Philadelphia, PA

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Very Cool Inner City Course

1    10/16/2016   10/17/2016
Review By: will1442
Pros: 27 holes, inner city play, seems to be a nice community of locals that play there. I played this course with 2 of my friends yesterday and we all had a lot of fun. There are no very long holes, its more of a tight and technical course that will have you pulling every shot you can think of out of the bag. There are some very cool holes but there are also some very forgettable holes. We came at 10AM on a Sunday and the locals were already setting up a bbq and tv to watch the Eagles game. We thought this was awesome and if we didn't already have plans we most likely would have stayed. My friends and I agreed that we actually like holes 19-27 the most, this may bc we weren't as worried about being hit by an arrant disc though. Either way this is a very cool course.
Cons: The course has so many holes that are right on top of each other to the point that almost every hole you are making sure you aren't throwing into anyone or having someone throwing into you. Hole number 13 in particular is a blind downhill shot where the next tee box is literally 10ft away from the basket (this is the case for many holes but this one in particular stuck out). A disc came about 2 feet away from knocking me the hell out. While mostly every hole on the course is on top of another we found that we could always see if there were people that we may be throwing into or throwing into us. Minus that one hole.. Jesus throwing from yellow on 14 is scary.
Other Thoughts: Great short technical course. Can be a bit scary at times. Could have better signage, we did manage to get a bit lost a couple times.

challenging course for beginners

1    7/20/2016   7/20/2016
Review By: spencervh
Pros: need to mention that this was the first place I ever played. I thought it was a good introduction to the game, with some straight-forward holes and others that needed explanation on how to get to the basket. the foliage makes for a challenging and fun obstacle on almost every hole.
Cons: difficult for beginners, distance-wise and obstruction-wise.
tees are decently maintained but signage and park are overall coated in garbage.
Other Thoughts: a good course that motivates me to get better. the drive distances are hard for someone new to the game and i spent a few holes looking for my disc in the brush but I think this course is great, especially for being in such an urban area.

2-4    6/26/2016   6/29/2016
Review By: templink
Pros: Free parking, free to play. Easy enough to navigate. I felt challenged on many holes to thread a small gap, make a sharp turn, shoot blind, avoid trees, etc. I felt there were no gimmies, even on the shortest holes. There seems to be a big group of locals who play here weekly.
Cons: Some fairways are adjacent. Crossfire happens. No water in play. No signature hole.
Other Thoughts: As the name implies, it is a "woods" course. Despite this, I wish there were a couple of wide open, grip and rip holes just for fun.

Great City Course

1    4/25/2016   4/26/2016
Review By: TBabb
Pros: Sedgley Woods Disc Golf is located within Philadelphia's fabulous Fairmount Park. It's been around since the late 70's adding to Philadelphia's rich history. 27 holes snake through a moderately wooded grounds. Baskets seem like they've been around for a while but they're still in good condition. The tees are a mixture of concrete, flypads, and natural tees but all are in good condition. There are three tees on every hole; the short tees make for a nice par three recreational course and the longer ones mostly add a few extra feet and maybe a less forgiving window to the fairway. One can find free parking at the course which is noteworthy for a city where parking is hard to find. Furthermore, if you're from out of town and driving in Philly, the course is pretty easy to get to without having to do too many crazy Philly traffic maneuvers (unless you get lost). There is a nice mixture of shots. The grounds are kept very nicely, fairways are well-defined, very little overgrowth, and very little litter. There are port-a-potties in the parking area and a large bulletin board at the head of the course with information about nearby courses, regular events and tournaments, and an "alien" to feed lost discs to (presumably, there is a system for those lost discs to find their owners too). The front 9 and middle 9 loop around to the head of the course in case anyone needs to scoot out early. I found the locals to be friendly and helpful.
Cons: Most holes are very short. Even the long tees have few holes over 300 feet. I rarely threw a driver for the whole round. The course design is just a little too tight. Fairways play really close to one another and I'm sure that an errant shot could interfere with another round on crowded days. The course is so compressed that I actually caught myself throwing at the wrong basket on more than one occasion. On nice weekends I imagine the course can get incredibly crowded. I played at 10am on a Monday morning so I had a pleasant round with only a few other groups playing around me, but I'm sure that a crowded day can make for a long round. While still a challenging course, most holes are rather forgettable and there isn't much of anything that would qualify as a signature hole. The back 9 ends far away from the parking lot and it's a little tough to find one's way back. More signage on the back 9 would be nice and there's a big meadow on the back 9 that would make for some nice longer shots that isn't utilized. Maps on tee signs (when they're present) aren't particularly helpful and some have fallen victim to vandalism making them useless.
Other Thoughts: This course is a great course for recreational players to work on their control, short game, and get-out-of-trouble shots. There seems to be a really nice community of players here and courses right in the middle of a major city like this one are few and far between. Players used to playing suburban/country courses with more room may find this underwhelming, but it's definitely worth seeking out. If you're visiting Philly, I'd suggest playing your first round here on an off peak time of day, maybe when it's a little overcast or cool even. You'll avoid the crowds and enjoy a wonderful little course with a wonderful city to the east of you. Pick up a few deuces and find a cheese steak after to replenish your caloric deficit (and then some)!

Just aweful

2-4    6/8/2015   6/8/2015
Review By: lynxonyx
Pros: Only course in Philadelphia
Cons: Very short, tons of people on top of you all the time, holes are not spread out, and the tee boxes often intersect other holes, or even the tee boxes of other holes... really frustrating.
Other Thoughts: I would recommend avoiding this course if at all possible, it is by far the worst I've ever played. They should maybe remove 9 of the 27 holes and make a real 18 hole course that is the proper distance (they are all mostly short par 3s that are under 200 feet) with the holes not on top of eachother.

Sedgley Woods

2-4    2/7/2015   2/7/2015
Review By: Afropirg
Pros: Multiple tee boxes. Short technical holes. Lots of fun. Well worth the 50 minute drive from the Lehigh Valley. Easy to navigate. Relatively easy to find the course, not far from the highway.
Cons: Can get very crowded. Holes are very close to each other. High chance of hitting or being hit if your not paying attention.
Other Thoughts: I can't believe I lived in Philly for over 30 years and never heard of Sedgley. Really fun course to play. My friend and I played 1-18 and quickly went back and played 1-27. 45 holes with multiple shots the second time around in less than 2 hours. I've heard it gets crowded we went early to beat the crowded.

If you play from the blue tee's, you can play most if not all of this course with mid's and putters.

Most of the tee signs where pretty good with the exception of one or two being worn out or covered with graffiti. At some point it gets a little confusing with which way to go with multiple tee boxes being so close to each other. There is also times when you can end up landing in the fairway of another hole. On my second round I had a drive on hole 5 i think and the disc faded a little to much and I ended up in the fairway of hole 2. I can see how this can become an issue when it gets crowded. There is also times when the basket to one hole is very close to the tee on another.

With the location of the course being in the city near the zoo....I was expecting it to be riddled with trash. I was pleasantly surprised at how clean 1-18 was...19-27 has some spots that had some trash but nothing that was overwhelmingly bad. There is also a spot that has a bench that looks over the river.

If you're skipping this course because of the location then you're really missing out. This is one of my favorite courses.

Freedom of '76

1    8/18/2014   9/7/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Sedgley Woods is one of the earliest models of the true spirit of disc golf, much as Philadelphia is linked to the conceptualization and birth of our free nation. I visited on a marvelous Monday, arriving just after noon. I met a local, Dr. Dave, and he showed me around, and shared some history and other insights about the course. I will say now I only played the first 9 holes, and the last 9 holes, unfortunately skipping 10-18. I did play 18 holes and thought what I did see was pretty special. I could picture our disc golf fore-fathers chucking lids here over 3 decades ago. Head bands, sideburns, short shorts. Must have been a sight to see. The first 9 was fun, but my putts weren't going. I could see coming out here with one disc and being -6 after 9 holes. Bogey on number 2, the longest distance of the first 9. Really liked the downhill run at hole 4 and the bench following if you should need a defensive T.O. Five was uphill, and the basket was perched on a fallen tree, in a very cool and funky manner. I two putted every hole, except managing to birdie hole 6. 7 gave me a look after a nice drive, but I missed and took par again. 8 and 9 are both moderately wooded, but still very reachable. Shooting even after 9, could do far better, but having fun all the same. The final 9 holes were tougher, with thicker rough, and had some cool nicknames. I was +1 to par on this portion of the course. 19 is a cool hole where you tee from a cobblestone path, and the basket is up a hill, meeting the ridge running along the left side of the trail. I slipped and wound up throwing out of bounds, onto a golf driving range across the fence at the top of that ridge. Retrieved my disc, and saved my bogey there, after penalizing myself for the bad drive. 20 is known as "the blender". I took a bogey after a tree knocked down my drive, about half of the distance of the fairway. There is a cool graffiti covered ruins in sight on the walk between holes around this point. I got one back with a birdie on 21, a short downhill hole. 23 is called "Lefty's hole", in memory of a local who tragically died in an accident several years ago. It isn't hard to see why a southpaw would like it, another down hill hole, bending to the right. 24 is called "the Anthill" due to the basket location at the summit of a sizable mound of dirt. At this point there is another bench, giving a nice vantage point across the river into the rest of West Philly. 25 from the long tee was reputed to be "the mini-blender", driving through a tight, bushy corridor to the basket. 27 is another rare hole of over 400 feet to finish the course.

I wish I would've seen the middle nine, but with 27 holes with multiple tees and pin positions, great history, and a fairly nice clean park, there is a lot of upside here. There are benches, trash cans and recycling bins nears the parking area. The local crowd I met were all friendly.
Cons: I didn't experience large crowds, but several other groups were on the course as well. I can see how crowding and slow pace may be an issue. Also, some holes are adjacent to others, so be alert to other players throwing nearby. The par is 3 on every hole, and it is not a technical or difficult course.
Other Thoughts: I almost passed up Sedgley Woods, but I am glad I stopped to see an East coast original. Wish I had played more than 18 holes, but saw enough to get a good feel for it. I expect the middle 9 play more like the first than the last. Will likely return to finish this one out and further explore the area in the future. The 3.5 rating seems lower than I felt it deserves, but with numerous other reviews, I trust some others would have a far more complete view of this one. Steady Ed, well done sir.

1    5/12/2014   6/17/2014
Review By: PhillyPhan69
Pros: The regulars were very friendly and helpful in getting us started
Signs were done adequately to help newbies to the course
Tee pads were easy to find
nice use of elevation and using the natural habitat of the park
Park/course fairly simple to navigate
Cons: CROWDED-people on every hole (wait for the tee, and people waiting on you)
tight hole lay out- discs fly from multiple directions as holes are very close together
Other Thoughts: A nice enough park as my son had a school trip to Philly- we decided to hit this on the way back..well worth the time to check out, but I wouldn't plan a trip just to hit here.

1    8/24/2013   8/25/2013
Review By: roadtrip
Pros: Variety of shots. 27 holes (3 separate 9-hole loops that all play back to the parking lot). 3 tees on each hole. Lots of right/left/straight, some up/down shots. A lot of lines to carve through. Club events will mix 1-9 longs then 19-27 medium (as an example - they mix lots of configurations) so each round is varied.

Maintained well. Club seems very active and creative. Tee pads aren't concrete and tee signs don't really help with the blind shots, but there are well-marked signs to each tee, which is greatly helpful. Elevated boards/steps above mud spots. Not much debris/trash on the course despite how crowded this city park area is.
Supposedly they have glow rounds.

Vibe - it looks super shady once you pull off the highway. It looks even shadier when you pull into the park. But all the people I chatted with were private-course friendly, open, inviting, sharing. Lots of folks really appreciated the disc golf oasis, biking distance from downtown. There were open fields and benches overlooking trees and the river. You could hear the city around you but you're totally shielded under thick forest canopy. Pretty cool lost-disc-return on site.
Cons: Crowded. Fairways don't criss cross but they run very close to each other. You need to be prepared for discs coming at you anytime from any direction. It wasn't a problem at all, it's just something you'll need to consider. Obviously - also make sure no one is in your disc's path. It's not just letting the lead group clear the hole, sometimes they have to clear the next tee pad too before you can throw.

Lost disc potential. Tall grass and thick brush (admittedly - the only time I've played is during a rainy summer - locals told me it clears out a lot in the winter).

Variety - it's almost all tight lines. Several aceable holes but plenty of unnatural lines along the way. This is one of those courses for the threads about - redesigning the 27-holes as an 18-hole course with a few long, open shots along the way could make it a championship caliber course (however, if I lived here, I'd likely prefer the clustered 27 so I can play a different 18 configuration just about every day)
Other Thoughts: This was a unique park to me. I don't usually think of Philly as the friendliest, most outdoorsy town. But this course had all of that. The disc golf reminded me of a lot of other 2.5-3.5 courses, but it fits this locale perfectly.

I had trouble linking this site to GPS but the narrative directions were perfect. Especially the warning about local trafic. Grab water before you come - no gas station off the I-76 exit. Fair amount of bugs.

I wouldn't recommend traveling to Philly just for this course, but if you were there already I'd highly recommend one of the weekly club events.

Sedgley Woods

5+    7/6/2013   7/16/2013
Review By: crispy13fsw
Pros: 27 Historic Holes of Disc Golf. The original 18 are for beginners, while the "outback" nine will test even the best game. 99% of the people are very friendly. I learned my disc golf game here and the course will teach you to be technically sound.

Weekly tags rounds with a lot of membership support. FSW proudly boasts over 200 active members.
Cons: It is a tight course on the front 18. Hearing "FORE" a lot is not un-common. The course is always a work in progress. New tee pads and new signs are going in. If more people packed out what they packed in, the litter would disappear, but since it is in the middle of Philly, good luck with that.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5