needs some TLC

2-4    8/13/2016   8/15/2016
Review By: UFM82
Pros: As has been stated, a very challenging course that will test your mettle. Long holes, short holes, technical holes, open bombers and elevation changes throughout make for a course that never seems to repeat. While playing all 24 holes will wear you out, it will be physical and you will leave wanting more. One of my top 3 in the area.
Cons: Not a course for beginners or those with a tendency to throw off course. Water can and will eat discs, the grass on 15 especially is a source of heartache for many (although a goldmine for those willing to suffer some shin-destroying search missions) and there is no water or restrooms on the course except for at #1.
Be also aware that this is a community park and other events occur there. When we played the local Fire and Police departments were there doing a deal and the kids blew the horns on the trucks for 4 solid hours. Also there was a high school cross country meet there and there were groups running on the course. That was interesting.
Other Thoughts: As noted on the conditions, this course needs some attention. The concrete core retaining walls are falling down around the unique tee islands, the foot bridges were pretty bouncy and rickety, the signage was ok but showing signs of wear/damage. The grass on 15 was 4' high and a disc in there is literally a disc in a haystack. Very tough to find- our group lost two there but found 6 others...
A Saturday mission of volunteers should gather and revamp the course. I'd like to know who to contact to try to get this done. It's a great course but with the conditions starting to degrade it could lose its status as one of the best. But I'll be back, many times...

Very nice course that could be amazing

1    8/6/2016   8/7/2016
Review By: Gliming5000
This review was updated on 8/8/2016
Pros: Beautiful surrounding area
Very nicely mowed
Difficult with some very long holes
Fairly easy to find flyaways
Many very nice holes
Cons: Very Narrow fairways through the woods
Many trees in the middle of the fairways
Small gaps you have to hit from 300 ft.
No real opportunity to shape shots
Takes a long time
Other Thoughts: This course is very good. There are some extremely difficult holes that are also extremely gorgeous. But maybe a third of the holes cause you to think the course may be laughing in your face. Through the woods the fairways are maybe 15 feet wide with trees in the middle. This makes for a few holes that are just plain not fun. For example, Hole E's teepad is behind a lake, which is fine, but the reeds are 6 feet high... good luck throwing any line that will end up on the right side of the pond. I'm not amazing and I've only been playing for just over a year, but I'm pretty alright and every one of my shots hit a tree.

Also plan for this course to take a long time. it took me and a friend over 3 hours to play this course, and it seemed like every one of my shots was from the rough due to the large number of trees in the middle of the fairway.

With that said it is worth the try if you've never experienced it. The park is very beautiful, the course is hard, and it's rated among the top in the country. I like the course alright, but since it's more than an hour and a half from where I live, if I come to the area again for disc golf I'll go to lincoln ridge.

My new favorite

1    7/12/2016   7/12/2016
Review By: AHagglund
Pros: It's not shocking that Idlewild is my new favorite course; by the looks of it, Idlewild is A LOT of peoples' favorite course. What is unusual, however, is that I knew it would be my new favorite course after only the first 5 or 6 holes.

The course is serene, clean, and most importantly, fair. It is certainly challenging, but not so much that the course becomes a grind. Every time I made a bad shot, my first instinct was to go back and try again, because there weren't any shots that were so silly difficult that I didn't feel I had a chance. (This is a huge plus for me. The shots that I felt would be good out of my hand usually were, and the same was true with the bad; I felt like I got what I deserved either way. On some exceptionally tough courses, it almost feels like luck is as big of a factor as skill; who gets the good bounce of the tree, who gets kicked OB, etc.) Other positives:

Despite the huge expanse of the park, navigation is not an issue.

Despite all the water hazards, prairie, and forests, it's hard to lose a disc (especially compared to courses of similar difficulty).

Despite how much other activity goes on in the park, it never interferes with the course.

Favorite holes: probably 3, 11, and 16. All of the ones that run along the stream, actually. All in all a great course that I wish I could play every day.
Cons: I honestly can't think of any. Alternate tee pads maybe?
Other Thoughts: I am re-scaling all of my ratings to account for Idlewild.

DG heaven

5+    6/12/2015   5/31/2016
Review By: Cerealman
Pros: * Variety -- every hole is different and offers its own challenges. Idlewild offers an excellent mixture between wooded and open, hilly and flat, short and long.
* Very few "filler" holes (maybe #F, if I'm being picky)
* A mental challenge -- accuracy is paramount, so consider each shot carefully. It you "throw and hope," you'll likely be sorry.
* Beauty -- the most aesthetically pleasing course I've encountered. I've seen deer and squirrels and birds and lush green fairways and vibrant wildflowers ... hence the review title.
* Peaceful -- I've played Idlewild at least half a dozen times and typically have the park almost to myself.
* Artistic tee signage -- just one of the many touches that makes Idlewild great.
* Challenging -- when you make a par (or birdie) at Idlewild, you earned it!
Cons: * Could use a couple more navigation signs indicating "next tee."
* Can get muddy at times.
Other Thoughts: Idlewild is an excellent benchmark for disc golf courses.

Not for the faint of arm

1    5/16/2016   5/18/2016
Review By: Taylor510ce
Pros: Thoughtful, fair, and makes you use your entire arsenal of shot selection, and your brain.
Cons: If the grass is high, it's hellacious. If you can't throw more than 300-320' on a drive, you might have a hard time making par.
Other Thoughts: Beautiful work with the club to do what they have done with it. This course has teeth if you can't hit the landing zones. But if you take it a chunk at a time, you can do this!

Top Course in the Country

5+    3/12/2016   5/18/2016
Review By: Jowsepi
Pros: This is a professional Disc golf course that will make you use every throw you know. If you play the strict OB this course really pushes you. The greens are very unique and help to set this course apart.
Cons: This course is not for beginners. If you are new to the sport, you may be better of going down the road 5 minutes to Boone Woods.
Other Thoughts: A group of 4 will take over 2 hours to play if you are doing all 24 holes. Take your time to enjoy this beautiful park.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16 17