Philadelphia, PA
Hole #14 Blue Tee

Freedom of '76

1    8/18/2014   9/7/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Sedgley Woods is one of the earliest models of the true spirit of disc golf, much as Philadelphia is linked to the conceptualization and birth of our free nation. I visited on a marvelous Monday, arriving just after noon. I met a local, Dr. Dave, and he showed me around, and shared some history and other insights about the course. I will say now I only played the first 9 holes, and the last 9 holes, unfortunately skipping 10-18. I did play 18 holes and thought what I did see was pretty special. I could picture our disc golf fore-fathers chucking lids here over 3 decades ago. Head bands, sideburns, short shorts. Must have been a sight to see. The first 9 was fun, but my putts weren't going. I could see coming out here with one disc and being -6 after 9 holes. Bogey on number 2, the longest distance of the first 9. Really liked the downhill run at hole 4 and the bench following if you should need a defensive T.O. Five was uphill, and the basket was perched on a fallen tree, in a very cool and funky manner. I two putted every hole, except managing to birdie hole 6. 7 gave me a look after a nice drive, but I missed and took par again. 8 and 9 are both moderately wooded, but still very reachable. Shooting even after 9, could do far better, but having fun all the same. The final 9 holes were tougher, with thicker rough, and had some cool nicknames. I was +1 to par on this portion of the course. 19 is a cool hole where you tee from a cobblestone path, and the basket is up a hill, meeting the ridge running along the left side of the trail. I slipped and wound up throwing out of bounds, onto a golf driving range across the fence at the top of that ridge. Retrieved my disc, and saved my bogey there, after penalizing myself for the bad drive. 20 is known as "the blender". I took a bogey after a tree knocked down my drive, about half of the distance of the fairway. There is a cool graffiti covered ruins in sight on the walk between holes around this point. I got one back with a birdie on 21, a short downhill hole. 23 is called "Lefty's hole", in memory of a local who tragically died in an accident several years ago. It isn't hard to see why a southpaw would like it, another down hill hole, bending to the right. 24 is called "the Anthill" due to the basket location at the summit of a sizable mound of dirt. At this point there is another bench, giving a nice vantage point across the river into the rest of West Philly. 25 from the long tee was reputed to be "the mini-blender", driving through a tight, bushy corridor to the basket. 27 is another rare hole of over 400 feet to finish the course.

I wish I would've seen the middle nine, but with 27 holes with multiple tees and pin positions, great history, and a fairly nice clean park, there is a lot of upside here. There are benches, trash cans and recycling bins nears the parking area. The local crowd I met were all friendly.
Cons: I didn't experience large crowds, but several other groups were on the course as well. I can see how crowding and slow pace may be an issue. Also, some holes are adjacent to others, so be alert to other players throwing nearby. The par is 3 on every hole, and it is not a technical or difficult course.
Other Thoughts: I almost passed up Sedgley Woods, but I am glad I stopped to see an East coast original. Wish I had played more than 18 holes, but saw enough to get a good feel for it. I expect the middle 9 play more like the first than the last. Will likely return to finish this one out and further explore the area in the future. The 3.5 rating seems lower than I felt it deserves, but with numerous other reviews, I trust some others would have a far more complete view of this one. Steady Ed, well done sir.

Great all around course

5+    9/10/2012   9/17/2012
Review By: vwjettaglivr6
Pros: Being that it's a full legit 27 holes, it provides a great opportunity for a plethora of types to play. Lunch break, swing by and play the back 9; Day trip, play the whole 27. Not too many trees compared to other courses.
Cons: Could use some love to the tees and signs considering how popular the course seems to be.

Home base

5+    8/10/2012   8/21/2012
Review By: iHitTree
This review was updated on 3/30/2013
Pros: I love that it is a unique open woods course although some could maybe argue that it is open enough with trees tall enough to be considered a blended woods/field course. 27 free holes is always a big plus. There are opportunities for various throws/lines that you wish to (or have to) use, with a few chances to air some out, but many shots you'll probably use a middy or fairway driver on, except a few big hyzer shots for line shaping. For a par 3 course, this is a moderately difficult to shoot under par, which I like. "Outback" has some crafty challenging holes tracing a protected field with a crumbling house seemingly from colonial times. Hole #25, which I refer to as "The Mound" because of the basket on top of the largest looking anthill in the world, has an incredible view of Kelly Drive and the Schuylkill River, one of the best views in mid-Atlantic disc golf in my opinion. The Disc Alien lost and found is a fun, creative idea. Hole #20 from yellow/red tee has one of the thinnest most insane initial gaps that can turn your par 3 into a double bogey if you tree it--love it! Hole #13 from hilltop to hilltop over a woods valley is a great hole and a great memory for me (I hit the post and taunted my younger brother to beat that and he aced it, but he sadly passed away this spring but I will always thank hole #13 for that memory). Hole #2 is a thin fairway with a late bootleg uphill into the woods, making it a beautiful and difficult par 3. Hole #12 is also a super thin and long hole that requires a perfect second shot to par. Friendly people hanging around and selling discs and beverages. So many "chill" benches around the course. I can't say enough positive about this place.
Cons: This course is the only course in the city of Philadelphia, so it can get crowded and because it has shorter holes on 1-18, it attracts inexperienced groups that can slow you up, but most people on the course understand the etiquette of allowing smaller and/or more experiences players to play through. It is also about time for a tee sign update. The tee signs really need to be improved and consistent. That is about it for the minuses. Baskets very close to subsequent tee pads so be careful--get your vocal cords ready for "FORE!"
Other Thoughts: Pretty much the OG'est of courses! Pretty sure this was the 2nd course ever in the world. This course is one of the first I ever played. I started playing in 2002, and I was a Drexel student right around the corner from 2004-2008 so this has been one of my 3 home courses (Brandywine in DE and Nixon in Kennett Square are the other 2).

Classic Disc Golf

5+    3/17/2012   3/17/2012
Review By: Disc Fiend
This review was updated on 4/21/2012
Pros: There are 27 holes and 3 sets of tees at each hole so you can play the holes differently each time. Nice Flypad Tee Pads at the longer tees. Good mixture of short and long holes, The back nine can be really challenging, which is a good thing in my book. There is a really cool scene at this course which makes it a lot of fun to be there
Cons: Sometimes the tee to the next hole is close to the basket for the hole before it, and some of the holes are right next to each other so occasionally there are distractions and stray throws coming your way, but other then that, this course is great. People complain that the holes are short, but the reason it is like that is because the first 18 remain relatively unchanged from 1977 when this course was made. This course is one of the oldest courses in America, and was put in when people played disc golf only with a Wham-O Frisbee. If you play the red tees it makes the course more challenging.
Other Thoughts: If you want to play disc golf in Philly and have an awesome time check Sedgley out

classic

5+    7/4/2011   7/6/2011
Review By: krauset2
Pros: great scene and atmosphere, beautiful course, lots of shot variety, well-maintained, great use of the available space, nice people, lots of benches and break areas on the course
Cons: gets a bit crowded on weekends, easy to lose a disc, some teepads are breaking down,
Other Thoughts: sedgley is a great place for a casual round with friends or for a serious game.

you will need every shot in your bag due to the awesome variety of holes. the front 18 are straight-up fun. the back 9 offer an additional challenge and completely make you forget you are in philly.

anyone i have encountered on and around the course has been friendly. as a new player, this is a great place to learn and appreciate the game.

Soggy Augie and his Soggy socks

5+    3/20/2011   3/24/2011
Review By: StringPeachIncident
Pros: *27 holes
*Great variation and creativity
*Friendly locals sellin discs
*Its a classic, the second oldest, Built in 1977 and rivals if not trumps Morley Field
*Good vibes, sick shots and multiple tee spots
*A great place to spend the whole day grillin, discin and relaxin
Cons: *Alot of people, but its ok cuz you can always hop on the back 9
*Wouldnt mid seeing some more mound holes
*That i dont live closer to Fairmount Park
Other Thoughts: The back 9 is a lot of fun and alot more empty in comparisson to the open field starting on hole #1. Despite the occasional back up on the tees this course manages to use elevation, trees and other obstacles that most popel would be suprised to find in Philly. Deff a better course than Tyler State Park and alot more clever, classic course designing. You cant beat a classic! I played it for a week straight every day while visitng my friend, so i think that says something.

Home Sweet Home

5+    10/21/2010   10/22/2010
Review By: Djmutiny
Pros: Where do I start? This is my home course. I play an average of WAY too many rounds here a week (10+.) What this course lacks in legth, it makes up for in character (and characters.) With 3 tee positions on almost every hole, you really can play almost any layout you like and with any skill level. The front 18 were installed in 1977 and remain largely unchanged. 19-27 were installed in 2005 or so and are definitely more challenging. The course club, FSW, and volunteers do ALL of the maintenance at the course. Almost all improvements are paid for out of money generated by tag sales and disc sales proceeds. I have never played anywhere else that has even close to the camraderie of this course and these golfers. It should be a must play for anyone who is able. I recommend Thursday doubles as a great way to see what this course and these golfers are all about.
Cons: Short, but a result of a design when wham-o was the primary disc manufacturer.

Crowded - Philly needs another course!
Other Thoughts: There is a new long teepad on 22! Hopefully we'll be putting in new long pads on 23 and 24 soon!

A living legend!!

5+    9/9/2010   9/19/2010
Review By: soft focus
Pros: Ahhhh Sedgley.. A pro in itself... the best disc golf scene anywhere hands down. You could show up there at 8 in the morning on a Tuesday in February and there will be someone playing. 3 tag rounds each week with doubles following. The Course is maintained by the locals with money raised by selling discs. The second course in the country. 27 holes with the back back 9 being tough for anyone from the red tees. 3 tees on each hole so the "short" story doesnt have to be a true story. the front 18 are more finesse shots than power shots...all par 3's but the 2's are nice. Sedgley is a great course in the city that feels like you've left the city. If your close to the city you have to stop by and play it. the back back 9 are a little tougher to follow than the front 18 but well worth the extra steps.

Cons: older course with shorter finesse shots through the front.. gets crowded..long walk between 24 and 25.
thats it. i love this place.
Other Thoughts: Sedgley is a unique place with an amazing group of players that are friendly and extremely competitive.
always a money game if your a player for that type of thing. you cant beat the atmosphere here.....top notch!!

Sedgley

1    5/22/2010   5/23/2010
Review By: Doctor Whoov
Pros: This is my favorite type of course. Lots of up and down but not rediculously long. There are quite a few aceable holes here. It was pouring rain but there is plenty of tree cover so it doesn't get too bad. Did sit in the car a bit between the front and back nine. We didn't get to play the back back nine so next time there will still be some new turns.
Cons: A tight, crowded course. If you have a big arm and can't turn it down then you will have problems overthrowing the pin.
Other Thoughts: As far as the previous comment about the rudeness of the local players, I didn't see that. They were playing tags when we got there and were nothing but helpful. Guy selling discs too in case your bag feels a little light.
What else can be said about Sedgely Woods. It's one of the first courses that there was. Go play a piece of history!

Slice of History

5+    9/20/2009   10/23/2009
Review By: Shannon Winn
Pros: Sedgley...what can be said about this place that hasn't already been said dozens of times. I used to drive 50+ miles nearly every day to play it back in the early 80's.
The locals are the best anywhere. They love their course, and keep it maintained beautifully, especially considering where it is. Back in the day, it was quite common to find the place littered with crack vials, hypodermic syringes, live ammo, dead dogs, and on at least one occasion a crashed car. Part of it's charm, really.
Those days are gone--the place is, if not immaculate, darn close. Gone are the prostitutes who used to stroll up and down the sidewalk abutting holes 1 & 2, some of whom weighed as much as a small car. The place is pretty safe.
The course itself is fun, varied, and can be had if your game is on. Local knowledge is a huge plus. You don't need a huge arm to score, and most holes are not too tight, after you've played a few rounds. The place grows on you, and you need multiple rounds here to really get the feel. I once played 12 rounds in a day, but the course was shorter back then, and I was much younger.
I believe every disc golfer should make at least one pilgrimage to this holy place, if for no other reason than to pay homage to a course that has stood the test of time proudly, despite monumental hardships.
Cons: Lock your car. It's still a rough neighborhood. Some of the holes are close together, but it's not the big deal others seem to think it is. Just be aware.
Unfortunately, the most beautiful hole there, #13, has been allowed to become overgrown, turning what used to be one of the most classic ace runs in the world into a huck-and-pray. Ten minutes with a chain saw could return this hole to its former glory.
Wear socks you don't care about. Fine black dirt will work its way through your shoes- I think its car exhaust residue.
Other Thoughts: I love Sedgley. I will always love it. Give it a shot and you will too.