Philadelphia, PA

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Freedom of '76

1    8/18/2014   9/7/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Sedgley Woods is one of the earliest models of the true spirit of disc golf, much as Philadelphia is linked to the conceptualization and birth of our free nation. I visited on a marvelous Monday, arriving just after noon. I met a local, Dr. Dave, and he showed me around, and shared some history and other insights about the course. I will say now I only played the first 9 holes, and the last 9 holes, unfortunately skipping 10-18. I did play 18 holes and thought what I did see was pretty special. I could picture our disc golf fore-fathers chucking lids here over 3 decades ago. Head bands, sideburns, short shorts. Must have been a sight to see. The first 9 was fun, but my putts weren't going. I could see coming out here with one disc and being -6 after 9 holes. Bogey on number 2, the longest distance of the first 9. Really liked the downhill run at hole 4 and the bench following if you should need a defensive T.O. Five was uphill, and the basket was perched on a fallen tree, in a very cool and funky manner. I two putted every hole, except managing to birdie hole 6. 7 gave me a look after a nice drive, but I missed and took par again. 8 and 9 are both moderately wooded, but still very reachable. Shooting even after 9, could do far better, but having fun all the same. The final 9 holes were tougher, with thicker rough, and had some cool nicknames. I was +1 to par on this portion of the course. 19 is a cool hole where you tee from a cobblestone path, and the basket is up a hill, meeting the ridge running along the left side of the trail. I slipped and wound up throwing out of bounds, onto a golf driving range across the fence at the top of that ridge. Retrieved my disc, and saved my bogey there, after penalizing myself for the bad drive. 20 is known as "the blender". I took a bogey after a tree knocked down my drive, about half of the distance of the fairway. There is a cool graffiti covered ruins in sight on the walk between holes around this point. I got one back with a birdie on 21, a short downhill hole. 23 is called "Lefty's hole", in memory of a local who tragically died in an accident several years ago. It isn't hard to see why a southpaw would like it, another down hill hole, bending to the right. 24 is called "the Anthill" due to the basket location at the summit of a sizable mound of dirt. At this point there is another bench, giving a nice vantage point across the river into the rest of West Philly. 25 from the long tee was reputed to be "the mini-blender", driving through a tight, bushy corridor to the basket. 27 is another rare hole of over 400 feet to finish the course.

I wish I would've seen the middle nine, but with 27 holes with multiple tees and pin positions, great history, and a fairly nice clean park, there is a lot of upside here. There are benches, trash cans and recycling bins nears the parking area. The local crowd I met were all friendly.
Cons: I didn't experience large crowds, but several other groups were on the course as well. I can see how crowding and slow pace may be an issue. Also, some holes are adjacent to others, so be alert to other players throwing nearby. The par is 3 on every hole, and it is not a technical or difficult course.
Other Thoughts: I almost passed up Sedgley Woods, but I am glad I stopped to see an East coast original. Wish I had played more than 18 holes, but saw enough to get a good feel for it. I expect the middle 9 play more like the first than the last. Will likely return to finish this one out and further explore the area in the future. The 3.5 rating seems lower than I felt it deserves, but with numerous other reviews, I trust some others would have a far more complete view of this one. Steady Ed, well done sir.

OK

1    5/12/2014   6/17/2014
Review By: PhillyPhan69
Pros: The regulars were very friendly and helpful in getting us started
Signs were done adequately to help newbies to the course
Tee pads were easy to find
nice use of elevation and using the natural habitat of the park
Park/course fairly simple to navigate
Cons: CROWDED-people on every hole (wait for the tee, and people waiting on you)
tight hole lay out- discs fly from multiple directions as holes are very close together
Other Thoughts: A nice enough park as my son had a school trip to Philly- we decided to hit this on the way back..well worth the time to check out, but I wouldn't plan a trip just to hit here.

1    8/24/2013   8/25/2013
Review By: roadtrip
Pros: Variety of shots. 27 holes (3 separate 9-hole loops that all play back to the parking lot). 3 tees on each hole. Lots of right/left/straight, some up/down shots. A lot of lines to carve through. Club events will mix 1-9 longs then 19-27 medium (as an example - they mix lots of configurations) so each round is varied.

Maintained well. Club seems very active and creative. Tee pads aren't concrete and tee signs don't really help with the blind shots, but there are well-marked signs to each tee, which is greatly helpful. Elevated boards/steps above mud spots. Not much debris/trash on the course despite how crowded this city park area is.
Supposedly they have glow rounds.

Vibe - it looks super shady once you pull off the highway. It looks even shadier when you pull into the park. But all the people I chatted with were private-course friendly, open, inviting, sharing. Lots of folks really appreciated the disc golf oasis, biking distance from downtown. There were open fields and benches overlooking trees and the river. You could hear the city around you but you're totally shielded under thick forest canopy. Pretty cool lost-disc-return on site.
Cons: Crowded. Fairways don't criss cross but they run very close to each other. You need to be prepared for discs coming at you anytime from any direction. It wasn't a problem at all, it's just something you'll need to consider. Obviously - also make sure no one is in your disc's path. It's not just letting the lead group clear the hole, sometimes they have to clear the next tee pad too before you can throw.

Lost disc potential. Tall grass and thick brush (admittedly - the only time I've played is during a rainy summer - locals told me it clears out a lot in the winter).

Variety - it's almost all tight lines. Several aceable holes but plenty of unnatural lines along the way. This is one of those courses for the threads about - redesigning the 27-holes as an 18-hole course with a few long, open shots along the way could make it a championship caliber course (however, if I lived here, I'd likely prefer the clustered 27 so I can play a different 18 configuration just about every day)
Other Thoughts: This was a unique park to me. I don't usually think of Philly as the friendliest, most outdoorsy town. But this course had all of that. The disc golf reminded me of a lot of other 2.5-3.5 courses, but it fits this locale perfectly.

I had trouble linking this site to GPS but the narrative directions were perfect. Especially the warning about local trafic. Grab water before you come - no gas station off the I-76 exit. Fair amount of bugs.

I wouldn't recommend traveling to Philly just for this course, but if you were there already I'd highly recommend one of the weekly club events.

Sedgley Woods

5+    7/6/2013   7/16/2013
Review By: crispy13fsw
Pros: 27 Historic Holes of Disc Golf. The original 18 are for beginners, while the "outback" nine will test even the best game. 99% of the people are very friendly. I learned my disc golf game here and the course will teach you to be technically sound.

Weekly tags rounds with a lot of membership support. FSW proudly boasts over 200 active members.
Cons: It is a tight course on the front 18. Hearing "FORE" a lot is not un-common. The course is always a work in progress. New tee pads and new signs are going in. If more people packed out what they packed in, the litter would disappear, but since it is in the middle of Philly, good luck with that.

Great course

2-4    12/21/2012   12/31/2012
Review By: Buchajs1
This review was updated on 6/24/2013
Pros: This review is not based on the back nine because I did not play it when I was there

Great atmosphere- I went to this course with a couple people who had never been there before and they were overwhelmed by the friendliness of the locals being that this course is not in the best part of Philadelphia.

Practice baskets- there were several. This accommodated to the crowd that was there when I played.

Well defined fairways- this course made had well defined fairways as well as tight but fair.

Creative use of elevation- they used what they had this park and used the elevation that they were given with the space very well.

Teepads- teepads were in good shape and provided good footing.multiple teepads on each hole providing some variety for the locals, as well as providing beginners through pros with tees to fit there skill level

Secluded-this park is only used for disc golf woods are fun and secluded.
Cons: Tee signs-these were not clear and i found myself playing most of the red tees because I could not see the line to the basket

Adjacent holes were to close- fairmount park is huge! Yet I still found myself wondering if the guy on the next teepads was in harms way when I was throwing

Crowded- this place knots lays all year round will have at least one group on every hole
Other Thoughts: This course is short, don't come here expecting holes where you can air it out. Most of the holes were short so a midrange can be thrown and you can still shoot well. I do not view this s a con because the course was built so long ago

Good course with older charm

1    12/23/2012   12/26/2012
Review By: BobbyC13
Pros: The course is a lot of fun and the people who maintain it are very creative. It is a true disc golf atmosphere here with multiple practice baskets, a campfire at the course entry and places to sit down on ever hole. Even though it is a shorter course, it was indeed a fun layout and the locals were friendly, I am from GA. The park is not tough to get to and has several tee pads per hole. I believe there were 4. Good Rubber Mat teepads throughout.
Cons: I can't say a shorter course is a negative thing, but I did only tee off with something other then a Buzzz on one of the 27 holes. Not all the tee pads have tee signs and I found my self walking up a pad from the Gold tees to see where the hole was to be played. Several of the pads are right next to the previous holes basket and that was really odd and dangerous! The walk from 18 to hole 19 was not bad but the walk from 22 to 23 I believe was a random trail and it was muddy and wet as can. Some of the holes were just silly in my opinion, and some of the Gold tees just seemed to be squeezed in there with little regard for throwing lanes or fairness. The Red tees were solid as a played a few of those as well. The baskets of the first 18 holes were older and narrow.
Other Thoughts: This course was indeed a lot of fun and I did thoroughly enjoy myself. I aced hole 18 Gold and that was fantastic!!! I did like the challenge of the Gold tees but I'd recommend playing Blue or Red instead for your first time out. I'm a 901 rated player and shot a few under from Gold's on the full 27.

Nice course in the heart of Philly!

1    10/12/2012   10/15/2012
Review By: slvravn
Pros: - 27 holes makes fro a great round of disc golf.
- The back 9 really makes you feel like you are not in Philly and makes great use of the natural area.
- The front 18 is pretty short and makes for a nice uncomplicated round.
- Multiple tee boxes can really change the way the course is played.
- Love the benches scattered around the course and the marked putting area.
- Great parking for the course.
- Great community for DG in the area.
Cons: - Can be very crowded at times. Watch your throws and throws from surrounding holes.
- Hole signage needs to be updated and in some cases replaced. If this is your first time playing it can be hard to know where the baskets are.
- Some of the tee boxes are in need of repairs

Great all around course

5+    9/10/2012   9/17/2012
Review By: vwjettaglivr6
Pros: Being that it's a full legit 27 holes, it provides a great opportunity for a plethora of types to play. Lunch break, swing by and play the back 9; Day trip, play the whole 27. Not too many trees compared to other courses.
Cons: Could use some love to the tees and signs considering how popular the course seems to be.

Home base

5+    8/10/2012   8/21/2012
Review By: iHitTree
This review was updated on 3/30/2013
Pros: I love that it is a unique open woods course although some could maybe argue that it is open enough with trees tall enough to be considered a blended woods/field course. 27 free holes is always a big plus. There are opportunities for various throws/lines that you wish to (or have to) use, with a few chances to air some out, but many shots you'll probably use a middy or fairway driver on, except a few big hyzer shots for line shaping. For a par 3 course, this is a moderately difficult to shoot under par, which I like. "Outback" has some crafty challenging holes tracing a protected field with a crumbling house seemingly from colonial times. Hole #25, which I refer to as "The Mound" because of the basket on top of the largest looking anthill in the world, has an incredible view of Kelly Drive and the Schuylkill River, one of the best views in mid-Atlantic disc golf in my opinion. The Disc Alien lost and found is a fun, creative idea. Hole #20 from yellow/red tee has one of the thinnest most insane initial gaps that can turn your par 3 into a double bogey if you tree it--love it! Hole #13 from hilltop to hilltop over a woods valley is a great hole and a great memory for me (I hit the post and taunted my younger brother to beat that and he aced it, but he sadly passed away this spring but I will always thank hole #13 for that memory). Hole #2 is a thin fairway with a late bootleg uphill into the woods, making it a beautiful and difficult par 3. Hole #12 is also a super thin and long hole that requires a perfect second shot to par. Friendly people hanging around and selling discs and beverages. So many "chill" benches around the course. I can't say enough positive about this place.
Cons: This course is the only course in the city of Philadelphia, so it can get crowded and because it has shorter holes on 1-18, it attracts inexperienced groups that can slow you up, but most people on the course understand the etiquette of allowing smaller and/or more experiences players to play through. It is also about time for a tee sign update. The tee signs really need to be improved and consistent. That is about it for the minuses. Baskets very close to subsequent tee pads so be careful--get your vocal cords ready for "FORE!"
Other Thoughts: Pretty much the OG'est of courses! Pretty sure this was the 2nd course ever in the world. This course is one of the first I ever played. I started playing in 2002, and I was a Drexel student right around the corner from 2004-2008 so this has been one of my 3 home courses (Brandywine in DE and Nixon in Kennett Square are the other 2).

Control Game

1    7/27/2012   8/10/2012
Review By: swatso
Pros:
Three nine-hole loops.

Three tee locations (blue, yellow, red; easiest-to-hardest) per hole.
Cons:
On the front eighteen, tees are often close to prior baskets, and some fairways being quite close to others.

On the back nine, higher chance of disc loss. Bit of a walk after 27 - past 20's tee, down 19's fairway.

Other Thoughts: The course, playing under and around the scattered trees and bushes of a public park not very far from downtown Philadelphia, definitely breaks into two distinct sections - the front-18, and the newer back-9.

Depending upon which tees you play, the holes on the front-18 will average ~225'-265' in length, while on the last-9, ~220'-300' are the ranges, so this course is definitely about control, not blasting away.

The holes on the front-18 hit you with the full array of control challenges - variable size windows, and their locations in the flightpath, subtle elevation changes, turns of various shape and severity. Numbers 13-14, with the thick amount of trees between the tee and basket, practically force you to go up-n-over the trees to have any chance for a deuce. Experienced player hitting their lines should have a plethora of birdy attempts, and even an initial miss will likely result in a par, as the holes are short, and being off-line means you're probably in a neighbouring fairway.

The back-9 offers a different type of challenge. Flightpaths are, for the most part, fairly straight, but the trees/shule forming the throwing lanes are thicker, so an errant initial throw will often be more difficult to recover from.

A really great course to work on your control game, but I'm not sure I'd want to play it when it was busy, unless I was wearing a helmet!

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5