Burlington, KY
Idlewild Share
Uploaded By: Dawgii Hole #2 (Taken 10/2012)
Hole #2 Basket (Long Position)

1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
 My favorite so far

1    11/26/2008   11/29/2008
Review By: Hamilton
This review was updated on 12/20/2008
Pros: Every hole provides a new challenge, i.e.
Hole 1, long sweeping ridge, woods on left, slope on right, visually stunning
Hole 3 down and right, criss-crossing creek
Hole 5 down over the creek, back up and to the right through trees to the basket
Hole 6 up a blind hill through a tunnel
Hole 10 goes out 300+ ft, then 90 degrees right and curving left w/ a huge slope on the right, then basket surrounded by trees
Hole 11 you throw downhill through a Y-shaped tree then over a hill to an awesome island green
Hole 14 up a HUGE hill then to the right
Hole 15 frickin 1000 foot hole to an island green
Hole 16 over the creek like 6 times to an island green
Hole 18 loooooooong tunnel fairway opening up to the basket in a semi-circle of cypress trees
This course is SUPER-bada$$. I've only been playing for about 7 months, and thought I was coming along nicely until this course rocked my world. It was amazingly fun to play and required using every shot and disc that I have. The elevation changes are sick, and there are 6 holes with island greens, which I love.
Cons: Sometimes hard to find the next tee, course map helps A LOT! Also the course map distances don't always match the tee signs, no big deal. If you are an amateur and get frustrated easily, this may not be the course for you. If you can shrug off bad shots turning tragic (score-wise), you should be OK. Park signage a little confusing about where hole 1 tee is, and there is a pretty decent (1/4 mile maybe) hike from 18 basket back to the parking lot by hole 1.
Other Thoughts: After hearing all the hype about this course, had to make the hour drive up and find out for myself. It met ALL my expectations and then some, can't wait to play it again. I would give it a 5, but I've told myself I won't do that until a course is both completely awesome AND I either get an ace or shoot pro par, so that may be a while (joke). My real reason is that I don't believe a course should be a 5 unless there is absolutely nothing I would change about it at all. If you could give a course a 4.99 I would definitely give that for Idlewild.

If you are in the area, DEFINITELY go play this course, allow yourself about 2.5-3 hours to fully enjoy it, more if it is busy.

Amazing, challenging

5+    11/29/2007   11/29/2008
Review By: SimonCarr
This review was updated on 12/13/2008
Pros: Idlewild is one of the only true par 72 courses in existence as far as I know. The layout of the course is about as good as it gets. Every hole is different from the previous one, no two are alike here. Want to crush drives as far as possible? Want to play the ultimate risk vs reward course? This is it.

You will find well defined fairways, with tight gaps in places. None of the shots are unfair, but there are a few where luck comes into play. Many of the holes play through rugged terrain that goes around creeks, up hill sides and over ravines.

The directions and signage on the courses are awesome. I can't say enough about the maintenance... bridges, trails, teepads and baskets are all in top notch shape.

To really score well at this course you will need to have accurate drives and an excellent mid-range game. Many of the most challenging shots require throwing on a tight line and will punish shots that stray off the fairway.
Cons: I don't live close enough to it!

This is not a course for people new to the sport. I wouldn't recommend this course to someone who had been playing a year or less. Even professional caliber players could come to this course and struggle - be prepared to take some 5's and 6's.
Other Thoughts: On the majority of the holes here, you will be grateful to take a 4... sometimes elated because it took a 300 foot approach to do it.

This is a great destination course for any serious disc golfer. Also, Banklick is just right down the road, you can play two amazing courses in 1 day.

To anyone interested in playing a tournament at Idlewild: The Bluegrass Open is a tremendous tournament that happens every year, with rounds at Idlewild and Banklick.

When busy it takes 2.5 hours or more to complete a round. Bring water/snacks.

Wild but Beautiful...

2-4    5/29/2011   11/20/2008
Review By: dobbins66
This review was updated on 6/14/2011
Pros: Best kept course I have ever played, For a course to be in the woods as much as this one an be taken care of in the manner it is in incredible. Big Thanks to the guys that do this.

Greens are defined beautifully and many have some extras added in to add to the appearance (and increase the difficulty).

It has everything. Extremely long open holes(well... mostly open), Short tight holes where you can't afford to miss your line. Even the long holes seem to bring something into play other than raw distance before you are done. Double-doglegs, 90 Degree turns and incredible pin placements. You will be forced to use shots that you might not normally throw. This place will teach you that a layup isn't always a bad thing.

This is a true beauty and shows what challenging disc golf should be like.

6 new holes added bringing the total to 24. Most of them are reachable but each brings an elements of danger into play.

The layout offers all levels of play. Some holes have short & long tees, and many have varying levels of OB that can be used for tourney play or ignored in casual play changing the difficulty level considerably.
Cons: I have no true cons but there are a few things to remember:

Don't go looking for a quick round - It won't happen, this course takes time to play.

Don't get frustrated - this is not like the par 3 courses that most are used to. A 4 or 5 (or more) on many of these holes is not a bad thing - It's to be expected at times.
Other Thoughts: Everyone should try this course and look at the care put into it. For disc golf to move forward courses like this are needed to present a true challenge to the upper level players. For newer player - If you approach this course with an open mind it will do wonders for your game.

A must play for everyone

2-4    11/4/2008   11/5/2008
Review By: kyflash
Pros: This course is as eye pleaseing as it is challenging. You must hit your spots to score well here. The placements are structured to make you think beyond your tee shot.
Cons: The basket on 18 is a pretty decent way from where you park.
Other Thoughts: The prettiest course I have ever seen. Lots of planning and resources went into Idlewild. If you are ever near the N. Ky./Cincy area you owe it to yourself to find this course.

Toughest course ever!!!

2-4    4/25/2008   10/30/2008
Review By: jgentry
This review was updated on 2/4/2009
Pros: This is truely a great test of your disc golf ability. The course is well kept, has great teepads and signs. You need to throw every shot in your bag and several that you don't have. One of only 2 courses that I've played that the listing of par on the signs is actually acurrate. If it says you need 5 shots you will!!! Some of the toughest holes you will ever play with #13 being my favorite on the course. A must play for any one in the area.
Cons: I felt like there were several longer holes in the woods that I was just pitching a putter to a spot. Then you pitch the putter to the next spot. Then you do it again, then you try to make a putt. You can also get very frustrated if you are just a little bit off. You can make a really good throw and barely tick a tree and end up screwed. It's like this on any wooded course but idlewild magnifies this a 100%. There are also a couple holes that don't seem to have any real fairway like #16. You a just thowing trying to hit your first gap and hope to get luck after that (although #16 is a very cool hole). The only real issue is you have to cross one fairway to get to the next teepad. There is a sign warning to be careful, but this truely a bad design flaw.
Other Thoughts: Overall this is truely a great course. I should probably give it a 5 but it's just not my style of course and I don't think any course were you have to cross a farway to get to the next hole can be a 5. I prefer banklick but think both a truely great must play courses. 2 of the guys a play with think this is the best course ever though, so it's just a personal preference. Yes I'm a wuss and this course kicked my butt 2 days in a row.

Played over 20 times this year

5+    8/15/2008   10/14/2008
Review By: ruthemv
This review was updated on 6/17/2009
Pros: Anything and everything you want. No paying, not all that crowded. Groomed like a golf course. Hard as hell. Every hole is a possible to birdie (though some harder than others).
Cons: I wish on 1, 9 and 17 had the optional pin thats shown on the tee map.
Other Thoughts: My best score playing on all the tough tee boxes and right pars is plus 3, My brother, our buddy and I played a total of around 50 rounds together this summer and our average I would guess is around +8.
#1 Launch
#2 in the lake is where we lost the most discs.
#3 eagleable
#9 Easiest
#10 a beauty
#11 play it right no better feeling
# 12 2nd easiest
#13 Unless your a left I have to say is the most crazy tough add some strokes to your round triple bogey hole.
#14 Its never rained that hard while I was outside.
#15 An eagle, .02% chance my friend
#16 If you play outofbounds look out
#17 Might be the easiest par 4
#18 missed a gimmie for bird, wow, I've seen a great player shoot 11 on the hole.
If you shot under par let me know!

Anyone shot below par?

Disc golf nirvana

2-4    8/31/2008   9/2/2008
Review By: upfromtheashes
Pros: Many courses are constrained by the available topography. In so many cases, the available plot of land is either overwooded, or underwooded, or too small to give you the freedom to design some longer holes.

Idlewild isn't limited in any such way. It sits on a perfect site for a disc golf course. Wooded but not too wooded. Some open rolling hills. Doesn't feel cramped by plot size.

So right off the bat, Idlewild starts with many advantages that other courses lack. But that's only half of the equation.

The other half of the equation is the upkeep and maintenance. I can't say enough about this. It's the most manicured disc golf course I've ever played. Just top notch. Great signage, wonderful huge teepads that a sasquatch like me can appreciate. I really have to tip my cap to the people who keep this course up. They do the sport proud.
Cons: The only possible negative I could give this course is that it's difficulty could be such than newer players may find it frustrating.
Other Thoughts: I'd been playing disc golf for less than a year when I first played Idlewild. It was tough. "Too tough", according to my playing partner. Fast forward 3 years, and now he and I both have a bit more seasoning and some new shots in our arsenals. We played Idlewild for the second time last weekend. We both enjoyed it immensely. We'll definitely be making an annual trip from this point onward.

The more courses you play, the more you will appreciate what they have done at Idlewild. It is a special course.

The Grand-Daddy of Them All

5+    6/29/2008   8/29/2008
Review By: Andy Hlavac
Pros: This is one of the best courses in the world. It is very challenging and will punish mistakes. While the difficulty can be frustrating, it also forces you to improve your game. Also, your opponents will be facing the same challeneges so you can suffer together!

One of the coolest aspects of Idlewild is the "island" holes. Several of the holes have baskets strategically placed on penninsulas in the middle of an OB stream. Place your putts perfectly or pay!

Cons: Can't list anything here. Idlewild is God's playground.
Other Thoughts: Thank you to the Greater Cincinnati Flying Disc Association for this gem!

7/11/2008   8/3/2008
Review By: volleyballnick
Pros: Great course, challenging, well taken care of, good signs, beautiful scenery.
Cons: Some holes seem to be almost too hard in which a distinct fairway cannot even be found through the trees. One particular par three comes to mind. Also only one basket on some holes where two are listed on the sign.
Other Thoughts: Playing here was a lot of fun, but almost too much of a challenge on just a couple holes for anyone non-professional.

Good as it gets

7/1/2008   7/4/2008
Review By: Greg Boyer
Pros: Great mix of holes. Very well maintained. 1000 foot hole with landscaped green is sweet. Will definitely challenge anybody.
Cons: Not for beginners. Don't forget to bring huge bottle of water.
Other Thoughts: I came in hoping it would be worthy of the hype. It is and then some. Between this, Banklick, and Mt. Airy the Cincinnati area is THE best destination for a disc golf road trip.

1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16