Burlington, KY
Idlewild Share

1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
 A must play for everyone

2-4    11/4/2008   11/5/2008
Review By: kyflash
Pros: This course is as eye pleaseing as it is challenging. You must hit your spots to score well here. The placements are structured to make you think beyond your tee shot.
Cons: The basket on 18 is a pretty decent way from where you park.
Other Thoughts: The prettiest course I have ever seen. Lots of planning and resources went into Idlewild. If you are ever near the N. Ky./Cincy area you owe it to yourself to find this course.

Toughest course ever!!!

2-4    4/25/2008   10/30/2008
Review By: jgentry
This review was updated on 2/4/2009
Pros: This is truely a great test of your disc golf ability. The course is well kept, has great teepads and signs. You need to throw every shot in your bag and several that you don't have. One of only 2 courses that I've played that the listing of par on the signs is actually acurrate. If it says you need 5 shots you will!!! Some of the toughest holes you will ever play with #13 being my favorite on the course. A must play for any one in the area.
Cons: I felt like there were several longer holes in the woods that I was just pitching a putter to a spot. Then you pitch the putter to the next spot. Then you do it again, then you try to make a putt. You can also get very frustrated if you are just a little bit off. You can make a really good throw and barely tick a tree and end up screwed. It's like this on any wooded course but idlewild magnifies this a 100%. There are also a couple holes that don't seem to have any real fairway like #16. You a just thowing trying to hit your first gap and hope to get luck after that (although #16 is a very cool hole). The only real issue is you have to cross one fairway to get to the next teepad. There is a sign warning to be careful, but this truely a bad design flaw.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is truely a great course. I should probably give it a 5 but it's just not my style of course and I don't think any course were you have to cross a farway to get to the next hole can be a 5. I prefer banklick but think both a truely great must play courses. 2 of the guys a play with think this is the best course ever though, so it's just a personal preference. Yes I'm a wuss and this course kicked my butt 2 days in a row.

Played over 20 times this year

5+    8/15/2008   10/14/2008
Review By: ruthemv
This review was updated on 6/17/2009
Pros: Anything and everything you want. No paying, not all that crowded. Groomed like a golf course. Hard as hell. Every hole is a possible to birdie (though some harder than others).
Cons: I wish on 1, 9 and 17 had the optional pin thats shown on the tee map.
Other Thoughts: My best score playing on all the tough tee boxes and right pars is plus 3, My brother, our buddy and I played a total of around 50 rounds together this summer and our average I would guess is around +8.
#1 Launch
#2 in the lake is where we lost the most discs.
#3 eagleable
#9 Easiest
#10 a beauty
#11 play it right no better feeling
# 12 2nd easiest
#13 Unless your a left I have to say is the most crazy tough add some strokes to your round triple bogey hole.
#14 Its never rained that hard while I was outside.
#15 An eagle, .02% chance my friend
#16 If you play outofbounds look out
#17 Might be the easiest par 4
#18 missed a gimmie for bird, wow, I've seen a great player shoot 11 on the hole.
If you shot under par let me know!

Anyone shot below par?

Disc golf nirvana

2-4    8/31/2008   9/2/2008
Review By: upfromtheashes
Pros: Many courses are constrained by the available topography. In so many cases, the available plot of land is either overwooded, or underwooded, or too small to give you the freedom to design some longer holes.

Idlewild isn't limited in any such way. It sits on a perfect site for a disc golf course. Wooded but not too wooded. Some open rolling hills. Doesn't feel cramped by plot size.

So right off the bat, Idlewild starts with many advantages that other courses lack. But that's only half of the equation.

The other half of the equation is the upkeep and maintenance. I can't say enough about this. It's the most manicured disc golf course I've ever played. Just top notch. Great signage, wonderful huge teepads that a sasquatch like me can appreciate. I really have to tip my cap to the people who keep this course up. They do the sport proud.
Cons: The only possible negative I could give this course is that it's difficulty could be such than newer players may find it frustrating.
Other Thoughts: I'd been playing disc golf for less than a year when I first played Idlewild. It was tough. "Too tough", according to my playing partner. Fast forward 3 years, and now he and I both have a bit more seasoning and some new shots in our arsenals. We played Idlewild for the second time last weekend. We both enjoyed it immensely. We'll definitely be making an annual trip from this point onward.

The more courses you play, the more you will appreciate what they have done at Idlewild. It is a special course.

The Grand-Daddy of Them All

5+    6/29/2008   8/29/2008
Review By: Andy Hlavac
Pros: This is one of the best courses in the world. It is very challenging and will punish mistakes. While the difficulty can be frustrating, it also forces you to improve your game. Also, your opponents will be facing the same challeneges so you can suffer together!

One of the coolest aspects of Idlewild is the "island" holes. Several of the holes have baskets strategically placed on penninsulas in the middle of an OB stream. Place your putts perfectly or pay!

Cons: Can't list anything here. Idlewild is God's playground.
Other Thoughts: Thank you to the Greater Cincinnati Flying Disc Association for this gem!

7/11/2008   8/3/2008
Review By: volleyballnick
Pros: Great course, challenging, well taken care of, good signs, beautiful scenery.
Cons: Some holes seem to be almost too hard in which a distinct fairway cannot even be found through the trees. One particular par three comes to mind. Also only one basket on some holes where two are listed on the sign.
Other Thoughts: Playing here was a lot of fun, but almost too much of a challenge on just a couple holes for anyone non-professional.

Good as it gets

7/1/2008   7/4/2008
Review By: Greg Boyer
Pros: Great mix of holes. Very well maintained. 1000 foot hole with landscaped green is sweet. Will definitely challenge anybody.
Cons: Not for beginners. Don't forget to bring huge bottle of water.
Other Thoughts: I came in hoping it would be worthy of the hype. It is and then some. Between this, Banklick, and Mt. Airy the Cincinnati area is THE best destination for a disc golf road trip.

1    6/23/2008   6/24/2008
Review By: agentdozzer
This review was updated on 7/7/2013
Pros: One of the nicest well taken care of course in the world. The volunteer adopt a hole keeps this course in top shape. Island greens on 3,11,13,15,and 16 are best greens i have ever played. Course never plays the same twice, will challenge every level player.
Cons: What cons? Could benifit from alternate tee pads for new players, but who wants newbies in there way on a 1000 rated course? Update they have added short baskets on five and six.
Other Thoughts: New baskets are not but together right on all the holes giving you a smaller target, hole five now has a single chain basket not championship caliber at its current conditions.

Idlewild

6/15/2007   6/18/2008
Review By: Rhinoflight
Pros: Landscaping with what nature gives you is one of the best pros about this course. Its topography is outstanding. Fairways are kept very nicely, and I applaud the volunteers for thier work. Courses don't get too much better than this in the East/Midwest.
I love it when a course it mentally challenging enough to get me talking to myself.
Cons: I can't find a printable course card to take with me, and I can't remember if one is provided at the first tee. I remember getting lost last year several times and finally found someone to play the course with.
Other Thoughts: I think #2 should probably be a Par 3. At least I would get that false sense of security going on around to 4. HA. I have played courses from Maine to texas to Florida and rate this course in my top 10. It would probably make the top 5 if there was a nice, professional looking scorecard to be picked up at the first hole(maybe this has changed...if so, welcome to the top 5). I come to Cinci once a year and look forward to the trip for at least 5 weeks before because of this course. Also some notes...Dang I was thirsty by the time the course was finished with me!

Setting the standard

5/24/2008   6/11/2008
Review By: timg
Pros: Excellent hole variety, elevation changes, length and basket placements. Informative tee signs and benches at just about every tee.

Many holes have multiple tees and the layout is pretty straight forward and easy to follow even without a map.

The course is also extremely well maintained
Cons: Cons? What cons?
Other Thoughts: This course beat me up quite a few times and I still came out with a smile. Every hole presented a new challenge and there were very few, if any, "gimmes" as far as easy holes.

Hole #1 lulls you into a false sense of security with an open field shot and then they throw you to the lions. The combination of woods, water and length make for an exhilarating round that will run you through a gamut of emotions as you birdie, par and bogey your way through this course.

Holes #15 and #16 stand out in my mind. Hole #15 clocks in at 1000+ ft. over rolling hills. You know a hole is long when you find a sign midway through letting you know that there is another 400ft to the pin! Hole #16 has you throwing over a creek that snakes its way through the trees at one of two baskets. Placement on this hole is pretty important to say the least.

Idlewild has easily secured a spot in my top 10 course list and I'm sure it will make your list if you get a chance to play a round here.

There is no question that you should play this course if you are in Cincinnati or anywhere nearby. You would be doing yourself a huge disservice by not making the trip to play it as it is truly a magnificent course.

1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15