Philadelphia, PA
Sedgley Woods Share
Uploaded By: Tolbert Hole #1
3 / 313ft.   3 / 281ft.   3 / 201ft.   3 / 281ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #1 Blue Tee

Good course with older charm

1    12/23/2012   12/26/2012
Review By: BobbyC13
Pros: The course is a lot of fun and the people who maintain it are very creative. It is a true disc golf atmosphere here with multiple practice baskets, a campfire at the course entry and places to sit down on ever hole. Even though it is a shorter course, it was indeed a fun layout and the locals were friendly, I am from GA. The park is not tough to get to and has several tee pads per hole. I believe there were 4. Good Rubber Mat teepads throughout.
Cons: I can't say a shorter course is a negative thing, but I did only tee off with something other then a Buzzz on one of the 27 holes. Not all the tee pads have tee signs and I found my self walking up a pad from the Gold tees to see where the hole was to be played. Several of the pads are right next to the previous holes basket and that was really odd and dangerous! The walk from 18 to hole 19 was not bad but the walk from 22 to 23 I believe was a random trail and it was muddy and wet as can. Some of the holes were just silly in my opinion, and some of the Gold tees just seemed to be squeezed in there with little regard for throwing lanes or fairness. The Red tees were solid as a played a few of those as well. The baskets of the first 18 holes were older and narrow.
Other Thoughts: This course was indeed a lot of fun and I did thoroughly enjoy myself. I aced hole 18 Gold and that was fantastic!!! I did like the challenge of the Gold tees but I'd recommend playing Blue or Red instead for your first time out. I'm a 901 rated player and shot a few under from Gold's on the full 27.

Nice course in the heart of Philly!

1    10/12/2012   10/15/2012
Review By: slvravn
Pros: - 27 holes makes fro a great round of disc golf.
- The back 9 really makes you feel like you are not in Philly and makes great use of the natural area.
- The front 18 is pretty short and makes for a nice uncomplicated round.
- Multiple tee boxes can really change the way the course is played.
- Love the benches scattered around the course and the marked putting area.
- Great parking for the course.
- Great community for DG in the area.
Cons: - Can be very crowded at times. Watch your throws and throws from surrounding holes.
- Hole signage needs to be updated and in some cases replaced. If this is your first time playing it can be hard to know where the baskets are.
- Some of the tee boxes are in need of repairs

Control Game

1    7/27/2012   8/10/2012
Review By: swatso
Pros:
Three nine-hole loops.

Three tee locations (blue, yellow, red; easiest-to-hardest) per hole.
Cons:
On the front eighteen, tees are often close to prior baskets, and some fairways being quite close to others.

On the back nine, higher chance of disc loss. Bit of a walk after 27 - past 20's tee, down 19's fairway.

Other Thoughts: The course, playing under and around the scattered trees and bushes of a public park not very far from downtown Philadelphia, definitely breaks into two distinct sections - the front-18, and the newer back-9.

Depending upon which tees you play, the holes on the front-18 will average ~225'-265' in length, while on the last-9, ~220'-300' are the ranges, so this course is definitely about control, not blasting away.

The holes on the front-18 hit you with the full array of control challenges - variable size windows, and their locations in the flightpath, subtle elevation changes, turns of various shape and severity. Numbers 13-14, with the thick amount of trees between the tee and basket, practically force you to go up-n-over the trees to have any chance for a deuce. Experienced player hitting their lines should have a plethora of birdy attempts, and even an initial miss will likely result in a par, as the holes are short, and being off-line means you're probably in a neighbouring fairway.

The back-9 offers a different type of challenge. Flightpaths are, for the most part, fairly straight, but the trees/shule forming the throwing lanes are thicker, so an errant initial throw will often be more difficult to recover from.

A really great course to work on your control game, but I'm not sure I'd want to play it when it was busy, unless I was wearing a helmet!

Sedgley Woods

1    3/12/2012   3/12/2012
Review By: JeCroisQue
Pros: - There's something to be said for having 27 holes of disc golf in Philly.
- Hard to lose a disc
- Atmosphere, It is always buzzing when the weather is near decent. I started playing alone, and by the 5th hole I had joined up with a couple of people and we played in a 4 some.
- Lots of options, 3 tee pads for each hole. each hole gives you a different line to hit so it tests your ability somewhat.
- If you want you can play the first 18 and not 19-27. I would actually suggest playing 19-27 if you don't want to play the full 18. It was less crowded when I went, a longer walk, but it was more challenging and more scenic at the same time.
- It's easily the best course within 30 miles of Philly... Maybe because it's the only course, but it is still nice regardless.
Cons: - Fairly short, I always like my courses to have one or two holes that you can open up and throw one hard, there wasn't that here. Each shot demanded finesse and line shaping (which isn't bad, but gets frustrating having to throw every other shot around a group of trees or over some bushes).
- There are a few challenging holes but for the most part everything should be a pretty routine 3 unless you grip lock one OB or clank and early tree.
- Absolutely packed, I went in February and there was a wait on every hole on the front 18 (but there are benches and seating all over the place). Not really for 19-27 when I went (will probably be different in the summer). One group actually let me play through which was nice.
-Sometimes there were guys just practice putting on the cages I was teeing off to but they just kinda stood there and watched as I threw and continued after I was done? never seen that before. Also I felt like I was going to hit someone with every shot. The holes are so tightly packed that tee boxes are close to each other and also awkwardly close to pins.
Other Thoughts: - I wouldn't bring your full tourney bag to this one. I did and dropped it off at the car after hole 9 (and played with 5 discs for the rest of it). It could easily be played with a mid or even a putter. I threw nothing faster than a teebird all day.
-A couple of homeless guys there (Not a con for me because I'm fairly used to it and it doesn't really bother me).
- Definitely a must play if your in the are, its a good course, very historic, and has good atmosphere, but I'd take my home course over this any day.

The Second Oldest Course

2-4    7/29/2010   7/29/2010
Review By: strain
This review was updated on 4/27/2011
Pros: I finally got to play this course all the way through for the first time. Every time I was in the Philly area, it was to cold to play. There are 27 holes of pure Disc Golf pleasure. There is a nice kiosk and a lost and found disc drop box near hole #1. There is also three practice baskets to warm up with before your round. The are three different tee positions to choose from blue, yellow, and red. The front eighteen is mostly wooded and short with very tight fairways and the outback is more open with some nice longer holes and a few dogleg left and right shots. The are a few chances of some Ace shots on a few holes on the front eighteen. The locals seem to be very friendly here and will help direct you around the course, even though there are maps available at the kiosk. There are rubber fly tee pads on most holes which has decent grip and the baskets are in good shape. They have weekly events throughout the year here if you want to get in on the tag leagues.
Cons: I heard it can get really packed throughout the week so it is best to play early if you can because it can get really crowded. The navigation of the course can be a little tricky, so watch your signs as they will direct you to the next tee. The outback does not have any tee signs so watch for the hole numbers that are placed on some trees. Some holes don't have flypads and are just regular dirt tees. There should be some more trash cans throughout the course. I only seen a few at the beginning of the course.
Other Thoughts: Some of the holes on the front eighteen are really short because the course was designed for the regular frisbees. this is supposed to be one of the first disc golf courses ever installed on the Eastcoast and has a unique feeling when playing here, If you are in the Philly area, you should try to make some time to stop by and check it out. You should not be dissapointed.

A Different DG Experience

1    3/11/2010   3/12/2010
Review By: bcr123psu
Pros: Having a course (the only course) so close to Center City is a big plus. Philly traffic is usually a CF, but getting to Sedgley Woods is actually very easy and straight-forward. Despite the urban location, the course is tucked into Fairmount Park and is a green gem in a concrete jungle. Although there are plenty of trees and other vegetation, there is little to no undergrowth on the course itself. This makes an already small course seem much bigger.

Without a doubt, the local players keep this course relevant. Examples include the fact that the course was very clean with little litter, a lost disc drop box, a well-maintained course, and baskets that are in great shape. I believe that none of which would be possible without the folks that play Sedgley Woods frequently. Further, each group I encountered was extremely chill and friendly. This includes Kwick, one of the Sedgley Woods course guides, who did a great job of providing a background on the course and the local DG scene.

Three different tee pads (most of which are also in great shape, BTW) allow for a variety of different course layouts and levels of difficulty. Surprisingly, there are several different holes that have interesting elevation changes.

Overall, the signs were complete and helpful. For those that were visible, each tee was clearly indicated as was the distance, basket, and next tee.

Oh, and did I mention 27 holes? Yeah, a 27-hole course in a city setting. Holes 19-27 are newer, have a slightly different feel, and are a bit longer than the original 18.

Throughout the entire course there were several technically challenging holes that pushed drive/approach placement.

Despite a 27-hole layout, the course plays very very quickly. If I recall correctly, the first 27-hole round took around 75 minutes with two players.

Two practice baskets make warming up easy by allowing players to putt between the two.
Cons: This course was originally designed and installed well over 30 years ago. When you read most of my cons take into consideration the fact that there has been a lot of change in the past 3 decades.

Most of the holes (at least in the shortest position) were very short and birdie-worthy. But before I can completely slam the hole lengths, I remind myself that certain discs that were considered to be distance drivers 5-10 years ago have scaled down to fairway drivers and numerous are now considered to be mid-ranges. The short layout of the holes isn't a function of poor design, but of the technology that was available at the time the course was originally installed.

Although much criticism for the course length can be discounted, I do have some concerns with the way in which some holes are laid out on top of other holes. I frequently found myself on my toes looking around to see whether discs were flying in my direction or to make sure that I don't drill someone else on a nearby hole. I can see some potential safety issues with how the holes bleed into each other.

Without a guide, and despite the signs at most tees, it might be easy to get turned around. It could be easy to drive or putt toward the wrong basket.

While being the one and only course in Philly is a bonus for the Philly folks, in good weather I can see this course getting fairly crowded.
Other Thoughts: I've dinged other courses for short holes and layout issues, but, in general, Sedgley Woods gets a pass on these issues because of the pioneering spirit that went into the original course creation over 30 years ago.

I enjoyed the course because it focuses on the shorter portions of the game (as opposed to just uncorking discs) and forces you to fine tune the approach aspects that are crucial to all courses.

I will play this course again. If you're in the Philly area, I'd recommend giving Sedgley Woods a try and get a taste of early disc golf history.

My local course

5+    11/3/2007   11/12/2007
Review By: Godard
This review was updated on 9/7/2008
Pros: Short lengths perfect for beginners. Many elevation changes, obstacles, left & right doglegs. Hardy locals are always a good time.
Cons: Poor teebox conditions. Crowded. Signage is rarely accurate, and there is no signage for the 3rd 9 (play with a guide).

27 Mach 3 baskets

1    3/3/2009   8/28/2007
Review By: discNDav
This review was updated on 4/4/2012
Pros: 27 holels...lots of league play on Thurs, Sat & Sunday...discs for sale usually during these times...friendly local golfers...historic old course..plenty of league competition can be found here...mostly shaded in the hot summer times...being the 1st course on the east course it is historic like the rest of Philadelphia...scorecards with a map generally available at the kiosk
Cons: crowded course since it is the only one in the Philly proper...short course...lots of trees...outback 19-27 has no tee signs yet, but directional arrows pointing you along the right way.

Other Thoughts: just minutes from the Philly Art Museum...if just visiting, drop the family off and come play disc golf.